Shooting Stars [ENG]

By larsnt

!!!HIATUS!!! Calm professor Shen Wei and exuberant chief detective Zhao Yunlan couldn't be more different, bu... More

Prologue
I. The rebel detective
II. The gentle professor
III. Questions & Answers (I)
IV - Questions & Answers (II)
V - Questions & Answers (III)
VI - Questions & Answers (IV)
VII - Winds of change (I)
VIII - Winds of change (II)
IX - Winds of change (III)
Post-It
X - All grown-ups were once children... (I)
XI - All grown-ups were once children... (II)
XII - All grown-ups were once children... (III)
Post-It
XIII - All grown-ups were once children... (IV)
XIV - All grown-ups were once children... (V)
XV - All grown-ups were once children... (VI)
XVI - All grown-ups were once children... (VII)
Post-It
Post-It
XVII - A prince without a crown (I)
XVIII - A prince without a crown (II)
Post-It
XIX - A prince without a crown (III)
XXI - A prince without a crown (V)
XXII - A prince without a crown (VI)
XXIII - A prince without a crown (VII)
Post-It
XXIV - What is essential is invisible to the eye (I)
XXV - What is essential is invisible to the eye (II)
XXVI - What is essential is invisible to the eye (III)
XXVII - What is essential is invisible to the eye (IV)
XXVIII - What is essential is invisible to the eye (V)
XXIX - What is essential is invisible to the eye (VI)
XXX - What is essential is invisible to the eye (VII)
Post-It
XXXI - What is essential is invisible to the eye (VIII)
Post-It
XXXII - What is essential is invisible to the eye (IX)
XXXIII - What is essential is invisible to the eye (X)
Post-It
XXXIV - Turning Point (I)
Announcement!
Announcement!

XX - A prince without a crown (IV)

654 34 5
By larsnt

  Vanilla, chocolate, melon, lemon, ginger, ginseng, green tea, something disturbingly blue-ish... Good that Da Qing wasn't interested in "that children stuff", otherwise his desperate attempt to see beyond the people waiting for ice cream, while snorting impatiently, it'd have been very strange... It seemed he hadn't eaten ice cream for years. Or it was actually his favourite thing. When Da Qing was finally able to get his giant scoop of ice cream in cup, he was about to exult, but crossing Zhao's eyes he immediately pretended nothing, making the other laugh.

- Manly. -

  Da Qing was about to express himself in a colorful way, but he simply decided to ignore Zhao, preceding him towards the green area adjacent the ice-cream parlour where they stopped and taking a seat on an empty bench. Zhao immediately imitated him, sprawling comfortably, his head back and releasing a sigh of relaxation. Luckily it was still early and there were no children around, otherwise, with that beautiful day, the amount of voices would have put a strain on the patience of both. But at least there was a bit of movement: on the way in the car, the only sound between chief and his apprentice, was the cheerful whistling of the first, as he was looking out the window, since that "car" didn't even have a radio and Da Qing didn't seem to be in mood to chat. - Actually, Zhao was whistling also to distract himself from the constant jolts that was hitting that metal box, because it made him anxious, as if he feared they could lose a wheel in any moment. - How could a youngster like Da Qing not have a radio in his car?? How could he be happy to drive such a car, in first place?? At that age, didn't youngsters want to show off with friends? He wasn't normal. Every now and then Zhao glanced at Da Qing and smiled amused at his highly concentrated expression, while keeping his gaze fixed on the road, probably to avoid anything that could ruin that dated jewel. Zhao thought Da Qing needed a jolt of life. There was a pleasant breeze that made Zhao relax and yawn. It'd have been hard to recover from that forced early awakening...

- Oh look, isn't it your dear professor? -

... or maybe not! With another yawn, Zhao straightened his head and looked in the direction indicated by Da Qing, remaining pleasantly surprised to find Professor Shen in his view from across the street. Zhao seemed to wake up. What was Shen doing there at that hour? He was also in company and even looked pretty loose, that was strange.

