The Hunters Saga #2: The Wolf...

By RJ_City

"DEATH IS QUICKLY CLOSING IN..." "You don't know what control is." I blinked. "Okay, so... I'm stuck with... More

Copyright & Dedication
Chapter 1: Keeping Up Disappearances
Chapter 2: The Wolfsbane Rubies
Chapter 3: Lip Locking With Lycanthropes
Chapter 4: Rebound Girl
Chapter 5: Rogues Just Wanna Have Fun
Chapter 6: Sibling Secrets
Chapter 7: The Ties That Bind Us
Chapter 8: Heirloom
Chapter 9: Family is Blood
Chapter 10: Moving Target
Chapter 11: Bloody Birthday Candles
Chapter 12: Little Hunter Blues
Chapter 13: Annabelle
Chapter 14: Code Red
Chapter 15: Fatal Attraction
Chapter 16: Be Still My Unbeating Heart
Chapter 17: Risk-Taker
Chapter 18: Charmed, I'm Sure
Chapter 19: Re-Marked Love
Chapter 20: Stakes Not Included
Chapter 21: Abomination
Chapter 23: Hide & Seek
Chapter 24: I'm Dying & I Know it
Chapter 25: Fresh Blood
Epilogue: Proditor
TEASER - Book Three: The Hawthorn Pearl

Chapter 22: Weakness

5.6K 272 67
By RJ_City

A/N: I've kept you waiting long enough... I know I promised a double update but it's just been so BUSY, this Christmas week :P Hope this chapter makes up for the wait! ;)  

Chapter 22: Weakness 

    "Is he here yet?" the master vampire asked Gavin Sinclair while lounging on a plush couch in the comfort of the rich vampire's mansion; specifically what most of his guests had considered to be the 'family room'. 

   "If you mean that rebellious, Chicago-raised soldier of yours, then no. He'll be arriving in Manhattan in three days max. Or so I've heard," Gavin muttered, effortlessly relaying the information that he'd acquired from outside sources.

   Robert's look of optimism morphed into a cold smile. "That 'rebellious, Chicago-raised soldier' is my-"

   "Yeah, yeah, I get it," the other vampire chided, clearly uninterested in the current topic that was taking place. "He's important to your plan. God knows why... "

   "Hold your tongue, Gavin Sinclair," Robert hissed at the red-eyed vamp. "You want to join your twin in exile? In the hunt and execution about to take place?" When the vampire remained silent, eyes slightly going wide, the master vampire chuckled suddenly, shaking his head in mock disappointment. "My niece managed to destroy a newborn tonight. A feat difficult to any and every vampire hunter in our history."

   "She had help," Gavin put in hastily, losing his sense of nervousness towards his master.

   Robert nodded in agreement. "Yes, I know. Henri assisted her. Another crime to be added upon his overall charges."

   Gavin chuckled slightly, and sat back in his chair. "My brother knew he was condemned from the second he betrayed you all those years ago when he protected that human." He laughed heartily. "His actions-"

   "I know," Robert cut him off with the wave of his clawed hand. The vampire casually looked around the room when his dark eyes settled upon a leather bound book near the pool table.

   "So... " Gavin started, sounding oddly uncomfortable in his environment suddenly. "How's the search going?"

   "Dead ends, all of them," Robert muttered darkly, his hands clenching at his sides with barely retrained anger.

   "What did you expect? I mean, the original witch's grimoire is thousands of years old," Gavin relayed matter-of-factly. "No possible way that piece of shit spell book is still floating around. At least not in the natural world."

   "The key," Robert explained sharply, his harrowed gaze leaving the book that held ancient stories of curses and monstrous hybrids, and focusing on the other vampire. "The key is in that grimoire. Viviana Garland wouldn't destroy her work."

   "Probably not, but she'd have to keep it hidden," Gavin pointed out smugly. "Releasing that kind of unrestrained magical energy, whether relatively good or bad, could be catastrophic."

   Robert chuckled again, his tone mocking. "Catastrophic? Since when do you care for humanity?"

   Gavin downright snorted, shaking his head. "Magic is power. Even you can understand that, being that you're so young to vampire society, but you've managed to gain the upper hand through your sire, the late master. May he rest in pieces... Anyway, magic is power, and vampires run on power. Thing is, witches and warlocks tend to manipulate magic, therefore power. They'd be able to overthrow the heads of the supernatural community – AKA any and every vampire society in America. Hell, the world." The vampire gave a small, short laugh, as if what he'd been saying actually amused him in some shape or form. "That would be terrible. I could care less if humans were annihilated in the process."

