The Deadly Trials

Por MadisonYuresko

Princes with dark pasts, girls out for vengeance, and creatures with a thirst for blood. These trials may liv... Más

Copyright
summary + aesthetics
«prelude»
1.1 | Invite
1.2 | Invite
2 | Chameleon
3 | Numbered
4 | Hamster on a Wheel
5 | Twelve | rune
6 | Royal Gardener
7 | Melting Sugar
8.1 | Lava
8.2 | Lava
9 | Second Impressions | rune
10 | Fire Wall
12.1 | Splash
12.2 | Splash
13 | Water Droplets | rune
14 | Lightheaded
15 | Cruel Illusions
16 | A Fickle Thing | rune
17 | Tiny Flowers
18 | It's Too Late
19 | Flowers and Light | rune
20 | Named
21 | Abandon
22 | Faerie Hides and Castle Trinkets
23.1 | Fairy Light Festivals
23.2 | Fairy Light Festivals
24 | Reciprocation | rune
25 | Like Snow
26 | Dance
27 | Something Fluttered
28.1 | Then So Shall It Be
28.2 | Then So Shall It Be
29 | Bad Emotions | rune
30 | Heartbeat | Heartbreak
31 | Princess
32 | The Fire's Gone
33 | Simplified
34.1 | A Wish on a Flower
34.2 | A Wish on a Flower
35 | I Could

11 | Rewards

159 16 0
Por MadisonYuresko

// rewards //

Entirely consumed by the fire, I realized too late that I hadn't thought this through. Inside the flames, it was impossible to see. For one, they had a dizzying effect and I was growing lightheaded from it. And for two, the searing heat brought a sting to my eyes, causing them to water. Now everything around me was a blurry mass of dancing orange, red, and yellow.

I stumbled to the ground, shutting my eyes. I wiped my clothes on my face, hoping to dash the tears. But as soon as I opened them, my eyes just started to water again.

My gaze tried to focus and readjust to the brightness, but it was too harsh. I squinted, glancing at the torched ground for a reprieve from the fire.

My lips pursed. Getting lost here was as easy as in the maze. The dizzying dance of the flame churned my stomach. What if I had gotten turned around?

"That flame is well-behaved."

Kit's words continued to jostle around in my brain, offering possibilities of what these flames could do. I knew they wouldn't extinguish, even if I asked politely. But what if?

I stuck my hand in the fire, watching through narrowed, watering eyes as it tickled my skin. Being able to touch fire without being burned was further proof that Eternity was magic.

I squinted up at the edge of the flames. They waved in ribbons of white, purple, and blue. And I knew beyond that, the sky was gold and silver, the perfect marriage of sun and moon.

Even surrounded by fire, Eternity was beautiful.

"Am I heading the right way?" I asked the fire wall.

No response.

Sighing, I pushed loose strands of hair away from my face. I had figured it was a long shot, but a part of me still hoped that the flames were as kind as Kit.

My feet propelled forward at a steady jog. I didn't want to run — I was too thirsty, too sore.

Then, a miracle happened. The flames stopped dancing in that dizzying way — they moved in the same direction, as though pointing me out of the field.

A giggle built in my chest. "Kit, I love you!"

With a burst of energy, I sprinted to the right, following the path of the fire. I wasn't sure if I had just helped everyone else in the blazing field find their way, but I didn't care. Too elated to slow, my feet dug into the parched soil with each step.

I spread my arms out and let my head fall back, eyes closing. For the first time since the start of the Bride Competition, I felt at ease. There was no imminent danger, no fear of getting lost for once. Fingers splayed, I felt the tingle of the flames on my palm and between my fingers. The warmth along my skin was almost like a blanket. I smiled.

My eyes opened and I stared up at the flames that tried to touch the sky.

If this fire were stamped out, I wondered, what would grow here? Would one of those mushroom cap trees take root? Would a garden of black roses bloom instead? Or was the ground too scorched to ever be fertile again, and this would always remain a black tarnish against the magnificent scenery of Eternity?

Then it occurred to me: if none of us won this competition, those coals and these flames would just continue to burn, continue to test the maidens who dared to cross into their folds.

The Prince flashed into my mind again.

I frowned.

Movement to my right pulled my thoughts back to the present. Through the wisps of orange, I could just make out a female form. Relief rumbled in my stomach, happy to see another girl here despite the circumstances.

She drew close enough that I could see details. I recognized her immediately.

Her lip curled into a snarl. "You."

Twenty-one charged at me, gripping my collar. She yanked me toward her so we were nose to nose. Her voice was rough, growling. "How'd you know about the fire?"

I stuttered, "W – what?"

Her glare narrowed, became more forceful. "The fire. How'd you know it wouldn't burn us as long as we didn't let it?"

My heart in my throat, I pawed at her hands at my collar. "I met a pyrokinetic."

Scoffing, she shoved me away, knocking me to the ground.

My voice rose in volume. "He told me the fire's well-behaved. I just took a chance in hoping he was right about this fire too."

I only just noticed the flameless circle that had formed around us, as though the fire had pushed away to make room for us.

