The Deadly Trials

By MadisonYuresko

Princes with dark pasts, girls out for vengeance, and creatures with a thirst for blood. These trials may liv... More

Copyright
summary + aesthetics
«prelude»
1.1 | Invite
1.2 | Invite
2 | Chameleon
3 | Numbered
4 | Hamster on a Wheel
5 | Twelve | rune
6 | Royal Gardener
7 | Melting Sugar
8.1 | Lava
8.2 | Lava
9 | Second Impressions | rune
10 | Fire Wall
11 | Rewards
12.1 | Splash
13 | Water Droplets | rune
14 | Lightheaded
15 | Cruel Illusions
16 | A Fickle Thing | rune
17 | Tiny Flowers
18 | It's Too Late
19 | Flowers and Light | rune
20 | Named
21 | Abandon
22 | Faerie Hides and Castle Trinkets
23.1 | Fairy Light Festivals
23.2 | Fairy Light Festivals
24 | Reciprocation | rune
25 | Like Snow
26 | Dance
27 | Something Fluttered
28.1 | Then So Shall It Be
28.2 | Then So Shall It Be
29 | Bad Emotions | rune
30 | Heartbeat | Heartbreak
31 | Princess
32 | The Fire's Gone
33 | Simplified
34.1 | A Wish on a Flower
34.2 | A Wish on a Flower
35 | I Could

12.2 | Splash

164 13 2
By MadisonYuresko

// splash | part 02 //

A knock sounded at the door. My eyes flashed open — from the glowing image of a flower to my left, I was still in Eternity. I huffed and forced myself to get up. My muscles were tight.

When I opened the door, Eika the chameleon stood there. Both her eyes focused on me and she sent me her motherly smile.

"Eika!"

    "Hello, maiden." She looped my arm through hers and led me down the hall. "When I had heard number twelve had come in first at the third trial, I knew I had to visit."

    My eyes searched hers imploringly. "Not even you can say my name?"

    A slight frown tipped her lips. "I fear not, sweet maiden. I would hate for your elimination to come about because of our familiarity. So I will not use your name."

    "Where are we going?" This castle was too much like a maze.

    "As a reward for coming in first, you are welcomed to a meal." She smiled at me.

    We stepped down the stairs to the second level. The chandeliers here were more exquisite than those on the upper floors. However, the designs remained the same: black and white, flowers and geometric shapes.

    "The castle really is beautiful." My eyes followed the curves of the vaulted ceiling. My gaze landed on Eika.

    Her expression saddened. "It is. And the royal families have been so benevolent to allow us to live in their home."

    We fell into silence as we made our way down a wide hallway with elaborate candle sconces along the walls.

    My mind thought back to Jack and my questions about the Bride Competition. I chewed the inside of my cheek and plunged. "Um, do you know why the competition has become so cruel? I mean, how dangerous it is seems . . . pointless, you know?"

    The chameleon-noid let out a quiet sigh while her eyes glanced in opposite directions. "The Bride Competition started out as a pageant of sorts. Eligible and interested citizens of Eternity would wear their finest and perform tricks and talents before the royal family, as well as a table of judges. The participants would be quizzed on their knowledge of policy and history, and they would be awarded points for their performances. The one with the greatest points was considered the fittest to rule Eternity alongside the royal family."

    Lips pursing, I asked, "So, what happened?"

    Eika folded her hands across her stomach, solemn. "Because of growing dissent, Eternity overall grew . . . darker. Things felt more dangerous."

    I recalled Jack's similar words and peered out the window at the glowing sky, a contradiction to the darkening hearts of Eternity.

    "And so, to better ensure the future of Eternity and her kind, a king of old called for the Bride Competition to change. The Competition tested not only strength of character but also strength of body."

    "So things evolved into . . . this." I held my arms out as though to encapture all of Eternity.

    "Yes."

    We came to two doors, carved with two large roses.

    "Maiden, I believe the King and Prince are dining here. I will ask if I should prepare a different room for you. Wait here."

    Before I could protest, Eika opened the doors and stepped inside. I peeked around her.

    Bordering the room were pillars, carved with flowers and geometric shapes. In the center of the room was a long ebony table. Despite its size, only two people sat at it: one at the head, the other in the middle. Plates of foreign foods filled the table top. At the other end of the room was another set of doors, and from the servants moving in and out of them with food, I assumed it to be the kitchen.

    Eika bowed at the waist. "Pardon the intrusion, Your Majesty, Your Highness. A maiden completed a round first and is thus entitled to a meal. If you wish, we can find a room elsewhere."

    "Nonsense!" a booming voice declared. "We would love to have a guest at our table."

    Eika indicated I enter the dining hall, and I took hesitant steps inside.

    Like last time I had seen him, the King was clothed head to foot in a dark robe, his hood hiding his face. The Prince sat at the middle of the table, donned in his uniform of black leather.

    The Prince glanced at me. His eyes widened and then narrowed into slits. He turned away, focused on the untouched food in front of him.

    Meanwhile, I felt the King's steadfast stare on me as Eika guided me to the seat directly opposite the Prince's.

    I almost complained about the seating arrangement, but I furrowed my brows and pressed my lips into a tight line.

    "I must say, maiden." The King settled his elbows on the table and enlaced his fingers. The skin he did reveal seemed to shimmer gold in the light. "You have impeccable timing. It is the usual mealtime now."

