The Fractured Holder [Pokémon...

By ImberLapis

There exists a power that has dwelled in the land of Hyrule for countless millennia. It is the power that hel... More

Disclaimer
00| Reversion
01| Looks Do Deceive
02| Turned Tables
03| Shackled with Another
04| The Holders
05| Correction
06| Kokiri Glade
07| The Overseer and the Overseen
08| Course of Action
09| Fractured Courage
10| A Tenuous Agreement
11| Southern Swamps
12| Loyalty of the Deku
13| The Price of Divinity
14| Fortitude
15| Misplaced Sentiments
16| Admittance
17| Tales of Beasts and Solemn Sands
18| Awash and Overboard
19| Shifting Tides
20| Notes of Wisdom
21| Cracks
22| The In-Between
23| Ascending Descent
24| Of A Feather
25| Village of Red Eyes
26| A Will of Iron
27| Winds from the West
28| Tell-All
29| Fear and Resolve
30| Trust
31| Wayfinding
33| The Eldin Highlands
34| Doubts of Loyalty
35| Nocturne of Shadow
36| Gerudo Fortress
37| Into the Desert
38| The Healer
39| Arbiter
40| Dark Before the Dawn
41| Strains of Empathy
42| Last Threads
43| Revelation
44| The Dawn Before Dusk
45| The Holder of Courage
46| Hyrule Castle
47| From Another World
48| Clash of the Holders
49| The King of Hyrule
50| A Wish for the Future
End| Renew
Glossary
Acknowledgments

32| Prelude of Light

139 9 13
By ImberLapis

The moment Link found out that he was fully healed, he immediately set back to work doing his usual training, this time with an added vigor. He already knew his strength had begun to wither away, and he needed to regain that and more.

The Sheikah let him into some of their training grounds while they went unused, and he was even able to spar with his new temporary traveling companions. Haruo was definitely the most rewarding to go up against since the sisters were a lot like Luce when they fought. Fighting Haruo was like fighting a well-trained Gerudo that was slightly less light on their feet. Within a few days, Link was feeling mostly like his old self again.

"You don't know how envious I am," Zelda said as she readied an orb of Wisdom. She reeled back and lobbed it at Link with all her strength, as much as her non-dominant hand would allow. Link allowed a pulse of Courage to run down the Master Sword as he slashed at the orb, countering the explosion.

Link lowered his blade, taking a deep breath. "What, that I can finally move good again? Yeah, it's pretty nice," he replied with a smug smile. "But you don't have much longer either, right?"

"Yes, and I've been thinking of trying to persuade Resa to let us stay another day or two just so I can regain my bearings with my bow. And perhaps I could try something new," Zelda said. "I've noticed what you've been doing with channeling Courage through the Master Sword, and I was curious if it would work with my arrows."

"I think it'd take a lot of focus to do that. I just have to act like the sword's another part of my arm, and the energy goes through. An arrow's a thing that's not part of ya, like ya hold it, but then ya let go when ya shoot."

Zelda's shoulders slumped in disappointment. "I figured that would be the case. I'd have to find a way to briefly imbue an arrow with Wisdom and then shoot it..." She clarified. "Basically, I need to keep a small bit of energy in an arrow."

"I'm sure ya can figure it out," Link said. "You're the Holder of Wisdom, ain'tcha?"

"Whether I'm a good Holder or not," Zelda said. "I suppose I could train during our breaks," she sighed, "while I'm exhausted from walking."

Link raised an eyebrow, confused. "Ya trained before during our breaks."

"You're right, I shouldn't be complaining." She readied another orb, trying to throw it as high as she could so Link would have to scramble to reach it. It was a better, if not more risky challenge if the crater at the edge of the clearing was any indication of that.

Fortunately, Link managed to anticipate the new orb's path and slashed it in two, though this time there was some recoil from his concentration waning a little. "Nah, I get where ya comin' from," he said, shaking his head. "It's been a couple weeks now? Even a few days puts ya out of practice. A day or two won't..." He grimaced. "Never mind, it might kill Resa."

