From Cradle to the Grave

By _fallen_____angel__

For 8 year old Jasmine, 18 year old Chris was her superman. There was nothing more than she liked than spendi... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Author's Note
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Epilogue
Author's Note
Q/A
New Book
New Covers(and an important Author's Note)
Author's Note

Chapter 17

36.7K 1.1K 233
By _fallen_____angel__

Chris's POV

"She doesn't know."

I was brought out of my reverie by Andrew's words.

"What does she not know?" I asked slowly.

"She doesn't know Hunter is my step brother. When Hunter got arrested and was sent to juvie school, I was in California. I returned only last year, and I met her. I didn't know she was the girl Hunter got arrested for. When she narrated her story and mentioned his name, I felt so guilty because I felt I owed it to her. I owed something to her. I wanted to tell her the truth but I didn't know how she was going to react. She needed help at that time, and I was pretty sure I could help her. So I didn't tell her about my relationship with Hunter. If she knew, she would stop coming to me. I can't afford having that because she's still not completely over the situation. It's going to take time. But she's progressing and that's good."

I didn't know what to say. The revelation left me shook to the core. I felt angry with myself. I had promised her I would always protect her no matter what. I failed to do so.

"Aarghh!!" I shouted and got up, sending the chair flying backwards. Andrew's eyes widened but I was not done yet.

I went towards my table and in a swift, everything on it was on the floor. I was out of control. I picked up the chair and smashed it on top of the glass table, successfully breaking it. But my anger didn't subside.

I closed my eyes and taking deep breaths, thought of Jasmine. Her sweet innocent face hovered in my mind. Her hazel eyes which are always filled with so much warmth and kindness, now filled with fear. I growled and opening my eyes, picked up my fallen laptop from the ground and smashed it on the opposite wall.

I was a beast people wouldn't want to deal with right now.

"Chris."

Andrew's voice further angered me and I turned towards him. I picked him by the collar and pushed him into the wall.

"Listen to me Andrew. I don't give a fuck if that scumbag is your brother. If he comes anywhere near her, I'll make it my personal mission to torture him to death. If I ever lay my hands on that fucktard, he's a dead man." I growled in a low dangerous voice.

Andrew looked at me with calm eyes. That angered me more.

"What?!!" I barked.

"Why do you think I'm here dude? I don't want him anywhere near her either. He finished juvie school and his restraining order is lifted. I came here to consult my lawyer to talk about that." He said.

"Who's your lawyer?" I asked.

"Robert O'Malley."

"The case is mine now. Tell Robert you're giving me this case." I told him in a way that leaves no room for argument.

"But-" Andrew stopped once he saw the determination and anger in my eyes.

He sighed. He didn't look too happy but he knew he didn't have any other choice. He nodded his head.

"I'll let Robert know."

"Good." I said and released him.

I went back and picking up the chair sat on it.

"Hunter wasn't the only one though."

I growled. "Who else?"

"His entire group of friends. Especially his girlfriend. She was second in charge after Hunter. Bailey made Jasmine's life hell along with her boyfriend and friends. It was cruel man."

I closed my eyes and focussed on my breathing. I wanted to kill all of them. I hated myself for not being there to save her. If only I could.

Andrew sensed my discomfort and said, "Don't blame yourself Chris. It's not your fault. You couldn't have done anything."

"I promised her I would protect her. I couldn't." My voice broke at the end.

There was a moment of silence.

"You can still do your part. You can still protect her. You got the case now. Make sure she gets justice." Andrew spoke softly after sometime.

I asked the one question that was plaguing me since he made the revelation.

"What actually brought everything to light? Did she go to the police? Or tell her parents?"

Andrew hesitated to reply. "I'm sorry dude but I can't tell you that part. It's her story to tell."

I exhaled, beyond exasperated now. "Okay. I'll find this out on my own. She's my responsibility now. I'll do anything for her."

Andrew smiled for the first time since the start of our conversation. "I believe you. I don't doubt your love for her."

I nodded and looked out the window.

I'll protect you with my life Princess.

Jasmine's POV

"Sooo......"

I looked at Meghan as she drawled out, wiggling her eyebrows.

"What?" I asked, raising an eyebrow of my own.

"Who's the guy?"

I spluttered and coughed out the water I was drinking. We were sitting on the floor at the back of the bookstore, clearing out the old books. Her sudden question left me blushing not only due to the water along the wrong pipe though.

"What?!" I asked, blushing and trying to avoid eye contact with her.

"Oh please! I know you. You don't just act all dreamy and smiley and 'lost in my own world' without any reason. You don't always keep looking at the picture of Hazel and Augustus on the front cover of Fault in our Stars and smile. There's definitely a guy."

I blushed profusely. I didn't know I was that readable. I dropped the John Green book from my hands and turned it to cover Hazel and Augustus's faces. Turning back to Meghan, I said, "There's no one."

She gave me a 'bitch please' look and I sighed.

"It's my neighbour. Chris."

She squealed and clapped her hands. "Tell me everything!"

"There's nothing much to say. It's just that, whenever he's around, I feel my heart skipping beats randomly and fluttering at everything he does. His smile catches my breath and those eyes! I love those eyes. He cares for me and always helps me with everything. He's so sweet and kind I just can't help but crush on him. I feel safe and protected near him." I said dreamily.

Meghan squealed again. "Wow!! I definitely want to meet this guy. When are you bringing him here?" She asked.

"I can't. He doesn't know I like him." I said sadly.

"Why? Tell him girl. He can't reject a girl like you." She said furrowing her eyebrows.

"I can't Meghan." I said, wanting to end the discussion.

"But why?"

"Because he's ten yours older than me!" I shouted.

Meghan's eyes widened and her mouth formed an 'o'.

"He used to be my babysitter. How sick is it that I fell for my babysitter?" I said and buried my face in my hands.

Meghan didn't say anything for a while but then spoke up, "I don't think there's anything wrong in that. Yeah he's older than you. So what? Age is just a number. You like him, Jas. If he can make you smile and feel loved and cared for, then who cares how old or young he is? Go for it."

Her words were comforting enough but I knew myself. I knew my past. There's no chance Chris would go for a girl like me. He cares for me, no doubt. But I know he thinks of me as a sister. And that shit hurts.

"Okay." I said, not wanting to argue with Meghan.

We piled up the books and soon we were done. I finished the other works assigned to me for the day and finished everything by 4PM.

"I should be heading home. See you later Meghan!" I said and went out.

I walked home and reached within 15 minutes. I saw a car parked outside my house and frowned. Who could that be?

I went inside and saw Andrew and Robert sitting in the living room with my parents. The hair on my skin stood  up. This wasn't good.

They still hadn't seen me and their next words froze me to death.

"Hunter is out of juvie school. And his restraining order is lifted."

The next thing I knew was falling backwards and someone shouting my name.

And then everything turned black.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

379K 9.1K 65
Evelyn already lost her mother; how could it get any worse? At least that's what she thought. She's forced to move in with her estranged father where...
468 49 13
!! RESUMED !! Story of two best friends and growing together with each other. Them falling for each other with time. Situations made them get married...
10.9M 241K 66
#2 In Romance |May 1,2019| #1 In Teen Fiction |May 18,2019| ONLY AND ORIGINAL BOOK!!!! "What are we going to tell your brother?" He says, his breath...
15K 1.1K 28
This is not a love story... He doesn't believe in love. Or forever. Or soulmates or any of that shit. She believes in love. She just believes it wi...