digital heart | minsung | โœ”

By hyunjintoxicated

Overly excited. That's what Han Jisung was when he laid his hands on a brand-new, groundbreaking virtual real... More

prologue
01
02
03
04
05
06
07
08
09
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24 [bonus]
25
26
27
28
29
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
59

30

4.8K 414 567
By hyunjintoxicated

After a lot of teasing, bags and suitcases, and stress, Saturday has finally rolled by.

Even though it isn't midnight yet, I'm already online. I find myself on a bench on the familiar plaza of Nox, my cloak snugly wrapped around me. Now that the sun is absent, it's rather chilly outside and it only took a minute for the chills to run down my spine.

The only body part poking out is my hand, that I use to scroll through my inventory frantically. I don't specifically know what I'm hoping to find there between all the pointless items, but maybe there's some long-forgotten clothing item or random accessories to freshen up my appearance a little bit because I want to look remotely decent for our date.

Even after ten minutes of searching, I find nothing and I close the menu with a huff. Maybe I should just leave it like this. I mean, he did mention that he likes the way I look. So I just settle with hastily raking my hands through my hair in order to fix it a little, a gesture I'm repeating for the umpteenth time already.

Though you can't see the time anywhere online, I know it's getting closer and closer to midnight. The idea that Lino can appear any moment makes my heart significantly beat faster. Not only because I haven't seen him in a week but also because I'm curious to find out what he has in mind for tonight. Midnight is an interesting time of the day and honestly, a fairly unusual time to meet up, which only makes me wonder more and more why he wanted to meet up with me.

Minutes go by tauntingly slow and I rest my chin on my hands as I stare into the distance lazily, wondering what will show up sooner; Lino or the end of my not-so-copious patience. My legs wiggle impatiently and I heave out a sigh. Sitting still and doing nothing has never been something I'm good at and I might regret going online so early.

I'm about to give in to the self-pity when a small burst of light appears, accompanied by a whirlwind of tiny particles that shimmer in the dark streets. My heart jumps in my chest as I look at the sea of light in anticipation, smiling when surely, Lino's figure appears.

He looks ethereal, surrounded by the light that slowly disappears into the night sky. But even then, the pale moonlight still casts a soft and otherworldly light on his features, making his soft smile even more beautiful than it already is. Everything about him seems to shimmer, from his raven-black hair to the gems adorning his fingers, the small dent between his collarbone and his ears. It's his eyes that leave me breathless for a moment, as they seem to carry more light than all the stars above.

"Cat got your tongue?" 

Lino's words snap me back to reality and I blink a few times. "Nah, just admiring the way you look," I quickly reply, attempting to hide the fact how much his appearance affects me. I already know he's freaking gorgeous, there's no need for me to freak out every time I see him.

And let's be fair, what I said is the plain truth.

"Thank you," the raven-haired chuckles, his eyes quickly skimming over me before meeting mine again. "You look amazing as well, but I knew that ever since we met."

"You're such a big flirt," I scoff, looking away to hide the smile that ghosts over my face.

"You love it," Lino counters, his tone giving away that he's smiling as much as I am. 

"Yeah, I do," I reply without hesitation, keeping my eyes on the pavement to avoid looking at him.

The other just chuckles softly and a short silence follows, in which we both appreciate the fact that we're together again. I really feel the urge to hug him, or maybe even to kiss him again, but I have no idea what Lino's plan is so I wait for him to speak up again, a little impatient. 

Suddenly, Lino grabs my hand, squeezing it lightly. My heart performs a somersault when I look up, only to find him looking at me with a fond smile. I feel how I'm losing myself in his beautiful eyes again and I know I'm falling for him more and more, right here on the spot.

"Are you sure you don't have connection issues?" the boy questions, but the teasing tone of his voice gives away that he knows fully well what the real reason behind my little zone-out moments is.

"I'll just check my headgear later," I mutter dismissively, to which Lino just snorts.

"I hope it helps," he replies, not sounding too sincere. But he drops the subject, though the hint of a smirk remains on his face. Then he opens his menu and quickly takes out what he needs; a shiny blue teleport crystal. It firmly lands in his hand, and with his other hand, he grabs mine.

The same instant, I'm pulled into a tunnel of light and the city of Nox is far behind me. A blink of an eye later, my feet touch the pavement again. I glance around, immediately recognizing my new surroundings as Ninyo, the city that shimmers in the sunlight.

Right now, it's bathing in the pale moonlight, and it still looks as stunning as ever.