"What about you?"

Link looked around at the towering pines. "I feel right at home here in Necluda. Pines are different from oaks, but it's still forest. And at least I can train. I didn't leave the woods with Luce for almost a year y'know? We lived off fruit and roots and stuff while I got my first taste of fightin' while watchin' Luce train." He looked back at Zelda. "Weirdly enough, I miss those woods..." he said, his voice edging on wistful.

"Do you think you would ever like to go back there?" Zelda asked.

Link felt a brief pang in his chest before he gritted his teeth, exhaling sharply. "No. Brings up too many bad memories," he muttered with narrowed eyes. "Sorry, I know, ya were just askin'."

"You don't have to apologize, Link," Zelda said. "But I still have some energy left in me. You?"

Link inhaled deeply, concentrating on his aura. The golden energy swirling about was much fainter, though it still was there. "Maybe enough for one more. Make the charges small, and I can make it three."

"Okay, but don't go exhausting yourself too badly. Remember what Impa told us about the bonfire?" That morning, Impa had informed the group that once night fell that day, the village would be having their monthly bonfire. It had to do something with spiritual signposts, things Link didn't exactly understand, but Zelda was able to clear it up.

According to some legend Link had never heard of, Hylia created the moon as a beacon for both living and deceased travelers. On the first night of the new moon, a bonfire would be lit to act as a symbolic beacon, and the villagers would play music and dance to ward off negativity. Over time, the tradition had dwindled to just eastern Hyrule towns partaking in it.

"Eh, keepin' up my strength is more important than music," Link said. He couldn't deny that he would join in if training wasn't his top priority, even if he just sat on the sidelines.

"And I thought you liked music..." Zelda trailed off. "Well, do what you want, I suppose. I'm going to join in tonight, even if I can't dance to save my life." She summoned another orb, gazing at it before dissipating it and looking at Link. "You know, perhaps you should ask Resa about giving you the rest of Courage," she then said. "You said she'd give it to you when she thought you'd earned it, and I think you have."

"Really?" he replied dubiously.

"You still have some work to do, but everyone has some things that can't be changed about them completely. Still, I can confidently say you've come pret-ty damn far," she said with a giggle, grinning.

Link frowned, though he wasn't at all upset by Zelda's remark, quite the opposite. It actually made him feel happy she would say that. It was praise he didn't expect to ever recieve, and it was almost surreal to hear it. "Well, uh, a-alright. If ya think so, I'll go ask her," he said.

A confused yet interested expression took over Zelda's face. "What's with that look? You didn't expect to hear that from me?" She gave him a look of mock disappointment. "Link, I thought we were far past that!"

"Yeah. Still, it's sorta weird. Never thought I'd hear ya say that," Link said. "But... I like it." He tried to smirk, though it didn't feel as though it had his usual spark of confidence.

"I'm glad that's the case, then," Zelda said.

Link nodded, sheathing the Master Sword. "I wanna go ask Resa right now since ya got me excited, so... I'm gonna halfta abandon ya now."

Zelda's brows raised as she crossed her arms. "I'll pretend there's a 'sorry' tacked onto that." A corner of her mouth quirked up. "Good luck, though." Link nodded and left the clearing, feeling a bit bad he didn't say sorry as well.

Following Resa's aura, Link found her in the strategy hall of all places with Luce and Fira. Luce was listening as Fira and Resa pointed out different points on the map Impa had shown the group previously. Luce sensed Link's arrival and barked a greeting.

Good afternoon, Courage, Resa said as Fira nodded. I was discussing with Luce and Fira the terrain of Eldin and how their skills may help us traverse it. Fira's telekinesis will help us greatly with scaling cliffs.

"The floaty thing he does, right?" Link said. "Saved me when we were out in the Zora Channel, so I can agree with ya that it'd work with this."

