Red Snow

By SeleneShusi

Bai Qian had grown up in the tutorage of her aunt, Da Ji who singlehandedly brought down to the Shang Dynasty... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37

Chapter 2

380 17 15
By SeleneShusi

Ye Hua had left his sword behind. Bai Qian went ahead to pick it up. It turned in a beautiful fan in her hands. She studied it. It was just a simple fan designed for men. The handle was embedded with jades carved with intricate designs. She opened it to reveal a beautiful painting of a majestic mountain range.

The painter had stamped his name on the painting, 夜华 Ye Hua. Bai Qian traced her finger on the signature, studying every stroke. She never knew which characters formed his name. What were Ye Hua's parents thinking? It's so extravagant, the name didn't suit his personality at all.

She flicked her wrist, the fan turned back into the sword. Bai Qian dropped it immediately, she recalled how that item almost killed her, how he almost killed her.

But he let her go. Why? He was so determined to take his revenge. Why did he change his mind at the last minute? And leave this here?

Her aunt would know the answer. Nobody understood more about men as she did. Thinking about her aunt again made Bai Qian sad. Tears streamed down her face, she was truly alone now. With no one to care for her.

What's Bai Qian gonna do now?

She couldn't stay here any longer. Ye Hua might change his mind about killing her. Bai Qian quickly packed up her things: money, clothes, her aunt's jewelry. She paused when she saw Ye Hua's sword. Should she take it with her?

She couldn't just leave a celestial artifact lying around, could she?

Bai Qian finally decided to take it with her.

She made it out of her cave. Where would she go now? She didn't know anyone besides her aunt. She was an orphan with no friends, no companions.

Bai Qian walked to the closest town. It was early in the morning, the market was bustling with people. She passed by a few stalls selling various snacks and food.

The smell of food was so intoxicating it made her stomach growl. Bai Qian staredown at the money in the palm of her hands. Just a few coins, not even enough to buy a steamed bun.
She could also try charming the vendors. She looked down at her clothes, the battle had it tattered and riddled with holes. Not to mention caked with mud. She looked down at her reflection, she looked horrid right now. Forget about charming a merchant, she couldn't even enchant a dog right now.

Nevertheless, it won't hurt to try.

"One meat bun, please, " she said.

He packed it with a paper bag, "That would be five coins, "

Bai Qian opened her palm, revealing three coins.

She gave the vendor her best smile and batted her eyelashes. "Oh, please, sir? This is all I have left. "

He eyed her up and down and took away her bun, "If you don't have money. Don't bother me, get lost, "

She tried a few stalls, all yielded the same results.

She kicked the pebble below her feet. Bai Qian never felt so useless in her life. She couldn't perform a proper spell, couldn't charm a mortal man. She's hungry and homeless, with no plans for the future. Her aunt definitely would know what to do.

Dear heavens, she missed her so much.

Bai Qian walked a few feet until her emotion overwhelmed her. She sank down to the ground, tears dripped down the pavement. Everyone gave her a wide margin. She really didn't know what to do. She had no money, no home. No family, no one to rely on. Ye Hua should have killed her when she had the chance.

A pair of soft hands was placed on top of her shoulders. Bai Qian looked up to see a young woman smiling down at her. She was dressed in a simple purple dress with an apron tied around her waist.

"What are you doing here, my dear?" She asked.

Bai Qian dried her tears, there's a strange purple aura surrounding her. She blinked, "You're not mortal, "

The lady looked surprised too, "You're not mortal either, "

The lady took her back to her stall and gave her some food and tea. "Here, you looked famished, "

Bai Qian looked down at the food before her, a bowl of rice topped with braised pork. Tears began to swell up in her again, "Lady, why are you being so nice to me?"

"It's rare to see an immortal around here, " she said, "And you looked like you need help, "

"I'm not an immortal actually, " Bai Qian said, "I'm a fox demon, "

The lady tilted her head, "Fox demon? But you looked nothing like one?"

"I'm a demon alright," she said, "My name is B-, "

She stopped herself, she didn't know if this lady had any ties with the celestials. It's best not to tell how she was. She couldn't trust anyone.

