Of Solar And Dark (2018)

By -tropicalminds

[ featured on @beyondsol and @undiscoveredbooks, a youngblood awards 2018 winner ] In a world divided in two... More

1 [S]
1 [E]
2 [S]
2 [E]
3 [S]
3 [E]
4 [S]
4 [E]
5 [S]
5 [E]
6 [S]
6 [E]
7 [S]
7 [E]
8 [S]
8 [E]
9 [S]
9 [E]
10 [S]
10 [E]
11 [S]
11 [E]
12 [S]
12 [E]
13 [S]
13 [E]
14 [S]
14 [E]
15 [E]
16 [S]
16 [E]
17 [S]
17 [E]
18 [S]
18 [E]
19 [S]
19 [E]
20 [S]
20 [E]
21 [S]
21 [E]
22 [S]
22 [E]
23 [S]
23 [E]
24 [S]
24 [E]
25 [S]
25 [E]
26 [E]
27 [E]
28 [E]
29 [E]
30 [E]
Author's Note
Awards And Achievements

15 [S]

18 5 0
By -tropicalminds

Sebestian Knight

The moon cycle is on my mind but I don't have time to worry about it now. Martha slips the vehicle into a parallel parking space before we leave it, hurriedly picking up the pace in the smoothest manner we can muster.

For a moment, I wonder what would happen if any of the Resistance members happn to recognise me. Would they pin me down as a traitor of my kind or will they reason my presence for something deeper, something they don't understand?

As the three of us join the back of the queue, I hear an impatient hiss in my ear.

"C'mon, guys. We don't have time to mingle at the back of the line- you three need to get in immediately."

From beside me, Martha draws in a sharp breath before starting to nudge her way to the front, weaving her way through the thick throng of Solars. A smatter of fair mumurs arise but none of them are enough to trigger a pink glow to my cheeks- even I know the gravity of our current situation.

Standing guard before the set of mahogany doors that run wide, allowing a peek of wealth of affluence to overflow from the inside, is a broad chested Solar. His eyes are hidden behind a pair of thick rimmed sunglasses and he stares down at us, his face a potrait of annoyance.

"Get back in line." He growls but Martha stands her ground, undaunted. Puffing our her chest slightly, she leans in close to the Solar, her eyes slowly filling with lust as her hands start to coil around his arms, her skin brushing against him with the slightest movement.

"Are you sure you would like that?" Her voice is soft and a shiver trembles down my back as her eyes grow round and her dress flutters along the set of pristine pants that falls along the Solar's ankles. His face muscles stiffening, the Solar firmly steos aside from Martha and the sudden removal of a boulder to drape along sends her wobbling slightly.

"Get out of here. Now." The Solar snaps, a note of finality to his voice.

"Luke, Edward, I know the two of you are there. You need to do something to get in- I don't care what it is. We can't help you 'till you access the inside!" Ellie's voice rings in my ear and it takes all the discipline I have not to clasp my hand against my head to block out the painful static hiss.

"Sir, she didn't mean anything in that!" Edward starts towards the guard, his step careful but enough to capture his attention.

"We just need to get in- we're going to miss one of our friend's presentation, that's all." Edward's voice is soaked with persuasion and I am almost betrayed by how genuine he looks, with those bright blue eyes and convincing smile that unfolds across his face.

The guard sighs, a flicker of irritation glancing along his features, "IDs, please."

For a second, we scramble for the fake identification cards that Kirk had made for us. Silently reciting a Dark prayer in my head, I take a cautious peek at the guard. He gives our IDS a fast scan before ushering us in with a lazy fluck of his hand.

As we step through the entrance, the strong smell of a mixture of perfumes and colognes sweep across the room, disorinetating my sense for a moment. The room is draped in jewels that glitter with and fabrics of tactile texture stretching along the perimeter. Gold, silver and bronze colours swamp my vision, creating a surreal surrounding and a small part of me whispers to spin in a whirl, to soak in everything that I can't see in a straight line.

Groups and flocks of Solars depart as they drift from potrait to portrait that are hung along the walls and the stunning background effect of a variety of bright colours created by the fusion of different lights emmited severeal hues blinking in a synchronised order from above.

My breath catches in my throat as I float in a dream-like state, trying to draw in all the pictures, all the Solars and the entire atmosphere of the room. A pleasant level of chatter flows freely as the colours that the lights overhead discharge wink down against the ground, colouring the floors with patterns and symbols of shades.

The world is saturated with colours along the entire spectrum and in this room, is the raw essence of the Solar System.

There is a warning hiss in my ear and I am ripped from my trance. All my concentration slides backt o the task at hand as I glance around, now carefull to note every detail that lines these walls.

"We've just gotten an update- the prophecy in hidden in the main piece that they will unveil later. That's when the Resistance will intercept the message. The first warning was a red herring- for now, you'll need to fit in with the background."

As Ellie relays the update, a heavy swell of music begins to drift along the room, circulating through the space. It's music fit for a slow dance as I slink to the side as I watch the male Solars grab the arms of the female Solars and slowly make their rounds along the floor. Soon, a series of spins, swaying and Solars suffuse the room.

"Is this an art gallery or a ballroom dance class?" I mumble, earning a chuckle (mostly likely Kirk) from the other end.

"Luke!" Ellie scolds, "You need to blend in! People are staring!"