Twenty-one looked ready to spit at me from where I sat on the burnt soil. "Liar."

"You think it's impossible to meet a pyrokinetic here? Look around us, twenty-one!" I gestured to the blaze encircling us. "Everything here is impossible!"

Rolling her shoulders back, she pursed her lips. "I know you have everyone here fooled. But not me. I know exactly what you're doing, twelve."

The amount of malice snarled into my number cut like a blade, causing me to wince. She made my number sound like my name, and I despised it.

"You're cheating."

I pressed my lips together, eyebrows furrowing. "Last I recall, cheating isn't against the rules."

Before I could struggle to my feet, a hard blow to my stomach threw me back onto the ground. I groaned, holding my stomach, and then I let out a shaky breath. I curled around myself, squeezing my eyes shut.

"There are no rules against that, either." The sound of her footsteps disappeared, replaced by the crackle of the fire.

I lay there, balled in the fetal position, as I waited for the sharp pains to dull. I knew, with ice-cold certainty, that the longer I stayed here, the more likely I'd come in last — and I'd be eliminated.

Twangs still tightening my stomach, I forced myself to my feet. With a huff, I brushed away the few tears that had fallen.

To my surprise, when the flames closed around me, they pointed me in the right direction again. I breathed my thanks and followed the flow of the fire.

Why was twenty-one against me? Was it because she thought I was cheating? But it had to be more than that. After all, cheating was allowed in this competition. So what had caused her personal vendetta against me?

As I fell into the steady rhythm of right-foot left-foot, I recalled her attitude toward me back at the castle, when I had correctly guessed the King and the Prince. Could it be that she thought I was put into these trials to rig them against everyone, dooming them to lose?

I shook my head, trying to ignore the sweat that rolled down my neck and gathered in my armpits. My stomach panged every once in a while, slowing my steps.

I wasn't a false player. I was fighting to win, just like everyone else here. No matter what twenty-one thought of me, I would make it to the end. But something told me she would make these trials even more difficult for me.

Panting, my body started to ache. My eyes hurt from the intense glare of the fire. My mouth had gone dry a while ago, but now my throat stung. I was thirsty and hot and exhausted — and I wasn't anywhere near the end yet.

To protect my eyes for just a moment, I squeezed them shut. They burned and scratched, hot tears rolling down my cheeks. My steps slowed, just in case I got off-track.

I opened my eyes again, blinking against the assault of bright light. I straightened back out, following the flames. Despite the protests of my body, I thrust into a sprint.

Between the shafts of fire, I thought I could make out a dark figure. But I blinked and it disappeared, so it must have been my eyes playing tricks on me.

My foot caught on something, throwing me forward. I fell hard on my knees, rolling to a stop on the ground. A groan escaped my mouth.

"I'm so sorry!"

I squinted at the thing that had tripped me: another girl crouched on the torched soil, face stained with mascara tracks and mud.

"I got lost and I can't see in here." Her voice quivered like her bottom lip.

"No harm—" I pulled in a sharp breath as I sat up—"no foul."

My knees were scraped and bleeding, and my twisted knee protested any movement.

She cried, the tears steaming as they dripped off her chin.

With a pout, I reached out and patted her leg. "It'll be alright. Just keep fighting, keep going."

She scoffed and, through her tears, clipped, "This isn't some inspirational movie. This is hell, and I just want it to end."

"Don't say that." The thought of elimination was fresh in my mind. "If you stop here, you may never be able to get back home, see your family." My throat closed on the last word.

She continued to cry but she nodded. Afraid of losing too much more time, I ruffled her hair in reassurance and struggled to my feet to continue on.

Now my knees throbbed, and my speed was slowed by the limp in my steps. I clenched my teeth, grinding through all the aches and stings and burns. I couldn't stop despite my growing thirst and pleading lungs.

One second I was surrounded by the orange, yellow, and red of the flames — the next, I saw gold and silver skies, green grass and plants, and hazy mountains in the distance.

My mouth went slack and my eyes shut as I collapsed onto the soft grass. I never thought I would be so happy to be among the vegetation again. A smile pulled at my lips as I sank farther into the ground, curling about myself.

There was no else around, but that didn't mean much. The only thing that mattered to me at that moment was I had made it. I had survived another trial.

I relished in the feeling for a bit.

And then a shadow darkened the light behind my eyelids and announced, "Congratulations. You completed this round first. Would you like to collect your rewards?" 

Seguir leyendo

También te gustarán

3.3M 139K 40
Her presence was once one that enamoured the masses. A beautiful young princess whose destiny seemed to be set in a life of royal balls and princes. ...
12.5K 5.3K 37
Unknown to the average human world, there is a place where every supernatural being that fuels nightmares resides. Shielded completely from prying ey...
1.3K 347 29
She was just a normal girl, Then her world shattered. The death of her mother : who looks and deceives even her own daughter to think she was human. ...
10K 318 60
A family, full of deceitful maniacs... A kingdom ruled by tyranny, yet the people aren't aware... A story full of lies and deceit, woven to manipulat...