Harpers Quest Two- Beyond the...

By Charmsp1

This is the continuation on from Harpers Quest One- it is taken about a year later When the Band attend the... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six.
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty -Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty -Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty-One
Epilogue

Chapter Seventeen

19 1 0
By Charmsp1

Sithicus- The Demiplane of Dread- Kythorn 1373

"So there's our objective" said Trias the next morning as the party stood atop a hill looking over the tower/monolith whatever it was that Mendis had been referring to.
"What is that?" Liarna asked shuddering as she felt the menace emanating from it.
"That is our goal" said Trias "that is what Mendis and I saw yesterday".
Josalyn said "Jondalar and I didn't know what to find" she lowered her head "poor Jondalar" she adjusted her pin which she was wearing.
Trias looked at the rest of the group and said, "well I guess we go down and meet our fate".
Josalyn nodded, she turned to the rest of the party "thank you for rescuing me".
Mendis nodded "it was the right thing to do" he reached under his shirt and pinned his pin to the outside of his shirt "together we stand Josalyn and together we shall triumph".
Meriel who had been praying quietly, made a gesture and suddenly another earth elemental appeared "we may need it" she said.
Jack said "Hang a sec" he made a couple of gestures and twenty skeletal warriors stood there "we may need their help" he said.
"Want me to summon more?" K'hari asked as when they had come out that morning they had found that the bear and the stag skeleton were still there as well as three other skeletal warriors.
Trias looked at their group and said, "what we have should be enough, we have 23 skeleton warriors, a bear and a stag skeleton and an earth elemental along with a Dragon, no I think we are fine and besides I don't really like this summoning of Undead especially here in Sithicus".
"I could probably supply some bats and rats" Narache offered "can also do wolves, though it is daylight my powers are weakened during the day".
"No" said Trias.
"How about a couple of ghouls then? I could do two ghouls" said Narache.
Trias shuddered "Uh no thanks, er thanks for your offer Narache I can handle skeletons but Ghouls that's drawing the line, ghastly creatures!"
"Ok" said Narache "now if you all excuse me I'm going into vampire mode, I fight better that way and I think we may need it".
Jack nodded "I'm going Corporeal I can't cast much of my combat spells otherwise or fight" Jack shuddered slightly and he looked solid and pulled out his mace "Narache and I will go first see what is waiting down there for us".
"Agreed" Narache said, Trias shuddered at the transformation that had come over Narache, Narache had grown claws, fangs and seemed more feral somehow and his eyes glowed slightly, he knew that Narache was a vampire but somehow he found it hard to connect the usually serious and somewhat sad and tormented Elf, whose kindness and goodness shone out behind his sad silver eyes to this feral looking creature with fangs and claws.
Narache said "we will go down and see what is down there as there is something down there I can smell the blood I will send a light bolt from my blade, that is our signal ok? Come down then".
Josalyn looked at Narache in amazement "you really are a vampire!"
"Hmm yeah" said Narache "unfortunately the longer I remain on this plane the more my darker side shows through I really hate it here! The Undead will follow Jack and me, we can't help that, they automatically come under our control, seeing the two of us are both pretty powerful Undead and together we are stronger here".
"Not just here" Jack added "we are the Bands secret weapon, noone expects to find two such powerful undead working on the side of light, like Narache said we will go down first see what is waiting there for us and then we will send you a signal the rest of you come then we're gonna need your help and damn it Baldur! Put your holy symbol away!" as Narache let out what sounded like a growl low in his throat and turned away, Jack said "come when we signal ok?"
"Ok" said Varharland.
The pair walked down the hill followed by the skeletal warriors, and the bear and the stag, Slayer, Grace noticed had started to glow as she detected Undead.
Trias turned to Varharland "are those two really going to be Ok?"
"I hope so" said Varharland "they are both strong but even they can get overwhelmed".
Trias said "Narache! The transformation he has undergone it's. . it's I don't know!"
Var said "they do it all the time, just keep out of his way ok? It is not like he will hurt you intentionally, Narache has too much goodness in him to ever become evil but he can be dangerous in vamp mode as sometimes he goes into Blood Frenzy and you really don't want to be anywhere near him when that happens!"
Trias said " I pity him, really I do, I wish there was a way we could lift the vampire curse off him it is a wonder he hasn't gone crazy".
Varharland said "Narache lives with the darker side of his personality every day of his life; I think he has gone a little mad, who wouldn't! Having to live with such a curse like that, he is tormented and you can see it in his eyes, the pain, the suffering he endures it is cruel that Fate has paid such a cruel trick on him on someone with such a beautiful soul inside him, even tortured and pain wracked as it is. Narache has way too much goodness, too much love and too much honour in him to ever turn evil, he doesn't believe that though, poor guy he lacks the confidence in his own self!"
"Are you sure there is no way he could ever turn evil?" Trias asked.
"None at all, he is not fully good but he will never turn evil, yes his soul has taken a beating but he is stronger than he realises, that light in his soul refuses to go out. Narache will never turn evil but one day he may tire of the struggle and the pain he has to endure and give himself over to the final death, just to get peace, but he has too much of a love of life to do that anytime soon" Varharland said "do not fear for him Trias, he is who he is".

"And Jack? What of him?"
"Jacks a hard one what goes on between Jack and his God is between Jack and his God! I don't think Jack started off as he is now" Varharland said "Jack is a hard one to read, I trust him enough though he has never hurt anyone in the Band and he and Narache have become firm friends not to mention are a formidable team".
"Ok" said Trias.

Narache and Jack moved down towards the pillar/tower of stone noticing that the closer they got to it the more they slowed down and time slowed around them.
"This is weird" Jack said, "I feel like I a moving in slow motion"
"We are" said Narache quietly "stay with me Jack I think we are in some danger here".
"You don't have to tell me that" said Jack "let's go".
Narache looked at Jack at his side; he and Jack were a dangerous pair to put together as both of them were Greater Undead and rather powerful.
Jack pulled Narache down, Narache shuddered at Jacks ice cold touch, even he was warmer than that!
"Sorry but look at that" Jack apologised.
Narache nodded "we are in trouble" as they could both see that there were some pretty powerful undead guarding the stone which was clear wasn't just a stone as two Skeleton lords stood out the front.
"Spells" Jack said, " those guys usually have spells, usually lightning bolts there is also a Skeleton Knight and several wraiths along with your usual ghasts, ghouls and Skeletons and the fact that time has slowed also adds to the danger spells won't go off as fast but it also means that they are slowed".
"Hmm good point" said Narache "yep we definitely have a fight here".
"Precisely my reasoning" Jack said 'there are also Darken beasts above us as well" he indicated some flyers they could just see.
Narache said "ok let's go kick some arse!"
"Are you sure you're up to this?"
"Yep" said Narache "don't worry about me Jack in Vamp mode I'm pretty much unstoppable and feral".
"We could try to turn or control most of the lesser Undead and I could try for the Greater Undead as you probably won't be able to".
"Not during the daylight" said Narache "however I might be able to seeing it is endless night at the moment".
