Amore Mio (#4)

By reetilicious

(BOOK 4 OF MAFIA LOVE SERIES) Read Mia Regina, Escort Me Baby, and Mio Re before this. *** I woke up in a pla... More

Author's Note
Cast
Chapter 1: Lost And Found
Chapter 2: Dangerous Silence
Chapter 3: Bonferroni Whore
Chapter 4: Peace To The Dead
Chapter 5: Truce
Chapter 6: Sinful Preparations
Chapter 7: Bloody Auction
Chapter 8: Minutes Of Paradise
Chapter 9: Almost Is Never Enough
Chapter 10: From Fire We Rise
Chapter 11: Tigress
Chapter 13: Certainty
Chapter 14: Luciano
Chapter 15: The Man In Black
Chapter 16: Brawling Brothers
Chapter 17: Tor-Sesh, Duh!
Chapter 18: The Breach
Chapter 19: The Hall Of Pain
Chapter 20: Tears Of Blood
Chapter 21: The Tales
Chapter 22: Ghost Of The Past
Chapter 23: Moments Of Healing
Chapter 24: Questions
Chapter 25: The Red Queen
Chapter 26: The Setup
Chapter 27: The Tiger's Wrath
Chapter 28: Estle-Azallion
Chapter 29: The Blood Queen
Chapter 30: The Lethal Kiss
Chapter 31: The Address
Chapter 32: Oderint Dum Metuant
Chapter 33: To Serve The King
Chapter 34: Monsters In My Head
Chapter 35: Miracle Of Birth And Death
Chapter 36: And Then I Lost
Chapter 37: Family Reunion
Chapter 38: Beast
Chapter 39: Court Of Blood
Chapter 40: Sibling Rivalry

Chapter 12: Survivor

32.4K 1.3K 3.3K
By reetilicious

Vote, comment, and share this story with your friends. ENJOY! ❤️

Point out any errors ❤️

——————————————————

(Arie's POV)

          "Get me the first aid kit, Lee," Athena ordered the man in the small control room of the charter boat that soared through the sea.

          Lee walked out with the kit and handed it to Athena a bit solemnly.

          Athena exhaled a bit harshly, trying to keep her frustration under control. "I know Hector was your friend, but he was a liability, sweetheart." Athena stroked Lee's clean-shaven cheek. He seemed young, maybe the same age as me, but his height made him tower over Athena like a lamppost. "You made sure we couldn't be followed, right?"

          "Of course." Lee let a tiny smile tug on the corners of his mouth. "I tampered with their boats so they won't be able to follow us anytime soon."

          "Good boy."

          Athena patted his face then walked over to Lawrence's unconscious body. She pulled out a gauze wrap from the kit and began bandaging up the open area where his elbow used to be. She didn't want him dead just yet and neither did I. Any amount of information from him could lead us to the ones responsible. Besides, I couldn't let his death be easy. For all the girls he had sold to monsters as slaves, he'd pay slowly and brutally. I'd make sure of it.

          After she was done with him, she dragged his body to the control room and laid him inside the tiny area. She then checked the bandage on my neck and changed it. I knew I had probably torn a stitch or two open during the whole fiasco.

          "You need to get checked out when we get on land," she muttered.

          "Do you need to get checked too?" I asked.

          "I wasn't injured by them."

          "I'm talking about the stab wounds from th—"

"I can handle myself, Arie. Worry about yourself, not me."

I rolled my eyes at her once she was done. "Why are you always like that? So cold?"

Athena scoffed, discarding the old dressing into a plastic bag. "Because I prefer the cold. Once you're warm, people expect that warmth all the time. Everyone knows I'm a bitch, but I'm a bitch who gets things done one way or another. I have a reputation to uphold and I shall hold it up with pride. I don't kiss ass and I will never."

She turned around, dismissing me as if I was insignificant. I was too exhausted and in pain to continue this or argue. She wasn't wrong though. Although her ways were sometimes brutal, she got things done, and I could never imagine her kissing someone's ass. That was beneath her.

