Chapter 35

For some reason, the story struck a chord with Su Su. A man that would accept her for who she is and love her no matter how the world sees them. 

Seems too good to be true. 

Su Su had a lot of ambitions and dreams. She had a list of things she wanted to do. All of them impossible for a woman of her stature. She had no money, no support, not even encouragement from her parents.

"You mentioned they died," Su Su asked, "How?" 

"They were forced to go to the riverbank. The fox jumped into the river to protect the man," 

"And the man?" 

"He followed her," 

Su Su sank in the thought, she stood up and smacked the table, "Why? That's so foolish. What's the point of her sacrifice then if he's gonna just toss his life away like that?" 

Ye Hua winced like he was afraid to be punished. 

"Erm… " 

Su Su looked down at him, "You have to agree that's stupid right?" 

He winched again. 

She crossed her arms, "Right?" 

Ye Hua nodded reluctantly, "Right. Incredibly stupid. I will never do it again," 

Su Su must haven't heard it right, "Excuse me?" 

Ye Hua's eyes darted everywhere, "I meant...Oww!" 

All of a sudden, he wrapped his arm around his stomach. Immediately, all thoughts were tossed out of Su Su's mind. She leapt into action, checking his wound and pulse. 

"You're fine," she concluded, "You ate too fast just now. Must have affected your wound," 

"I would advise you not to eat anything spicy for the time being," she told him, "And when you bathe, try not to have water touch the bandages," 

"Right…" he said, "I can't do that," 

"Eat spice?" 

"No bath," he corrected, "I need help," 

He gestured over his shoulder and shook it. His left arm limped like a dead weight. "This arm is paralysed. I can't move it," 

Su Su's eyes widened, "Paralysed? Since when?" 

"For a month or two," he said, "there was an accident, and it has been like this ever since," 

"May I?" She asked. 

He nodded. Su Su rolled up his sleeves and touched his left arm. His muscles were stiff to the touch. When she checked his jerk reaction, Ye Hua gave no response. His arm was really paralysed. Why didn't she notice it before? Gosh, she was a horrible physician. 

"I can manage on my own with one arm," he assured her, "It's just that they are some places I can't reach," 

"My back and my other arm," he said sheepishly. "Not to mention my hair. Frankly, it's impossible," 

Su Su eyed him up and down, "I see. How did you manage before?" 

"I have help from other people," 

She rolled down his silk sleeves, "Servants, you mean," 

"Yes," he said, "but they're gone now. I mean…it's not like they are dead or anything…" 

"The nine-tailed fox," Su Su guessed.

"Everything happened so fast," he confirmed her fears, "I have no idea where they are,"