But is there something wrong? I know you aren't one to strike up conversations unless you need something.

It'd never hurt less knowing that everyone had him figured out now. At least Link could say the same for the others. "Well... yeah. I wanna ask ya somethin'. Alone."

A polite way of telling us to leave, coming from you, Fira said.

Link sighed, putting a hand to his head. "I was thinkin' that the both of ya could go be with Zelda?" he proposed. "I-I felt bad leavin' her at the archery clearing like I did."

I see no issues with that, Fira said. I suppose that's where you'll find us after your little chat. Fira left the room, and Link and Luce exchanged smiles as she followed. What was left behind were the warm traces of Luce's tranquil aura. She hadn't been so happy in a while, and it lifted Link's spirits all the more. Hopefully they wouldn't be torn down.

What is it that you'd like to ask me? Resa asked.

"Firstly, Zelda wants to know if we can stay here an extra day or two," Link said. "She wants to get familiar with her bow again, but she's worried ya wouldn't wanna do that."

Resa crossed her sashes, gazing at the map in thought. While I do want to leave as soon as possible, if she doesn't feel confident in her abilities, then we will stay, she said. And what is the second thing you want to ask?

"I wanted to know when I'd be able to get the rest of Courage. Yeah, I know you'd be the one to decide when to give it, but I still wanted to ask."

Then why ask if you think you know the answer?

He might as well say it. "Zelda suggested that I ask," he admitted. "She said that she thinks I've made a lot of progress, an'... I believed her."

She isn't wrong. What you've been doing recently is frankly astounding to witness, Resa agreed. While I noticed you were changing, I never thought you would truly commit to your role as the Holder of Courage.

"I still don't agree with everythin', but I like ya guys too much to leave now." He was able to smirk genuinely this time. "You're stuck with me now."

And I'm glad for it, Resa said, her voice oddly bright. I have been considering giving the rest of Courage, but... there is an issue I've neglected to bring up.

Link's heart leapt in surprise and excitement; he never thought he'd hear her say this. But it was only for a moment as he grew concerned. What'd he do to prevent it this time? "What's the problem?"

Once I restore your Courage, I'll lose the ability to communicate with you directly, Resa said. I hate to return to my usual talk about the mission, but only Fira would be able to translate my words, and the problems that could arise from that are worrisome. What if we need to act quickly, and only I know how to deal with the situation? Her aura became gentle with sympathy. And you're not at all useless with how much Courage you currently have.

Of course Resa would raise a reasonable rebuttal. It still didn't stop Link from feeling mad, however. Not his usual brand of anger, but a low burning in the pit of his gut, like hot coals. As long as he didn't have all of Courage, he didn't feel he could truly match up with Zelda or anyone else in the group, for that matter. Still, albeit with a sigh, he said, "Then it's fine. Keep it as long as ya need to."

Resa didn't reply, appearing to go into thought for a moment. I... could try giving you a portion of Courage, she suggested unsurely. Enough that you have more of its power.

Link wanted to feel excited again, but he felt as cautious as Resa. "If you're really sure..." He purposefully trailed off.

I'm sure now. Now hold out your hand. Link did so, and Resa laid a sash atop the back of his hand. I need to concentrate...

Her Triforce marking then began to glow, and so did Link's, causing his hand to burn lightly. Golden light intertwined with green flowed down her sash and vanished once it touched Link's skin. Warmth ran down Link's arm and spread throughout his body, lulling with the feeling of basking in summer sunlight. The warmth began to retract, retreating into Link's core where it flared brightly before fading.

How... do y-you feel, Courage? Resa asked. Her voice was strange to Link now. It had an odd metallic buzz at its edges. I may... given you too much. I-I cannot take it back, so this is how th-things will be now.

The fire in him was blazing again, but this time it was with joy. Even if it wasn't all of Courage, he still felt happy that he could be of more use. "Thanks, Resa. I really do 'preciate it. Really," he said.