          Robyn cuddled up into my embrace and whimpered as I ran my fingers up and down her unruly brown locks. My eyes were glued to Athena who had her back to me. The flaps of her jacket were dangling to her sides, her head looking down. I could tell she was tending to her own wounds that I assumed were from when she came to save me back in California. She threw aside cotton balls of blood. Like a lone wolf, she did everything herself. I would've offered my assistance, but I knew she'd refuse. She was too proud like the rest of the Bonferroni family.

She threw all the bloody balls and rags into the plastic bag and pitched it aside. Her body was rigid even with her back to me. Her head was turned upward, probably staring at the full moon as the cold air whooshed through her hair violently. I could see the slight tremble of her hands before she formed them into tight fists. I wasn't sure if it was the cold that caused it or if it was the thought of what she had done. Beheading someone wasn't an everyday thing, not even for a woman like her who was always proper and poised.

With a water bottle, she cleaned the blood off her hands and face before finally settling down on the bench opposite ours where Lawrence had been sitting. Her eyes studied Robyn silently as the girl was slowly beginning to calm down in my embrace.

"What's your name?" Athena asked, leaning forward on her knees.

Robyn looked at Athena. She was wary as any girl in her position would be. She was traumatized. After another second of reluctance, Robyn opened her mouth. "Robyn Wood."

Athena hummed and patted the bench next to her. "Sit with me. I have a few questions for you."

          Robyn looked at me hesitantly, seeking my approval. Amidst this fiasco, she had formed a bond of trust with me and clung onto me as if I was her only hope, her safe space which instilled a sense of protection in me for her.

          I gave her a nod and untangled her from me. She stood with the blanket wrapped around her small frame and trudged toward Athena before sinking down beside her.

          "What's your name?" Robyn queried.

          An amusing smile settled on Athena's lips with the girl's prying question. If it were anyone else, Athena wouldn't have cared enough to answer or would've made up a fake name, but she answered honestly. "You can call me Athena."

          Tears accumulated in Robyn's brown eyes at once as her lips began to quiver. "That was my mum's name too."

          There were no emotions on Athena's face as she wiped away the tears that swept down Robyn's cheeks. She kept her stoic expression intact and acted indifferent. Everyone in the mafia was trained to be like that. Knowing the kind of person Athena was, it wasn't a whole lot surprising. The woman had chopped a forearm and a head earlier.

          Athena lifted Robyn's head up with a finger under her chin. "Tell me how you ended up here."

          Robyn swallowed her emotions and sniffled. "I-I was in Thailand on a vacation with my parents. We were surrounded late night and they killed them."

"They were murdered in front of you?"

Robyn nodded, her features distorting with the tears she was trying to hold back. "They cut their th-throats." The poor girl broke down helplessly and my heart clenched at the sight.

I had lost my parents when I was young too, but I hadn't witnessed them being murdered before my very eyes. I didn't understand how anyone could get past that, especially someone that young.

"Hey, listen to me." Athena cupped Robyn's face and forced the girl's eyes to hers. "Do you have any family you could go home to?"

Robyn shook her head. "I'm all alone now."

A sigh escaped Athena's mouth as she wiped away the girl's tears. "There's a place I can take you, but it's your decision to make."

Robyn looked at me for approval once again, but I couldn't make that decision for her. I knew Leo's organization had taken children in who later worked for them, and I was certain that was what Athena was implying. Robyn would become a part of the mafia if she accepted, and that was something I couldn't decide for her because once she was in, she'd be in till death. There had to be another way.

Athena redirected Robyn's attention to herself by turning her head. "Don't ask for her permission. This is supposed to be your decision and about what you want. Once we are under safer circumstances, I can explain everything properly and what all will happen. Then you must decide, alright?"

          "Okay," the girl nodded.

          I had finally noticed Athena's softened gaze under the light pooling out from the control room that only housed a single light bulb. It was a rare sight. Usually, her eyes were hard, cocky, or full of rage, but it was different this time around as she moved aside the blanket covering Robyn's frame and reached for her arms. She observed them silently. Bruises stained the fair skin around Robyn's wrists. She had been glued to my chest—sobbing—that I hadn't gotten the chance to ask her if she had been hurt. I feared the worst.

          "Did they hurt you?" Athena looked all over the girl's arms, face, and neck. "Were you violated in any way?"

          Robyn looked down at her bruised wrists in sorrow. "They were really harsh when holding me. I was slapped a few times when I cried, but that was it."

