Somebody To Love -{ English V...

By msmayharold

Julia Quinn, at the age of 22, after fleeing a forced engagement in Scotland, ended up in London in 1977. Sh... More

Prologue
2 - Mr Pluto
3 - The Nap of the Cats
4 - Something
5 - He Does Not Bite
6 - FANDABBYDOSY
7 - You Take My Breath Away
8 - A Dance With Her
9 - Stockholm
10 - Everything has changed
11 - A night at the Hovet
12 - What are you doing here?
13 - Shall we sleep?
Some news - not an update
14 - The Hangover
15 - Honey, I'm glad you came back!
16 - Hi, Deacy!
17 - Are you in love?
18 - I Want To Hold Your Hand
19 - Shall we dance, honey?
20 - Stomp, Stomp, Shit!
21 - A beautiful couple
22 - You are a good girl
23 - Love in Glasgow
24 - News of the World
25 - Hello, Julia!
26 - My Melancholic Juls
27 - As a Bandage
28 - Blair
Not an update
29 - A Secret for Elton
30 - Welcome to Montreux
31 - How wonderful life is while you're in the world
32 - Different Lifes
33 - Neighbors
34 - The Letter
35 - Hyde Park Corner
36 - My Fault
37 - I'm on my way
The Game Of Love

1 - Julia from Glasgow

2K 60 66
By msmayharold

London , April 1977.

Being a woman is not easy and that's all I have to say.

Okay, not literally, but initially it's what I have as the main point of all this.

So... being a woman and having an ambitious family is extremely difficult, and yes, I know this does not explain much. My name is Julia Quinn, that's Quinn and not Queen, as some people like to write. I completed 22 years recently and ran away from an engagement recently. Wow. Exciting, right?

Nah, there's nothing exciting apart from the fact that my supposed fiancé is a duke and a disgusting man who is more than twice my age, and of course, we can not forget that this whole idea was from my parents. But let's not waste time talking about these details now.

If I could sum up the last 72 hours I would use two words: total madness. Imagine I was leaving Glasgow under heavy rain, running with what I could get and a modest sum of pounds that was enough to pay for the train ticket and count on the generosity of my godmother who kindly got me a job interview with a longtime friend of hers, John Reid. The job actually was curious, imagine me as an assistant to a rock band, and well, briefly that's all that brings me up to Highbury New Park. Normally I would be wearing jeans and one of my shirts with a good woolen coat, a pair of boots and of course a scarf but everything I brought with me was not fit for a job interview, and ironically, my best was my dress white engagement, which obviously had a generous slit that at the time was my worst enemy against the cold. London as Glasgow is cold most of the time even in the middle of spring.

Walking the streets of Highbury I feel my stomach protesting for more food after my modest breakfast. I take a deep breath trying to ignore that at least seventy-two hours I live the base of peanuts and water, since I need money to get around and pay the lowly room rate in Kensington.I took my hand in the pocket on the right side of my black overcoat and searched for the piece of paper where the Wessex Studio address was noted and how I should look for this John Reid. The delicate handwriting of my godmother made my eyes feel filled with tears as I remembered that at least someone cared enough to help me out of that madness. I let out a long sigh and narrowed my eyes so I could filter the building numbers better.

All I knew about this friend of my godmother was that he was the manager of a band that I heard once or twice on the radio in Glasgow - I'm in love with my car that was enough to make me twist my nose in disgust and traumatize me to the point where I do not remember the name of another song - but they were becoming more and more successful and needed someone to help them in the day to day. Well, aside from the fact that the song about loving your own car makes me roll my eyes every time - understand it's an extremely weird song and it hints at very strange things for a car - I think I can handle this.

For the first time I smiled that day when my eyes finally found my destiny.

"Finally" I practically scream internally.

The old building passed far from looking like a recording studio, surrounded by huge trees and windows the place could possibly be someone's residence. The old building had a tall roof that resembled a chalet, the black grilles around the house reminded me of my parents' house in Glasgow with its low lawn and small trees , it seemed like a nice place.