Resa gazed up at him, her aura brightening in a way that would have suggested a smile. You're welcome, Courage. I h-hope this gain serves you well. Now, I-I need to further examine... She returned to poring over the map, and Link let her be, a slightly guilt-fueled joyful spring in his step.

Back outside, Link found Zelda in the archery clearing with Luce and Fira. Link guessed that they were talking about something or other since they weren't doing anything else. Zelda did mention that she was feeling a little tired before, though she bolted to her feet when she saw that Link had returned.

"How did it go?" she asked.

"Well, take a look at this." He concentrated, tapping into the new energy he had access to. The faint trails of gold were reinvigorated, and he eagerly collected some of them. His efforts resulted in an orb that was twice the size of his usual summons. "Answer your question?" He barely had to concentrate on maintaining the orb while he spoke, which shocked Zelda.

"That's amazing, Link!" she gasped. "You didn't even need to practice multitasking for that..."

"Hey, you're gettin' there too. Ya know Aura's to thank for this," Link said, crushing the orb into particles of light. "But I also gotta thank ya again. I didn't think Resa would actually give up any of it, but she agreed with what ya said and gave me more. It's not all of it though since she needs some to talk with me."

"Still, it's great! And you're welcome for what I said before," Zelda said, grinning. "Now I'm assuming you want to get back to training?"

"'Course I do. Maybe the two of ya would wanna join us 'stead of goin' off someplace else?" He aimed a look at Luce, who smiled sheepishly.

"Lu!" she barked before summoning a Bone Club in one paw and an Aura Sphere in the other. Of course she'd instantly push for something more intense, but Link was always up to the challenge.

"I love your ideas, Luce," Link said, preparing his own weapons. Even this small dose of new power was enough to fire him up, and he was going to push it as much as he could.

The group of four stayed out until the sky began to turn pink and orange. Link was exhausted, just able to walk back to the village and do little else. He still was more than satisfied with what he'd managed to accomplish.

As they walked, over the crunch of twigs and pine needles underfoot, Link could pick up on a peculiar sound, blaring yet melodic. It wasn't birdsong or any other Pokémon, or anything produced by nature. He then realized it was the distant sound of... an instrument. It was like a flute, but not exactly. The true name escaped him, but he recognized it. One of his neighbors and his son played the instrument when Link still lived in Marin.

"You can hear that, right?" Zelda asked, and Link nodded.

"They must've started early," he said.

The closer they got to the village, the louder the music became. He could also make out a faint yellow glow through the trees. Other instruments now joined the first, strings and vocals, combining into a song Link also recognized, but he knew the name of: the Minuet of Forest, a song said to have originated with the Kokiri, or at least in the Akkala-Faron region of Hyrule.

Arriving in the village, the celebration was in full swing. It really could be called a celebration, because the calm air that the village usually held had been thoroughly disrupted by a flood of joy and excitement-laced auras. The stoic Sheikah were nearly unrecognizable as they indulged in the music, either by dancing or singing along, circling around the bonfire whose flames must have reached at least six feet high.

Those who didn't partake attempted to talk with each other, having to nearly shout over the other so they could be heard. Wooden cups of what was surely some kind of alcohol clacked as the Sheikah toasted each other. The happiness was clear on their faces, even from afar.

"I can't believe this is still Kakariko Village," Zelda said. "It's so different!"

"I'm surprised the village's still hidden if they pull this shit every month," Link said, an eyebrow raised. His senses pricked with the approach of Impa and Resa's auras, and they appeared out of the crowd moments later, silhouetted by the flames roaring behind them.

"Just because we're known for silence and secrecy doesn't mean we're incapable of having a good time," Impa said, assumingly having overheard Link's comment. It was more disturbing than surprising that she'd heard him. "Good evening to you, Holders and company."

"Good evening to you, as well, Impa," Zelda greeted.

