Just Roommates

By pina_colada_9876

Meet Diya Gupta an ambitious, independent, self made party girl whose life revolves around her company and s... More

The Veil
48 hours prior
48 hours prior- Part 2
Aftermath of the wedding
From Arjun
Getting Drunk
How to handle a drunk girl
from the author
logger heads
and it begins
being a trouble
lambi kahani hai
wifely duties
The ritual
Coffee?
Lipstick isn't for the cheek
The merger
The Merger - II
partition
relax, you're not going to let them down
Contract
Rajgera
Lost
welcome aboard
Lizard Alert
Arjun Sir
you know it, Arjun
Dive
Important
Rakhi
the basket ball affair
The heart wants what it wants
page number 229
Horror movie
Kuch toh log kahenge
Condom
Twist in the tale
Whirlpool
is this good bye
Meeta's back
Guy count
Try me
karva chauth
Thunder roars
jhooth
midnight cravings
wedding
The union
Epilogue
bonus?
note

it's fine

11.5K 494 10
By pina_colada_9876

Diya, Dev and sumitra walked briskly after the doctors who took Manish on a stretcher. 

"Dev, wait with mom here, I've unlocked the phone, try calling Arjun, I'm with papa, don't worry" Diya knew that Dev was too young and not mature enough to handle this stuff. He was an emotional mess right now, after all it was his father! Sumitra too was a wreck right now, tears wouldn't stop trickling down her eyes. She walked in with the doctor and spoke to him about all the formalities and form filling that were supposed to be done. 

Dev tried calling Arjun again and again. Arjun who was driving suddenly saw Diya's name on the caller ID. He quickly picked it up, "Hello, diya, I have been waiting f-"

"Bhaiya......bhaiya" Dev interjected with panic

"Dev?" Arjun said as he checked the phone to recheck the caller id and on confirming that it was Diya, "Why do you have Diya's phone! did she come home? What's the matter? is she okay?"

"Bhaiya...papa..stroke...citihospital...come..fast"

Arjun put the phone down, cursed himself and sped away to the hospital.

Meanwhile DIya's phone got hanged for a moment, dev began clicking on it to make it work, suddenly somehow he ended up opening a video in her gallery, He saw the same video footage that Diya had seen a few days ago. Arjun, aanchal and the red negligee. Dev gasped. He put his hand on his mouth! His brother had cheated on Diya, that's why they were getting a divorce. 

He felt hurt, Diya was like an older sister to them, their bond had grown so much in the past few months, and he had seen Diya and Arjun look at each other. It hurt him that his brother was giving up on such a beautiful life because of one stupid mistake.

He saw Diya come out with the doctor, her hair was tied in a bun and she was just as frantic as all of them. 

"Diya, we need to run a few more tests and keep him under observation to confirm anything at the moment, I'm going to try my level best and you know it" The doctor said holding Diya's shoulder. Diya put both her palms on her mouth and sighed, "Thanks Shashaank just let me know anything first okay? Maa is already very worried and Dev is young right now, just let me know anything first okay?"

"Yeah don't worry" Dr. shashaank gave her a repressed smile. 

"Thanks shashaank" She said as they quickly embraced.

Diya slowly walked towards Dev . But in that moment something broke in Dev, here was a woman who his brother had cheated upon and yet she was standing there with them. And his father? His father just had a stroke! He may or may not be able to see his father again. Diya stroked Dev's shoulder and she suddenly saw Dev curling himself onto her. He put his head on Diya's shoulder and sobbed, "Bhabhi, papa!"

"Shh Dev" Diya said almost choking, she was just as frantic. "Shh, listen to me, nothing is going to happen to papa, okay" She stroked his hair like he was a child

"Listen to me baba, what will papa say when he comes out? tum toh papa ke brave bacche ho na? Look at me, if you cry like this then who will console maa?" She said as she controlled her tears and tried to assure Dev as she wiped his tears.

"Shh, nothing will happen to papa, you know Shashaank is one of the most accomplished Doctors of the city, he wont let anything happen to papa" She tried lying, after all papa's condition wasn't in Shashaank's hands. They'd run tests and then figure out anything at all.

She took him by the shoulder and made him sit next to Sumitra. It was almost 1. She went to the canteen and got them two coffees and some biscuits. With great difficulty she convinced them to have it.

Sumitra sat their pale, almost lifelessly. Diya bent down and took Sumitra's hand in her hand, slightly squeezing it. "Maa, papa will be fine, don't worry, please". Arjun soon entered the hospital, the emergency ward, his eyes fell on his family and he rushed to them. A vulnerable Dev tightly embraced him forgetting what he had seen a few hours ago. Arjun bent down to where Diya was, Diya determined not to make eye contact got up and moved away. He held her mother's hand and gave her repressed smile, saying that everything would be okay. He tried to comfort her, not even knowing what exactly had happened to his father.