   The master vampire sighed, silence quickly falling upon the room. Then: "Make sure that our visitor does not arrive before our plans can become reality," Robert commanded, directly staring the relatively older vampire in the eye. Gavin nodded once, if stiffly. "And if Antoinette or my brother get in the way?"

   "Let them."

   Before Gavin could process his thoughts on the words of his ultimate master, Robert laughed, if a bit maniacally. "If all goes according to plan, I'm sure those two will be in the absolute thick of it all. Right where I want them to be."

***

   The usual feeling of consciousness – I've been unconscious way too many times, apparently – welcomed me, and I managed to exhale sharply as memories and physical signs became painfully apparent as they surfaced. My body ached, specifically my arm. The arm that Stephen had-

   I bit my lip to hold back a cry as the pain and images came back to me full-force. Now I was awake, completely, my eyes open wide. I took in my surroundings, the familiarity of them, with quick rendition and realized that I was back in my apartment; in my own bed, to be specific.

   Strange.

   The sheets felt soft and silky against my unnaturally sensitive skin. Admittedly, I didn't feel as terrible as I'd assumed after pulling through a near-death situation with a psychotic newborn vampire. I let out a prolonged sigh before glancing across the room. The place was empty, per usual.

   I suddenly felt the urge to find Henri, allegedly spurred on by the Mark so freshly put upon my skin. It tingled slightly, and I managed to calm my raging heartbeat, if just barely. That's when I realized that I wasn't wearing much beneath the thin, comforting covers that blanketed my body: just a bra and matching panties. Huh.

   Okay, I wonder how I got into this... Henri. Avoiding the anger that had surfaced instantly, I risked a glance down at my arm; the one that had been injured.

   Well, emphasis on had.

   No scar, no bumps... nothing. The flesh of my arm had been repaired thanks to Henri, and I smiled slightly. Drinking the vampire's blood held consequences, I knew that well by now. Thing was, I didn't care what happened between that vampire and me. I didn't care if our moral differences – not to mention physical ones – were humongous. I didn't even give a shit if it was dangerous; this relationship, that is. My uncle had said something about Henri's trouble with the clan... did the vampire know he wasn't exactly square with the others in the big city?

   If he did, why didn't he act afraid?

   I wiped my eyes of sleep, drawing my upper body against the singular pillow. My mind was far from at ease, although my body was a nice little contradiction. I felt relaxed, but also insanely restless for some reason. Was it because of my encounter with my uncle and Stephen? Stephen's death?

   Thoughts of the murderous newborn brought me to my next problem: Stephen Church was no more; dead in the absolute vampire sense. His Father would no doubt be heartbroken by this news, but appear noble to the others. Maybe he'd even thank me for restoring safety in New York – a completely laughable concept if you ask me – but deep down, he'd hold a grudge. I'd stopped the killings... right? Everything should've gone back to normal.

   Yeah, I didn't believe that either...

   Almost absentmindedly, I searched for my phone, which sat on the bedside table within easy access and reach. Checking for possible messages, I came across plenty from Ethan and Clary, demanding to know my location, of course. Most were the simple: 'Where the Hell are you?! Text me back!' However, one made me stop and actually think. The text had been from Ethan, and it'd been sent not ten minutes ago.

   ARE YOU HOME? TONI, YOU DON'T WANT THE ORDER BEING SUSPICIOUS, MORE THAN THEY USUALLY ARE. ANSWER BACK SO WE CAN GET BACK TO WORK.

   I scratched my forehead, mulling it over. Work... was there really any to be done? Now that Stephen was gone...

   My phone buzzed again, signaling yet another text from my hunter friend.

   ONE OF THE HUNTERS FOUND STEPHEN OUTSIDE OF ST. PATRICK'S CHURCHYARD. JUST THE HEAD, BY THE WAY. STOP PLAYING HOOKIE, AND GET YOUR ASS OVER HERE!

   He sounded so condescending, even through something as informal as text messaging. I'd laugh if I wasn't in so much pain. Well, the ghost pain, really. In fact, the only part of my body that ached profusely was my neck, right where Henri's Mark sat. The scar was throbbing slightly, and I hesitantly touched the heated area of skin. My body felt anchored to the spot by the building fierceness of the Mark. I'd never experienced that before... Was it Henri's doing? Hell if I knew.