"Si Yin, " She quickly said, "My name is Si Yin, "

It was one of the names she used in hiding in mortal cities. She prayed that this lady brought it.

"Are you lost?" She asked, "Where is your home?"

Bai Qian shook her head.

"You don't have one?"

She nodded.

"Any family members you can rely on?" She asked.

"I had an aunt, " Bai Qian said, "But she's gone now, "

The lady relaxed her shoulders, "Gone? What happened?"

Bai Qian was tempted to tell her story. How she ended up being raised by her aunt.

Da Ji had escaped execution and traveled back to the immortal realm to see her sister. Instead, she found her whole family was slaughtered. The only one who survived was Bai Qian. She was only half a century years old.

She didn't remember what had happened that night. Apparently, the atrocity committed that night has caused severe trauma to her. Her aunt had given her the soup of forgetfulness. It eased her mind. She stopped having nightmares, her aunt said it was the celestials who did it, Mo Yuan and his disciple Jiang Zi Ya.

They didn't agree with what she was doing in the mortal realm. Therefore, they decided to kill her and her entire family as punishment. They just didn't expect her to escape and that Bai Qian was still alive.

Jiang Zi Ya was an odd man. A Taoist master under the training of High God Mo Yuan. The only mortal who did so. He had established the Investiture of the gods and helped others ascend into godhood. But he did not.

When he was an officer to King Zhou 紂王, Da Ji's husband. He would constantly butt heads with her. Eventually, he left and helped a king from a neighboring kingdom, King Wu of Zhou 周武王 to overthrow King Zhou 紂王. Establishing the Zhou Dynasty 周朝 and ending the Shang 商朝.

King Zhou committed suicide. Da Ji escaped execution. Jiang Zi Ya had decided to remain in the mortal realm as an advisor to King Wu and passed away in peace.

Taking Bai Qian, Da Ji went on the run for centuries. She had escaped punishment. 

Therefore, as the lord of justice, Mo Yuan chased after them. When his brother was of age, Ye Hua joined in on the hunt too. Each time they meet, they fight. Each time Da Ji and Bai Qian managed to escape. Her aunt had called Bai Qian her good luck charm.

She didn't feel so lucky now. Mo Yuan was gone at the cost of her aunt. And Ye Hua probably won't rest until he got his revenge for the death of his brother.

Instead of all that, Bai Qian just said, "My aunt got captured by Taoist monks. I barely managed to escape, "

"I'm sorry to hear that, " she said.

Bai Qian took a sip of her tea, "I thank you for the food, lady... "

"My name is Yan Zhi, " she said, "I'm from the Ghost Tribe, "

"The Ghost Tribe, " Bai Qian's eyes widened in awe. The Ghost Tribe was a powerful demonic tribe in the immortal realm. They controlled all the wandering souls before they entered the underworld. "What are you doing in the mortal realm?"

"Escaping from family drama, " she simply said. Since she didn't elaborate, Bai Qian didn't bother to pester.

"What did your aunt do to warrant her capture?" Yan Zhi asked.

"Too many to list, " Bai Qian said.

"Tell me one, " Yan Zhi asked.

Bai Qian thought about it and leaned down closer to her.

"My aunt once forced a man to eat the meatballs," She said, "Made by the flesh of his own son,"

That was one of her favorites stories, she cackled, "It was so funny, you should have seen the look of his face, "
Yan Zhi looked disgusted.

"I'm sorry, " Bai Qian asked, "Did I say something wrong?"

"It is not a laughing matter," she said, "It's wrong, and it's sick, "

Bai Qian didn't know that. Her aunt always had such fun telling this story. Thinking about it, Bai Qian realized it's wrong to force someone to eat his own son. Bo Yi Kao 伯邑考 had tried everything in his power to free his father, Ji Chang 姬昌. Instead, rewarding for his filial piety. Under her aunt's advice, the king had him executed and made into meatballs. King Zhou had promised Ji Chang freedom if he ate the meatballs. He took them, and once he realized the truth. He vomited them out.

He was granted freedom, and he took his revenge by overthrowing King Zhou as King Wu of Zhou.