"H-How did you-" I ask, staring at our connected hands in confusion. I'm pretty sure he only had one teleport crystal at hand and yet here we are, both of us standing in the white city of Ninyo.

"Once you unlock the magic skill, you can take people with you using only one crystal," Lino explains, making no efforts of letting go of my hand already. "Pretty convenient, huh?" 

I nod in agreement before taking a curious look around the city. I can't help but wonder what Lino has in mind for our date, and why he wanted me to come online after midnight specifically. I mean, it sure is beautiful and all, but tomorrow is moving day and I don't want to walk around like a zombie while dragging my stuff into my new dorm room.

"Hey, get Twilight out of your inventory," Lino gently orders, finally letting go of my hand. It drops by my side immediately, feeling cold from the moment he let go. I pout a little but obey immediately, opening my inventory and selecting my horse.

A moment later, she appears next to me, the same moment Valkyrie appears next to Lino.

"Where are we going?" I question curiously, carefully mounting my horse.

"We're going on a peaceful ride through the moonlit fields," the raven-haired announces, already seated on his black horse comfortably. "There's this really special place in Parallel hardly anyone knows about, and I really wanted to take you there. But somehow, I feel like a chill ride through the fields would fit well. It's okay if you don't-"

"I think so too," I interrupt the other, giving him a warm smile as I urge Twilight to step forward. "Lead the way, Lino."

I don't have to tell him twice; with a smile, he sends Kiri past me and leads me to the West exit of Ninyo. The sound of hoofbeats bouncing off the walls is soon replaced by the wind that rustles through the tall grass as we enter the lush fields surrounding the white city. Small animals and fireflies skitter away here and there as we make our way under the moonlight.

The midnight sky is even more stunning as I expected it to be, the vast darkness proving itself to be the perfect canvas for maybe the most breathtaking sight in Parallel. Bright stars are scattered everywhere, forming giant constellations everywhere. The light that radiates off the stars illuminates the fluffy clouds that drift through the sky lazily, warping capricious shadows over the surface. But it's the two moons that proudly occupy their place in the sky that stand out the most.

The two moons of Parallel. Their power is enough to light up even the darkest nights, the pale light making the mysterious world even more fairytale-like. Both spheres are the same size, arranged between the stars perfectly next to each other. Their proximity to Parallel allows you to see them in full detail, from the small specks of different colors to ancient patterns crawling over the surface.

"Hey, can I hold your hand?" Lino suddenly questions, shaking me from my thoughts. He steers Valkyrie right next to Twilight and holds out his hand invitingly, his sparkling eyes finding mine.

Twilight doesn't seem to mind the other horse, despite their bodies being so close to each other that my leg brushes against Lino's leg occasionally. Taking that as reassurance that our horses won't freak out or get annoyed by each other, I take the reins in one hand and place my other in Lino's, who squeezes it lightly with a soft smile.

"The moons look nice tonight," the raven-haired boy comments, staring up at the night sky.

"Everything looks nice tonight," I reply, taking my time to look at the surroundings before my eyes land on the boy next to me again. "Including you."

A breathy laugh escapes Lino's lips and his eyes meet mine.

"Okay, that got me a bit flustered," he admits with a blissful grin. "Thank you."

I smile to myself, the entire atmosphere that surrounds us putting me in the best mood I've been in for a while. Valkyrie and Twilight walk side-by-side next to each other, completely relaxed and reins loose. Our hands are intertwined still, gently swaying back and forth with the rhythm of our horses' steps. While Lino's hands are warm, the steel of his many rings that adorn his is cool against my skin, and my thumb mindlessly travels over the many gemstones in them.

"Did you know there is a whole legend revolving around the two moons of Parallel?" Lino softly speaks up after a while. I hum a little, signaling him to continue his story. "They are called Noras and Laras and apparently, they both fell in love with the sun, Novas. But the purpose of their existence kept them apart, only allowing them to see each other from afar. It broke the moons apart, and the world fell into a long darkness, with the balance between day and night disrupted greatly."

Then, he lets out an awkward chuckle. "But I think they made up, because look at them now."

I glance up at the moons, shaking my head in amusement. "That started off really deep but the ending was a bit of an anticlimax."

Lino grinned sheepishly. "Yeah, I don't know the entire story yet. I'm only halfway through the mission."

"Well, keep me updated," I joke.

We ride in silence for a little while, until a formation of rocks suddenly appears on the horizon. They don't stand out in any way, but Lino still leads us straight towards them, excitement visible on his face.