"OK" said Jack "we try it then?"
"You bet" said Narache.
The two friends did a high five with each other and pulled out their weapons both went forward avoiding the lightning bolt trap that went off from the tower/monolith, it went through Jack and Narache's raised blades absorbed most of it, the Bladesinger drew his other blade and raised it as a lightning bolt shot out of it, making Jack's aura flare up in its fully blue fire glory, as his electrical aura reacted to the lightning bolt, fully flared up the aura that surrounded Jack was quite spectacular, Jack stood back and raised his holy symbol and started to walk forward calling on his God.
Narache also used his own skills to control Undead getting them to attack each other instead of him and Jack all done in slow motion.
Mendis watching from the hill yelled out "that's the symbol!" as slowed by the strange slowing time around them had delayed the bolt somewhat.
Meriel came up his staff on the ready "let's go then!" she said.
Var drew his Sunblade and said, "I have a feeling we may need it".
Caldon said "so what do I do?"
Mendis said "Ideally I rather you stayed well out of the way but I know you won't" he indicated Darkstar "protect him then, Dark is our mage he is vulnerable when he is casting a spell".
"That's right protect the mage!" Caldon muttered.
"You know I can fight Mendis if I need to" said Darkstar.
Mendis nodded "I know Darkstar but you are still the most vulnerable out of us all apart from Caldon, Caldon did well in watching your back before, he can do so again, you and Caldon are the most vulnerable so you need each other".
Darkstar said "you are not a fighter, nor is Meriel".
"Yes but we can fight" said Mendis "Caldon is inexperienced and you are a mage, you need each other".
Caldon said "Ok I will protect the mage".
"Good" said Varharland "let's go!"
Darkstar looked at Caldon and shrugged "usually it is Dinan who is protecting me, so I guess we follow at our own pace".
Caldon nodded " yeah" he pulled out his bow and moved in front of Darkstar if he had to protect him he would make sure it was done right.
"Ok" said Caldon as the two of them started to head down, Darkstar gripping his staff.
Darkstar said "here Cal take a stone skin it will protect you".
"huh?"
Darkstar cast a spell on Caldon and then frowned "dam your magic resistance! Here I will try again" a few seconds later Caldon felt the unmistakable tingle of magic.
"Didn't think I had any magic resistance" he said.
"I think it is your armour" said Darkstar.
"Oh" said Caldon.
Darkstar and Caldon walked down instantly becoming aware of how much time had slowed.
"How am I going to fire my bow" said Caldon noticing his words seemed slowed as well.
Darkstar said "hang on" he paused and cast a 'haste' spell on Caldon "that should help".
"Ok" said Caldon "what was that?"
"Haste" Darkstar said "time has slowed down here so you need to be hasted to even operate properly".
"Ok" said Caldon pulling out his bow.
"Hmm who else needs my haste spell?" Darkstar said he looked around than noticing something he chanted something and cast it on other party members "got to memorise that one again" he muttered as he also cast a spell on himself and continued forward "let's do this!" he took his staff from where he had it over his shoulder and motioned to Caldon he moved in and attacked the skeletons that came for him.
"Use you sword Caldon, bows aren't that much good against Skeletons, a blunt weapon of some sort is even better" Darkstar called noticing how slow the Skeletons were walking towards them time was indeed slowed here "good Lordy!" he said, holding his staff high as a magical bolt of light came for him it hit his staff and avoided him (good old Harper pin!) and rebounded back at half strength as Darkstar's staff absorbed the brunt of it, he then continued to attack the Skeletons with considerable skill, unlike most mages Darkstar preferred not to stay at the back of a party casting spells it was not uncommon the see the Drow mage in the thick of battle fighting with one of his staves, Darkstar admitted to not been as competent a fighter as his twin Dinan, but Darkstar could fight and do so with good skill.
Caldon looked in amazement at the Drow mage, Darkstar was fighting in the thick of it, apparently unfazed and was fighting with his staff, just as Darkstar chucked a firebolt behind Caldon, Caldon heard a groan and looked and saw a ghoul drop which had been sneaking up behind him.
"Never freeze in the midst of battle" Darkstar warned "or stand still with your back to anything Caldon" he chucked another firebolt and spun around and attacked again.
Caldon felt shamed here was a mage who could fight better than he could!
"Caldon get behind me!" Darkstar called "back me up that way! Together we can work as a team we can kick butt!"
Caldon said "the Mage protect the fighter?"
"You are not a fighter yet Caldon! Your just a kid on his first adventure and somewhat inexperienced! I'm 89 years old! And I have been around a little longer now get behind me!"
Caldon did so as Darkstar thrashed another ghoul and then shot a bolt out of his staff as two others both exploded into evil smelling pieces, Caldon winced.
"Now that was a good one!" said Darkstar shooting another at two skeletons which imploded, Darkstar was thankful for his Drow made magical armour.
Caldon fired his bow into two ghasts coming towards them as Darkstar readied another firebolt.
Darkstar said "use you magic a little more Caldon" as he readied a magic missile.
Caldon nodded and fired one of his magical arrows that Mendis had given him, Mendis due to his magical quiver had an unlimited supply of several different kinds of magical arrows, he only had to put one type in and it automatically copied it.
"Good idea" said Darkstar as he chucked another magic missile and went in and attacked another pair of ghouls, grateful for the elven immunity to their paralysing touch he attacked and then pulled back as they fell down.
Caldon covered the mage with his bow firing arrows into the ghouls that were coming for them.
"Eilistraee give me strength" Darkstar muttered in Drow and then started to attack with his staff as Caldon came in using his bow.
Darkstar was constantly moving, seeing he was hasted and the ghouls weren't it gave him time to hit them, but Caldon also noticed he wasn't using his staff all the time, he was also using his fists and feet, fighting dirty.
A flaming arrow came out the sky, and Caldon looked up and saw Mendis hovering with his bow and firing, Mendis flew over and fired more arrows down on the ghouls.
Caldon watched awed at the display than remembered Darkstar's words he pulled out his sword and went in, noticing that Darkstar had switched to scimitars which he was also using with decent skill.
"Good work!" Caldon called out to his brother as Darkstar took the final one out, seeing that they were clear of foes at the moment.
Darkstar said "that was some fight!" as Mendis landed and went to his brother's side, Mendis noticed that Darkstar's eyes were glowing red and he seemed exhilarated.
"You Ok?" he asked his little brother.
"He's fine Mendis" Darkstar said "the two of us can take on whatever we face!"
Mendis nodded and indicated the dead ghouls "impressive".
"Thankyou" said Darkstar putting his swords away and pulled out his staff "let's go kick some more butt shall we?"
Mendis said " thanks for the haste spell".
Darkstar said "time has slowed here with haste on you, you move at normal pace; however we should take advantage of it whilst it is up".
"Ok" said Mendis as the moved forward.
"Watch out for the skeleton lord" Darkstar said "they cast lightning bolts".
"Pardon?"