"If anything else happened, tell me now." Athena's voice became firmer and authoritative. "Do not hide anything from me."

Robyn shook her head meekly. "That was it."

          I exhaled as relief washed over me. She'd have another trauma to live with if Lawrence's men had violated her, but thankfully, that wasn't the case.

          Athena hummed in response and covered the girl back up in the blanket. "You're exhausted, I'm sure. Would you like to sleep?"

          Robyn nodded.

          Athena got up and grabbed the remaining two blankets from the ground. Robyn stood and allowed Athena to put down one blanket on the bench to make it a bit more comfortable before she folded the other one up to cushion the girl's head.

          "We have some time before we get to the coast, so rest up until then."

          Robyn curled her body on the bench and closed her eyes immediately. Sleep was an escape from the harsh reality, and she soon slipped away with it. Athena stood there for a few minutes and stroked Robyn's untamed brown locks until she was in a deep slumber.

          I had always seen Athena as a bitch I could never stand to even look at sometimes, but I realized there were different sides to this incomprehensible woman. The ruthless beast inside her had raged today, maiming and severing body parts with a single machete. I didn't know what she had done to the men on the island behind me, but I was sure there were more headless bodies than I could count.

          But on this boat, I saw her in a different light. The little bit of compassion she had inside her emerged with Robyn. I knew she wasn't a good person. No one in this sickening world was. I had personally strayed far from being the good little girl I was years ago. But Athena made the decision to rescue this fifteen-year-old whom she didn't have to and risk her life yet again when she could've escaped with me without raising any alarm. She seized control of this hellacious situation and rescued us both effortlessly.

          I was beginning to understand why she was loved and admired by the Bonferroni family. Everyone working for the family gave Athena the same respect as their bosses and feared her just the same. She was strong and fiercely loyal even after falling out with Leo and Mike. It was fairly decent to be around her now that we weren't at each other's throats. I was sure she had so much more to her, so many more layers that she hid behind a façade which left me curious about her past. No one was born like this.

          Athena sat beside me and sighed as she slouched a little. Silence stretched between us in the gloomy, cold night. The wind due to the moving boat made the cold even more brutal. My face was beginning to freeze up, but Athena sat there unbothered by any of it. Either she didn't feel any of it or she was too proud to show that she was cold too. The former was highly unlikely.

          I untangled the blanket from around myself and scooted closer to her with a wince to stretch it over her body so we both could be protected from the icy night. Athena's eyes drilled into my head, her brow cocking up with suspicion.

          "Arie, did you hit your head or something?" She seemed very puzzled by my behavior, a deep frown settling on her forehead. I wasn't sure if she was joking or not by the evident distress clinging onto her features. "I don't know if you remember this, but I'm Athena, Athena Estle, a woman you're supposed to hate."

          "For fuck's sake, I don't hate you." I rolled my eyes at her then saw the hint of a smirk lingering on her lips. Of course, she was fucking with me. She was too good at pretending. Eerily good. However, it was true; I didn't hate her. "I don't think I thanked you for sticking up for me against Leo and Mike when it came to the kids and for coming to my rescue again."

          Athena hummed once again. "I don't get impressed easily, but you did that when you stood up to Leo and his family when they took a shot at you. Very few people have the courage to do so. As for the spawns of Leo and Mike, you kept them safe for years which was the most important thing. Your valor is reckless but commendable." She spared me a quick look then turned to look at the sky. "Leo has suffered many losses in his life and has had too many traumatic experiences, Arie. There are many things he must've not spoken to you about because he has locked everything behind a thick wall that he won't even acknowledge at this point."

          I knew there were numerous things Leo hadn't confided in me about. I didn't even know the extent of his business fully or how he even managed it all considering he was on a different continent every other day. We never had enough time together for him to open up to me about it all, but I was going to make sure that changed. I wasn't going anywhere this time.

Finding myself surrounded by these circumstances made me realize what I needed the most in my life, and it was Leo. I had grown a thicker skin after all that had happened so far, and being with Leo didn't scare me. It never did. I feared losing my family, but I wasn't afraid of losing them anymore because I knew I could protect them. Leo could protect them. We were the strongest together and could walk through hellfire hand-in-hand. No matter how far we were thrown apart, we'd find our way back to each other like magnets. After all, I was the queen to his hell and he was the king to mine.