"Ok Julia." I said taking slow steps toward the entrance.  "You can talk less scottish, you've been training since you were 15. "I clear my throat in the hope that my loaded Scottish accent will not be so obvious.

I filled my lungs again with air and lifted my chin as if seeking confidence from it as I opened the Wessex Studio door. The place was extremely intimate, the walls were dark in color, there were sofas in the leather reception area and a chin-drop chandelier.

A middle-aged woman spoke on the phone in an unmistakable british accent as I laid my arms on the wooden counter resting my chin on my clasped hands, the woman seemed to spit fire at the words that hissed.

A few seconds later she returned the phone to the receiver and took a deep breath as her blue eyes fell on me.

"How can I help you?" The woman with lightly wrinkled skin spoke at me in an intimidating way.

"A-ah, good morning," I say, trying to sound as least nervous as possible. "I'm looking for John Reid." I say feeling a knot form in my throat. "Tell him I'm Julia Quinn from Glasgow, please." I ask smiling nervously at the end.

The woman took a deep breath and studied me briefly and got up.

"Okay, wait here." the woman spoke up and entered the hallway that seemed to lead to the studios.

I let out another long breath and stared at the ceiling for some sort of relief."Julia Quinn from Glasgow," I murmured, realizing how stupid that sounded, but that was what my godmother had instructed me to do.

It was possible to hear the sound of a piano and voices in the background. I clung to the sound of the light and fluid melody of the piano and felt my skin shiver which made me laugh. The voices began to approach and I quickly settled my posture.

A man with impeccably combed brown hair appeared in a black suit and red tie. He smiled to see me and I felt my cheeks turn red.

"You must be Julia Quinn!" the man said, reaching out and walking toward me.

"Aye, Julia Quinn." I ignored the rule of forgetting to speak like Glasgow.

He squeezed my hand and a smile spread on his lips.

"John Reid," my heart leapt with joy as I heard his name. "Now come on, I need to get through your day's chores." He said laughing as he led me down the corridor.

############

John and I were in an office for at least half an hour and I was being bombarded by a myriad of information about the band. Apparently John owed a favor to my godmother Peggy and he did not even ask me to tell him about my experiences ... and that's how I got the job.

It seems very easy.

I was infinitely happy and grateful, speechless to describe what I was feeling and trying to pay attention to the smallest detail he was experiencing. You must be wondering how I did not know and had no idea about Queen and the members, and well ... this is easy I only had eyes for the Beatles, and just like them the Queen was made up of four guys.

Brian, Roger, John and Frederick.

They each different their way by what I understood, but they worked extremely well when together and were friends for a good few years. John spoke a little about each and his tastes, were not demanding, but something made me twist my nose.

"Freddie can be a little difficult some times..." John scribbled a piece of paper without looking directly at me while talking about Frederick.

I frowned and settled into my chair trying to approach John with a look of almost supplication.

"How difficult?" I ask intrigued and he lets a laugh escape and look at me.

"You will find out." He speaks with a smile and stands up. "Let's go?" He asked and I just nodded, getting up from the chair and following him.

POV FREDDIE

Almost a month of vacation.

A month away from the stages and a whirlwind of ideas of new music flooded my mind. Brian and Roger were discussing anything with John Reid while Deaky tuned the bass and I ran my fingers over the keys playing Love of my life just to distract me.

Staying home with Tiffany, Tom, Jerry and Oscar was all I needed but I really missed being in the studio, and could not wait for the second part of our A Day at The Races tour. John left the studio and Brian and Roger returned to position on their instruments.

"So ... vacations are over." Brian spoke with a sigh. "What are the ideas for the next album?" He asks with a smile playing on his lips.

"I have a great one!" Deacy spoke as he passed the bottom strap over his head.

"I'm going through a blockage," Rog said, smoothing a lock of hair behind his ear.

I smiled triumphantly, I was already days with an idea in mind and I needed to show them. I still did not have the right name of the song, but it was something about champions.

"Oh darlings," I said in a sigh and clawed my fingers and everyone turned their attention to me. "I need to show you something I've worked on these last few weeks."

Brian smirked and Roger swings one of the drumsticks into the air.