"Skeleton Lords" Darkstar said indicating the tall Skeleton wearing a winged helm and ornate armour " there are two of them, I don't think they know we are here yet though but they soon will, seeing they are as slowed as we were it will give us time to react when they see us".
"Ok" said Mendis "want me to handle them, I can absorb lighting remember?"
Darkstar said "we are all going to have to help those guys are tough Mendis" he indicated the other minions "we have to deal with them first!" as Meri's earth elemental attacked some zombies.
"Ok" said Mendis amazed at Darkstar's knowledge of battle strategies.
Darkstar said "I've been trained as a Battle- Mage Mendis" he paused and then said "here goes! Arganzners Scorcher!" leaning on his staff he raised his hand and cast a line of fire out of his fingers into the group of zombies and ghouls.
"Good work!" Mendis said hovering overhead than landing and said, "let's go kick some butt!"
"I thought we already were" said Darkstar quietly as they went forward.
Caldon pulled out his sword "let's go!"
Mendis nodded and flew forward, Darkstar watched him go admiring at the ease and grace with which Mendis could move through the air, he was an accomplished flyer alright, Mendis backed up and fired his bow down onto the fray his wings beating strongly in his wake.
He had spent many a year perfecting his flying skills and now actually fought better from the air than from the ground as he sometimes admitted his wings got in the way in a packed melee situation and enemies tended to grab them to stop him from moving.
Mendis flew his chakram than cast a firebolt out of his hands using his Pyrokinetic powers at what Darkstar recognised as a blade skeleton whose arms had been magically turned into long blades.
Mendis's chakram came back to Mendis grip as he threw it again than somersaulting he dove in with his now ignited sword.
"Gosh Mendis can move!" Caldon said.
"Yeah" Darkstar agreed "he can".
"He's good" said Caldon.
"Yeah" said Darkstar as he shot another bolt out of his staff.
"Wish I could fight like that" said Caldon enviously.
"Give yourself time and a chance to grow up a bit, it will come with time and experience" said Darkstar as he cast another spell and then spun around and cast another, then raised his staff and attacked, Caldon followed.
"Good moves" Darkstar said approving.
"You think so?"
"Yep" said Darkstar coming down with his staff.
Caldon nodded "thanks".
Darkstar pulled Caldon back as he suddenly realised that they were now in range and plain sight of the skeletal lords having eradicated everything on their way through.
Caldon asked "do they know we're here yet?"
Darkstar frowned "I can't tell it is probably because time has slowed and they haven't yet noticed us yet, Cal get behind me and drink this potion it will protect you from lightning".
Caldon unstoppered it and sniffed it and asked, "what is it?"
"Just drink it" he said.
Caldon shrugged and did so grimacing at the bitter taste as Darkstar prepared to cast another spell, Darkstar eyed their enemies and then pulled out a potion in a bright yellow bottle and threw it with all him might at the Skeleton Lords watching as it tumbled top over bottom and hit the steps.
Caldon gasped as Darkstar pulled him back with a surprising strong grip, Caldon watched as two lightning bolts shot at them and a ring of fire surrounded them.
Up above Mendis flew right into them and fired his bow, Caldon said "he'll be hit!"
"Mendis's pin will protect him" Darkstar said.
"Huh?"
"Our Harper pins" Darkstar explained "it makes us pretty much immune to magical lighting it is one of its enchantments".
"You mean their magical!" Caldon asked remembering the beautifully made pins that both Mendis and Meriel wore.
"Yeah" said Darkstar.
"You know your just told me your allegiance" Caldon remmarked as Darkstar erected a shield that shielded both him and Caldon, Darkstar had altered a globe of Invulnerability spell to make it mobile and to cover two people.
Darkstar said "I assumed that you already knew that I was a Harper, I mean we aren't exactly been semi-secret at the moment".
"Well yeah I guess I did but I'm surprised that you admitted it".
"I trust you Caldon a Harpers trust is his word, word of advice though, years from now, do not turn down help from the Harpers if it is offered but do not try to pry into one to much as well, our secrecy is our security".
"Yeah" said Caldon.
"Stand behind me Caldon I'm about to cast one of my most powerful spells at that critter and I don't want you caught in the backlash".
"Huh?'
"Clingfire Storm" he replied.
"Oh" said Caldon.
Darkstar smiled and walked forward with Caldon behind him and made a gesture he pointed his hands at the skeleton lord and cast, Caldon noticed he wasn't using spell components clearly it was one of his sorcerer spells would he be able to do that one day? A ball of white fire shot from Darkstar's hands and although slowed it hit the skeleton lord squarely leaving it blackened and burning but still moving.
"It didn't destroy it" said Caldon.
"These guys are pretty tough" Darkstar said "it's wounded though and Clingfire hangs around until it runs out of fuel or is dispelled, it can't be put out any other way it is why it is called Clingfire".
"Could you teach me that?" Caldon asked.
"It is one of my spells I have as a sorcerer not as a mage so no I can't, Caldon your gotta understand your gift the one you share with me and Var, it does not come from book learning it is within you as a Sorc your power is inborn, Much like Mendis's powers are you never get as powerful as a mage but we can cast more spells more often you're a Sorc like me you might gain it, you might not".
"OH" said Caldon "but you are also a wizard aren't you?"
To a point yes, but my power is my inborn magic I'm more Sorc than I'm Mage it has always been that way with me. Granted I do use a spellbook of sorts and some of my spells are book learnt but I'm a Sorcerer like you are which is one of th reasons why I have never been able to teach Magnus some of my Drow spells because I have them as a Sorc not a mage! Darkstar said "hmm let's give the Skeleton lord a taste of his own medicine! Where did my Wand go?" he reached into his belt and pulled out a wand, aimed it at the Skeleton and fired.
Caldon jumped back as a bolt of lightning streaked out of the wand into the skeleton lord blowing it up.
"Gotcha!"Darkstar said "now let's work on the other one!"
"Ok" said Caldon "um how do I aim my magic better?"
"What spells do you know?"
"Not many, Sleep, Magic Missile, ray of frost, the cantrip one that is and couple of other Cantrips, I also know Grease".
"Grease wouldn't work that well Cal; rely on your missiles they do more damage".
"Well Ok" said Caldon "I feel weird casting magic openly though I have always hidden it".
"There is no need to" said Darkstar "follow my lead" the Drow Sorcerer made a couple more gestures and threw some firebolts at the Skeleton Lord getting its attention "Yo! Ugly! Aim that lightening here you big bag of bones!"
"Darkstar! You'll get us fried! Or killed!" Caldon said terrified and a little concerned for Darkstar's behaviour, he noticed that the Drow Sorcerers eyes were glowing red at the moment.
Darkstar said "trust me Caldon! Just get behind me".
"But you'll get us killed!"
"Trust me" said Darkstar, he stood there and raised his staff above his head and taunted "Yo! Big, bony and ugly come and get me!" he swung his staff around and aimed it at the Skeleton Lord and a bolt of fire shot out of it, hitting said Skeleton Lord which instantly turned and faced them, Darkstar lowered his staff and hissed to Caldon "stay behind me Cal for here it comes! My shield, pin and potions and the spells I have put on us both should protect us from the lightning bolt if this works I will rebound the bolt back at him".