- Don't you go and say hi? -

- Mind your own business! Can't you see he's busy? I'll see him tomorrow anyway: three consecutive days would be too much. -

  Amused grin.

- He doesn't want you around, huh? -

  Zhao would have liked to punch that annoying flea in the face, but it wouldn't have been decent - they could also have reported him for minor injuries, since Da Qing didn't seem at all twenty-one years old - so, the only thing that occurred to Zhao was to stick a finger in the inviting ice cream just to annoy the ball and chain, who gave him a deathstare.

- Everyone loves me. All right, wanker, watch and learn! -

  Now he also had to teach the basics to a boy, Zhao thought annoyed, while with hands buried in pockets he crossed the street to reach professor and the stranger. He didn't know why he was doing it, but he had never seen professor chattering with that fluency with someone, he really wanted to know what was going on.

- Professor Shen! Not seen for a while, huh. Did I interrupt something? -

  Speaking of the devil and he appears, Shen thought, as soon as he heard detective's cheerful voice behind him. Why was he always in the way?? To be honest, it annoyed Shen that that insistent one had popped up right in that moment. Zhao was already known to him for asking too many questions and finding Shen in company of an old friend, Zhao would only raise a fuss in his curious little head. Turning to face the usual radiant face, Shen could only think of one thing: "Give me a break!"

- Too late... He's Ma Ning, an old acquaintance of mine. -

- Oh, my precursor! It's a real pleasure to meet you. Let's be informal, shall we? -

  Ning was taken aback by the arrival of that strange individual, especially in seeing how confident young man turned to his old friend, who knew had always been reluctant to certain things. He shifted his gaze to Shen and then back to Zhao, feeling a little uncomfortable. Ning hesitated from shaking hands, above all because he didn't understand Zhao's joke, but it would have been rude to stay still, so Ning could do nothing but respond to greeting.

- Precursor? -

- Shen Wei's first friend ever. Off the record, I think we're the only human beings who have ever managed to approach this wild creature, we should get a medal. And you, being the first ever, you're basically a hero! -

  Did he really say it? Shameless! That speech was so embarrassing Shen barely rested from answering in kind. Had they been alone, he would have done it, but in Ning's presence Shen couldn't and it irritated him. He tried not to think about it.

- Don't listen to him. He's Zhao Yun Lan and we're just simple acquaintances. -

- He does this all the time. -

  At that point, Shen gave him a rather eloquent look, but Zhao didn't notice, because professor's old friend spoke to him, rather hesitantly. Ning continued to look tense, even more than before. Shen didn't remember Ning ever had trouble making new encounters, in fact, now that he thought about it, Ning reminded him of chief detective, always saying what he really felt out of the side of his mouth. But evidently time changed him too.

- Zhao Yunlan? You are... -

  Here we go again! It wasn't really his day, Zhao thought, looking away for a moment. Shen glanced at him secretly: he should have imagined Ning would ask the same question everyone was asking, but since Zhao didn't even have to be there, Shen couldn't divert the conversation in time. Fortunately, detective acted like nothing happened.

- The one and only! But let's not talk about me. Why don't we go and get a beer, so you can tell me some of our professor's secrets?! -

- Don't make him uncomfortable, he doesn't know you. -

- That's what beer is for! -

- You have nothing better to do? -

  The scene in front of him was something completely new to Ning. The small squabble and the exchange of defiant glances and veiled threats made him smile. He didn't remember ever seeing Shen behave that way, maybe just with him, but the attitude was still different. Ning looked at Zhao for a moment, as if trying to understand something: Zhao was a bizarre type, he didn't look like a team leader at all; to be honest, he didn't even look like a policeman, but even if Ning didn't know him personally, something in Zhao made him uncomfortable. Shen noticed Ning lingering on detective's figure, as if he had a very specific image in mind, to which he was devoting his attention. Ning felt observed and crossing his gaze with professor, he lowered his eyes for a moment. Shen squeezed his own for a moment, as if trying to focus on the reason for that strange behavior.