    A male servant, donning a suit of black and white, slid a plate of green, purple, and red plants before me. I scanned the other dishes: an array of colorful vegetables, leaves, and other plantlike edibles. He also placed a cup of water by the plate.

    "Well, isn't this just wonderful, son?" The King's hood shifted in Prince Rune's direction. "It has been such a long time since someone has dined with us."

    The Prince didn't react. He frowned at his food, acting as if his father hadn't said a word.

    Unused to such awkward quiet, I picked at the food on my plate. There was a broad leaf that reminded me of Jack's snack and the leaf in the first-aid kit. Curious, I tore off a bit and chewed. It tasted the same too: mint and lemon and bitter.

    The King started on his meal, also using his hands. "How long would you say it's been since we've last had a guest with us?" The lack of response from his son didn't deter him. "Probably over eight bl — what do you call them on Earth? Days? Eight . . . thousand days, would it be?" He chuckled.

    As I ate the assortment of earthy flavors — from citrus to sweet to sour — I watched Prince Rune. He seemed as upset with the seating arrangement as me: stiff shoulders, a constant scowl, a refusal to respond to the King.

    At the mention of eight thousand days, the Prince's eyes darkened with shadows. But his expression remained stoic, oblivious to his father otherwise.

    The hood tilted. "I wish we could get to know you, maiden." King Hadeth clicked his tongue. "I wish we could ask your name and learn of your hometown on Earth. We so adore Earth, as evidenced by our languages and customs and habits. Oh, how I wish we could learn your habits too! But, I suppose you will have to remain a mystery. For now." I felt his smile.

    The King had taken two bites before he bellowed, "This competition has been most exciting. Wouldn't you say so, son?"

    Prince Rune didn't look up from his meal.

    "Why, it's probably the most exciting one in — eternities." He chuckled, beguiled.

    The silence dragged on longer this time. For some reason, I felt a bit sad. Was this how it always was for the royal family? Tense silences and a father trying so hard while his son wallowed in silence? Or had it just been this way for eight thousand days?

    It made me wonder: what had happened to the Queen? What crimes had she committed and why?

    "I hope you don't mind me saying, maiden, but you are quite beautiful." The King's smile was evident in his voice, and I could feel his eyes affixed on me.

    I opened my mouth, but King Hadeth said, "Don't you agree, son?"

    Now both the King and I watched the Prince for his reaction. But all he did was glance up from his vegetables. He didn't break his stoicism; he didn't even blink.

    My eyebrows pulled down. "I don't think he agrees with you, sir." I glared at the Prince, but he still didn't react.

    King Hadeth waved aside my comment. "Oh, ignore him, maiden. He is the brooding type."

    Everyone turned to their food. I observed the myriad colors and all the shades of green. I realized then that there were no meat dishes.

    "Oh, um, do you not eat meat?" My gaze fell to the King.

    He chuckled — the King was a light that refused to extinguish. "We do. But, as I'm sure you've noticed, vegetation is much easier to come by. We could fix a meat dish for you, though, if you'd like?"

    I lifted my hands and shook my head. "Oh, no, this is fine. Thank you."

    I noticed Prince Rune studying me. His eyes blazed like black fire. I couldn't label what burned there — too many emotions at once.

    Then, "You don't like me, do you?" The Prince's eyebrows lowered. He once again treated his father as if he didn't exist. And those dark eyes demanded my full attention.

    Lips pursing, my arms folded across my chest. "I wouldn't say I'm your biggest fan."

    His head bent so he stared at me from behind his hair. His strong gaze was unsettling. "Because I won't abolish the Competition?"

    The challenge was clear in his voice and in his eyes.

    I lifted my nose into the air. "That might have something to do with it. But it's also the fact that you pulled me from my home on Earth for this stupid competition of the fittest. What? The conventional dating thing didn't work for you?" My lip curled.

    His nostrils flared, more kindling added to the fire in his eyes. The poison in his voice was lethal. "Do not insult the traditions of Eternity when you know nothing of this place."

    "I know more than you think."

    "We respect Earthen traditions." His expression hardened. "We only hope for the same respect in kind. I would ask you to put yourself in our shoes, to see the world through my eyes for just a second." A wicked grin split his face, causing the strange jewels on his cheek to catch glints of light. "But I believe you are too dense for that."

    A scoffing chuckle erupted from my lips and I rose from my seat. "I could say the same for you. Try to put yourself in my shoes for just a moment." I grabbed my glass of water. "You're just as dense."

    Without a second thought, I splashed water on Prince Rune. I slammed my now-empty cup back onto the table. Straightening my shirt, I said, "Excuse me. I'm not hungry anymore."

    It was only until I was in the hallway that I realized: I had splashed water on the face of a prince. On purpose.

a/n: lols 😂

add to your libraries, vote, comment, all that good stuff.

big fat hugs :3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.5K 347 29
She was just a normal girl, Then her world shattered. The death of her mother : who looks and deceives even her own daughter to think she was human. ...
6.2K 272 9
A cynical Necromancer with a terrible secret. An optimistic Crown Prince crumbling under the pressure. A talented mage living in the shadow of his y...
3.3M 139K 40
Her presence was once one that enamoured the masses. A beautiful young princess whose destiny seemed to be set in a life of royal balls and princes. ...
10.4K 309 20
{Yandere male x female chubby reader} In a world with magical beings, there is a kingdom, far, far, away where a servant named Y/n lives. You work in...