"This is it," he proudly announces once we come to a halt in front of the rocks. "We have to get off our horses here."

With great aversion, I let go of Lino's hand and swiftly get off Twilight. Then I call her back to my inventory, and Lino does the same with Valkyrie.

I glance around curiously, trying to find out what the special place Lino mentioned could be. There's nothing here that really stands out, and it confuses me a little.

"Have you ever heard of the Luminous Pass?" the raven-haired boy asks, approaching the largest rock of them all.

"No," I reply, as the name doesn't ring any bell.

"It's a really special hidden place, not even visible on the most advanced maps of Parallel," Lino explains, smiling excitedly. "That's why I really wanted to take you there."

My heart does a backflip upon hearing his words, swelling in happiness. With probably a stupid and giddy grin on my face, I watch how the boy places his hand on the biggest rock, furrowing his brows.

The entire rock lights up when jolts of energy surge through his arm, spreading to the smaller rocks surrounding it. Different blue runes dance over the rocky surface, leaving a bright light in their wake. It dies down as quickly as it started, until only one rock remains ablaze. Lino takes a step back, panting heavily but with a satisfied expression on his features.

"Now we can enter," he breathes out. "After you, Jay."

A little unsure, I stare at the blue light in front of me, which apparently serves as an entrance to whatever lies beyond. I reach out my hand slowly, and the magical surface feels surprisingly pleasant under my fingertips. Cool yet warm, and buzzing with energy. It washed all the hesitation away and with my eyes closed, I step forward.

When I open my eyes again, I swallow thickly before my mouth just falls open in sheer disbelief. Forget what I said earlier, about the midnight sky being the most breathtaking sight in Parallel. What lies before me is even more beautiful, to a point where it renders me speechless.

It's almost as if we entered a whole different universe, one that looks nothing like anything I've seen before. While the sky is the deepest shade of blue without too many stars, there's plenty that makes up for all the lost light. I don't even know where I should start to comprehend this place, too awestruck to form proper sentences in my mind.

It all starts with the grass I'm standing on, that gives off a soft turquoise hue that spreads over the fields as far as I can see. The ancient tree trunks that stand strong and tall are grown over with moss that radiates off different colors, going from the same turquoise as the grass to oranges and purples. Countless flowers are scattered everywhere, whether they're poking from between the tall grass or growing in the tall trees and bushes. All of them are shaped differently, colored differently, but they all seem to emit the same light that wraps their close surroundings in the most mysterious atmospheres. There's a lake in the distance, that proudly reflects all the lights and colors of this mysterious part of Parallel. Small groups of waterlilies float here and there, giving off the purest white light. Tons of lightning bugs whirl through the sky, performing their brightest dances. The more I glance around, the more I see and the more overwhelmed I become. There really isn't a dark spot to be found.

The moons and the stars might be gone, but the illuminated nature makes up for that.

Suddenly, a pair of arms wrap around me from behind, and Lino rests his chin on my shoulder with a soft chuckle. 

"Isn't it beautiful here?" he asks, but it's obvious that he already knows the answer to that.

"It really is," I reply breathlessly, my eyes still wandering over the place. I unconsciously lean a little into the other's chest, an intense feeling of warmth coming over me. This place is otherworldly and gorgeous, and the fact that Lino really wanted to take me here makes me feel all giddy on the inside. "Thank you for taking me here."

"This isn't all, we have to walk for a little," the raven-haired announces, his breath tickling my ear before he removes his chin from my shoulder. "But I'm sure you don't mind, right?"

I lightly shake my head, still too dazed and distracted to focus all my attention on the boy next to me. I flinch a little when his fingers lace through mine for the third time tonight, the sudden gesture startling me before I relax and relish the feeling of his warm hand in mine. Just like that, we start walking, silence dragging on between us. But that's okay; the symphony of nature is there to keep us company. All the time, I keep looking around longingly, much to Lino's amusement. Every time my eyes meet his, he smiles brightly, and I can see that he's more than happy that he took me here.

I notice more and more small details the longer we walk, from the tiny radiant purple mushrooms that shyly grow next to the giant trees to the luminous fish that swim in the lake. There's no end to all the new impressions.

Lino takes me out of the woods, and I find us walking up a small hill in a clearing. The turquoise grass stands even taller here, swaying back and forth softly in the warm evening breeze. Once we're on top, he sinks to the ground, pulling me down with him. I land next to him with a small yelp and we both giggle while making ourselves comfortable on our newfound spot.

