Blazing: An Avatar AU

By demonicxchaos

(Y/N)'s life up until now hasn't been easy. I mean high school, am I right? That's never easy. Loaded with cl... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty-One
Chapter Fifty-Two
Chapter Fifty-Three
Chapter Fifty-Four
Chapter Fifty-Five
Chapter Fifty-Six
Chapter Fifty-Seven
Chapter Fifty-Eight
Chapter Fifty-Nine
Chapter Sixty
Chapter Sixty-One
Chapter Sixty-Two
Chapter Sixty-Three
Chapter Sixty-Four
Chapter Sixty-Five
Chapter Sixty-Six
Chapter Sixty-Seven
Chapter Sixty-Eight
Chapter Sixty-Nine
Chapter Seventy
Chapter Seventy-One
Chapter Seventy-Two
Chapter Seventy-Three
Chapter Seventy Four
Chapter Seventy-Five
Chapter Seventy-Six
Chapter Seventy-Seven
Chapter Seventy-Eight
Chapter Seventy-Nine
Chapter Eighty
Chapter Eighty-One
Chapter Eighty-Two
Chapter Eighty-Three
A/N

Chapter Three

4K 165 396
By demonicxchaos

I peered into my chemistry class. Mr.Lee's back was to the door.  I silently opened the door and made it about halfway to my seat. Mr.Lee didn't turn around, but he sighed in disappointment, "Miss (Y/N). So nice of you to join us."

I laughed and scratched the back of my head, "that is totally my bad. It just took way longer than I thought it would getting here."

He turned around and rolled his eyes, "your house is a 10-minute walk away. What are you talking about?"

I sighed, "well I don't exactly live in my house anymore."

He looked confused, and I waved my hand dismissively, "It doesn't matter. I'm just going to sit down." 

"Wait, (Y/N)," he looked down at a piece of paper, "I see that you're enrolled in my advanced firebending class."

I groaned, "don't remind me."

"I didn't know that you can bend," he looked slightly impressed. 

"You learn something new every day, Mr.Lee."

He stroked his chin, "still, the advanced class is really hard to get into how di-"

"I guess you'll see during 5th period, now can we please, for the life of me, just do chemistry?"

He nodded and started teaching. 

The next few periods rolled by pretty quickly. It was (unfortunately) time for fire bending. Zuko was waiting outside the doors to the bending gym. I waved my hands in front of his face, "hey Prince Zuko without the Prince, why do you look lost?"

"Oh! I was just waiting for you."

"Uh... ok, but... why?"

His face turned red, "Well, I mean- you don't even like this class, so I thought that it would be the nice thing to do."

I laughed, "well, thank you. And you're right. I don't even like this class."

He lightly pushed my arm with his elbow and smiled,"Hey, I've seen you bend. I say you wipe the floor with these idiots. You know, to make you feel better."

I laughed, "I might just take you up on that offer, Prince Zuko without the Prince."

"Stop calling me that!"

"Shut up, let's just go inside," I smiled and opened the doors to the gym. It was huge, way bigger than the gym actually used for gym class. The walls were padded with flame-resistant material (I wonder why) and in the middle of the gym, there was a huge ring (for one-on-one bending) and on the floor was a huge painting of our school mascot: a Dragon. Mr.Lee stood in the middle of the ring, grinning. 

I groaned. 

Zuko looked concerned, "what?"

"I hate this guy."

"Mr.Lee...?"

"Yes, man."

"How do you even know him?"

"He's my chemistry teacher."

"Mr.Lee teaches chemistry? Nerd."

I punched Zuko's arm, "hey! I'm in chemistry."

He coughed, "nerd."

I rolled my eyes and we sat down in a circle around the ring. There were about 9 other people (not counting Zuko and me) in our class, currently. Advanced Firebending is apparently a hard class to get into. I was the only girl in the class since Azula doesn't take fire bending in school. She refuses to bend with peasants. She has her own private tutor (whose ass I just kicked, but have fun with that one Azula).