He got up, his dull eyes enquired, "Hey, how is papa?"

"They're running tests on him right now" The both of them spoke with awkward pauses in between. Like they were strangers.

"Thanks for coming" Arjun added

"I call him papa Arjun, don't thank me" long pause

"comfort maa and Dev, they're a wreck" Diya said. Arjun noticed her her puffy eyes, swollen read nose. She had definitely cried. And you? he wanted to ask

"I have to complete some formalities, be right back" She said plainly touching his arm to assert her support.

Diya heard the doctor call out to her, Arjun looked at her and then the doctor and then without any verbal exchange, the both of them scooted after him in his cabin.

"Arjun this is an old friend, Shashaank, I'm sorry, I meant Dr. Shashaank" Diya awkwardly said as the two men politely bent to shake their hands. "Shashaank, this is Arjun"

Shashaank looked at Diya and raised his eyebrows, wondering Arjun who?, "Oh I'm so sorry, he is Arjun Goenka, Mr. Goenka's son" Diya frantically explained

"And your husband?" The doctor said still seeming a little confused

"yeah" Diya and Arjun replied in unison trying not to make things look odd.

"Enough with the pleasantries then come on, have a seat" the doc said sitting on his chair

"Arjun, Diya Mr. goenka did have a stroke but I think you're really lucky that it was just a  TIA Transient Ischemic attack"

"You mean a mini stroke?" Arjun interrupted him

"Yes, yes, a mini stroke, I mean the reasons can be multiple you know, age, lifestyle, stress, was he under any undue stress you know recently? Or did you reveal anything to him in about the last few days?" The doc said

"Yeah" Arjun said his head hung low. Diya quickly turned to him and looked at him, gasping for a moment. Was it the news of the divorce!? How had she even taken the decision without thinking of both Manish and Sumitra who treated her like a daughter! 

"Well that is your personal problem then, right know we will only put him on medication, continuous monitoring of his vitals are must and I don't suggest surgery or anything as of now. The tests show that he is responding. We'll keep him over night, maybe tomorrow night as well, just to observe"

"Right" diya nodded as she went through the medicine prescriptions

"I know it's not my place, but I've known Diya since we were kids and I just feel like i Should tell you, TIA is a warning before an actual or a more critical stroke and to avoid a condition you need to need to avoid stress and begin policing Mr. Goenka's lifestyle, I think I can leave that upon you Diya?" He added giving the couple a repressive smile. He got up and with him Arjun and Diya did too. Arjun put his hand forward again for a handshake which Dr. Shashaank took followed by an embrace for Diya, "Hey don't worry he'll be alright and when you begin policing him, there will be nothing to worry about!" the doctor politely added. Diya smiled, while a part of Arjun twitched. 

He wanted to hug Diya right now, especially right now when everything was a wreck!

-

"What did the doctor say?" Dev came running towards him

"Nothing don't worry, it was a minor stroke, papa is perfectly normal now, they're keeping him under observation tonight, so Arjun and I will stay while you and Maa can go home" Diya explained to him as she held his chin.

"Arjun bhaiya doesn't have to stay, I'll stay" Dev declared without looking at Arjun

"No Dev, maa needs you right now-" Diya tried to reason

"Oh please, if Arjun Bhaiya really cared that much that he would've caused all this" Dev snapped

"Dev!" Diya exclaimed

"You think I did all this because I wanted to! You think I wanted to see papa like this! He had to find the truth some day!" Arjun snapped back at him

"Then why didn't you tell him the entire truth haan? That the divorce wasn't because you and bhabhi don't want to live together, it's because you cheated on her with that Aanchal!" Dev spat

"Dev, shut up, what are you saying! Who told you all this!" Diya added. Arjun and her weren't ready for this confrontation yet. She didn't need this right now

"Stop defending him bhabhi! I saw that video on that phone, I had no intention to spy but the phone wasnt working and i kept clicking stuff until it went to the video! you don't deserve to be near papa right now, Arjun bhaiya!" Dev said choking up

"DEV SHUT UP! You know nothing!" Arjun retaliated

"God I hate you! How could you do this to papa, to bhabhi, to maa! Bhabhi really deserves someone better, and you, you don't deserve to be called our bro-"

"Dev that video is fake" Diya interjected

"Bhabhi I am not a child I kno-"

"I got that video made to make Arjun give me a divorce" Diya lied smoothly, Arjun turned to look  at her, stunned. 

"What!? How could you! Oh my god! And I thought bhaiya was at fault! How could you stoop so low! bhaiya accepted you with everything and this is what you did to him! this is what you did to my father! I can't believe it! oh my god, bhaiya deserves so much better, so much better" Dev said tearing up as he started walking backwards ran towards his mother and took her home

"Why did you lie to him?"

