Chapter 5

Being cooped up in the courtyard for weeks had gotten on Bai Qian's nerves. Like it or not, she was a wild animal, and she did need to exercise. Bai Qian preferred to run around in open fields and hunt small creatures. Heck, she won't even mind Ye Hua trying to kill her again. It had been a long time since she held a sword. Bai Qian hoped that her skills hadn't turned rusty.

Ye Hua was out again to who knows where. He had always come back covered in dust and gravel. Where did he go every day anyway? And why Ye Hua returned exhausted and out of breath, and still had to work until late at night?

Bai Qian wanted to help him, but she didn't know how to. She tended to ruin everything she touched. People she cared about would eventually leave her. Like her aunt, like Yan Zhi.

Heavens. Bai Qian missed Yan Zhi. The princess had always seemed to have her life figured out. She was matured and level headed. Bai Qian wished that Yan Zhi was here, she wanted her guidance. Without her, Bai Qian felt like a broken compass with no sense of direction.

Bai Qian looked around the room, it was really a mess in here. Clattered books and scrolls, discarded brushes, and spilt ink. Not to mention the leftover plates and an unmade bed.

Bai Qian had never taken Ye Hua as a slob, he had always looked so impeccable and came off as a neat person. Maybe he never bothered cleaning because of his busy schedule.

Well, if he couldn't do it, Bai Qian could. She snuck into the servants' quarters and stole a set of uniforms. In that way, she could inconspicuously take the cleaning appliances she needed.

She cleared out all the rubbish and rearranged his stationery, books, and scrolls. Bai Qian also made the bed, swept, and dusted every corner of the room. It was basically spring cleaning in the middle of winter. In the end, the place looked spotless and brand new. Bai Qian was quite proud of her accomplishments.

She transformed back when Ye Hua returned home.

He blinked twice when he entered his room like he couldn't believe that it was his. "What happened here?" he asked in astonishment.

Bai Qian hopped off the bed to greet him. He scratched under her chin, just the way she liked it.

"Hu Li, " Ye Hua asked, "Had anyone been here before?"

Bai Qian didn't answer him. She couldn't, obviously. She walked circles around his feet, she was eager to know his reaction. His expression was hard to read, Bai Quan hoped that he would like it. She bet that he was surprised, delighted even. What she got was Ye Hua storming out his room.

What?

Bai Qian followed him to the edge of the courtyard. She blended into the shadow, making sure that no one could see her. Ye Hua had pulled a servant aside and started protruding him with questions.

"Ah Ming, while I was gone, " Ye Hua asked, "Did anyone enter my courtyard today? "

"No, " Ah Ming said, "Nobody did, sir, "

"Then why did my room look so different?" He asked.

"Had there been a robbery, sir?"

"No, nothing was missing, " Ye Hua replied, "It just cleaner and tidier,"

"Isn't that a good thing?" Ah Ming asked.

Ye Hua's tone a bit louder, "No. You know that I don't like people touching my things, "

"I know, but at least it's no longer a mess?" He retorted.

"It's an organized mess, " Ye Hua argued, "I had a system. Now I can't tell where my things are, "