   My fingers slid from my throat to the thin strap of the skimpy bra of lace I'd been put into while unconscious. Seriously, I didn't even own this shit! I closed my eyes in irritation as the seconds ticked by. Remind me to kill whoever's sick and twisted mind came up with this little game of dress up. It was just insulting.

   I slid out from under the sheets when a feeling of familiarity came over me. My pulse rose as the Mark caught on fire, practically searing itself into my flesh like a branding iron.

   Fitting, since it was considered a sign of ownership.

   "Henri?" I called, recalling the fact that it seemed to flare up when he was nearby. Was the vampire here in the complex? How-

   "Henri!" I called out louder, my voice threatening to crack due to its lack of use. As you can probably already predict, no one answered.

   I was alone...

   Yeah freaking right.

   At a little after two in the morning, the level seemed unnaturally quiet. Just as I thought it, there was a loud banging noise, one that belonged to a door being shut with unnecessary force.

   What the Hell... Ethan? No, I wasn't betting on that, to tell you the truth. It could've been Henri or someone else that was...

   A spell of dizziness suddenly made me sit back on the bed. Come on... I had to check it out.

   Stupid...

   'Do you ever think, Antoinette?' Henri questioned, scaring the shit out of what normal confidence and poise that I'd had prior. Damn it... We were back to the whole telepathic link thing again, it seemed.

   Was that supposed to be a good thing?

   'Toni,' the voice warned as I slowly but surely made my way to the cramped living room. The area was full of vampiric energy. No, it wasn't Henri, although the vamp must've been near. Huh... Who was it, then? By the degree of power present, they were pretty damn strong, and that was just the start of the bad feelings I was receiving. The sharp aroma of mint hit me, and a sense of dread replaced the paralyzing anxiety within me.

   Russ...

   There was a sharp knock on the door, and I scurrying backward. If I was right, and it was Russ, I wasn't about to invite him in. Vamps had a thing for vengeance and holding grudges.

   Just great...

   The power seemed to slither through the open spaces in the locked door to the apartment, and I swallowed quietly. It seeped in from under the door, as palpable as actual smoke, and it entered the room like a dangerous gas.

   "Hello?" I didn't wait for an answer; I knew that it was stupid to anticipate or hope for one. If it really was Russ, I had to defend myself. I had to have a weapon handy, just in case things went south.

   If Russ was making a home visit, he must've been desperate.

   Or pissed.

   The knocking came back, so damn insistent, just as I found my traditional stake lying near the couch. Just in time, too, because the door flew open then, and my heart nearly stopped.

   It was Russ.

   The vampire smiled at me when our eyes made simple contact, a dangerous glint in his own.

   Oh, shit...

   "Antoinette Drake," he drawled with a smirk, his voice imitating the power flowing from his undead being. Smooth and suffocating, that voice held me in place almost effortlessly. I couldn't move, and my grip went slack as Russ held my gaze. The stake dropped to the floor. Now, the only thing protecting me was the threshold that shielded the vampire's entry. Russ had never been invited in.

   Well, thank God for that!

   "What do you want, bloodsucker?" I kept my voice level with his, unbelievably calm and confident, without a trace of a single human emotion.

   "Isn't it obvious? I've come to claim you back," he replied with another cold smile, black eyes practically twinkling. As he grinned, his fangs caught the little light from the hallway.

   I couldn't say I was surprised about his reasons for showing up in the middle of the Goddamn night. He, like any male in existence, was jealous and heartbroken. By vampire standards, Russ could threaten to kill me for practically dumping him. He had a right.

   Oh, where was Henri when I needed protecting?

   I acted nonchalant toward the vampire's words. Of course he still wanted me for himself. Well, too freaking bad! The usual sense of security coursed through my body, relaxing and relieving me. The blonde vamp in the doorway couldn't get to me. He couldn't compel me either, since the barrier separating us blocked out magic of any kind, including a vampire's use of compulsion. It worked for me, and I was so thankful for it. I gave Russ a glare, my hands still itching to dive for the stake. "You know what, I am so sick of you vampires and your damn territorial urges. I don't belong to anyone, vampire, human, or otherwise! Especially not you, Russ."

