Feeling of Glory -Sword and S...

By ZelTheWeavile

"When the time of the Darkest Day has come, Two Trainers will arrive and take the throne. One of great stren... More

Chapter 1- New Beginnings
Chapter 2- Unforseen Danger
Chapter 3- New Partner
Chapter 4- Endorsement . . . ?
Chapter 5- Wild Area
Chapter 6- New Faces
Chapter 7- Gym Leaders
Chapter 8- Worst Enemies
Chapter 9- Fourth-Time Impressions
Chapter 10- Rolling Sheep
Chapter 12- Training
Chapter 13- Water Battle
Chapter 14- Egg
Chapter 15- Penny
Chapter 16- Fire Battle
Chapter 17- Visions
Chapter 18- Sand
Chapter 19- Winning Failures
Christmas Special- 2019
Special Chapter 1- Rose Magnolia
Special Chapter 2- Kabu

Chapter 11- Grass Battle

865 36 311
By ZelTheWeavile

The roar of the crowd only seemed to become louder with each step Gloria took towards the Gym Field. Her legs felt like jelly, and she wobbled slowly down the hallway.

The drone of the audience didn't help at all, and Gloria could feel her nerves getting the best of her.

I gotten this far, so there's no going back now! She took a breath to steady herself. I earned this battle with Milo, so I can't be nervous. She reminded herself of the Gym Mission, in which she had to herd Wooloos through a large room with Yampers chasing after her.

And so she pressed on, ignoring the uneasiness in herself, and moving to the center of the field.

". . . And here is our challenger, Gloria Shield from Postwick Town!"

The murmur of the crowd became loud cheering as she stepped onto the field. The bright lights up above shine right into her face, making her have to squint until her eyes refocused.

Ever so slowly, she walked to the center of the field, looking around herself at the audience. There were several empty patches without any people, but that's what she gets for being one of the last ones to battle Milo.

"And now, we have our very own Gym Leader from right here in Turffield Town! Everyone, please welcome the Grass Expert, Milo Midori!"

The cheering intensified until it was almost deafening, as Milo walked down the field. He stopped right in front of Gloria and looked down at her with a kind smile.

"You a'right there, Lass?"

"Just nervous is all," she confessed, sparing a glance around them.

Milo placed a hand onto her shoulder. "I'm sure you'll be fine. Just ignore the crowd and do your best."

Gloria nodded. "Thank you."

Milo returned her gesture and turned around to walk to his side of the field. Gloria did the same on her side and stopped at a painted square on the field, where she would be standing.

The announcer asked them if they were ready and if their microphones were on, which they both answered with a certain "yes."

"Then let the match. . . Begin!"

Instantly a music played through the stadium, sounding over the crowd. It gave Gloria confidence and energy just listening to it, and it took all that she had not to tap her foot along to the beat.

"Gossifleur, go!" Milo shouted out, the mic on his shirt catching his voice. He threw out a Poké Ball, revealing a light teal Pokémon, only a couple of feet tall. It had five scarlet petals stretching down from its head to the ground and outwards, imitating hair. A large golden flower sat perfectly in the center of its head, just barely covering a pair of bronze eyes.

Gloria took a deep breath and took out her own Poké Ball. I know that Val and Tuff are stronger, but I also want to give Penny a chance too. And besides, she's been getting a lot better at fighting with Val's training.

"Penny, I choose you!" She tossed the Ball, and out came a striped Zigzagoon. The monochromed Pokémon looked around curiously, her bright pink eyes blinking in wonder. Finally her gaze focused on her opponent and she lowered herself down to the ground, ready to attack. She barked a few times.

"Penny, start off with Quick Attack!" Gloria called out. A small bit of pride welled up inside as she watched her Galarian Pokémon cloak herself in light and charge towards the foe, zigzagging this way and that.

"Dodge and use Magical Leaf!" Milo shouted, throwing his arm in front of himself. Gossifleur leapt up into the air, evading Penny's attack. The raccoon was already a bit exhausted from having run all the way across the field, but still she stood, strong and waiting for Gloria's next command.

Gossifleur let out a loud call and raised its head up to the sky, bright green, razor-sharp leaves materializing around it. Then, they all turned downwards and shot through the air, nearing Penny.