Bai Qian lowered down her head. The pork rested uneasily in her belly. In just a minute, her worldview changed.

"I'm sorry, " she said, "I didn't realize that, "

Yan Zhi crossed her arms, "You really don't have anyone besides your aunt, huh?"

She nodded.

Yan Zhi let out a sigh and put away her empty bowl. "How about you stay here with me for a while, "

Bai Qian's eyes widened, "You don't have to do that. The food is enough, I can't possibly accept any more of your kindness, "

"Nonsense, " she said, "Stay, I insisted. It gets lonely being an immortal here, I didn't get to make any friends, "

"You want to be my friend?" She asked.

"You have a good heart, Si Yin, " Yan Zhi told her, "Just misguided, "

"Misguided?" She tilted her head. Before, Bai Qian could ask any questions. Yan Zhi asked,
"You can help me out in the kitchen. You can cook, right?"

Bai Qian grimaced. She remembered the time she almost burned down a house from cooking. She shook her head.

"How about waiting tables?"

That she could do.

"But still, " Bai Qian tried to protest, "I have nothing to repay your kindness, "

"You don't have to, " she said.

Bai Qian pulled out all of her aunt's jewelry. These were her aunt's prized possession. They were gifts from her husband back when she was queen. Her aunt never let Bai Qian touch them. She would be furious if she found out. She hesitated to give them all away. It's all that Bai Qian had left of her.

At last, she gave them all to Yan Zhi's, "At least take these, "

Yan Zhi poked them with her chopsticks. "Are those your aunt's? Had she killed anyone with them?"

Bai Qian giggled, "No, she took good care of them. Not a single speck of blood on them, "

A sour expression appeared on her face, "I can't accept them. And I don't want to, "

Bai Qian was a little offended. It's not like the jewelry was cursed or anything.

"How about I pawn them away, " she suggested, "And use the money to pay for the food and accommodation?"

Yan Zhi agreed to the compromise.

_______________________________

Bai Qian had stayed in the mortal realm with Yan Zhi for five years. They worked together to 
maintain Yan Zhi's humble little stall. She worked in the kitchen while Bai Qian waited tables.
Bai Qian twirled around the stall, placing food and drinks on the tables. The job was hard, she messed up a few orders at first. But eventually, she got the hang of it.

According to Yan Zhi, the business increased ever since Bai Qian began to help out. The stall was always packed with people. Strangely, mostly men.

Zi Lan was a good man. He could do a lot of work without complaint. He could be odd sometimes tho, he kept asking weird questions. Like where was she from? He kept perturbing about her family and her past. To tease him, Bai Qian gave the mortal a different answer every time. Anything but the truth.

Bai Qian swore that she could feel he glared deadly daggers at her sometimes. When Bai Qian asked Yan Zhi about it, she just said. "Zi Lan is just a mortal, he's harmless, "

If so, why did she have an uneasy feeling about him?

Bai Qian sighed as she stretched her neck, "Heavens, I'm exhausted. Why are there always so many people?"

Zi Lan stacked up the chairs, "Why do you think? They are come to see you, "

Bai Qian scoffed, "Of course not. I'm not that pretty, "

Secretly, she was really giddy. It's nice to know that she hadn't lost her charm. It's no doubt that her aunt was drop-dead gorgeous. Men used to line up to win her hand.

Bai Qian was nothing compared to her. And yet she would always get the occasional flowers from handsome young men. Bai Qian would giggle for days when she received one. Her aunt would always take the flowers away.

"It's best for you not to involve your heart in this matter. Men only like you for your looks, they don't care about your personality," she told her, "Flowers are nothing but empty promises. They will wilt and die just like their hearts. Take what you can from them and suck them dry."

And then she held her shoulder tightly, "And never give a man your heart, "

Bai Qian didn't believe that her aunt had never fallen in love before. She must have some feelings for King Zhou. Or else why did she still keep her crown with her? And took it to her grave?

Zi Lan huffed, "Well they definitely didn't come here to see me, "

Bai Qian put away the bowls, "Are you implying Yan Zhi's cooking is bad?"

Yan Zhi was arranging her knives, "What about my cooking?"