          Athena continued on despite my mindless thoughts. "Zee always kept me updated on you, and she informed me immediately regarding your abduction. Leo didn't need another person to mourn when I knew he'd never recover from the grief of losing you. Sure, he loved Verona very much, but you were always his true love. I knew it the very first time he introduced you to me at my party. The way he spoke of you was..." Athena paused briefly, seeming to be at a loss for words which was odd for her.

"That was the first time I had seen him so alive in a very long time. He wasn't like that with Verona, and even she knew Leo's heart belonged to you. You've always been his once-in-a-lifetime kind of love which is why I was furious when you broke his heart and walked away. I watched him die inside every single day after that. He truly loves you because he let you walk away from this life before. Everyone else who has tried to leave has been escorted out in a casket or in pieces. That's the only way out.

"I know," I whispered softly, not knowing what else to say. Leo bent many rules for me. Anyone else in my position would've been dead the moment they even looked at the man wrong or talked back. And here I was, the girl who had slapped him, smart-mouthed him countless times and even threatened to kill him.

Sure, we were hostile toward one another when the kids were revealed. Anyone in his position would've snatched them away from me forever and hurt me in unbelievable ways, but Leo never did that. He claimed he would, but he couldn't, just like I could never kill him. False threats and hatred were portrayed to create a stronghold against one another when, in reality, we were nothing but melting puddles in each other's presence.

How could a man make me weak yet strong at the same time? How could I love someone so much that it physically hurt to be apart now?

"Women would kill to be loved by one of the most powerful men walking the earth. I know it brings more enemies to the table which means more risk, but I know Leo can protect you once you listen. He has a plan. A city is in the works. We just need to weed out the immediate traitors now. The outsiders don't stand a chance then."

          A city is in the works? What was that supposed to mean? Was he fortifying an entire city?

          "I know you're wondering what happened after California." Athena pulled the blanket up to cover herself a little more. "I had woken up in a dingy room being treated for my wounds. I wasn't a part of their plan, so having me as collateral damage was a big mistake they made. What's an even bigger mistake is that they didn't kill me right away. Fools! They had me in handcuffs because they knew what I was capable of, and they had men guarding just to make sure." She nodded toward Lee. "He was one of the men who kept an eye on me and was the only one who was allowed to interact with me because of basic human necessities."

"How the fuck did you get him to help you then?"

"Manipulation is a fine tool, sweetheart. Do you have any idea what a single touch, a fleeting smile, or even a lasting eye contact can do?" She looked into my eyes, mischief running wild around the green flecks in her hazel irises. Her gaze was alluring, almost paralyzing. Under the blanket, her nail traveled along my forearm in a teasingly slow, soft caress that forced goosebumps to erupt over my skin. A soft smile played on her sharp features as she bit down on her lower lip. She slowly neared my ear, her other hand trailing a finger along my collarbone. The hot breath from her mouth fanned against my soft skin as her lips stroked the outer ridge of my ear. When she spoke, her voice was seductively low and tantalizing. "Tell me you don't feel it, Arie."

"Okay..." I sucked in a breath and laughed a little before the pain in my body erupted and made me squirm. "You're too good at this."

Athena straightened herself with a victorious smirk. "Being a highly trained assassin doesn't just mean killing. A lot of other factors filter in, and the art of manipulation is one of them. That's how I got Lee wrapped around my finger. While I recovered, I extracted information from him about you. He told me that they were on the verge of killing me because I was a big liability. When I knew I could hold up a fight, I convinced Lee to help me escape and he fled with me. It had been two weeks since the kidnapping by then."

"How did you get here, though?" I had too many questions, and I knew she'd tell me to shove it very soon if I didn't stop, but I needed answers.

"Lee told me that the auction was going to be held in a week, so I came up with a plan. I had to get myself kidnapped by one of the traffickers and be brought here before the auction so I could rescue you, but the cargo ship I was on took longer than expected because they made too many stops picking up other unfortunate girls. When we docked at a particular location, the guards accompanied us to the bathroom and that's when I took many of them out so that the other girls could escape. Everyone fled onto land, but I stayed behind and pretended to be caught. They didn't know I was the one who threw ten of their associates into the ocean. The remaining men couldn't risk going after them, so they sailed the ship as planned with only me. I arrived here this morning."