Mr.Lee clapped his hands in order to get everyone's attention, "so today, we have a new student! (Y/N), why don't you come up here."

"I really don't think that that's necessary. I'm just going to sit on this comfortable piece of the floor here," I patted the floor. 

He gave me the same look he gives me when he catches me on my phone in the middle of his class. I sighed. That's the "get your ass up here or I'm calling your dad look". Except for my dad's dead so now, it the "I'm calling Fire Lord Ozai." And that is just scary. I sighed and got up. Zuko smiled at me and mouthed "good luck". I smiled back and made my way to the ring. Every other guy in the class glared at me. Or just looked uncomfortable. I don't have any friends, but everyone knows who I am. Rather who my dad was. General Seizo. Hard to forget. Plus they probably think I cheated my way into the class. I don't even want to be here. But, ok. Mr.Lee patted my shoulder, "as you all know, a new student means finding new rankings. So, (Y/N), you will be sparring with everyone, starting from the one with the lowest ranking," he looked at a boy in the back with disdain, "and you will be working your way up until you lose. Prince Zuko," he nodded at Zuko, "holds the spot for number one, but don't worry, I don't think you'll have to spar with him." 

I mumbled, "I wouldn't be too sure."

Mr.Lee looked annoyed, "I can never get you to shut up, and now you're not speaking up?"

"Whatever man, bring on the firebenders."

He sighed, "Hide, you're up."

A boy, clearly delighted to spar with me, probably because he thought he'd win and no longer be known as the worst, ran into the ring. I sighed and stretched. He stood in a fighting position. Mr.Lee walked out of the ring, "3...2....1... fight!"

Mans went all in. He started blasting the hell out of me. I simply dodged his blasts calmly, slowly getting closer to him. I watched as another blast built up in his hands, before I swept my foot under his leg, causing him to start to tumble onto the ground. I grabbed his arm before he fell, and twisted behind his back. I brought it up until I heard a crack, and then I dropped him. He screamed in pain and writhed on the floor. I brushed off my shoulders and turned around, "ok, who's next?"

Mr.Lee looked at poor Hide on the floor, "you- you didn't even bend-"

"When I come upon an opponent that's good enough for me to have to bend, I'll bend. Now, who's next?"

***

I went through the next nine people before the first period of bending even ended. Easy. I still haven't used bending. 

Mr.Lee looked shocked, "ok class, let's take a small break, and then we'll regroup in five minutes to see (Y/N) and Prince Zuko spar."

I yawned, "Yeah, ok."

Zuko ran up to me grinning, "you should have seen their faces when you demolished them. It was hilarious."

I laughed, "I mean, the fact that I'm underestimated works to my advantage, doesn't it?"

"Maybe, but I know better than to underestimate you. So, it looks like you're sans advantage."

"Well, maybe I don't need an advantage. I'm just better than you."

He scoffed, "don't push it, (Y/N)."

"Aw, did I hurt Prince Zuko without the Prince's feelings?"

He lightly pushed me, "stop calling me that!"

I smiled, "maybe one day."

Mr.Lee clapped, "ok, break over. (Y/N), Prince Zuko, come on."

I stretched and walked to the front with Zuko. Mr.Lee looked behind us at Hide whose arm was turning purple, "Hide, I think you should probably go to the Nurse's Office."

Hide grimaced and left the gym. Zuko and I chuckled and went to stand opposite each other in the ring. 

One of the boys clapped their hands, "come on Prince Zuko! Beat her!"

Zuko just rolled his eyes and smiled at me.  

Mr.Lee nodded at us, and we nodded back, signifying that we were ready. "3...2...1... Start!"

Zuko and I circled each other in the ring. 