"Avoid them with Quick Attack!" Gloria commanded, her anxiousness returning for a brief moment. Penny quickly ran away, but her fast movements were not able to stop the flying leaves. They sailed right to her, nipping her skin through her thick layer of fur. Penny let out a cry of pain and fell to the ground.

"Penny!" Gloria's voice was made louder through her microphone. "Can you still go on?"

Penny slowly lifted her head and stood up, shaking out her pelt. She let out a happy bark to let Gloria know she was okay.

Gloria sighed in relief. "Then Bite that flower with everything you've got!" Penny happily obliged and ran towards her foe, opening her jaw to sink her teeth into the Grass-Type's body.

"Rapid Spin, while she's close!" Milo called out. His Gossifleur immediately twirled in the air before slamming down onto Penny, knocking her back to the ground. "Finish her with Round!" Gossifleur nodded and opened its mouth, singing a few loud notes of an unknown song. A wave of distorted energy appeared around it, and crashed onto Penny. Penny was unable to dodge, and fell onto her belly, her legs splayed out at her sides. She had been defeated.

Gloria took a shaky breath and slowly lifted Penny's Poké Ball to return her. "You did greater than I could have hoped," she whispered into the Ball once she had recalled Penny, keeping her voice low enough to not be picked up by the mic. The music that had been playing so energetically before now seemed quieter, like it was mocking her. She took out her second Poké Ball with slightly narrowed eyes. And here I thought that the first few Gym Challenges were supposed to be easy.

"Tuff, come on out!" In a flash, her snowy Scorbunny materialized right before her, her scarlet ears twitching at the loud cheering of the stadium. However, the moment she saw Milo and his Eldegoss across the field, a grin formed on her face.

"Scor," Tuff told Gloria, placing her paws on her waist. She then motioned to her opponent, her grin growing. "Bun, bunny?"

She thinks this is going to be easy, Gloria thought with an annoyed face. "Tuff— look out!" Her eyes widened in fear as Gossifleur had fired another Magical Leaf, this time aimed at Tuff. The Scorbunny quickly looked up before leaping up, throwing an Ember and turning the leaves into cinders. The ashes drifted past Tuff as she landed back on the ground. She faced Milo with a serious expression on her face.

"Ember and Double Kick!" Gloria told her starter, worried for a second that Tuff wouldn't listen. However, her doubts disappeared as Tuff ran towards the Gossifleur. She jumped up, creating an Ember between her paws, and threw it at her opponent.

"Rapid Spin to stop 'em!" Gossifleur stretched its petals out to begin twirling around, however, Tuff was faster. Her Ember faded away from the air around Gossifleur's spinning, but she was still in the air. She crashed down, slamming her two feet into Gossifleur. The heat pads on the soles of her paws burned the Grass-Type, and it collapsed after another Ember attack.

Gloria noticed the way Tuff winced slightly as she landed back onto the ground; she had been hit by Gossifleur's heavy petals, even if it was only barely. Worry and apprehension rose up in Gloria as she feared what happened to Penny to happen to Tuff. What if Tuff got really injured. . ?

"Scor!" Tuff cheered, throwing her arms into the air. She jumped up and down, a prideful smirk on her face as she pointed at Milo and laughed. She looked back at Gloria, placing her paws back onto her waist. "Bun, bunny!" She strolled back to her Trainer, grinning all around herself.

"Eldegoss, let's do this!" Milo's voice brought Gloria and Tuff's attention back to him. Tuff merely raised an eyebrow and smirked as Milo brought out another Poké Ball. But as they both watched, red light particles from his Dynamax Band surrounded the Poké Ball. The Ball grew to several times its size, a red aura surrounding it.

Milo patted the large Poké Ball in his hand before suddenly turning on his heel and throwing it as hard as he could behind him. The Ball opened, a huge Pokémon coming out from it. It towered over everyone, its size filling nearly half of the stadium itself. It was a light green color, with leaves that drifted down as if it was wearing a small dress. A yellow leaf was tied around its neck, like a scarf. On its back was a large ball of white cotton, with light brown seeds scattered throughout it.

"Degoss!" It cried out. Up above, maroon clouds began to circle around it, creating a halo above its head. Even higher, the sky became dark as purple clouds spun, creating strong winds and casting a shadow over everything nearby.