"And Hector was the one who got you out of your cell?"

"Yes. He was an acquaintance of Lee. A million was promised for his trouble. He just had to release me and give me a pistol. The rest was on me. I thought you would've been sold, but Hector told me you were brought back, so I went ahead with the plan and now we're here."

"Why didn't you contact Leo when you escaped? We would've probably been home by now."

She huffed a sigh of frustration at my interrogation. "Because someone from the family is responsible for this. Telling Leo would've gotten the word back to the mastermind behind this somehow, and we'd be back at square one. Lee doesn't know who the person is himself because not all of them have seen him. We need to find out who the culprit is ourselves."

"Are you telling me you're not going to take me back to Leo?"

"We can't go to him yet and put you at risk again. They're on the hunt for me as well because they know I will stop at nothing to eradicate anyone who dared to lay a finger on me. They're expecting me to run to Leo, and I can't give them what they want."

My heart began sinking to the darkest pits of my stomach. The ray of hope in my chest was crushed under the boulder of our harsh reality. My desire to see Leo and my kids only grew to the point it ached my soul to endless measures because I couldn't return to them as I'd imagined. Someone was trying to hunt us all down. Going back just yet could be dangerous for us, and I couldn't risk the lives of my kids. Leo already suspected his family, so I was certain he had already taken extreme measures for the safety of the kids. Now we had to divide and conquer.

"I know you want to get back to Leo and your little humans. I want to get back to New York myself, but we need a firm lead so we can eliminate the threat. It isn't just one person's doing. This goes too deep and has been going on for too long. They're smart. They know exactly what they're doing and have thought about every move. I don't need another Verona situation. This is as close as I'll allow it to get to the hell Verona was thrown in. I was an unexpected hiccup in their plan which will eventually result in their downfall. Are you with me?"

          I nodded grimly.

          "I need your words, Arie," Athena stressed, her determined eyes boring holes into me. "I don't know how long this will take because they're highly skilled themselves. I need you to be with me throughout the process and have the tenacity to follow this through. We cannot go back without results. You cannot contact Leo at all. Do you understand?"

          "I do, but I have a tracker on me." My finger delved into my mouth and pulled out the small device that had been resting by my lower gums. "Leo gave it to me."

          Her brow cocked up as she took the tracker from me. "When?"

          "Yesterday. I was at the auction with the other girls. I helped them escape and Leo arrived there too. We were chased by Lawrence's men and they rammed their car into ours which is why I'm all bruised up right now." The feeling of utter dread right before I passed out during the accident constricted my chest once again. "Lawrence was there. He placed an ultimatum before Leo. Either he gave me up alive or had me dead because of the chip in me. Lawrence couldn't be taken out because someone else could also trigger the device and kill me, so I surrendered myself."

          Leo's bloodied face flashed before my vision and chilled me to my very core. He had been even more severely injured than me, and despite that, he had stood like a lion against Lawrence. I didn't even know how he must be. Was he even doing alright? The airbags protected me from serious harm, but Leo had taken a forceful leap through the windshield. I couldn't rest without knowing that he was at least okay.

          Athena fisted the tracker and breathed slowly, not saying a single word. I wasn't sure if she was going to talk again until we reached the coast.

          "Eros was there too," I muttered.

          I had at least gotten to see and kiss the love of my life, but Athena had been practically on her own so far. I didn't know the dynamic of her relationship with Eros, but I was certain she at least cared for him even though she was a bitch to the rest of the world.

          There was a very subtle change in Athena's breathing at the mention of her husband's name. It was barely noticeable, but the tension was present. She was trying to mask the effect it was having on her.

          "I thought you had died so I told him that you did."

          She shrugged. "It's a good thing. Mr. Azallion won't waste his time looking for me."

          "He broke down, Athena. He—"

"Stop it, Arie. I don't want to hear any more of this from you," she chided in annoyance. "You and I, we tolerate each other. We both have strong personalities and we will never get along well. It's best if we keep the conservation to what's important. The culprit. That's it. The sooner we get this over with, the better. I wouldn't have to see your face ever again and you wouldn't have to see mine."