No one attacked. Yet. Zuko had been studying the way I move. He knows I don't make the first blow. So, what if I did. That would surprise him, for sure. I took a deep breath and lunged, attempting to grab Zuko's arm. He looked shocked, but he caught on pretty quick, moving out of the way. I balanced myself, so I wouldn't fall to the ground. Zuko grinned, "it's gonna be harder than that, you know."

I sighed, "yeah, but it was worth a shot, your highness."

"Stop with the formalities!"

"No-" Zuko tried a hook kick to the face, I ducked, "man, while I was talking? Cold."

He grinned apologetically, "sorry."

I backed away from him. I knew Zuko was a close-range fighter, so perhaps long-range would end this fight. Unfortunately, that did mean bending. But, I mean it was about time. I'm starting to think that these people think that I'm a nonbender. I took a deep breath and created a whirling disk of flame, a pinwheel of fire, and sent it hurtling towards Zuko. It was an advanced technique. Mr.Lee gasped. Zuko's eyes widened and he ducked away just in time, I cursed. I really thought I could end this in one blow. Zuko looked at me like I was crazy, "Jesus, (Y/N)! Are you trying to murder me??"

I laughed, "of course not, your highness," I dodged a fire blast from him. 

He advanced towards me, his blasts getting more concentrated. I really didn't expect him to be this good. If only I could use my waterbending right now. This fight would be over. I sighed and continued dodging Zuko's blasts. Soon he was inches away. He was ready to deliver a final blow. But I lifted my leg and used a spinning kick to produce an arc of fire sending him back six feet (give or take). 

He looked momentarily stunned, then he prepared to attack. I groaned, "how are you not tired??"

He grinned, "I could go all day."

I got in a fighting stance, "so could I."

Zuko lunged towards me, grabbing my arm and turning me around, so my back was to him. He grabbed my other hand and twisted both arms behind my back, inhibiting my ability to bend. Oh shit. Was I gonna lose? No way. 

Zuko bent his head slightly to my ear, "you should yield now."

I took a deep breath. I knew one way to get out of this. I concentrated on my breath. 

Zuko sighed, "second isn't bad."

Mr.Lee starting counting, "5...4...3..."

Now. 

I released a stream of fire from my mouth, causing Zuko to drop his grip on me. 

Mr.Lee was not happy, "how did you-? I can't even- I-?"

I smiled and turned to face Zuko who was sweating, "second isn't bad, Zuko. Maybe you should give up now."

"That's my Uncle's technique."

"Iroh? Yeah. I studied him."

"How?"

I grinned and blasted fire at him, which he dodged. 

***

The period was going to end in ten minutes. Zuko and I had been fighting for nearly an hour, with no clear winner. I was tired, he was tired, and Mr.Lee was just mad, seeing as though the gym was nearly ruined. Clearly "fireproof" has never met me. 

I looked over at Zuko. He had a determined look on his face, and he took a deep breath charging up a fire bending blast. He let the blast go, and my eyes widened as I realized it wasn't a blast at all. A steady stream of fire was headed my way. I fumbled with my hands, and matched the intensity of his stream, creating one of my own. They met in the middle of the ring, fighting for dominance. I felt heat building up, then an explosion, which blasted us both back to the end of the ring. We were both on the ground, exhausted. Then we both sprung up, at the same time. Clearly tired, and out of moves. 

I felt dizzy, "there's still one more thing I can do," I took a deep breath and concentrated on my hands. I saw lightning crackle at my fingertips. 

Mr.Lee looked at me like I was insane, "NO! NO LIGHTNING IN THE GYM. ARE U KIDDING ME? ARE YOU CRAZY? PUT YOUR FINGERS DOWN. IT'S A TIE. OK? GOT IT? YOU ARE BOTH FIRST."

My lightning dissipated and Zuko and I both fell back onto the ground. 

Mr.Lee looked at us and sighed, "somebody call the damn nurse."

Long story short, we got to go home early!

Zuko and I entered the palace (home??) to be greeted by a servant, rushing us to the throne room. Seriously? Ozai couldn't just... call us? 