Tuff, who had been so proud and eager to fight only seconds ago, now cowered back from the giant Pokémon, her ears folded back. She looked back and gave Gloria a nervous smile. "Bun?"

Gloria bit her lip and brought out her Poké Ball to return Tuff, but Milo spoke once again, bringing her away from her thoughts.

"You aren't gonna switch out your Scorbunny, are you? Give us all a true Dynamax battle and use your Dynamax Band!"

At the word "Dynamax", Gloria's own Dynamax Band began to glow and heat up, the fiery temperatures emitting from it heating up the skin around her wrist. She hissed and quickly returned Tuff, ready to bring out Valiant to take down this supersized Pokémon.

Instead, the red light from her Dynamax Band escaped and entered Tuff's Poké Ball. The sphere grew in size, becoming heavy in Gloria's arms. Her eyes widened; was this really Dynamax? She had never used the Galarian phenomenon herself before, and fear clouded all her other thoughts. What if something happened? What if she or Milo got hurt? What about Tuff?

The Ball suddenly opened in her arms, Tuff appearing right in front of her. Gloria was thrown back from the energy it gave off, but she quickly caught herself and looked at her partner.

Tuff stood tall over the stadium, gently moving back and forth, Dynamax energy filling her. She slowly lifted a paw to rub her nose, gravity intensified from her large form. She glanced back at her opponent, a low "Scorrrr," coming from her mouth. She tried hopping a few times to regain her balance, but every bounce made the ground shake.

The audience cheered, their shouts all forming an individual chant, hoping for a truly intense battle.

Milo smiled, satisfied with Gloria's decision (even though it wasn't really her choice). "Eldegoss, use Max Strike and lower their speed!" Eldegoss smiled and floated into the air, a ball of glowing energy forming right in front of it. Then, without warning, it fired it, sending a powerful beam of light energy towards Tuff.

Tuff slid several meters as she was hit, but shook off the pain. She did seem to be moving a lot slower though than she was earlier. . .

"Ember!" Gloria shouted, having to raise her voice over the chants of the crowd. Tuff nodded as she began creating a ball of fire from her paws. She tried to throw it, but it just fell straight down. In a quick movement, she swung her foot and kicked it towards Eldegoss. It streaked across the sky and hit its target, a wave of heat engulfing the stadium.

However, Eldegoss didn't let a little bit of flames hurt it, and instead sent a large seed out in front of Tuff. The Scorbunny flinched as her energy was sucked away, it being sent straight to her foe.

"Tuff, don't let that stop you! Use Em—!"

"Max Strike once more!"

Tuff fell backwards this time, a bruise forming on her chest from the impact of the attack. She closed her eyes and tried to suck in the pain, as Milo's Eldegoss had landed a Critical Hit on her. She shook once again as her energy was sucked away from Max Overgrowth.

As Gloria watched in fear, Tuff stood back up, shaking her head and rubbing her paws together. She lifted her gaze and grinned at Eldegoss before firing another Max Flare.

"Wait, Tuff!" Gloria tried to get Tuff to stop, but she wasn't even listening. Max Flare after Max Flare Tuff kept firing, even after Eldegoss had fallen.

The Dynamax Band around Gloria's wrist seared into her skin with an unbearable heat. She hurried to grab it and threw it onto the ground, but the burning sensation still lingered.

As soon as the Band left her touch, Tuff reverted back to her normal size and fell facefirst onto the grass.

"Tuff!" Gloria ran to her Scorbunny, sliding onto the ground as she reached her. Tuff made no movement, even as Gloria lifted her into her arms. What was going on with her. . ? What if we got. . . disqualified. . ? She pushed those thoughts away and looked back down to Tuff. "You did amazing out there. Take a rest," she whispered before returning Tuff back into her Poké Ball.

"Gym Leader has no remaining Pokémon that can fight, which means Challenger Gloria Shield is the winner!"

She froze. She. . . won? She blinked a few times and looked at Milo, wondering if she really heard correctly. He was in the center of the field, smiling warmly and waiting for her.

Seems like I heard that right. She hesitated for a second, then met the farmer in the center of the field. Their hands met in a firm handshake.

"Congrats on your victory, Miss Gloria." His voice was calm, showing no signs of the passion he had displayed out in the battle.

Gloria nodded slowly. "Thank you. . ." Now she wasn't really sure what to think; should she trust his kindness or keep her guard up for if he was actually like how he was in their battle?