"Deacy does not mind Freddie shows us his music first, right?" Brian asked as John handed me the lyrics of the song he was working on and I glanced quickly at the name of the song that was Spread Your Wings.

"No, it's even better, he'd have to read what I wrote so I could sing." Deacy spoke in his calm, ever-returning voice to where he had been before.

"Okay, so please pay attention to what I have to show, darlings, it's fucking wonderful." I speak and begin the introduction of my new creation.

"I've paid my dues
Time after time
I've done my sentence
But committed no crime
And bad mistakes
I've made a few
I've had my share of sand kicked in my face
But I've come through"

I felt the stares of everyone on my back as I let the song flow like the times I played it at home.

"We are the champions, my friendsAnd we'll keep on fighting 'til the endWe are the championsWe are the championsNo time for losers'Cause we are the champions of the world'"

I reach the last note in what I had in mind quickly and turned to them again. Roger has a surprised expression, Brian with satisfaction so did John.

"So ..." I say, clearing my throat.

Roger just clap his hands and I feel my face blush.

"Freddie ... it's great. Very good, what's your name?" Brian asks as I get up from the piano bench.

"Well I have not finished the second half yet, but I thought of something like We are The Champions," I say gesturing as if I visualized success.

Deacy whistles and I turn to stare at him.

"'Self-centered.' he says nothing and I smile at him. "But the lyrics are great and I can imagine people clearly singing it." He speaks and I approach him patting him on the shoulder.

"Thank you, John." I speak happily and go back to the piano picking up the sheet he had left with me. "How about we try Spread Your Wings now?"

John agrees and begins to give us the instructions for the music and tone of each part, they test the chords as I read the lyrics. The lyrics were beautiful, and had great potential. I tested a few tones for the chorus as they continued a discussion about what Brian should do. After a few minutes we positioned ourselves in our places.

"Let's go then." I talk giving a signal to Roger started the beat of the music.

"Sammy was lowJust watching the showOver and over againKnew it was timeHe'd made up his mindTo leave his dead life behind "

I sing and Deacy nods to me with a smile.

"His boss said to himBoy, you'd better beginTo get those crazy notions right out of your headSammy, who do you think you are?You should've been sweeping up the Emerald bar "

I close my eyes to sing the chorus once I had already saved it.

"Spread your wings and fly awayFly away, far awaySpread your little wings and fly awayFly away, far away "

I sing as the song moves through me and giving emotion to the music so I open my eyes.

She was blonde, her hair was long with curls at the ends, she had little freckles under her green eyes, her cheek was slightly pink, her lips were parted, she was short, but the heels she wore made her a little taller, the white sleeveless dress and a generous crack in her left leg complemented her beauty. I shook my head out of my reverie and back to the music.

"Pull yourself together'Cos you know you should do better' "

I sang without being able to take my eyes off her.

"That's because you're a free man."

X

Thank you to my Cambridge dictionary, you saved me! My proof of love is there, I hope you enjoy it and if you find mistakes forgive me I'm starting to write in English!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.2K 46 33
β˜† Freddie (Bulsara) Mercury just moved to a new home with his sister and his parents. He's a gifted pianist and was quite intrested in romance. He i...
13.2K 474 16
π’Šπ’ π’˜π’‰π’Šπ’„π’‰ 𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒓𝒆'𝒔 𝒂 π’ˆπ’“π’π’–π’‘π’„π’‰π’‚π’• 𝒐𝒇 𝒇𝒐𝒖𝒓 π’˜π’‚π’„π’Œπ’‚π’”π’” π’•π’†π’†π’π’‚π’ˆπ’†π’“π’”, π’•π’˜π’ 𝒐𝒇 π’˜π’‰π’Šπ’„π’‰ 𝒂𝒓𝒆 𝒆𝒙𝒂𝒔𝒑𝒆𝒓𝒂𝒕...
44.8K 2.2K 19
This story takes place in the early 70s.
64.3K 1.6K 70
Nina Jackson grew up in a small, old fashioned town a few hours from London. Her whole life she felt like an outsider. Her parents didn't accept her...