Impa grinned. "Paya already made dinner, so you can either join us afterwards, or I'll see you in the morning. I'm going to go enjoy myself!" With a whoop, she vanished back into the crowd.

Sh-she... certainly drives a hard bargain, doesn't she? Resa asked. Did... training go well? In the short few hours since they last spoke, Link already forgot what the consequences of Resa giving him more Courage were. A stab of regret hit him, though it didn't stop him from responding.

"Definitely, and it was thanks to that Courage ya gave me."

F-fantastic! Are you going to join in on th-the celebration?

"Link's going to be boring and sleep," Zelda said. "He apparently managed to use up all his Courage and more."

"Rio, lu," Luce yipped, staring at Link with disapproving, narrowed eyes. He reluctantly retained eye-contact, shrugging.

"What? You can still join them," he said, to Luce's chagrin.

You? T-turn down music? I'm surprised, Resa said.

Surprisingly, Fira chimed in. You don't want to spend time with my lady Zelda? he questioned. That is strange, considering all the previous time you spent talking and training.

Zelda grabbed Link's arm, tugging him towards the fire. "Come on, Link, it's four to one! You said you cared about us, after all."

"Hey, I know that's manip... manipulation!" Link managed to spit out the word, narrowing his eyes. In response, he had four sets of gazes boring into him, and his resolve crumbled. "Fine, but can we at least eat first?" he groaned. He wasn't about to miss a meal, even if it was in exchange for music.

"Of course we can," Zelda said triumphantly. They both knew she won, and he was going to let her have that victory.

—~*~—

Flames flashed and sparked as they were continuously eclipsed by the people dancing before them. The air was infected by the powerful but upbeat melody of Din's Power, a tune that had hailed from Eldin. The Sheikah seemed to know every song in Hyrule, though it made sense considering their scouts had been to every corner of the kingdom.

Link couldn't help but tap his foot in time with the driving beat as he listened from the sidelines, muttering the lyrics under his breath. "Rising from the earth, lava you will surf. Through the blaze you'll find, the flame of crimson red..."

"Dance into the flame, cast away your shame. Move in harmony, follow the beat." Link heard Zelda singing as well, though her voice was louder and sounded much better than his, much better. It was actually quite beautiful. She then noticed his staring and looked at him. "What? Can't I sing?"

"Never said ya couldn't," Link replied, shrugging. "But your voice is pretty great. And ya said ya had no other talents."

"I don't consider singing to be one of them," she said. "Did you know that this song's story is about one of the flames that helped forge the Master Sword? Flames of green, blue, and red tempered the blade, and its true power was awoken by the goddess Hylia."

"I didn't, but that's kinda interestin' to know," he said. Said sword was back in their room at Impa's since there really wasn't a need for it then.

Of their group, it was just the two of them that were watching. Luce and Fira were adding more fuel to the fire, and Fira was showing off with some pyrokinesis. Resa had vanished altogether, lost in the crowd. Link could even see Haruo dancing with Paya as the twins supported Impa in an impromptu drinking contest she was holding (and winning).

"I don't know why I want to join in, even if I know I'd just make a fool of myself," Zelda said with a giggle.

Link gazed out at the partying Sheikah for a moment before sighing. He turned to Zelda and held out his hand to her. "C'mon."

Zelda's eyebrows jumped up in surprise as her mouth fell open slightly. "Excuse me?"

"I know ya wanna dance," Link said. "I'm pretty rusty, but I remember some steps my ma taught me. We can swap sides so ya won't halfta use your bad wrist." She didn't move, and Link added, "Hey, I'll be usin' my right side for this, so we'll both be bad. Ya wanted this, didn't ya?"

Zelda recovered from her surprise and gave Link a sly half-smile. "I suppose I need to be a woman of my word, don't I?" She reached out and took Link's hand, and he pulled her closer to the firelight.

"If I remember this right, ya need to put your arm 'round my shoulders and take my hand with the other, and I need to put my other arm like this." He put his free hand around Zelda's waist as she followed his instructions.