Their hands separated, and Gloria found herself holding a small gold pin with the Grass Gym logo and a copy of Milo's League Card.

"You know," Milo began as she started to read the back of his League Card. "I haven't fought that hard in a Gym battle before, if I'm being completely honest." The brunette lifted her head immediately. "I'm really impressed you actually managed to defeat me like you did, and with another Pokémon to spare, no less." He motioned to Valiant's unopened Poké Ball.

"Thank you," Gloria said again. She placed the pin and card into her cardigan pocket.

Milo smiled. "So you're off to face Nessa over in Hulbury, correct? She is a lot tougher than I am, but if you managed to battle me like you did, then I am sure you'll win against her with no problem."

Gloria nodded her head up and down. "Right. I'll keep that in mind. . ."

The two turned to retreat back into their respective hallways off of the field. Gloria was escorted to the front lobby and was about to leave when she was stopped by a Gym employee.

"Challenger Gloria!" She stopped and turned around to face whoever had called her name. "You left this out on the field." He held his hand out, her Dynamax Band in his palm.

Gloria's eyes widened slightly at the sight of it, the memory of it burning her skin still fresh in her memory. She rubbed her right wrist subconsciously. She debated for a split second whether to leave it and run off to Hulbury, but the man didn't seem to be in any pain from holding it. She hesitated. "Thanks." She quickly grabbed it and slipped it back around her wrist, feeling no heat from it at all. Strange.

She turned on her heel and exited the Gym. The sun was high up in the sky, and when she checked her phone for the time, it was about noon.

She healed up her Team at the Pokémon Center, catching a quick meal while she waited for Penny and Tuff to recover. When they were better, she left for Hulbury. If she kept walking, she would be able to reach there before dark.

And so, she started some music on her phone and walked.

⚔️ 🛡

She was wrong.

It was dark when she finally reached the coastal town.

Of course, it probably didn't help that she had been stopped almost as soon as she trekked onto Route Five. She passed by a Pokémon Daycare, and the workers there had pulled her inside and gave her an egg.

"Please take this egg!" They had practically begged. "The Trainer left it with us, saying he didn't want it because it's not going to be a shiny! And we can't care for it because we already have our nursery full of Pokémon!"

If Gloria has known the lecture they would have given her about raising a baby Pokémon, she would have declined. However, as she entered Hulbury, she couldn't help but think that they hadn't even told her what Pokémon would come out of the egg. At least, though, she had a new Team member, even if she didn't even know what it was or when it would hatch.

"There she is! Gloria!" She hardly had any time to react when Hop tackled her from behind in a hug. She stumbled forward in surprise, the egg and its incubator flying from her hands. Before she could scream for the unhatched Pokémon, Marnie rushed and caught the incubator, holding it safely against her chest.

"Hop, ya need ta be more careful!" Marnie scolded the purple-haired Trainer.

"Oh yeah," Hop replied sheepishly. He stepped back and grinned nervously at his friend. "Sorry, Gloria."

Gloria sighed before returning his smile. "It's fine, Hoppy. Just please be more careful, like Marnie said." She flicked his forehead lightly. She completely missed the bright blush that had formed on his face, and turned to Marnie instead. "Thank you so much." She took the egg incubator back from her. "Really, thank you both so much for meeting me here. You both are too kind."

Marnie blinked and looked down. "Yer welcome." She paused for a second. "Hop was the one who asked me ta wait with him for ya, though. I only agreed 'cause it felt nice being able to stay with my friends." She suddenly froze and looked at them both quickly. "I- I mean, sorry for callin' y'all my friends! I- If you don't wanna be friends it's fine too!" Her face was red in embarrassment.

Hop went to her side and patted her back. "No need to be so nervous, Mar. It's just Gloria and me, and I promise we don't bite."

Gloria tilted her head slightly. Mar? Did he really create a nickname for her. . ? She glanced at them again, noticing Marnie relax a little, and gasped silently. Does he like Marnie? She smiled. Hop, I will help you. No need to ask me for help.

The brunette strolled up to the pair and looped her arm through Hop's. "So we all beat Milo, yeah?" Before they could even answer she went on. "Then let's all go get some dinner together! I've heard there's a really nice restaurant here in Hulbury. . ."