   At my cold words of truth, the vamp's smile had melted like snow in the middle of summer. His dark eyes seemed to casually roam the apartment before once again settling on me. I felt cold all of the sudden, and glanced down at my body. Russ was gazing rather intently at my attire.

   Oh, yeah...

   Those eyes lingered on my inappropriate lack of clothing for a long time. Longer than I naturally wanted.

   God, what a horny vampire...

   "Hey, Russ, I was kinda sleeping, so do you mind?" I turned my head sideways and averted my eyes from the doorway. I heard a low chuckle, then an aggravated hiss.

   "Damn it," Russ cursed, bringing his hand against the invisible barrier. "It's stronger than it should be."

   "Maybe that's a sign that you should just go away," I let out, a little smugly if you ask me. Hey, I was just overly glad that Russ hadn't been invited into the apartment. "Oh, and if you really want to talk to me or threaten me or whatever, you should probably do it while you're standing there all helpless and shit."

   Russ outright laughed. "Getting bold, aren't we?"

   I went for a shrug. "You're the one who decided to bother me after 2 in the morning!"

   "I knew Henri wouldn't be around," Russ mused, a slow smirk spreading across his angelic features.

   Goddammit, Toni, focus!

   I shook my head and gave an exasperated sigh. "I am serious, though. Leave me alone. We're done, and I've had a rough day. Wait," I paused for dramatic effect. "Make that a rough week." I managed to give the blonde vamp a once-over. "Seriously. Go away. Don't make me hurt you, Russ."

   "Is that what you told Stephen Church before he sank his teeth into your vein?" Russ asked, his eyes now shining with mock interest. "Did you?"

   "Did I what?"

   "Decapitate the newborn?"

   I shrugged. "Technically."

   Russ shook his head slightly, chuckling a bit. "Robert Drake has a theory that Henri Sinclair is responsible for Stephen's demise, not you."

   "Yeah, well, my uncle wants Henri out of the picture. Permanently," I bit out, then snorted in amusement, turning my attention to Russ again. "Sounds a lot like you, if you ask me."

   "I may hate Henri, but I respect him."

   I couldn't help but scoff at that. "Do you hear yourself right now? Henri won me fair and square. You lost... " I trailed off as my tongue swelled. Sure, Russ had cheated to get through to me, at Robert's orders, of course... but I barely knew him regardless. Henri and I had history, somewhat vague sure, but history nonetheless.

   "Antoinette, did you ever even love me?" If anything, his question threw me completely off guard. I hadn't been expecting him to ask that, for sure. I bit my lip and promptly shook my head. "Considering that you manipulated my feelings since the very beginning, I want to say 'no'."

   "But... " Russ prompted, gaining enough arrogance to smirk at me. I repressed an eye roll. "Look, I've really had a tough day, and your presence is just making it worse." I clutched my forehead as I continued softly. "You're a vampire, Russ, a cold-blooded predator. You've probably killed as many people as my uncle has, maybe even more. You're a lady killer, Russ, literally."

   Russ sighed. "Did Kira have say something to-?"

   "I figured it on my own, actually," I interjected in the blink of an eye. "You're just like any other vampire, Russ. A killer incapable of remorse. Heartless."

   "Henri Sinclair is the same," the blonde vampire started, dark eyes narrow. "He's a vampire, too."

   "At least he's aware of his mistakes," I pointed out dryly. "You, on the other hand, don't seem to care."

   "Antoinette, that doesn't matter now-"

   "Hey, we're talking about your faults here," I interrupted again, taking a step back, closer to the couch. If I had more confidence, I'd sit down and glare at the vampire in my doorway.

   "No, we're talking about love," Russ told me, bracing his charred hands against the doorframe. "Did you have feelings for me? Before I tricked you?"

   I frowned. Damn, that was a really good question; one that I had to think about for extended time due to my actual feelings for the vampire before me. Was my attraction to him ever real?

   Another great question!

   "You never proved your love, except with gifts. That, Russ, isn't love." Not that I actually knew what love really was, being that I'd never actually been in a serious relationship before. The closest I'd ever come - and probably will ever come – was with Henri. He never showered me with objects of great worth. He constantly showed me that he wanted to protect me, and love me for who I really was. Even if we weren't the same.