- A beer would be a blast right now, but unfortunately I've a commitment, so... -

- Next time, than! Professor Shen has your number, right? -

- No and he's not forced to give it to me. -

- Oh no, no problem! -

  Ning seemed to recover suddenly: Zhao found himself with the pile of colored folders in his hand and glanced almost amused at Shen, who looked puzzled at Ning, as Ning searched for his business card in all possible pockets, with some curses. In the end, respective business cards were exchanged, Ning recovered his files without really thanking Zhao for the effort and he smiled at Shen.

- Now I really have to go. It was a pleasure to see you again, Wei. -

- Me too. -

  That sudden change in attitude was a bit strange, but professor wasn't too surprised: he thought he saw the authentic Ma Ning again and to be called by first name after all those years, it made him very pleased. Shen smiled amused when he saw Ning wave his hand across the street and risking to drop the paperwork in his hand again. A rather suspicious behavior regarding Zhao, who was watching Ning, while waving his hand towards him, before Ning disappeared around the corner. That guy seemed to have a strange ascendancy over professor and for some reason, Zhao their confidence was a little annoying.

- Wei... -

- It's Shen Wei for you! -

  What- How could he change so much so easily? Did he have a built-in switch? He didn't even give Zhao time to finish the sentence! Not that there was anything else, but... So strange. Zhao curled his mouth to one side, put hands in pockets and tilted his torso slightly forward to look at Shen from the bottom up with a mischievous expression.

- Not fair, do you have preferences? -

  That abrupt turn around and Shen's eyes on him, without saying a word, gave Zhao quite a scare. He straightened up in no time and took a step back, for safety. That raised eyebrow in a dominant expression was not good. Why did Shen keep staring at him?? Zhao didn't like it when Shen stared at him, it intimidated him. How could a person have such power over someone with a single glance?? Zhao's lips stretched into what wanted to be a bold smile, but it only turned into a slightly terrified grimace.

- What happened? -

  That tone of voice made Zhao's hair stand on the back of his neck and a bewildered look was painted on his face. Without looking away, Shen pointed to Zhao's left arm. Zhao had almost forgotten the incident at the bay. He could finally catch a breath and he got the chance to change the atmosphere. He beamed.

- Ah, battle wounds! You'll hear about it on the news. But I could kick a former academy buddy and it's been a thin slice of heaven! Although the atmosphere was ruined by the fact that I had to leave my precious motorcycle in Chu's custody and come here with Uncle Li's clunker, the midget as the driver, by the way. It's humiliating! -

- Pleased to hear it. I have to go to school. If you'll excuse me... -

  How kind...

- Hey, wait! At what time should I come tomorrow? Me going around with a taxi, tsk! -

- I finish at 4pm. Not a minute before, not a minute later. Stay out! -

- Yes, sir! -

  Pandering. It was the best thing to do. Zhao would like to avoid another professor's glance, he always had time to mind Shen's business, asking him who that Ma Ning was that Shen seemed to find so nice and funny. What's he got better than Zhao? Zhao cracked his tongue and scratching the back of his neck, going back to an amused Da Qing.

- Watch and learn how to be dumped! -

- He didn't dump me, he has to go to class, of course. -

- Yeah, sure. That guy really has the patience of a saint. Or he's very stupid. -

- Hey, be respectful to those you don't know! Let's go. -

- - -

Ma Ning (Kevin Kam-Yin Chu)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13.2K 557 14
Zhao Yunlan the detective and Shen Wei the immortal are back in this short and simple story. My immortal Shen Wei is heavily influenced by Twilight...
48.4K 2.2K 27
The story is about revenge and love that emerge between a very rich businessman, the heir of one of the biggest investment companies in the country a...
S.I.D. By jikotakuhaibin

General Fiction

34.1K 1.4K 28
The SID are back again, only this time they serve justice to the evil in their own way. * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *...
11.7K 758 12
The first time they met, Wei didn't know him, but Yunlan did, because Fate had seen what was going to happen and didn't like it, so she gave Yunlan a...