Hop's face lit up before quickly glancing away from Gloria. "Sure! That sound okay to you?" He asked Marnie. She simply nodded silently, not at all used to being in a situation like this.

With the three of them all agreeing, Hop led the way down to the center of Hulbury. The scent of ocean and seafood met Gloria's nose and only got worse with each step. Hop and Marnie seemed unaffected by it though, probably because they've been here in this city for longer.

The trio reached the restaurant they were looking for and entered, more than ready to begin their meal together.

⚔️ 🛡

"So, what kind of Pokémon do you think you want?"

Liddy's face brightened at the question. "A cute one! Like Eevee or Joltik!" She bounced up and down excitedly. "Ooh, I really really wanna Eevee! Then I can evolve it into the cutest Eevee evolution!"

Her brother smiled at her enthusiasm and tucked his hands into his pockets. "And what might that be?"

Liddy paused and pressed a finger to her lips, thinking. "Fla-ree-on," she finally recited from memory. "Or the grass one. I forget what that one's named."

"Leafeon," her brother answered for her.

"Yeah, that one!" She beamed and skipped ahead of him, making him speed up a little to catch up.

"I'm surprised you didn't say you wanted a Sylveon."

Liddy stopped and looked at him dumbfounded. "Sylvee-what?"

"Sylveon. You know, the Fairy Eeveelution, with pink cutesy bows and ribbons."

At that, Liddy gasped. "I want it! Can I have one, please?!"

Her brother laughed. "We'll see, Liddy. We have to find an Eevee first before we can get it to evolve."

Liddy seemed to think this through before finally nodding, satisfied. "Alrighty! I'm going to catch an Eevee and name her Pinky, and then I'm going to evolve her into a Sylvia!"

"Sylveon," her brother corrected. They had finally left Turffield and were on Route Four. He pulled Liddy down and knelt in front of her. "Can I tell you a secret?"

The blonde's eyes sparkled as she nodded her head up and down eagerly. She kept silent, ready for whatever he had to tell her.

"I've heard there's a really rare Eevee running around somewhere here." Her mouth opened slightly in wonder. "If we are lucky, we may be the ones to catch it. How would you like that?"

"Yes!" Liddy squealed and ran past her brother, towards a patch of grass. "Eevee, where are you? Eevee?!"

The boy smiled softly, watching his sister. If only she knew that there really wasn't any rare Eevee, that the whole story had been fake. But as long as her smile was there, he didn't want to tell her.

Besides, he never had the heart to ruin others' joy.

"Come on!" Liddy yelled at her brother. "Help me find it!"

He chuckled lightly and tucked a strand of dark hair behind his ear. "Alright. I'm coming." And he left to search for an Eevee that didn't exist.

Can I just say first of all... GLORIA WHY ARE YOU SO OBLIVIOUS?!?? HOP DOESN'T LIKE MARNIE, HE LIKES YOU!!!! UGHAJSJNDNSNBSJ

Ok I think I'm done.

Anyway I apologize for not updating. I seriously was planning on it, but, well, I wanted to have Gloria's first Gym Battle be a bit of a challenge. And I didn't quite know how to make that happen.

My dad is actually the one who told me what to write, and it seems to be really good.

On the plus side, I think I'm getting better at writing Pokémon battle scenes. Also I made this chapter a bit longer than usual to make up for the hiatus.

And so now I ask you this. It might still be a bit early, but I'm curious what you guys think...
Who do you want Gloria to end up with? (Who do you ship her with?)

Thank you so much everyone, and thank you ErinOfCarson for ideas with how to end the chapter!

I love you all, and I'll hopefully update sooner!

Also this story seems to be going by a lot quicker than I had anticipated. Glo might end up challenging Nessa next chapter...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.2K 8 29
The Galar Region, a beautiful place where these creatures called Pokémon thrive. In the sea, in the air, on land, everywhere. People have co-existed...
445 0 12
Gloria knows it's pretty weird to be so obsessed with her best friend and neighbor's older brother, especially since she's never met him before. She...
34K 875 28
"I want to become stronger one day so I'm able to be worthy to you...!" -Hop For a long time now, Hop had always considered his friend (y/n), a child...
5.3K 71 10
Marnie is a Gym leader and Gloria is the champion, they've both been hiding their feelings for years so what will happen when they move in together...