A cold sweat washed over Zi Lan, "Nothing, " he quickly said, "They're delicious, "

"Thought so, " she smiled.

When Yan Zhi turned away, Zi Lan glared at Bai Qian. "I'll get you for this," he mumbled under his breath.

Bai Qian stuck her tongue at him.

Zi Lan obviously liked Yan Zhi. He followed her around like a lovesick puppy. The problem was Yan Zhi was oblivious to any matters of the heart. Zi Lan was too timid at expressing his feelings.

What's the point anyways? Even if their love was real, they could never be. Zi Lan was mortal while Yan Zhi's was not. It's too complicated to even think about it.

It was late at night, and they were about to close. And yet there was a table of men who still stubbornly remained at their seats drinking wine. Bai Qian liked the occasional drinking, but they were really pushing it.

Bai Qian put down the last jar, "This is the last one, " she told them, "We have to close now, "

"Aww, don't be like that, " one of them said.

"Lady, you're such a wet blanket, " another jeered.

Yan Zhi had told her just to ignore comments like these. Bai Qian knew better. If she caused a scene in the mortal realm, she would definitely show up in the celestials heaven's radar.

"The last one, " she said sternly.

A hand snaked around her waist and pulled her off-balance. Bai Qian landed on someone's lap. He held on to her tight, refusing to let go.

"Don't be so uptight, " he leaned in closer, "Here have a drink with me, "

Bai Qian eyed him, a middle-aged man who barely bathes and obviously had never looked death in the eyes before. Another hand snaked across her thigh.

So you wanna play, huh?

Bai Qian faked a smile and placed her hand across his chest. She said in her sweetest voice, "If you're offering? sure, "

He smiled back at her, obviously, pleased by her response. In the corner of her eyes, she saw Yan Zhi and Zi Lan come out of the kitchen. He carried his spatula with him, but Yan Zhi held him back. Bai Qian had everything under control.

She wrapped her arms around his neck, "Pour a cup for me?" She pouted.
The rest of his friends jeered. The man handed her a cup. She took a sip sensually, and the man's eyes bogged out. He stared at her like he couldn't believe what was happening.

"Mister?" She asked.

"Yes?" A dreamy expression appeared on his face.

Bai Qian proceeded to pour her wine over his head.

He let her go immediately. All of his friends back away from the table.

Bai Qian jumped off and ran to Yan Zhi's side.

"You B-"
Bai Qian marched right up to him at lightning speed. She dug her claws into his neck, "Try to complete that sentence, and I'll rip your throat out, "

"Sorry, " he choked out.

"The bill?" She asked.

A bag of coins dropped on the floor. Bai Qian let him go and pushed him away with all might. He quickly ran off with his friends trailing behind him.

"Yeah, " Zi Lan yelled, "And don't come back!"

Both of the girls looked at him.

"What?" He asked.

They rolled their eyes.

"What?"

Bai Qian let out a yawn, "If they know better, they won't come back, "

"Things could have gone a lot worse, " Yan Zhi said, "You should be more careful. They might attack, "

"Please, " Bai Qian scoffed, "They didn't know who my aunt was. As if men like these would threaten me?"

"Who is your aunt?" Zi Lan asked.

Bai Qian bite her tongue, "Just a courtesan, you wouldn't know, "

She left before they could ask any more questions.

Before they left for home, Yan Zhi pulled a parchment paper out of her apron. It was a letter from her family, asking her to go home.

"My brother is getting married," Yan Zhi explained, "I need to go home,"

"What about the shop?" Zi Lan asked.

"Shut down," she simply said.

"What? Why?"

Yan Zhi shrugged, "My hometown is really far. It will be impossible for me to travel back here. I have to close down the shop,"

“What about me?” Zi Lan looked at her pleadingly.

Yan Zhi went to her money box and took out a small bag, “Here is your pay for this month,”

Zi Lan took them, Bai Qian looked over his shoulder. The bag was filled with gold nuggets, since when Yan Zhi was this rich? And why was she giving it all to Zi Lan?

His eyes widen, “It's more than my pay. I can’t accept this,”

Yan Zhi cupped his hands, “Take it, I insisted. This should be enough for you to live comfortably for a few years. I felt guilty to uproot your life all of a sudden,"

“But-” he tried to protest. 