"He was vulnerable, he could've held this against you for his entire life"

"And why were you concerned about me?"

"No, I was concerned about Dev, he can get many bhabhis but he only has one brother, and I shouldn't be the reason that he loses his brother" Diya said choking. She got called by the doctor that very moment. Arjun slowly moved towards  the balcony next to the ward, and it suddenly sunk into him, what could have happened to his father. He wanted to change everything that had happened in the past few weeks. He just wanted that warm, fuzzy feeling he felt every night before sleeping and waking up to come back, alas, he hadn't slept in days!

"Arjun" Diya slowly touched his shoulder to disturb his thoughts

She was going to explain to him the medicines but when he turned and she looked at his face, she sensed the grief, as if he had suddenly broken. Diya cupped his face, now was no time to bring out the animosity, it was his father! All the other things seemed almost childish.

"Hey, it will be alright, you heard shashaank, papa will be fine Arjun"

"It's all my fault" Arjun said, his eyes watering as he shoved his head in the crook of her neck, while she ruffled through his hair, rubbing it, slowly. "No Arjun don't be silly, don't take Dev seriosuly, he is just a kid, it isn't your fault, it's okay, shhh, it's okay, he'll get better and you know then the both of us can go apologize to him" She said, this time unable to resist even she dropped a few tears down her cheek. 

The both of them led each other to the chairs outside the ward and put themselves there. Forgetting all the hostility, questions, answers, ego, love everything, they rest their heads on each other and drifted off to sleep. A good sleep in ages!

-

"It's been two days did you talk to Dev?" Diya asked as they waited at the chemist in the hospital. Arjun yawned. They hadn't slept the nights in between, Manish had been shifted to the room and both of them took turns on staying in the room for one hour each to keep a check on him.  

"He'll be fine, don't worry" Arjun said taking the packet of medicines from the hand of the chemist

"What about meeta" Arjun said trying to mine into the conversation

"what about her" Diya asked, studying each and every medicine carefully

"You know, how is she, is she back yet, just general stuff" Arjun asked, he wasn't interested a bit but things you had to delve into to make small talk

"She is okay, good, happy actually," Diya said nodding, Arjun nodded back. They had reached the ward by then, Diya saw Dr. Shashaank waiting for them with a nurse holding the reports

"You can take him home" Dr. Shashaank said smiling 

"Oh my god! really!!? That's such a relief!" Diya said sighing

"No, no, not so early, Diya you have to be with him at all times, I have explained to you all the vitals monitoring and the medicines, atleast for the next 15 days, you'll have to be at his bedside" Dr. Shashaank warned, he then looked at Arjun pointed at Diya and said, "Oh if this one decides to do something and police someone, then us doctors have nothing to worry about" with a light chuckle. Arjun smiled back. 

They entered the room together. Dr. Shashaank jovially added to Manish who was lying on the bed, "Mr. Goenka, congratulations, you can go home now! And don't worry at all, Diya is not going to go anywhere now, she is taped to your bedside for a few days now"

Manish smiled at the doctor and Diya. 

"I'll get the insurance papers, discharge summary and all" Arjun left the room. Diya stood there, collecting all the belongings, soon the nurse came there, added a few injections and after a few moments, removed the butterfly bandages. 

She explained to diya once again the course of medication and the checking of vitals. Soon Arjun was back after filling the formalities and with the help of  a wheel chair, Manish was put into the car.

As Arjun drove, manish said, "Diya, beta you don't have to stay here for me, I shouldn't be the reason to dictate anyone's life"

Diya who was now well aware of what had happened that day, smiled and turned back, "Papa, this Arjun na, he's got a temper just like you, don't mind it papa, he was just mad that he was getting the flak of what both of us deserved, but papa please, you don't have to worry about all this now, we'll figure it out, for now, I am going to be at your bedside, and ensure that there is no achaar and old monk!" Diya said trying to sound cheerful yet with her index finger erect, trying to warn him whimsically

Manish excitedly grabbed this opportunity, if she were to stay for 15 days with them then Arjun and Diya would get some more time together. Maybe he could get them to change their minds about it. He lightly laughed with all the left over energy in his body.

-

Diya readied her bed on the sofa next to Manish and Sumitra's room. It was Arjun's turn to ensure that all the medicines were taken. Dev walked there with his pillow and sheet and rudely stated that he was going to sleep there. 

Arjun came outside and noticed this. "Dev! That's not the way you talk to her!" He hissed

"Arjun it's okay" Diya said in a lower tone

"Why bhaiya, why are you being so defensive about her? Mehul bhai told me everything, that she even tried to steal money!" 