As I glance over my shoulder, I can see the glowing forest behind us, still looking as beautiful even from afar. Even the leaves that grow from the tips of the largest trees give off a soft light, their color ranging from green to blue and purple.

"I want to tell you something," Lino suddenly speaks up, his solemn brown eyes meeting mine. Thousands of colorful lights seem to reflect in his eyes, and I have to fight the urge to gasp audibly over the beauty of this boy in front of me,

"Hmm?" I respond, not trusting my voice enough to reply using words.

The raven-haired boy looks away for a second, his fingers fidgeting with the hem of his tunic. A short silence drags between us, only filled with the sound of crickets singing their midnight song. But then the boy takes a deep breath, and his eyes search mine again.

"My name is Minho."

My eyes widen slightly, not expecting that at all. I feel how my heart skips a beat, and another one, before it's hammering in my ribcage frantically. That's the impact this boy has on me. Minho is doing things to my heart.

Minho.

"I... I like your name," I blurt out, immediately wanting to bury myself in shame. That was possibly the lamest thing to say, and I chose to say it in a -kind of- important situation like this.

"Thanks, I got it for my birthday," Lino, or Minho, replies as awkwardly as I feel. He, too, is looking everywhere but at me and the peaceful atmosphere that hung between us seems to diminish more with every second that passes.

Chill, he just told you his name, I mentally scold myself.

Forcing the awkwardness to glide off me, I reach out to grab his hand and shake it lightly, grinning widely.

"Nice to meet you, Minho. I'm Jisung."

"Jisung, huh?" Minho repeats, and the confidence returns to his features as he looks at me with a grin. "At least I know the name of the boy I'm kissing now."

He gently cups my face with his hands, the cool metal of his rings resting against my hot skin. My heart beats in anticipation of what definitely will come, and I allow my hands to rest on his shoulders.

"That kind of makes things better," I agree.

Minho chuckles softly before pressing his lips against mine in the most gentle way possible. I feel the butterflies racing through my stomach and the feeling of bliss surges through my veins as I return the kiss without a moment of hesitation.

Way too soon for my liking, he pulls back, looking at me with a sweet smile.

"You like it when I kiss you, don't you, Jisung?" he asks, and I nearly melt on spot. I never knew I needed to hear him saying my name, but now I want to hear it over and over again. Somehow, his voice makes it sound like the prettiest name on Earth.

"I do," I truthfully reply, leaning forward to press my forehead against his in order to steal another kiss soon. "But then again, I like you in general, Minho."

Minho smiles warmly before he kisses me again, his hands still cupping my cheeks. After that one kiss, he showers my face in little kisses, and I swear I'm on cloud nine at this point. But as time passes by, the feeling of being tired gradually catches up with both of us and we lay down in the soft grass, staring up at the deep blue midnight sky with our hands linked together.

There's a falling star, and I close my eyes to make a wish.

I hope I'll meet you in real life soon, Minho.

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

I'm getting a lot of positive comments and they make me so happy, thank you guys 🥺

So here is an extra-long chapter hehe (3500 words, oops?)

I've seen a lot of comments about Hyunjin, Jeongin and Woojin. They won't make an appearance in this story. But remember what I said about the second story in this universe 👀

( I want to spoil things sO bad help)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.4K 306 24
Han Jisung, a gullible but not so dumb, innocent looking boy finds himself at a new high school after leaving his previous one due to bullies. It's...
289K 12.2K 63
25-year-old Han Jisung has been looking for his big break in the tech industry since the day he graduated with his Master's degree. Meanwhile, 27-yea...
304K 20.8K 103
BLACK LIVES MATTER ~#~#~#~#~#~ "๐•Ž๐•– ๐•จ๐•–๐•ฃ๐•– ๐••๐•–๐•ค๐•ฅ๐•š๐•Ÿ๐•–๐•• ๐•ฅ๐•  ๐•ž๐•–๐•–๐•ฅ, ๐•จ๐•– ๐•จ๐•–๐•ฃ๐•– ๐••๐•–๐•ค๐•ฅ๐•š๐•Ÿ๐•–๐•• ๐•ฅ๐•  ๐•๐• ๐•ง๐•–... ๐•’๐•Ÿ๐•• ๐•จ๐•– ๐•จ๐•–๐•ฃ๐•– ๐••...
11.9K 415 32
Han Jisung never believed that he could find one and only true love. He never knew how it felt. But, than he met one beautiful boy named Minho. โ€ข He...