"How? There's no one to dance with." I reply as subtly as I can.

That's when I spot Edward. He's lingering along the corners of the room, hands tucked into the pockets along his pants and head dipped in a way that will only cause suspicion. Heaving a sigh, I march across the room towards him and offer my hand.

He cocks his brows at me, shock diffusing along his face.

"Martha's already got a partner." I mutter, nodding towards the room where Martha has unsurprisingly managed to blend in with, swaying with a stranger.

Edward hesitantly takes my hand and the two of us start toward the middle of the room.

"I've never done this before. Please go easy on me." Edward whispers as the light from around the room form a prism of yellow along the bond that our bodies create- hand on hand and skin gently grazing against skin.

He has never danced before but I have. Professionaly. I still can't shake off the memories of when I was eight and my father forced my feet into tiny slippers he that many claimed were dancing footwear and made me glide all around the floor. The trace of swaying with an instructor years older than I was are still vivid in my mind.

"I'll go easy on you." I promise as I slide my hand just above his waist. Noticing him withdrawing slightly, I lower my voice to a whisper.

"I won't hurt you... I promise."

Nodding at my words, he eases into the pressure I exert against the small of his back as I allow my hand to hover to a position that evidently makes him more comfortable.

As the music gradually swells and dips, I lead Luke along the floor, falling into the pattern that my feet know so well and flowing with the notes that the speakers gently weave.

In sucha  close proximity, I can see how clear his eyes are. The blue is so bright, it makes me wonder if maybe he's the one who breathes all the light into the Solar System. His gaze is set on mine, too and the two of us watch each other as we sway.

The colours the lights effuse sway along his skin- sweeping along the entire area in a movement that resembles the waves of an ocean. The crests of coloured riptides topple against Edward's skin, coating them with a shade that makes him look dazzling. I lose my breath a little and nearly forget the world as pigments casted along our bodies battle against the shadows dancing onto our fingers, transferring onto our wrists.

"This afternoon," Edward breathes and his eyes are wide as he speaks, "Did it mean anything?"

My tongue ties itself into a knot as my emotions entangle my body. I try not to show that he has me stunned but I think it's too late for that, even I can tell that I'm within his control.

I don't even know how.

When the words finally form in my head, I lose my fear a little.

"It doesn't matter because it wasn't important. Whatever happened earlier- that was just infatuation." My voice is so low, it resonates with the hum of the music that barely makes itself discernible.

Pain strikes his features before it disappears rapidly. A part of me starts to wither as the sadness in his eyes grow, dimming the brilliant twinkle that they have been shining with throughout the dance. Still, I know that I am right. We have only known each other for two days now- this doesn't mean a thing.

Edward doesn't seem to understsnd, though, becaus ehe keeps pursuing.

"Luke..."

I wince when he uses the name I have given the Salvation members to call me. Hearing the fake name causes a twinge of pain to carve against my heart and I have to duck my head to hide the feelings unravelling along my face.

"You might say that it's infatuation but when you held me, everything became so real." The air in my chest is caught in a mesh of wonder, of desire and heartache that makes me question my previous answer.

"I know you felt it too."

"We just met, Edward." The lie stings in my mouth and I realise that we have stopped dancing. It's just the two of us, standing before each other and pleading for the other party to understand. There's just the rim of colours that rhapsodises Edward's tall, lanky frame.

"I know that," His words are a plea that my heart instantly understands but my mind can't wrap around, "But in that moment, I felt safe. I don't think you understand that I have never felt safe like that anywhere else."

Staring into his eyes feels like looking right into the day sky. It's vast and big, filled with a depth that I can chase for eternity.

It belongs to the Solar System and nowhere near mine.

"Guys?"

There's a sharp ringing in my ears and my whole heart stops as the realisation dawns on me.

Our ear comms.

Everyone on team Eta had heard our exchange.

"The three of you need to get your head in the game now. They're unveiling the masterpiece where the prophecy is hidden."

Word Count: 1821 Words

A/N: Yes! I know the relationship is rushed- like one day?! Who even writes weird stuff like this but trust me- I'm weaving something!

I appreciate all reads, votes, comments and shares so make sure you let me know you've been here by leaving one! (:

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.1K 35 10
❝𝐈 𝐀𝐧𝐨𝐰 𝐑𝐒𝐬 π₯𝐒𝐭𝐭π₯𝐞 𝐠𝐚𝐦𝐞. π‡πž 𝐰𝐚𝐧𝐭𝐬 𝐭𝐨 𝐟𝐞𝐞π₯ 𝐝𝐨𝐦𝐒𝐧𝐚𝐧𝐭. 𝐒𝐭𝐫𝐨𝐧𝐠. 𝐈𝐧 𝐜𝐨𝐧𝐭𝐫𝐨π₯. ❞ ♧ ♧ ♧ 𝐙𝐒𝐨𝐧 𝐄𝐬𝐩...
1.1K 93 18
10 year old Ruth has seen her own sister get brutally murdered on her own wedding day. To make matters worse, no one wants to take Ruth in except for...
38.1K 2.5K 39
It's the year 2309 and the question of whether we are alone in the universe is finally answered; an answer which ends in a full-scale war. Desperate...
14.1K 974 37
✨️WATTYS 2023 SHORTLIST | Book One in the "Dark Waters" series | On a quest to regain his place among the deadly seven, Octavio quickly remembers th...