   I finally met Russ's heated gaze and held back a laugh. "The attraction that Henri and I share will always be more real than with you, Russ." The vampire didn't even have the nerve to look disappointed. He shook his head. "So, you never felt anything for me?"

   "Russ, I can honestly say that I never really loved you. I might've been attracted to you... I mean, who isn't?" He scoffed, and I continued. "Our relationship never would've worked. There wasn't enough... " I trailed off as I slowly came to terms with the fact that I didn't really have a clue where I was going with this conversation. It didn't help that I'd never experienced true love until Henri...

   Damn.

   "Passion?" Russ offered, leaning against the opposite wall, beside the door to Ethan's empty apartment. I frowned as I focused on the vampire's suddenly calm expression. What the Hell? One minute, he was angry; the next, thoughtful? That didn't add up.

   This is what I meant when I originally claimed that all vampires are bipolar.

   Big time.

   If anything, the older vamps were, anyway.

   "I guess," I admitted softly after a stretch of silence that spanned at least fifteen seconds.

   "Henri Sinclair was passionate toward you, and I wasn't?" Russ didn't let me answer; he merely shook his head. "Yes, I see now. He loves you more than his own existence."

   Okay, I didn't want to go as far as to say that. Henri loved me, sure, but not more than his own life, right?

   Right?

   Eh, forget it... I got nothing. I had to agree with the vamp's words ultimately. Henri's insistent love for me would be the destruction of him, and maybe even me. Hell, he was already up for execution. Being in trouble with both the clan and the Agency was not going to be easy to overcome. Even for a vampire like Henri Sinclair.

   I sighed, and asked Russ. "So, can you move on? My heart doesn't belong to you, Russ. Neither does my blood or my mind."

   "You're right, of course. Those things don't belong to me; they belong to Henri," Russ muttered so quietly I almost hadn't heard his words. Without another glance at me, the vampire left at full-speed, disappearing in a vertigo-induced blur.

   I rubbed my forehead, trying to rid my thoughts of where Henri could be right now. He knew to stay hidden, right?

   I relaxed on the welcoming couch. Henri would be alright, wherever he was. Sure, the Mark was acting up and all, but there had to be a logical explanation. That vamp could take care of himself. Hopefully, he wouldn't run into danger just for me. He was a hopeless, idiotic romantic if shit went down.

   The pain in my neck had receded into a dull pound, its beats along with my pulse. I picked up the stake and set it on the coffee table at my feet.

   Now that it was all-

   There was a knock on the door. I stiffened. Great, was Russ back for more?

   Damn, he was persistent.

   I didn't bother opening the door; it flew open by a seemingly invisible force. In the doorway stood my little sister.

   Alone.

   Liz looked into my wide eyes, her irises pure black pits of tar. What the Hell was she doing here? And without the ever-annoying presence of my uncle?

   Something was definitely suspicious.

   "Liz," I murmured, my voice sounding foreign to my ears. It was almost like having an out-of-body experience, or better yet, a dream. Except the horrifying fact that I was awake.

   This was real.

   "Toni." My sister's voice caused me to cringe. It had never sounded quite right after her transformation into one of the undead, and it would never be reversed. Well, unless that supposed 'cure' my uncle was searching for so fervently actually existed. That cold voice made me realize that my little sister, once so gentle and innocent, was no longer present. She'd changed.

   Yeah, no shit...

   I sat up against the couch. "What are you doing here?" I managed to ask, my hand already reaching for the stake.

   "I wouldn't do that if I were you, Toni." That warning, laced with some odd emotion, forced me to look at her, my grip on the stake tightening. "Answer me. Why are you here?"

   Liz sighed shortly, her gaze still on my hand. Without warning, the vamp lifted her hand, and the stake was jerked out of my reach and catapulted across the living room, landing somewhere behind me. Damn it. I swallowed hard and looked into Liz's dark eyes once more.

   Stupid telekinesis!

   Even at 2 AM, she was powerful. Not as much as Henri or my uncle, of course, but pretty damn close.

   "I came to talk to you," she explained slowly. "I want you to join the clan, Toni. Become a vampire." She whispered the last of her claim, taking a step into the apartment and over the useless threshold.

   "D-did Robert tell you to say that?" I growled in accusation, completely oblivious to the fear that shook through me. Liz was my sister; I shouldn't have been afraid of her... but I was. The young vampire moved closer as she spoke. "My master doesn't know I'm here, Toni. Trust me on that."