"Ok" said Caldon "and if it don't?"
"It will" said Darkstar confidently.
Needless to say the Skeleton Lord chucked a lightning bolt at him and Caldon, Darkstar stood his ground holding his staff in front of him as the bolt hit the shield that surrounded them, it bounced off it, Darkstar's staff flashed and before Caldon's amazed eyes the bolt hit the top of the staff making the crystal on top of it flash with a brilliant silver white light that engulfed both him and Darkstar in its light.
Caldon closed his eyes but Darkstar cried out in pain and covered his own eyes and fell to his knees hands over his eyes moaning in pain, before Caldon's dazzled vision he saw what looked like a huge mirror come up in front of them, the bolt rebounded on it and hit the Skeleton Lord blowing it to pieces.
Bones and shrapnel flew all around them, bouncing off the shield that he and Darkstar were under not harming either of them, Caldon threw himself on the ground beside the kneeling mage who was huddled up moaning in pain, hands covering his eyes.
Caldon looked and saw that he and the Mage were blessedly free of enemies at the moment, worried and concerned for the Drow Sorcerer, who appeared totally unable to do anything at the moment.
"Darkstar!" Caldon asked hoping he was ok "you alright?"
"My eyes! Their burning!" Darkstar said lifting his eyes which at the moment looked dazzled "I can't see Caldon! Darn I forgot how sensitive my eyes were! Darn my Dark Elf Heritage!" he reached into his belt pouch and pulled out a pair of dark spectacles and put them on.
"You're blind?" Caldon asked horrified thinking that was so unfair! he had just saved both their lives and their friends!
Darkstar smiled weakly "don't sound so scared Caldon! I have just flash blinded myself! It's only temporary, doesn't mean it hurts any less though! I'll be fine in a little bit, all I can see at the moment is dancing spots! Ye Gads that hurt! Times like this I get rudely reminded that I'm a Drow Elf! I should have put my spectacles on before I cast the spell! Here help me up".
Caldon did so "you going to be ok?"
Darkstar nodded "are we safe?"
"Relatively" said Caldon "most of the big stuff is gone you blew the Skeleton Lord up, what was that spell!"
"Mirror Deflection" Darkstar replied " it bounces off the victim and back onto the caster, it is one of the abilities of my staff" Darkstar offered out his arm " you're going to have to guide me Caldon I still can't see too well".
"Ok" said Caldon.
Darkstar said "I saw a door into the pillar before we came here somewhere" he felt around, Caldon worried for the mages safety tried to help.
"Aha!" said Darkstar pulling out some lockpicks and pushing on the door.
"What if it is trapped?" Caldon asked.
Darkstar shook his head "not trapped just wiz locked and warded" Darkstar muttered some words and aimed it at the door which Caldon could just see, he was even amazed that the mage knew it was there seeing he couldn't see at the moment.
"Gotcha!" said Darkstar, he felt around and then picked the lock.
"Where you learn to pick locks?" Caldon asked.
"I grew up in Skullport" said Darkstar "I learnt how, I don't have the skill that Tev and Mendis have, and I couldn't disarm a trap if my life depended on it but I know a wiz lock when I see one" Darkstar picked the lock and stood back as a lightning bolt whooshed past them.
"See! Told you I couldn't disarm a trap if my life depended on it" Darkstar said "I think it is safe to enter now".
"I'm even amazed that you were able to do that, seeing your blind at the moment" Caldon said.
"I'm a Drow, we're taught to use our other senses" Darkstar said simply as he and Caldon stepped inside, Darkstar couldn't see much at the moment as his eyes were still dazzled, all he could see was light and shadows, but his keen ears caught Caldon's astonished gasp.
"Caldon what do you see?" he asked.
"Uh" Caldon said sounding awed "you oughta see this place!"
"What do you see?" Darkstar repeated.
"It's amazing!"
"Caldon? What do you see?"
Caldon said "er sorry Darkstar I forgot your blind at the moment".
"My vision is starting to come back I can see fuzzy indistinct shapes and shadows now, give me another hour or so and I'll be fine but until then I'm pretty much blind so what you see?"
"You oughta see this place! It is really weird! There's stairs going off in all sorts of weird directions and positions! And far above us is this weird globe thingy! It's kind of pretty, seems to be rotating".
"Then that is what is probably causing the slowed time and the darkness".
This is awesome! say! Wonder if I can hit it with my bow!" Caldon said.
Darkstar noticed that the fuzzy shape in front of him was probably Caldon, then the shape moved and pulled out something and lifted it up to fire it.
Darkstar put a firm hand on his shoulder "no" he said gently yet firmly.
"Why not?" Caldon asked amazed that Darkstar had even realised it was him and was quite surprised at the strength behind the slender, black skinned long fingered hand that held his shoulder in a firm but gentle grip and realised then that Darkstar was no weak mage, with plenty of brains but no brawn, he had both.
Darkstar adjusted the small Drow pistol crossbow and bandolier he wore and said, "not a good idea we do not know what will happen" he released Caldon and took charge "signal the others this is what we should do see if we can get them all in here then we will deal with the globe, Cal look out of the door, can you see anyone?"
Caldon did so "yes I can see Mendis, and Whatisname? The Dwarf and your brother, Geez you two look alike!"
"We're Identical twins!" Darkstar said with a chuckle "of course we look alike! And Dwarf is Baldur try to signal them and get them to come here" he paused "your gonna have to be my eyes at the moment Caldon, mine aren't working so good at the moment".
"I hope it is not permanent" said Caldon soberly.

"It's not! But all I can see at the moment is indistinct shapes and shadows, twas stupid of me to do that; I should have put my shades on before I cast my spell! But I confess I sometimes forget that although the surface world's light usually doesn't bother me overmuch I still do have that hereditary weakness that all my people have and always will regardless of how long I live on the surface; my eyes will always have a sensitivity to the light!"
** Darkstar where the blazes are you! ** came Dinan's Telepathic voice.
** I'm in the tower! Get your butt over here! ** Darkstar replied ** bring the others with you I think we have found our goal **.

** In the pillar? **
** Caldon and I opened the door you will see it as you come up we're both inside it ** Darkstar said ** Time is running normally in here **.
**Ok ** Dinan killed the last opponent then yelling to the others he ran for the pillar and within moment, he and the rest of the party were inside it, Caldon pulled a lever and the door shut, shutting out the ghouls and the zombies and the Skeletons that were trying to follow them in, the last one in was Meri's Earth elemental, of the stag, the bear and the zombies and skellies that Jack had summoned there was no sign.
"Dinan!" said Darkstar "where are you?"
"Right here" said Dinan noticing that his twin was wearing dark glasses.
"Where?" Darkstar asked.
"Here in front of you! you Ok?" Dinan asked.
"He's blind" said Caldon.
Dinan looked at his twin in alarm "as if you haven't got enough trouble with your eyes as it is! how?"