          "You love being a bitch, don't you?"

          She spared me an exaggerated smile. "It's the only thing I live for."

Her guards were in place and the walls were unbelievably high. Someone like her obviously had trouble trusting anyone judging by how quickly she got defensive when I talked about Eros. Looking deeper into her and past her ironclad exterior was something she couldn't allow for anyone to peek into, not even me, and I was someone whose neck she could snap within a second.

          We were obviously going to be spending every waking moment together on this adventure that would take us to an unforeseeable destination for which I wanted us to be more than civil. I owed this insufferable woman my life at this point. I had seen a glimpse of the woman underneath and I needed more of her to be able to go on. I was certain I could draw her out with time.

          The sea was calm and reflected the moonlight in the distance. The salty air settled deeply in my nostrils. I could almost taste it. My body was increasingly growing weary. I needed to lie down. I kept shifting uncomfortably with the ache, unable to hold my body upright for long.

Athena huffed beside me. "You can lay your head on my shoulder if it gets you comfortable enough to stop moving."

Taking her up on the offer, I leaned into her and rested my head on her shoulder slowly. It added extra heat to warm up my cool body which I desperately needed, but the temperature was a tiny price to pay for what we wanted in the end. The traitor's head.

          When the charter boat finally docked, Lee carefully helped me get off then assisted Robyn after me. Athena was busy trying to bring Lawrence back to his senses so she wouldn't have to carry him. Once he was mildly oriented to the situation, Athena thrust him off the boat and dragged him ahead of us. It was a foreign country. I remembered Hector saying Lee was going to take us to Bulgaria, so Bulgaria was my guess.

It was a seaport with countless other boats and yachts, but there wasn't a single soul around which was good for us. Considering it was the witching hour, it made sense. Common folks were sleeping it off unlike us.

          We all moved toward the main road that ran along the shoreline. On the other side of the street stood many small buildings. Restaurants, hotels, and little gift shops. Athena dropped the tracking device on the ground and crushed it under her boot.

          "Get the car, Lee," Athena ordered.

          Lee immediately ran down the sidewalk in search of the vehicle while we stood freezing in the cold. Athena let Lawrence rest by having him sit on the ground. She held the machete in one hand and gripped her gun in the other. She was on alert. I thought she was simply guarding us, but I quickly came to realize that something was wrong. She hadn't put Lawrence down to rest, but she was getting ready to fight.

          A gunshot from a distance pulled our attention in the direction where Lee had disappeared. My heart began racing, knowing I wasn't in the condition to fight. It was going to be a losing battle on my end.

          Suddenly, a hand clamped down over my mouth and stifled my surprise. Athena immediately turned around and raised her gun at the man who held me hostage, but she didn't pull the trigger. From anger, her facial features shifted to an unamused dullness.

          "Hello, Love," the man whispered next to my ear. I could never forget that district voice. The same British accent that emerged every time he said those two words. It was him. It was my Leo.

***

          When my eyes pattered open, I found myself in a small room. Sunlight kissed the white ceiling in intricate lines. How did I get here? I managed to sit up and look around. The only piece of furniture in my room was the small bed I was on. However, I felt well rested for once. Bandages covered the areas where opened wounds had been. There was an ache in my muscles throughout my body, but it was bearable.

          Using the wall as support to walk, I opened the door to the room and made my way out. In response to the smell of eggs that greeted me, my stomach growled in anticipation. I had been starving.

          The house was small. Wooden furniture complimented the wooden walls. The floor creaked as I walked into the small kitchen. Leo had been standing by the stove shirtless, cutting up onions like a professional. The muscles on his back flexed as he did so. The sight pleased my eyes more than anything. I didn't care where I was as long as I was with him.

          I hadn't noticed how long his black strands had gotten when he had come to the auction. He only had fading scars embracing the skin on his back. They were old. I didn't know if he had sustained any injury to his body during the accident, but I remembered seeing a lot of blood on his face. Yet he stood there perfectly well from what I could see. I had yet to see the bruises his face harbored.

          Leo hadn't realized I was there, so I went ahead and wrapped my arms around his torso from behind. The hair on his chest tickled my fingertips as I moved them around. "Hi," I croaked out against his shoulder blade before pressing a kiss to it.