   I didn't trust her, case and point. Even as a young, new vampire, Liz could overpower me so damn easily.

   'Don't show fear, Toni,' a voice called from the far reaches of my mind. 'Show her you aren't afraid.'

   I pursed my lips almost mechanically. "Okay then... I refuse to become a bloodsucking predator. You're insane just like your master if you think I'll willingly choose immortality over humanity! I'd rather die!"

   Great.

   Why, oh why did I have to use those words?

   Liz only laughed softly, a shadow of my uncle's dark chuckle. "Then you're more ignorant and downright stupid than I thought. Being turned is a reward, not a burden."

   I'd heard that shit so many times, and it was really getting old. And boy was it a load of crap!

   I scoffed at my sister's words of pseudo-wisdom. "And who told you that? Your master? Give it up, Liz, he's controlling you like a little puppet, completely at his command. He made you come to me. I-"

   "My master is a great vampire!" Liz exploded, her eyes narrowed in red-hot anger.

   "He killed our parents, Liz!" I practically yelled back. "He killed you."

   "He saved me!" she shot back venomously, her fangs extending in response to her rising rage.

   Oh, shit.

   I tried to ignore those rightly intimidating fangs. "Our parents would be disappointed in you, Liz. You're the enemy now. An enemy of the human race."

   "Our parents would be proud of me. I chose life, which is more than I can say for you, Toni," my sister growled through a fanged mouth, her small body trembling with barely contained rage. I'd never seen her so pissed.

   Vampirism must've heightened all human emotions... or something like that.

   My body hit the couch again as Liz stalked even closer, too close for my own sake.

   'Don't panic, don't you dare panic... '

   "Don't come any closer," I managed to squeak as my throat tightened as genuine fear took hold of me. Liz smiled up at me, her lethal fangs long and outrageously sharp. "You're pathetic. Our uncle was right about you. You might act and look like a vampire hunter, but you're weak. You're also shit when it comes to defending yourself." She slung closer before continuing. "Toni, please listen to me." She took a deep breath, her arms falling limp to her sides. "When the world inevitably ends, who do you think will be left? The strong, the adapting species. Vampires, for lack of a better word." She leaned into me, dark eyes holding me in place. "We live forever, don't you want that? Family is important to you... isn't it?"

   I swallowed hard. "You... are not... my family anymore! You are dead to me!" I screamed in my sister's face. Appearing only slightly fazed, she sat back, quietly observing me. "Vampires are the survivalists, the perfect predator. We sustain ourselves off of living, breathing life. At the top of the food chain is where our kind reigns." She turned away. "Don't ever forget that."

   "Liz-"

   "We take what we need; what is essential. We don't care if a hundred humans have to die in agony to sustain our thirst."

   I bit my lip, briefly touching the healed flesh of my arm. She was right. Goddammit, she was right! I couldn't change the natural instinct of vampires... Hell, the entire supernatural community. Was that the ultimate goal of the Order?

   "Why are you telling me this? If you really thought that talking to my undead sister would convince me, you don't know me at all. You're just wasting your time."

   Liz frowned, tilting her head to the side. Dark brown hair fell into her eyes, shadowing a part of her face from view.

   Liz.

   My heart still broke at the sight of her, and I had to believe that she wouldn't hurt me here. At least not now. Probably couldn't at my uncle's distinct orders to keep me alive until I would ultimately agree to his offer of immortality.

   As if!

   "I thought I could convince you," she murmured before looking around the main room. Something familiar flickered in her gaze that gave me a flutter of hope. Did she remember her home for so many years? Did it affect her, even for just a few seconds? Apparently, whatever it had been was brief. Liz instantly slammed back into sinister bloodsucker in a heartbeat, and I cursed myself for being so stupid. Why had I even hoped?

   "Liz, wait!" I called out when she started for the door, apparently done with our little conversation. My sister froze where she stood, but she never turned to face me again. "What?"

   "Don't lose sight of your humanity," I murmured. "I know you may not believe it, but vampires like you are perfectly capable of it. Don't forget what our uncle has done to this family. He ruined your life; he ruined our life."

   Liz didn't react; she remained as still as a freaking statue. I wanted to say more, but I held back. Words. Words wouldn't bring my dear sister out of this walking corpse that stood before me.

   "Goodbye, Toni."