Diya stood there dumbstruck. She immediately looked away. "Mehul lied to you, he lied to me too! And whatever it is, it's between me and Diya, she is still the daughter in law of this house, still my wife and hence still your bhabhi, so you dare not cross that line!" Arjun scolded him

"But bhaiya! That video, she made-"

"She didn't make it, are you stupid, that video is real, but I didn't cheat on her, I never would, That's it, this conversation ends here" Arjun said and furiously walked to his room. While Dev stood there in confusion

Diya suddenly felt a pang of ferocity hit her, she briskly walked behind Arjun, and entered the room behind him slamming the door.

"What point were you trying to make, down stairs? Huh, what were you trying to prove in form of Dev?" She furiously asked

"I was giving you an answer for your questions"

"Oh really? and did I ask for any answers? Did I!?" She retaliated

"So you don't want any answers? Tell me, look me in the eye, tell me, Diya, tell me do you have no questions for me!?" Arjun asked as he squeezed her arm and brought his face closer to yours

"NO, I DON'T!" Diya said looking into his eyes and almost instantly looking away. 

"It's your life! you can love whoever you want and sleep with whoever you want, I don't care, anyways, all this was anyways a natak only right?" Diya added using his words against him

"Why don't you believe me? I didn't go there for sleeping with her! Mehul told me that she tried to commit suicide!" Arjun cried out

"Why? how? How should i believe you haan? Tell me? Did you for once think about confirming your suspicions, asking me, if I knew anything about those transactions? Did you? NO! It took you seconds to label me a 'gold digger', after everything that I did! I am selfish Arjun, but I also have my fucking self respect!"

"oh okay, couldn't you have told me once? After everything that happened between us, did you not think that you could've told me that Meeta was pregnant or that you got a letter form her or that she needed money!?" he cried out 

"Did you tell me Arjun? when you took my letter and hid it, did you tell me!" Diya interjected

"That was months ago okay! I was mad at all of you! but this was right then, when everything was normal! You could've told me once! just once!" Arjun roared

"Tell you what! That Arjun your fiancee who left you at the wedding alter is carrying some other man's child in her womb!? WHat should I have told you!? I was trying to fucking protect you!" Diya said, equally loud

"And what did you do? Unashamedly brought up my past, digging behind my back! You think you were a casual relationship for me!? You were sleeping around someone else because we didn't touch each other for 5 days, was it still casual for me!?" Diya spat out

"I didn't sleep with her Diya, oh my god, believe me!" Arjun roared, "She tried to poison my mind with your past, I was mad then and just spat everything out, I didn't mean it, I am sorry just please, I am sorry" He added apologetically

"It's okay Arjun, how does it matter now, it's your life, you can sleep with or love anyone you want, it's fine, you should be glad right, this is what you wanted, for us to be done" Diya said pointing at her and then Arjun and zoomed out of the room.

-

In the next 4 or 5 days, Diya became a part of the hosuehold again, except now, she avoided Arjun as much as she could. She had no intention to speak to him or get into any other confrontation. She was staying there just for the sake of manish or so she told herself.

She took her purse and came down to the table, "Maa, actually we are having Meeta's baby shower today so I'll have to go home today" The mention of Meeta's name made the table awkward.

Diya continued, "Actually Badi maa and mom wanted to invite all of you, but you know"

Manish sensing the tension on the table suddenly added, "oh Diya beta perfect, take them all, you also go, take this Arjun, Dev, Sumitra, atleast I'll get some relief from all these green veggies!"

"No Diya, none of us will come" Sumitra declared gloomily. After all Meeta had caused them so much disgrace and disrespect.

"Yeah maa, I understand" Diya said as she acknowledged them all and began walking away,

"Diya, Arjun will come though" Diya and Arjun were both taken aback

"but maa-" Arjun began

"You both are still married, Arjun is still the son in law of that house, and after all it's an auspicious occasion, he will certainly be there" Sumitra declared after much thought. Diya realized how difficult it maybe for Arjun to come and simply nodded in acknowledgement before leaving.

'you don't have to come if you don't want to, maa will never find out' She texted him from the way

'okay' came a reply. 

fer

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

29.8K 1.8K 34
Unedited! Is it wrong to have feelings towards your husband ?? Yes, it is, in Amaya's case. Amaya, a girl whose life is controlled by her parents, sh...
759K 35.7K 43
"Mom!" I whined. "Stop crying like a little girl" my mother snapped. "I can't marry a guy I barely know" I followed her to the kitchen like a lost pu...
787K 41.6K 82
This book contains triggering things like stalking, I don't know what I was thing while writing this. And I was a stupid teenager. Sorry for that! P...
44.9K 2.2K 74
He was a ruthless business man. Meet Arjun Venkatraman CEO of AV Tech, one of India's biggest tech companies. He is a cold blooded boss who would st...