Chapter 22

Ye Hua managed to wake up before daybreak. He had found himself lying on the ground with nothing on except for his robe as a blanket. Bai Qian laid asleep beside him, her weight on his shoulder had stiffened his arm. As usual, Bai Qian had wrapped herself around him, and her hand across his chest. 

Ye Hua never thought he would see her like this again. Her eyelashes were long and delicate. Her soft breath tickled his neck. This moment was so rare, so precious he didn't have the guts to spoil it. 

Last night felt like a fever dream. Words could never describe the passion he felt. The burning desire coursed between them was intimate and personal, like a long-forgotten fantasy. 

However, Ye Hua knew it couldn't last forever. He had to leave before anyone noticed his absence. He managed to pry his hand away from her.

He tried to get up, but Bai Qian reached out to grab his wrist. He wasn't the only one who awoke.

"Where are you going?" She asked.

"Back," he said.

"Can't you stay longer?"

"No, " 

Bai Qian looked down, "You hate me now, don't you, " 

"Why do you say that?"

"Your answers are short like you're humouring me, " Bai Qian said, "You used to do that when you despise me, " 

Ye Hua licked his lips, "I don't despise you, Bai Qian, " he looked down, "It's just that...last night… shouldn't have happened, " 

He didn't know how to phrase it, "It was…" 

Bai Qian crossed her arms, "Let me guess… a moment of weakness, " 

Ye Hua nodded. Things like this happened before when Ye Hua let his guard down when the night was young when he forgot he was a crown prince. However, they never went as far as they did last night.

"Was it that horrible?" She asked.

Ye Hua trifled a laugh, "No, as a matter of fact…" 

He paused and turned to meet Bai Qian's hopeful eyes. He quickly turned away, "This thing… between us must stop, " 

Bai Qian gripped his hand tighter, "Why?" 

Ye Hua pulled away, "Because we're too different. The heavens will never accept us, " 

"Who cares what the heavens think," she argued.

"I care," Ye Hua said, "My brother said there are rules of the universe we must follow, " 

"How are we different?" She retorted, "I'm not a demon anymore, " 

"You're still not a goddess either," Ye Hua explained, "and it's not just that. I play an important role in the cosmos. If people found out about us, they will say that you are influencing my decisions. They won't trust me anymore, " 

Bai Qian clenched her first and gathered her clothes. She got up hurriedly, "So that's what you're afraid. That I will be a devious seductress, the second Da Ji?" 

She put on her clothes in a fit, "All those years of progress meant nothing to you?" 

Of course, it did. Ye Hua had seen her change. She's not the person she used to be anymore. However, the rest of the world wouldn't think so.

Ye Hua picked up his clothes and quickly threw on his robe, "Wait… that's not what I meant, "

The words stuck in his throat, "It's just that I need to be extra guarded when making a decision. You tend to skew them…"