   Before I could even react, my sister was gone. After she left, I went back to sleep, but it was a long wait before the nightmares subsided, and my body came peacefully to rest.

***

   The next morning, my mind made the dreadful mistake of waking up at only 8 in the morning. Since it was the weekend, I had little to no hunter duties to be fulfilled, but I'd gotten almost no sleep thanks to my many visitors.

   I headed out to the Mustang and drove to the nearest Starbucks. Now, I'm not usually a fan of coffee, but waking up and functioning was way more important. Plus, Starbucks, while not very cheap, had great taste regardless. I was just sitting down while sipping my cinnamon latte – reminded me a bit of Henri – when I noticed someone I recognized sitting near the window of the place, alone at one of the small tables.

   Micah.

   The black-haired werewolf sat, his shoulders slumped forward, eyes downcast, as he read a newspaper, occasionally sipping at a Frappachino marked with vanilla and peppermint. His green eyes seemed dull as I caught a quick glimpse of them in the fading reflection.

   Resisting the sudden urge to flee the Starbucks, I decided to confront the spy. I sat down across from him just as he decided to look up. Those emerald eyes lit up at the mere sight of me. "T-Toni? What are you doing-?"

   "Funny, I was just about to ask you that, Micah," I replied, calmly looking into his luscious eyes. It should've been a normal sight: a guy in a coffee shop. Well... a werewolf in a coffee shop.

   I sighed. "You working today?"

   Micah blinked at me. "What? Why?" He shook his head. "I no longer work at Creature Clothing."

   "I was talking about your... strained employment with the Order."

   Even though the room was full of sounds and scents, I'd felt silent come over the were before me. His face fell, and he turned his gaze to the newspaper in his hands. "I haven't been much use to the Order lately." His eyes scanned the headline. "There have been more murders."

   "Murders happen all the time here in N-"

   "Not ones where the NYPD believe they're animal attacks, and classify them as such," Micah explained, sounding suddenly tired, his tone low.

   I bit my lip hard at the change of direction in this conversation of ours. "And?"

   "Didn't you take care of Stephen Church?" Micah questioned sharply. "The other day?"

   "Yes," I bit out.

   Micah's frown deepened. "Then I wonder who's killing recklessly now. The Order has another murderous supernatural on their hands, it seems."

   "Micah," I said softly, reaching across the small distance between us to take the were's hand. "I want to know."

   "What?" he asked, brow furrowed. "What are you talking ab-?"

   "How did you become the Manhattan vampire clan's spy? Why?" I closed my eyes briefly, and when I opened them again, the were was shaking his head. "Why the urge to know? It's not exactly a nice little tale."

   "I didn't expect it to be, honestly," I pointed out with an encouraging smile. "Please, Micah? I'm curious."

   "Too curious."

   "Just tell me."

   "It's a long story."

   "Hey, I've got time," I said with a smirk, holding my latte up for him to see. "I've also got my caffeine. So begin."

   "God, you're bossy," Micah complained under his breath before sighing heavily. He had no choice, now. He had to tell me. Why I really wanted to know might've been from the fact that I wanted to forgive him for everything he'd done. Maybe there was a logical explanation for his sudden loyalty toward his natural enemy.

   Yeah, okay, we'll see...

   Micah took another deep breath before staring me in the eye. "There used to be more werewolves in the city. True, most of them have either migrated West or are dead but... " he shook his head. "Anyway, back then, the werewolves and the vampires had a sort of truce. It wasn't too stable, and we'd heard rumors that some of the bloodsuckers looked to break some rules."

   "We?"

   "My family and their friends. Our pack was the biggest in the northeast. Of course, after Oliver Blackwell slaughtered half of us, it could barely support itself." Micah had family. I thought back to when Oliver Blackwell – world's first vampire, hello – had been visiting Manhattan. The experience hadn't ended well for him, and I'd rather not get into the details. Anyway, so I'd also remembered the trouble that the lycanthropes – not to mention other members of the supernatural community – had with the ultimate master vampire. Oliver naturally hated any and every werewolf, so it should've been a no-brainer.

   Why pick Micah, though?

   "My parents died defending my sister and me," Micah said next, and my heart squeezed at the expression on the werewolf's broken face. This was a painful memory for him... but I had to know.

   "You had a sister?" I asked next, forcing a nod from the despondent lycanthrope.