"I stupidly flash blinded myself when casting a spell" Darkstar replied "don't worry it will pass it is only temporary, just annoying my vision will come back but all I can see at the moment is blurred shapes and shadows".
Dinan took his brothers arm "Hay I thought I was the one who did silly things like that! you're the smart one remember?"
Darkstar chuckled "yeah well I will be fine my eyes just aren't; working so good at the moment".
"Oh" said Dinan.
"Don't worry Din" he said he looked up "Caldon says that there is some sort of globe up there? Far up?"
Dinan looked and frowned and lowered his own eyes "Ooh! That is bright!" he pulled on his own dark glasses, shuddering slightly at the light "yep that is right it is kinda too bright for either of us to look at comfortably though!"
Darkstar nodded and looked up himself "all I can see is light and shadow at the moment".
Dinan said "there is some sort of globe up there though a bright one, neither of us would be able to look at it comfortably".
Trias shielding his own eyes said "The Drow's right what do you make of this place?"
Mendis looked around stunned at the sheer weirdness of it all around them were balconies and doors and steps leading out from them at odd angles and positions, some just went nowhere it made his head spin just at the sight of it and above them all was this huge globe of light that was only comfortable to look at if you shielded your eyes and even then only for a few seconds, no wonder the three Drow looked uncomfortable as Callina has also pulled on her shades.
"This is weird" said Meriel.
Skyla who was in Dragon form spoke shielding her own eyes "This reminds me of a painting I saw once of this room with stairs going everywhere and nowhere".
"It does?" Darkstar asked he removed his glasses and rubbed his eyes they noticed then that the Drow sorcerers large golden eyes at the moment were unfocused and dazed looking, he probably couldn't see anything!
"You ok Darkstar?" Mendis asked remembering that the Drow twins were prone to be affected by bright lights and loud noises.
Darkstar nodded and replaced his glasses "I'm fine I just can't see anything at the moment, my sight is coming back it is not permanent".
Mendis said "Caldon says you cast a spell, killed a Skel Lord, found your way to the tower door, found it, picked the lock and avoided a trap without been able to see! That is pretty amazing!"
"I'm a Drow! We are taught to use our other senses, I can fight and cast blindfolded if I need too" Darkstar said "I'll be fine" he walked forward "so what comes next?"
"Pick a staircase? Any staircase?" Dinan suggested.
Darkstar shook his head " that won't work Dinan this is clearly a maze or a test of some sort I think we have to focus on our goal, which is that globe up there and find the staircase to it, let our instincts guide us, don't think, feel!"
"Use the Force Luke" Varharland quipped "use the Force".
"Huh?" several asked.
"Soz couldn't resist" Varharland said with a chuckle.
"Where do you get those strange phrases?" Meriel asked.
Varharland said "they just come to me" he looked around "this is a maze of some sort, a test, I think we have to solve its route, I think Drizzt is right".
"Drizzt!?" Josalyn asked looking at Darkstar then "your Drizzt Do'Urden? I didn't think he had a twin, knew he had a brother but I didn't think he was a twin" she looked at Dinan and Darkstar who at the moment looked very much alike.
Darkstar smiled "no I'm not Drizzt Do'Urden and Dinan is not Dinin Do'Urden, Drizzt is a ranger not a Mage and is considerably older than Dinan and I are, my name is Drizzt Arcarna, this is my twin Dinan Arcarna, our mother named me for Drizzt Do'Urden as an inspiration and Dinan for Dinin Do'Urden as a warning. It was meant as an inspiration as to how to live our lives and to keep to our ideals, Drizzt Do'Urden is one of the people we most admire, but due to that I use the name Darkstar, so I won't be mistaken for the esteemed and somewhat legendary Drow Ranger from the Icewind Dales".
"You mean you aren't renegades?" Josalyn asked.
"Not all non-evil surface dwelling Drow are renegades" Darkstar said "my brother, sister and I grew up in Skullport. Our mother is a priestess of Eilistraee as is our sister, our father is a renegade Drow mage, we were born of a marriage of love, and we have a family who loves us and a little sister who adores us! We lived near the promenade of Eilistraee in Skullport, we have spent a good bit of our 80 plus years on or near the surface, we have never lived in a Drow city! And are avid followers of Eilistraee, but seeing it is a matriarchal order we are not priests within it, but we worship her, we serve her and follow her ideals in the only way we can" he pulled out a amulet he wore around his neck, it was the symbol of Eilistraee " and in doing so we have attracted her favour, our sister Olarae or Rae as she prefers to be called is a novice priestess in the Order, so Josalyn remember this for future reference that not all good Drow are renegades some of us, just follow Eilistraee, we are considered outcasts amongst the Drow but quite frankly we don't give a damn!"
"Oh it is just unusual to meet two male Drow on the surface world who isn't evil and isn't a renegades" she said "let alone twins!"
Dinan chuckled "hmm we do kind of standout don't we? Twins are rare amongst elves, Drow included!"
"Who's the eldest?"
"Oddly enough I am!" said Darkstar "we're identical twins though, and mirror twins at that, I'm left-handed, Dinan is right handed".
"Only by about ten minutes!" Dinan retorted good naturedly.
"I'm still older!" said Darkstar "although sometimes it feels like ten years!"
"Yeah, yeah".
"You're a little rash at times" Darkstar said.
"And who's the one who stupidly flash blinded himself hmm?" Dinan asked not been able to resist teasing his twin about that.
"I never said I was perfect" Darkstar said.
Josalyn chuckled as she listened to their banter, they really did sound like siblings and observed them, both were good looking, typically Drow of course but still good looking.
Both stood a compact, wiry 5.4, with the smooth, black skin of their race, the long white hair (Darkstar wore his longer than Dinan) both had classically elven features (high cheekbones, pointed ears, chiselled features etc. . .) their eyes were a little larger than a surface elf's with the classically elven slant and an astonishing golden colour, they were definitely handsome by most race's standards.
What a good looking pair of men she thought, they were dressed similarly although Darkstar was in dark blue and black and wearing a shirt of black elven made chain under his shirt and it was clearly Drow made and probably heavily enchanted, Dinan was in a similar set of chain only more of it, and over it all he wore a dark brown and tan tabard, he looked every inch the Drow warrior, clearly Dinan was the warrior and Darkstar was it appeared something of a warrior-mage, Josalyn thought that if she still hadn't been so torn up over Jondalar, she wouldn't have minded or had said no if one or both Drow twins had offered to share her bed, but man! They were sure hunks!
Darkstar said "let's go solve this puzzle huh?"
"Your blind!" Dinan pointed out.
"My sight is a lot better now" said Darkstar "I can make out shapes now, I can actually more or less see you now".
"Good so what do you make of this Bro" Dinan asked.
Varharland walked up "I think Darkstar is right, and I feel that it is this staircase nearest to us I think that is the one we are meant to take".
"How can you be so sure?" Baldur asked.
"It just feels right!" said Varharland.
Baldur tugged his beard a sign of nervousness they had come to recognise in him "let me cast a spell then one that might give us more of a clue".
Dinan asked "you can do that?"
"He's a Cleric of course he can!" Varharland said "go ahead Baldur".