Within seconds, Link found himself regretting this as Zelda was almost pressed up against him. He briefly averted eye-contact, trying to gather his thoughts. She'd been close to him before, but never this close.

"I didn't think you'd start with something like this," she said.

Link didn't answer right away as he thought of what he had to do next. "Yeah, but it's the only one I know decently. Ya wanna dance or not?" he hissed.

"Fine, please continue," Zelda said.

"Now watch how I step..." Link took a step to the right, leading with his right foot and following up with his left. Zelda scrambled to match his pace. "I'm gonna move right again, and this time, move with me." He deliberately stepped slowly, waiting for Zelda to move. Though stiffly, she managed it.

"Do I have it right?" she asked.

Link nodded. "Pretty much. But don't be so rigid, move with the steps. It's a dance, not a march." The tone of authority his mother had used when she had taught him unintentionally slipped into his words there. "I'll keep leadin', and ya keep followin'."

One, two, Link and Zelda moved. Three, four, their steps matched the beat. Zelda still remained stiff, but she quickly picked up the pattern. And, repeat. Even when the song changed and the tempo slowed, Zelda adapted to the new speed. The crowd around them seemed to blur and muffle, and all Link could hear was the wild melodies of ancient Hyrule.

As the pair sank deeper into the sound, memories began to return to Link, those of dancing in his youth. He couldn't help but wonder what his parents would think of him if they knew what he was doing now. The bearer of divine magic and a legendary sword, off on a quest with who had once been complete strangers to him... It all sounded so ridiculous. But no, it was really happening.

Something twisted in Link, and he almost stumbled. Had his parents known he was the Holder of Courage? If so, were they waiting to tell him? They could have for all he knew, but he wouldn't know.

"Is everything okay, Link?" Zelda asked. "Your hand is shaking."

Link swallowed the lump forming in his throat, managing to rein in his emotions. Even if his parents were no longer with him, he still had people who knew he was a Holder and cared, not just Luce. Zelda, Resa, Fira... He clenched his jaw, inhaling deeply. Zelda...

"I'm fine, but let's try somethin' else," he said. "Let one hand go, but keep holdin' mine." He then took his hand off her waist and slowly flung her outwards. She stumbled a little but let the movement carry her until they were standing side by side at arm's length, gazing at each other.

"What now?" Zelda said.

At that, Link tilted his head, gesturing for her to come back. "Now we keep goin'," he said once they had returned to their original position. Link began incorporating this move more until Zelda had a good grasp of it. She was a decently fast learner.

The music soon began to pick up as a bright, cheery melody complimented the cheers of the onlookers as listeners. Combined with the reassuring smile Zelda was giving him, Link's spirits were fully lifted from the pit they dwelled in previously. It still astounded him that she not only tried to be nice to him in the first place, but she didn't judge him for what he had done. Before he never thought he could apologize to her for anything, and now those thoughts were far, far away.

As the song began to draw to a close, the last move of the dance popped into Link's mind, and he executed it with the final note of the song: a dip that he wouldn't dare let Zelda fall from. She squealed a bit in shock before her face went bright red, and a laugh burst from Link in response. She pulled away from him the moment he lifted her back up. "You ass, I thought you were going to drop me!" she chastised him, smacking his shoulder.

"Guess I could've warned ya, but that look was priceless!" he said, unable to keep a grin off his face as he continued laughing.

The anger quickly faded from Zelda as she gazed at him with surprise. "That's the first time I heard you genuinely laugh..." A brief smile flashed across her face before she sighed. "Of course it would be at my expense," she said.

Link's expression fell. "Sorry. I kinda thought you'd shake it off."

Zelda nodded sharply. "Yes, and that's what I'm going to do right now." She grabbed Link's hand again. "Come on, let's keep going."