   "Her name was Kali, she was only a few years younger than me when the attacks started," he gave a sigh that made him sound so helpless. "They came without warning, the attacks. Kali was injured, but she never made it by morning. My Mom and Dad tried to help her but... " His voice broke, and I resisted the comforting urge to hold him.

   A gesture like that probably wouldn't fly in this location. I remained still as Micah continued his story: "One of Oliver's goons kidnapped my Mom and tortured her to the brink of death. My Dad was forced to stay behind on his alpha's orders. I still remember her screams... "

   I swallowed hard, and my fists clenched. "Did you ever hunt down your Mom's kidnapper?"

   "It was Robert Drake," Micah murmured, refusing to meet my gaze.

   I felt my body slowly go numb. Robert had tortured Micah's Mom, a werewolf I'd never met.

   "My Dad's death was quick, thanks to Oliver," the were continued, sounding almost unwilling to finish the depressing tale. "Robert confronted me, told me that the deaths could end if I just agreed to help him." Micah chuckled dryly. "Imagine that. A vampire asking a werewolf for help."

   "What did my uncle want?" I dared to ask.

   Micah met my eyes, his hands shaking slightly. "He wanted me to become the clan's personal spy. He and Oliver threatened to kill more if I refused." He covered his face with those trembling hands of his.

   "Micah, you had no choice," I reminded him. "None of those deaths were your fault."

   "The Order recruited me less than a year later, making me their pack mule. Which is what Robert and Oliver wanted, obviously," Micah went on with yet another sigh. "After your uncle became master vampire, my job as a spy became crucial, but I never forgot the threats over my friends and family."

   "Family? I thought-"

   "Odelia, her brother, and the Hastings twins are my family now," he explained, a smile finally starting on his once bleak face. Thoughts of the other weres brought happiness.

   "Anyway, Robert constantly reminds me of what will happen if I break my word and tell the others about what I'm doing."

   "Why would the pack care if you're spying for the clan?"

   "It's treason, that's why," Micah admitted, the smile disappearing from his face as soon as it had surfaced. "I'd be shunned from the pack and live alone. I probably wouldn't survive."

   "You don't know that."

   "Toni, trust me on this one thing. I wouldn't make it out there alone."

   I gave him a small shrug. "So, is anyone else being threatened for your secret occupation?"

   "Besides the pack? You, a few of the witches that know who and what I am to the clan."

   I pursed my lips at that. "Like who? Maria?"

   "You mean Maria Day? She's more powerful than you think."

   "I can believe that," I replied, drinking more of the latte, and focusing on what Micah had told me. His family had been killed for the sake of... well, no reason. Typical vampire fashion: kill innocents who've done no wrong.

   "Toni, you know I would never deliberately hurt the people I love," Micah murmured so softly I almost hadn't heard him. I got up from the chair, staring into those orbs of pure, sparking emerald and sighed heavily. "I know." As I turned away, I added, almost to myself. "Do I fit under the category of the people you love?"

A/N: Hope you enjoyed! :D Chapter 23 will be posted in a few days (say the day after tomorrow - AKA Saturday, December 27th) so no long wait at all ;) Please vote + comment if you enjoyed! Hope everyone had a merry Christmas, wherever you are, however you celebrate it! :D

Picture: Tom Welling as Micah Kane!

Song: {One of my favorites!} This Love (Will Be Your Downfall) by Ellie Goulding

*Follow me on Twitter @AuthorRJCity and like the Antoinette Drake, Vampire Hunter official Facebook page - all links found on my Wattpad profile!*

~ Fangs & Kisses ~

MERRY CHRISTMAS! <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

95.8K 5.9K 29
"THE AFTERLIFE CAN BE A REAL BITCH, RIGHT?" "Henri-" I began, but Henri's hand snatched up mine and squeezed tightly enough to break bones. I bit m...
13.5K 1.6K 28
Vampires exist. And they live amongst us, hidden within the shadows and right under our noses. They are beautiful, forbidden beasts; everything I've...
38.6K 2K 53
Book 1 of the Bloodworth Clan Series VAMPIRE~ROMANCE~MYSTERY~LOVE ----- "Whatever." I hissed as I turned around to leave the room, when he grabbed m...
172K 5.9K 22
She began with a hiss. "That worthless creature is my friend. If you lay a hand on him again. I will kill you. " "You will, how?" He seethed. She p...