Baldur nodded and grumbled "you were all going to dig in and go unguided, typical, bloody Elves! No wonder you need me!"
Varharland said "go on".
Baldur prayed to his God and looked around a bit and nodded "yep your instincts appear to be correct Sir Eladrin, that is indeed the way we go".
"Thanks" said Varharland.
"I git the impression though we jist keep goin up! We be stickin to the path and we get to our goal" Baldur said shouldering his warhammer he had carried that warhammer and his axe apparently unhampered the entire time they had been here 'Moradin's flame' he called it, it appeared that like most Dwarves, Baldur was very attached to his weapons "we follow the path and keep goin" Baldur said, "I go first and I not be waitin if ye all fall behind".
Liarna protested "that's unfair! Darkstar is blind!"
"Baldur Battlehammer waits for noone!" he said walking up the first set of stairs "there's killin to be done, and treasure to be had and I intend to make sure I be getting me share!"
"But. . ?"
"leave him be Liarna" said Varharland "he's a Dwarf!"
Mendis chuckled "yeah" and they all started to climb the stairs, which although not big, Mendis got the impression that whomever had built this crazy place hadn't been quite human and although the stairs weren't giant sized, they weren't quite human sized as well and it was a somewhat tough climb for short Halfling legs.
The four Halflings struggled slightly with the stairs it was tough on their shorter legs and even Mendis found that the back of his legs aching after a while and Meriel was clearly in some pain due to her back and hip but stoically dealing with it, and Tev slightly chubbier and heavier than the rest of them was puffing slightly and Caldon was rubbing his calves.
Varharland noticing that the Halflings had fallen behind stopped and saw that they were struggling somewhat "you four look like you could use a lift" he said.
"We're fine!" Caldon said not wanting to admit to weakness especially in front of the Dwarf.
"No, you're not" said Varharland "Dinan, Narache, Skyla, can you all carry a Halfling?"
"Sure no problem" said Skyla picking up Meriel and putting her easily on her shoulders, Narache took Caldon, Dinan, Tevon and Varharland, Mendis.
"Var you don't have to" said Mendis.
Varharland looked at Mendis's stubbed toes and blistered heels "you little guys are finding this hard going, these steps aren't kind to you".
Caldon said "I still feel like a liability".
Darkstar chuckled "you have done a fine job of watching my back thus far Caldon, so don't be ashamed to admit to weakness".
Varharland said "we'll carry you these stairs obviously weren't made by human hands, possibly the creator race as it wasn't made by giants either".
Baldur in his hobnailed, Dwarvan made boots also appeared to be struggling but not as much as the Halflings, seeing Dwarves were taller than Halflings.
"You ok there Baldur?" Narache called.
Baldur grunted "I don't need to be carried like a child!"
"We probably wouldn't be able to lift you, save Maybe Skyla in her dragon form" Var said, "look though, Baldur if you need a hand let us know, Skyla can shift to her true form, there is no shame in admitting weakness".
Baldur grunted but both Mendis and Varharland caught his thoughts they were ** pigs will fly before I admit to weakness in front of an airy, fairy, pansy Eladrin! **.
Mendis thought to himself, Baldur was typical of the Dwarves, not been overly keen on Elves, Thorban often complained about to what seemed to him the frivolity an impracticality of the Elven peoples and a good number of the Band were Elves.
Magnus always complained about the dourness and the humourlessness of the Dwarves, but the rest of the Bands elves either didn't care what the Dwarf thought of were so used to it they were indifferent.
Elves and Dwarves had never really been that fond of each other, they didn't hate one another but they constantly found faults with each other, Elves also thought that Halflings were like children and thus needed protection, that Gnomes drank too much, and that Dwarves worked too hard, couldn't understand humans, treated Half Orcs with suspicion and pitied Half Elves.
The Elves in the Band however through long association and friendships with members of the other races had mellowed in their opinions though and were more open-minded and accepting and had developed deep friendships with each other.
Baldur however was not part of the Band so all he probably saw was a band overrun with Elves and humans and with more Halflings than one ever needed and couldn't understand why, no doubt he saw himself as superior to the Band, it was pretty clear to Mendis that he would never join the Band but that wasn't through malice or anything, he was just been Baldur.
Baldur thought the Band as an inexperienced bunch of wusses and with way to many meddlesome Harpers in it!
OF course some of the other members of the Band if they had any idea that there were five Harpers in the Band would probably feel the same way!
That had been one of the reasons why Baldur had remained on the outer and the Band members had not tried to get too friendly with Baldur as they all knew he would probably go back to his own Band once they got back to Faerun, which was fair enough, they weren't going to stop him or hold it against him. Baldur had offered his services as a priest because as far as he knew he was a more powerful priest than what the band had and that they would need him, but as soon as the mission was done he would go back to his own Band which maybe were more powerful and more experienced than Brithic's Band, they would probably never see him again once this was over.
Baldur spoke then" I sure hope you know what you are doing?"
Varharland shook his head "no I don't do you have a better idea?"
Baldur pulled up and looked at Varharland "you don't?"
"Well no" said Varharland "we chose the staircase that you indicated remember?"
Baldur shook his head "yes you did, didn't you?" he said.
Varharland continued "all we know is that you chose this staircase and that we need to get to the top, how we get there however is purely up to Fate and the Gods".
Baldur said "so you have no idea what we will find up there? Or what we are doing?"
"No" said Varharland "and if you have a better idea I'm willing to hear it".
Baldur asked "so how did you become leader then of this rabble?"
Varharland said "for one we are not rabble and two I share leadership duties with my friend and co-leader Sir Brithic Brightsword, Paladin of Torm, but seeing I'm the Masterharper here I'm in charge of the Harper contingent of the Band, ok so maybe we don't seem as organised or as powerful or even as good as your Band, but we try our best and have earnt ourselves something of a reputation for been honest and fair and just, we're good, and they know it, people come to us now, not us go to them".
Baldur said "sorry Varharland, I'm just used to my Band that is all, we have a certain way of doing things"
Varharland said " apology accepted but look Baldur if you have a better idea on how to approach this I'm all ears".
Baldur shook his head "no I guess not".
"Then we stick with our original plan" Varharland declared.
Darkstar shook his head as he tried to clear his still fuzzy vision than gave up been flash blinded didn't hinder him too much, he could blind fight if need be.
Varharland turned to Darkstar "how's your vision coming?"
"Improving" Darkstar said "I can actually kind of see you now".
"Ok" said Varharland not too concerned about the Drow Sorcerer, Drow learnt how to fight in total darkness, and besides there were enough magic workers within their group if he should falter and needed covering.
"So where do we go from here?" Baldur wondered.
"Up" said Varharland.
Mendis sitting on Var's shoulders suddenly said, "I sense danger ahead".
"We all do I think" said Varharland.
"I could send Caladan ahead to see what he can find" Mendis offered.
"Don't risk your dragon" said Varharland.
"Ok" said Mendis.
