Chapter 37

The last time Su Su had dinner with a lot of people was at her mother's funeral. And the funny thing was the atmosphere right now was the same as the service. It was supposed to be a joyous new year dinner among family and friends. However, it turned out to be uncomfortable, awkward and unpleasant.

The only good thing was the food, steam fish, suckling pig, roast duck and stir-fried prawns. Su Su hadn't had dinner this lavish since forever. She was determined to sleep with a full belly tonight.

Yan Feng picked up a piece of duck and placed it in his father's bowl, encouraging him to eat more.

"Don't just pass food for me, son," Minister Yan said, "Give some to our guests,"

The young man picked up a prawn and eyed Su Su and her father as if he was deciding between the two of them. Minister Yan coughed when his chopstick was hovering towards Physician Yan's bowl.

Seriously. Can Yan Feng read the room? What did he think his father invited them here for?

Yan Feng quickly changed direction, "Do you like prawns, Su Su?"

Su Su eyed the prawn drenched in sweet soy sauce in front of her. The shell wasn't removed, most shellfish dishes didn't. But deshelling a prawn with chopsticks is always a pain, and Su Su didn't want to use her hands or eat the whole thing and spit the shell out.

Prawns. A sworn nemesis of ladylike table etiquette.

"No," she lied.

He removed the shell and passed it to her again, "Do you like prawns now?"

Alright, not a complete idiot then.

"Yes," Su Su lifted her bowls and accepted it.

Second Lady Yan smiled, "So sweet. Just like his father, you're a lucky woman, Su Su,"

Su Su forced a smile, she wouldn't call herself lucky. She didn't want this in the first place. She's pretty sure Yan Feng didn't either.

Su Su quickly ate it, "It was delicious, my lady,"

"I'm glad you like it. I'm so happy we have the same taste," Second Lady Yan said, "We don't get to have seafood much, Jie Jie is so allergic. It's a pity, really. "

"If you want, we could have seafood every day," Minister Yan replied.

His mistress laughed merrily. Su Su wanted to vomit out her dinner. She couldn't stand Second Lady Yan, one minute she's threatening to slap her, another she was her best friend.

"My dear, a pretty girl like you, is bound to have admirers when you grow up," Second Lady Yan asked, "How is it you're not married yet?"

Su Su nearly choked on her food. How could one answer such questions? It's not her fault her parents keep rejecting marriage proposals. Too late to regret now, Su Su had sworn not to marry.

Su Su tried for a joke to release the tension, "I'm just keeping my options open,"

"Oh, my Feng Er is a wonderful boy. You know he's one of the youngest-"

Yan Feng slammed his chopsticks on the table, "Stop. I'm not your Feng Er. And clearly, it's not your place to set up a relationship for me,"

She clasped her hand over her heart, she looked like she was about to cry, "I'm just trying to..."

Minister Yan's voice rose, "Feng, don't disrespect your-"

"What are you going to say?" he retorted, "Mother is on her sickbed, and you're here arm in arm with another woman. Don't you have any decency?"