          His chest rumbled with the small laugh he let out. "Good morning to you."

          He felt foreign. His natural scent wasn't the same either. What was wrong with me? Looking over his bicep, I immediately spotted the lion tattooed under his right thumb. When did he get that?

I let him go cautiously and stood beside him. My heart lurched up to my throat when I didn't see the roaring lion on his left pec.

This wasn't my Leo.

When my eyes met the man's striking blue ones, it confirmed the situation for me. His orbs were the same as Leo's, but they held no familiarity. They weren't soft with love as Leo's usually would be. The face was an exact copy of Leo's, but it lacked the stories of the battles and hardships Leo had dealt with.

I closed my eyes for a brief second and forced myself to smile despite the bile wreaking havoc in my stomach. When I opened them, I closed my fingers around his hand that held the knife over the chopping board.

"I like onions cut a certain way for my omelet. You're doing it wrong, so let me do it."

I needed the knife to cut this fucker open, but this man was smart. Our gazes clashed and an understanding passed between us. He knew and so did I.

I grabbed the heated pan from the stove and swung it at him, ignoring the cry of pain my body let out. He had quickly gotten out of the way with the knife and stared me off with a smug smirk.

"You're a smart one," he rasped. He didn't have a mix of accents as Leo did. It was only British. "You're too weak to fight me, Love."

Love...

My anger soared as I raised the dish at him once again, but he caught my wrist. His deathly grip compelled me to drop the pan before he twisted my arm and forced a roar of pain from my mouth. Tears sprung to my eyes when he pushed me against the wall and held the knife to my throat. My body sobbed with agony. At the moment, I was physically too weak to fight due to the pain and fatigue. I was trapped with an imposter.

"Who the fuck are you?" I seethed through my teeth, staring at a face that belonged to my Leo, but knowing the man standing before me wasn't the love of my life.

The cold blade caressed my throat as a cunning smile pulled on his lips. He leaned down and stared into my eyes as if he had won a prize.

"I'm Luciano. Luciano Leonardo Bonferroni." His smile only widened when my heart stopped beating for a second. "Leo never told you about me, did he?"

———————————————————

DUN DUN DUNNNNNNNN!

Yay or nay?

Firstly, how are you guys doing in this crisis? Hopefully, everyone is safe!

You have no idea how long I've waited for you guys to meet the one and only Luciano since the very first book. Almost 3 years later, we finally get to meet him now. He's gonna stir up the lives of our power couple a little 😉

Who enjoyed the little manipulation technique Athena used on our innocent Arie? Some readers actually thought they were gonna sleep together on Instagram due to the sneak peek 😂 You guys are too precious ❤️❤️❤️

Do you think Athena and Arie would ever get along well or even become friends?

What did Athena mean by "a city is in the works"?

What do you think will happen with Robyn? Will she take Athena up on the offer?

What do you guys think about Athena's plan about not going home just yet and following a lead themselves? Will it work?

Where do you think Athena and Robyn are now?

How do you think Luciano is gonna fit into the story? What's his role gonna be?

I thought I would have Leo in this chapter, but I'll save him for the next chapter now.

Thoughts on Leo?

Or Arie?

Further comments and questions are always welcome ❤️

HIT ME WITH THE THEORIES!

Follow me on INSTAGRAM @reetilicious for sneak peeks of the future chapters and fun question times.

Stay safe and much love to everyone ❤️
~Reet

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.7M 61.5K 47
*UNDER MAJOR EDITING* Book #1 of The Mafia Leaders Series Jules Salvatore knows what it means to be afraid. To run from trauma and pain. And she neve...
5.1M 154K 51
(BOOK 1 OF MAFIA LOVE SERIES) [COMPLETED & EDITING] * "Arie," he whispered, his smile dropping as he closed the distance between us. "I'm s...
1.9M 67K 49
Fiction Awards Winner 2016 in General Fiction Category Book 1 of the New York Mafia Series: Summary: What happens when an innocent and kind hearted...
VICENZO By Walnut

Short Story

1.5M 39K 74
Raised in the Mafia, I have known no other life other than cold calculated violence and discipline. A life where brutality is praised and weakness is...