Tevon spoke then "I'll go check then, if you let me down I will go ahead, check for traps and stuff, seeing we have difficulty navigating the stairs it will slow me down somewhat so I won't stupidly walk into traps".
"You sure about that Tev?" Dinan asked.
Tevon nodded "yeah put me down I should be able to scout".
"Ok" said Dinan reluctantly as he put the Halfling down "here borrow my boots" he sat down and pulled his boots off and handed the boots to Tevon "boots of levitation and flying use them if you get stuck".
Tevon said "but your barefooted!"
"I'm used to fighting barefooted and besides I do have another pair of boots!" he said.
"Ok" said Tevon taking the boots and putting them on remembering how much he hated wearing shoes, like all magical items they adjusted to his feet.
Mendis chuckled "they are not going to bite you Tevon!"
"I know" said Tevon, he looked at Mendis and said, "I never thought I would ask you this Mendis but do you think you can put a passive link on me or something?"
"What you mean?" Mendis asked.
"You know some type of passive link or something?"
Mendis nodded "ok let me down Var".
"You sure?" he asked.
"You can pick me up again but to do this I need to have physical contact with Tevon" said Mendis.
"Ok" said Var letting him down.
Mendis went forward and took Tevon's hands and using his powers he said, "don't be afraid my strength is yours, my mind is with yours, heart to heart, soul to soul, and friend to friend".
Tevon nodded as he felt a connection form with Mendis and himself as Mendis backed up.
Mendis said "here's the deal, your got what is known as a passive link on you, you won't notice it and I can keep it up indefinitely, if you run into trouble I will know, but I can't read your mind with it so don't worry about that I'm not going to be crawling around in your head as you put it once but do be careful Tevon".
"Thanks" said Tevon.
"Good" Mendis said "here" he handed Tevon his Harper pin "take this with you and wear it, it will protect you from things such as lightning".
Tevon looked at the beautifully crafted pin Mendis was holding and said, "I can't do that!"
"Why not?"
"I'm not a Harper".
Mendis said "it will protect you".
"But isn't it like attuned to you or something?" he asked.
Varharland shook his head " nope the pins aren't attuned to their wearers some of them go black and made noises when in hands of evil but no it is not attuned to Mendis, just make sure you don't lose it and return it to Mendis ok? And as to you not been a Harper, well Storm seems to think you are!"
Tevon groaned "Ok" he pinned it onto his shirt as he had seen the other Harpers in the Band do.
"Unfortunately under the influence of your armour, cloak and Mendis's pin you are going to be undetectable to the rest of us though so be careful" said Varharland.
"I can track him by the link" said Mendis.
"Ok".
Tevon said "I still feel wrong about taking your Harper Pin Mendis I know how much it means to you".
"Your borrowing it" said Mendis "it is freely given with trust, just don't lose it please I feel naked without it".
"Ok" said Tevon pulling on his gloves he wore for doing Thiefy stuff with his gloves his crippled hands didn't hinder him so much "wish me luck then".
Mendis nodded "may Tymora watch over you" as Varharland put Mendis on his shoulders again; Var seemed unaffected by Mendis's weight.
"Ok" said Tevon "lets do this then!" Tevon wandered ahead of the party scouting and hiding in shadows as he walked up the stairs.
Tevon looked for traps as he walked along disarming any he found still not believing that Mendis had loaned him his Harper pin, he knew how much his mystical friend valued that pin.
He found another trap and disarmed it looking up and frowning as he noticed another above his head on the upside-down staircase above them as he observed it he knew that it was going to go off as the party walked beneath it, but how was he going to get up there? Times like this Mendis's powers or his wings would be useful.

"Psst Master, how about using me for a change?" said Tevon's sentient sword.
"Huh?" Tevon asked.
"I'm not just a talking sword you know? I'm a powerful magical item hold me up and I will show you one of my tricks, use the Drow's boots of levitation and I will do the rest".
Tevon held it up and looked thoughtfully "unless you can give me wings I can't see how . . . . ".
"Trust me" said the Sword.
"Well Ok Jaws if you say so" said Tevon using the boots and suddenly felt himself been tipped upside down and felt himself standing on the stairs above him upside down " huh?"
"Spider climb" the sword said sounding slightly smug "you know before you pick up a sentient weapon and use it you really should check what it does first!"

"Hay! I'm upside-down and stuck to the stairs!" Tevon said "this is weird!"
"Walk along, you'll find your movement is unhindered, you can walk right up walls, now get in and disarm those traps!" said Jaws.

"Thanks Jaws but won't the blood run to my head?"
"My magic prevents that from happening however if you do take too long you will get fatigued" said Jaws.
"Thanks for the warning" said Tevon frowning at the staircase it was upside-down and appeared to go nowhere but there was a nasty looking trap on it.
Tevon went forward and started to disarm the trap finding that there were two openings attached to it and then he noticed that the stairs led to a doorway that was locked.
Tevon disarmed the final two traps then tried the door and noticed that it had a simple lock with no trap on it which he quickly picked he walked in and was amazed at what he saw for although the room was upsidedown there was a treasure trove stuck to the walls and ceiling.
Tevon went to have a look at one and saw that it was a nice longsword "gosh Mendis you really should look at this" he said aloud without thinking.
** Be there in a sec ** said Mendis's telepathic voice ** stay put I have a lock on you so I can teleport **.
"Huh?" Tevon asked amazed as Mendis appeared hovering outside.
Mendis then noticed that Tevon was upsidedown and remmarked "you're upside down!"
Tevon said "yeah er Mendis I didn't realise that you heard me".
"We're linked remember?" Mendis said flying in and turning himself upsidedown in one movement and without missing a beat, Tevon thought to himself that was quite a feat in skill to turn yourself upsidedown whilst flying, Mendis then used his own version of spider climb and ended up as upsidedown as Tevon.
"Wow!" said Tevon "how did you do that?"
Mendis said "when you're had wings as long as I have you learn things".
Mendis landed on the ceiling and said, "see the four walls we don't have to remain upsidedown".
Tevon looked and saw that Mendis was right "yeah" he righted himself again and looked at the item stuck to the walls "say any of these magical?"
Mendis said "yes the swords are and one of bows and a sling".
"Can we use them?"
"Not the sword no, well at least not with our bare hands, it's a Holy avenger".
"Brithic then?"
"Not Brithic, Pious he hasn't got one yet" Mendis said.
"Can any of us hold it?"
"Trias perhaps" Mendis said "also one of the suits of armour is magical".
"So how do we get them?"
Mendis wandered around looking at the items "this is a veritable treasure trove they figured that noone would get to it seeing it is all upsidedown".
"So can we get them?"
"Lets see now" said Mendis " they are stuck to the wall by magic, hmm" he pulled out a scroll case and looked through it " here goes" he said pulling out a scroll, looked over it and started to read it.
Tevon ducked for cover, Mendis could read a scroll but sometimes with some pretty unpredictable results when he did that, although out of them both Mendis understood magic the most.
There was a flash and suddenly everything fell off the wall in a rain of metal, both Halflings ducked for cover until the rain stopped and then looked at the results.