Whatever. 

As Zuko and I entered the throne room I felt a chill run down my spine. 

Ozai stood in the center, his eyes, though genetically the same as Zuko's, somehow eternally different. He held a hardness, one that Zuko lacked. And though his facial expression was calm, his eyes reflected rage. 

"Zuko," his voice echoed through the throne room, and Zuko flinched at the mention of his name.

"Y-yes father?"

Ozai smiled slyly, "so. I heard that (Y/N) matches your firebending ability. After everything I have done for you, how can that be? You can't even beat a young lady who has been hiding her bending for all her life? You're a disgrace. Nothing compared to your younger sister."

Zuko's face fell. I couldn't help but feel angry at Ozai for treating his son like that. I opened my mouth, "how could you expect your son to flourish if you're giving him less than the best?"

Ozai's piercing eyes turned to me. Shit. "Pardon me?"

Zuko nudged me as if to tell me to shut up. 

I'd already started, there was no going back, "you shame your son for not being better than me, when his own firebending master fell to my bending, much faster than he did. He's already surpassed his teacher, so tell me, your highness, how is he supposed to learn when his master, is oh so disposable?"

Fire Lord Ozai laughed. But it wasn't lighthearted. In fact, it was the scariest laugh I've ever witnessed. 

"So much like your father, (Y/N). Always speaking out of turn," he let out a nostalgic sigh as if he actually liked it. He clicked his tongue, "perhaps you're right. Prince Zuko- " he averted his gaze towards his son, "-perhaps a new tutor would be in our best interest."

Zuko looked taken aback. Ozai nodded at us, "leave."

Well, he didn't have to tell me twice. I bowed and Zuko and I left. After we were out of earshot, Zuko turned to me, "thank you."

"For what?"

"You know what. I've never seen anyone stand up to him like that."

I smiled, "he wasn't being fair to you."

We made it to my room. He stopped walking and turned to face me completely. His eyes stared into mine. They were warm. I could see my own reflection in them. He raised his hand and moved a piece of my hair behind my ear, "thank you."

I smiled at him, my heart beating fast, "anytime Zuko."

His eyes flicked down to my lips, then he shook his head and lowered his hand, which was still by my cheek. He coughed and scratched the back of his head, "well, this is your room. So- uh- yeah... uh, have fun!" He ran off to his room. I laughed and opened the door to my room. I laid on the bed and looked up at the ceiling, my heart still beating faster than I could register. 

Prince Zuko.

I felt my face heat up.

Huh. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

16.2K 649 20
ᵃ ᶻᵘᵏᵒ ˣ ʳᵉᵃᵈᵉʳ - 𝐂𝐨𝐦𝐩𝐥𝐞𝐭𝐞𝐝 - "𝙺𝚎𝚎𝚙 𝚒𝚝 𝚊 𝚜𝚎𝚌𝚛𝚎𝚝..𝚙𝚕𝚎𝚊𝚜𝚎?" 𝙸 𝚕𝚘𝚘𝚔𝚎𝚍 𝚊𝚝 𝙸𝚛𝚘𝚑 𝚜𝚌𝚊𝚛𝚎𝚍. ➪ A story about a y...
836K 27K 56
A Zuko X Reader story. As always, I wrote this for myself but you can read it, too, if you'd like. Y/N was an air bender, she was tasked with watch...
255K 7.5K 70
𝐈𝐧 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐅𝐮𝐭𝐮𝐫𝐞 | ᴀʟʟ ʙᴏᴏᴋs ❝ Fire can be and is destructive but learning doesn't have to be. ❞ ✎ 𝐀𝐯𝐚𝐭𝐚𝐫: 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐋𝐚𝐬𝐭 𝐀𝐢𝐫𝐛𝐞𝐧...
869K 23K 78
***CURRENTLY UNDER EDITING*** Broken, filled with loss, pain, and anger of her people's death... she could only hope she had died with them. An Air B...