Link was startled but didn't let it stop him from smirking. Even if Zelda didn't think she was brave, she had confidence at the best of times: when they were clashing for whatever reason, ridiculous or serious. This was one of those former times, though the flame that had sprouted in him didn't burn with anger. Misplaced brashness, it was something he'd come to realize he had just as much as Zelda did.

"Then how 'bout ya try leadin' this time, oh Holder of Wisdom?" he asked.

"I'll try my damndest, Courage," Zelda replied. And try, she did. Her steps were hardly coordinated, clumsy as they tried to follow the beat. But Link still was able to keep pace with her, doing his best to compensate for her faults and succeeding.

For a time the two kept dancing, even as exhaustion began to creep up on Link and his breaths grew quick and strained from exertion. The festivities slowly began to calm as some of the Sheikah began to retire for the night. Still, the music continued, and so did Link and Zelda.

After a time, Zelda spoke up again. "Thank you for staying out here tonight, Link," she said.

"Oh, yeah?" he replied sarcastically. "My presence would be missed that much, huh?"

Zelda nodded. "You saw how the others had responded. Yes, it would've been missed," she said. "And even if they didn't care," she hesitated, her gaze falling away briefly before meeting his again, "at least I would have missed it."

Link frowned, confused. "What's that supposed to mean?" It was a dumb question, he realized, but it'd just slipped out. Of course she would miss him, and he would've felt bad about staying in as well. But instead, Zelda gave him a different response.

"I don't know, it's up to you to decide," she said slyly. Link's eyes widened, and he only had a moment to try and process her words before he was again startled by her.

She abruptly pushed Link down into a dip, using herself as a counterweight so they both wouldn't topple over. The fire in Link's chest seemed to rise up to his face as it flushed hot. Zelda's chest was so soft, but he was more drawn to her face, which was startlingly close to his. The firelight painted her skin with shadows and set her hair aflame with a golden sheen. In that moment, she appeared amazingly, dangerously beautiful, and Link's heart began to race.

"Look how the tables have turned," she said, grinning at Link's shocked face. Although her expression was mischievous, her cheeks were as red as Link's.

Link momentarily choked on his reply before he got it out. "Ya got lucky with that," he said as Zelda pulled him back up. Their gazes were locked, each waiting for the other to say something. With the fire still burning strongly within Link, a spark of bravado caught and blazed brightly. "And I'd like to see ya get lucky like that again," he then added.

"It's not luck if you're expecting it to happen," Zelda said, arching a brow. "You need to let your guard down again."

Link smirked, shaking his head. "I think my guard's been lowered enough already."

"And I'm glad that it has been," Zelda replied.

A nervous chuckle escaped Link as he realized the irony in all of this. Well, it was too late to take it all back now, and he frankly didn't want to. "Me too, Zelda."

"Zel," Zelda corrected.

Link was confused. "Huh?"

"The people I care for most have always called me by nicknames," Zelda clarified. "To my brother, I was Zellie, my father called me Zel-bell, and for my sister, I was Zel." She gave him a cautious smile. "I don't think she would mind sharing that nickname with you, if you're fine with that."

"N-no, I don't mind... Zel." It was so easy, so simple. A simple name belonging to a simple girl. But no, she wasn't simple, she was so much more, and that was putting aside her status as a Holder and an heiress. Link wrapped his arms around her, embracing her like how she had done with him. "Thanks, Zel."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.7K 123 54
The land of Hyrule has been famous in legends throughout the land. From the skyward lands to the ancient floods of the Great Sea to the glowing ember...
5.5K 400 29
While legends come to us from distant past, others have yet to be written. What happens when Zelda, the heroine reborn, finds herself in the ruined...
11.2K 296 45
On a journey to save his sister, a boy is caught in a struggle older than the great sea. ====== One thousand years ago, the greatest hero of all Time...
6.1K 138 11
Courage Wisdom Power These three represent the three pieces of an ancient and powerful treasure left behind by the gods Din, Farore and Nayru. The Tr...