"Ye gads!" said Tevon "now what?"
Mendis was sorting through the pile and hissed in pain "ouch!"
"What?"
"The Holy Avenger" Mendis replied.
"It stung you!" he asked amazed, to him that seemed weird, Mendis was the noblest, the kindest, the truest and the most honourable person he'd ever met! Mendis was definitely no servant of darkness!
"I'm not a Paladin!" Mendis said.
"Glory be!" Tevon quipped.
"Just a sec" Mendis said pulling out what looked like some leather and laying it flat and before Tevon's eyes, Mendis floated the beautiful two handed sword up and put it on the leather, which wrapped itself around the sword and tied it off so now both sword and it's sheath were now fully encased in the leather.
"Wow!" Tevon said "you are skilled with your powers!"
Mendis chuckled "the leather is enchanted; I got it made when we were looking for those evil artefacts that time and I knew that none of us would be able to touch them! Even Narache! It works both ways none of us are evil but not all of us are Paladins either! This should be able to be safely carried by all of us!"
"You said Trias might be able to carry it".
"Perhaps Trias is the closest thing we have to a Paladin but even he isn't an Paladin! He is a fallen angel he might have been able to carry it or he mightn't have been able to either, either him or Baldur".
"Oh" said Tevon "so what about the rest?"
Mendis went around looking at them "a good sling, an elven bow hmm this is really nice! Too big for me though! A magical sword that isn't a Holy Avenger, this might do Caldon! And that armour I'm going to need your help in picking that up! And some ioun stones I'll add them to my collection".
Mendis went around collecting the items and putting them into his Bag of Holding and said "Here Tev come give me a hand with this armour".
Tevon nodded "ok".
Together the two Halflings loaded it into Mendis's bag "so whose getting that?" Tevon asked.
"Full plate" said Mendis "human sized, not sure most of the Band have either elven chain or Mithril, or don't or can't wear metal armour due to what they are, guess we'll have to see who will benefit from it the most".
"Yeah" said Tevon "or sell it, I couldn't wear full plate I'd find it too constricting".
"And I would be hard pressed to find a suit that fits me or light enough not to weigh me down" Mendis said " leather armour weighs me down a bit! Even elven leather that it is! where Var managed to get a set of elven leather Shadow armour that also accommodated wings is beyond me!"
"Maybe it used to belong to an Avariel or something".
"Possibly all I know is that it also came with the ability to accommodate my wings!" Mendis said "Normal Shadow Armour is hard to find! Let alone a set made for someone with wings!" as Mendis had found to his surprise when Varharland had presented him with the set of Shadow Armour he was currently wearing it had also been specially made for someone with wings! As he had found when he was trying it on that it had slits for wings and unlike Tevon's it was a black supple leather rather than studded but it seemed to provide the same level of abilities and protections that a suit of normal Shadow armour provided, Varharland had not said where it had come from or how he had acquired it.
"Yeah" said Tevon.
Mendis looked over some other sundry items and put them in his bag "do you want me to stay with you?" he asked.
Tevon nodded "yeah I guess so my hands aren't what they were so if I find something I can't disarm maybe you could".
"I'm not as good as you are though" said Mendis "seeing I'm more of Scout than I'm a Thief" he filled his bag he used for sling bullets with some magical sling bullets, like his quiver it was magical.
"Yeah I know but don't underestimate your skill with traps though, it ain't so bad".
"Ok" said Mendis "I will stay but you are still better at detecting though I will let you take the lead" he put his bag back over his shoulder, sent a mental message to Varharland that he was staying with Tevon then they walked out of the door.
Tevon's sword allowed Tevon to walk upside down, Mendis simply took to the wing again flipping over and flew after him down to the path again also doing a couple of somersaults , flips and flying upsidedown again, years of having wings had made Mendis extremely acrobatic in the air, aerial acrobatics and fancy flying were two of Mendis's specialties, Tevon had seen Mendis do all sorts of things in the air, sometimes it seemed to him that his winged friend was more comfortable in the air than he was on the ground.
Tevon climbed back down and when he got back on to the original stairs he said, "it is good to be the right way up again".
Mendis somersaulted as he came in for a landing (just because he could) folding his wings away and said "Hmm".
"Where'd you learn to fly upsidedown?" Tevon asked him.
Mendis shrugged "practise, you never know when it might be necessary to be able to fly upsidedown".
"Your amazing you know that?" he asked.
Mendis shrugged "maybe" he got behind Tevon and followed his friend.
"This building is crazy!" Tevon said looking at the stairs which were going every which way.
Mendis nodded "yeah".
Tevon wandered along checking for and disarming traps Mendis followed him, occasionally hovering in the air and looking ahead of them and disarming traps as well.
They continued in this fashion for a little longer until Tevon pulled up suddenly and Mendis braked in the air so suddenly he almost fell out of the air.
"Gosh!" said Tevon.
"Your right" Mendis said joining his friend and looking ahead as their pathway was suddenly abruptly stopped over a chasm where flames were shooting up from below it and the only way across was a group of platforms which were going up and down randomly.
"Tymora Preserve us!" Tevon said "this is going to be fun! Those gaps between those platforms are larger than us small folk can jump!"
Mendis looked around and said, "hard for us winged folk as well with those pillars of flames shooting up every so often!"
"Yeah" Tevon agreed eyeing the other side with a set of steep stairs leading up to the darkness.
"We could all take turns on getting on Rashid and get him to ferry us across" Mendis suggested.
"True" said Tevon.
Mendis said "that's one way".
Tevon said "I say we go back and tell the others and get them to come here we have disarmed every trap between the party and us and then we discuss ways across. "
"Good point" said Mendis "that is settled then we go back and tell the others what we saw, get them to come here and discuss how we are going to go further".
Tevon said "excellent idea" he turned as if to walk back.
Mendis took his arm "hang a bit Tev I will teleport us back".
"OK" he said, "you can do that?"
"Yeah".
"Well couldn't you then teleport the entire party across the chasm then?"
"It is way too big I haven't yet mastered the mass teleport ability yet, I can teleport one or two but not 14!"
"Oh" he said.
"Besides I need to know where I'm going!" Mendis added as he and Tevon teleported back to the party.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

11.4M 296K 23
Alexander Vintalli is one of the most ruthless mafias of America. His name is feared all over America. The way people fear him and the way he has his...
7.3M 302K 38
~ AVAILABLE ON AMAZON: https://www.amazon.com/dp/164434193X ~ She hated riding the subway. It was cramped, smelled, and the seats were extremely unc...
235K 5.8K 52
⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯ જ⁀➴ 𝐅𝐄𝐄𝐋𝐒 𝐋𝐈𝐊𝐄 .ᐟ ❛ & i need you sometimes, we'll be alright. ❜ IN WHICH; kate martin's crush on the basketball photographer is...
2.2M 114K 64
↳ ❝ [ INSANITY ] ❞ ━ yandere alastor x fem! reader ┕ 𝐈𝐧 𝐰𝐡𝐢𝐜𝐡, (y/n) dies and for some strange reason, reincarnates as a ...