Seriously, Yan Zhi? Was she really born a demon? Bai Qian thought that she should have been a saint instead. 

“Just take it, Zi Lan,” Bai Qian said, “If you don’t then I will,”

He glared at her and took it. He bowed to Yan Zhi, “Goodbye, *Lao Ban (Boss),”

When Zi Lan left, she noticed Yan Zhi's eyes were rimmed with tears.
They cleaned up quietly on their own. It's been five years since Bai Qian lived here. And yet there was no word up from heaven. No celestials were barging into their lives, ruining their peace. Nothing. Bai Qian figured with the death of Mo Yuan, the Nine Heavens would send an army after her with Ye Hua leading the charge. What happened to that pesky immortal anyway? Why was he not coming after her?

Yan Zhi finally broke the silence. "I had always hated goodbyes, "

Bitter bile raised up her throat, "Are you saying goodbye to me too?" Bai Qian asked.

She didn't answer her.

Bai Qian bit her tongue. Yan Zhi and Bai Qian had known each other for five years now. They had been through thick and thin together. Although she never told Yan Zhi the truth. She was the closest thing she had to a friend, a sister. Bai Qian didn't know what to do without her. She really didn't want to say goodbye.

"Do you think…" Bai Qian stammered, "You could bring me with you?"

Yan Zhi raised her eyebrows, "To the Ghost Realm? To my brother's wedding?"

"If it's no trouble, " she looked down, "You see if you're gone. I have nowhere to go, "

"It's not like I don't want to, " Yan Zhi said, "It just…"

"I'm a fox," Bai Qian answered for her, "I'm probably not well like there, "

Yan Zhi bit her lips, "It's not that…It… It's complicated, "

Bai Qian looked down and let out a huge sigh, "I understand. I'll go pack my things, "

Yan Zhi tapped her feet nervously on the ground. Bai Qian counted silently in her heart.

One…

Two…

Three…

"Fine, " Yan Zhi finally relented. Bai Qian immediately perked up. "Really?"

"Yeah, " she said, "We'll leave first thing in the morning, "

Bai Qian gave Yan Zhi a great big hug. "I can't wait! But I need to do something first!"

"Do what?"

_______________________________

Bai Qian hid in the shadows, she waited until the streets were empty. To avoid standing out, she had covered her fur with soot. She blended into the night. Bia Qian followed her nose to an unassuming little inn.

Yan Zhi didn't know where she went. Bai Qian's goal was to finish this as discreetly as possible. After all, she won't remain in this town tomorrow.

The lights were off as she leaped through the window. There the man who dared to touch her was sleeping soundly on his bed. He probably didn't lose any sleep molesting young women. It was easy to track him down, he basically left his stench all over her.

Bai Qian jumped on to his chest and transformed back to human. She tapped his nose. The man was immediately startled awake.

"Hi, " Bai Qian said with her tails swirling behind her.

"Demoness!" He yelped.

Bai Qian covered his mouth with her hand and leaned in closer to him. "We wouldn't want to cause a scene now, would we?"

He shook his head.

"It's been a long time since I devoured a human soul, " she mused, "I guess today is your lucky day, " 

The staff came by the next day, they screamed at the sight of a corpse lying on the bed. Both of his eyes and mouth were opened wide as if he had died of fright.

*Lao Ban 老板: Boss. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

25.5K 389 30
Original title 穿成反派大佬的童养媳 On the day of Catch Zhou, Tao Qiong threw himself into the arms of a little brother when he saw the color. As a result, he...
60.6K 800 36
Note: This is not a true story. All characters are from the drama except some which are a figment of my imagination. Enjoy!! :)
Tears Of Kai Yuan By Avigayil

Historical Fiction

75.6K 3.1K 35
Location: Ancient China Date: T'ang Dynasty During the most flourishing era in Ancient China, all seemed to be well for the people. The kingdom was g...
3.1K 174 20
After the fall of Jun Wu, Xie Lian ascended to become the heavenly emperor. Witnessing Xie Lian's glory and success, Hua Cheng began to feel inferior...