Poison

By Karli_Girl

Christine Wilson left S.H.I.E.L.D. long before the Avengers were formed.She should have known that it would n... More

Case file
epigraph
Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Epilogue

Chapter Seven

1.7K 48 4
By Karli_Girl

"Hulk Report?"

Christine was seated next to Bruce Banner on the jet and she could see the tension in his shoulders. She pitied the defeated man next to her.

When she got back on the ship, she was questioned by the others. To which she gave vague answers. She didn't do it on purpose, she was just as clueless as them when it came to the blue-eyed stranger. They seemed pleased with her answers and moved on.

She could fell her body was tired from the extensive use of her powers. Christine had tried to sit in a secluded area, but that space was occupied by Bruce. So she sat next to him and he didn't say anything.

"The gates of hell are filled with the screams of his victims" Thor rumbled.

Bruce groaned next to me and I rolled my eyes. Leave it to a god to follow social cues.Thor must have sensed the tension in the room and he was quick to correct himself, but it was too late.

The defeated man dropped his head into his hands. His breathing became labored, like a panic attack. As if it was instinct, Christine placed her hand on his shoulder. She understood what he was feeling more than he knew. She thought back to her dissociative episode in the field when Clint got hurt. He tensed at first but relaxed after she rubbed his shoulder. She wanted to comfort the man, and this was the only way she knew how. She stayed like that until his breathing slowed. Everyone else was chatting amongst themselves and they stayed in the same position for a while. After a couple minutes, she moved her hand to his back and rubbing soothing circles.

Christine's attention diverted back to the conversation of the others.

"It feels good, yeah?" Tony asked Thor, nudging him with his elbow. Thor rose a blonde eyebrow in question. "You've been after this thing since S.H.I.E.L.D. collapsed. Not that I haven't enjoyed our little raiding parties, but..."

"No, but this..." Thor trailed off while gazing at his brother's scepter. Probably reminiscing about the New York battle.

"As soon as we find out what else this has been used for. I just don't mean weapons. Since when is Strucker capable of human enhancement?"

That piqued Christine's interest. "What do you mean?"

They seemed surprised at the sound of her voice. Steve glanced between her hand rubbing Bruce's back and her face. "We believe that the enhanced in the field and in the facility were apart of Strucker's many experiments"

"Banner and I'll give it the once over before it goes back to Asgard. Is that okay with you?" Tony said.

Christine drowned out the rest of their conversation and opted for looking out the window. The lull of the engine almost putting her to sleep.

Not long after they arrived at the compound, Clint was tended to. While Christine was about to walk inside, she was met by Maria. Maria knew that Christine was exhausted. Her usually strong posture was met with a lowered head and a slump in her shoulders.

"I'm okay," Christine muttered. She knew she was tired, but she didn't want to worry Maria.

"No,you're not. You haven't used your powers that much since-"

"I'm okay, Maria. I'll be okay once you debrief us on what the hell that was out there that hit Clint"

"Okay" She turned towards the others that had walked behind them.They took note of the whispering amongst them but didn't say anything.

Maria and Steve lead us into a lab and Maria begin to debrief us on the two enhanced people. "Their names are Wanda and Pietro Maximoff. Twins. Orphaned at ten when a shell collapsed their apartment building. Sovokia's had a rough history."

"What can they do?" Bruce asked.

"The male has enhanced speed, I know that much. Out in the field, Clint got hit so fast. I was just looking at him, next thing I know he was bleeding in the snow." Christine lowered her eyes when she sensed everyone looking at her.

"She's right. He's got increased metabolism and improved thermal homeostasis. Her thing is neural electric interfacing, telekinesis, mental manipulation."Steve leaned forward. By his expression, Christine could tell that he was confused. Maria must have also noticed his expression too and broke it down even more."He's fast and she's weird"

Steve began to say something else, but Christine couldn't hear him. The only thing she could hear was her blood rushing in her head. The world began to become blurry and tilt sideways. She realized that she must have leaned against the table in front of her. Her body had a mind of its own and she couldn't control her movements anymore. In the distance, she could hear someone ask if she was okay. She tried to answer but it felt as if her mouth was full of cotton. The only thing she was able to reiterate was that she was okay.

That was the last thing she remembered before she passed out.

~

Something cold was being applied to Christine's forehead and she didn't appreciate it. She reached up and grabbed the wrist that was applying the washcloth to her forehead. A small sigh escaped them and she opened her eyes.

"I was just trying to help."

"You don't need to" she shook her head at Maria. Managing to sit up, she looked down and saw that she wasn't wearing her clothes. Pajamas adorned her legs instead of her ripped jeans from the mission. "How long was I out?"

"I want to"  she insisted. "And at least 3 hours. You're body was exhausted. Dr.Cho said you will be okay."

"Was the undressing necessary?"

A shrug. "I remember you used to say that you can't sleep in jeans."

A small smile appeared on her face. She could remember that day clearly.

It was the morning of their first mission together. They were heading over to a classified location to do recon on a potential for the Avengers Initiative, one that Christine was supposed to be apart of. Christine had stayed up late doing extensive research and was still sleep by the time her alarm went off.

Maria and Amilla both decided to barge into her room. They then proceeded to rip the blankets away from her body. Exposing the fact that she had no pants on.

When asked about her choice in lack of clothing. Christine answered that she doesn't sleep in jeans and that that was all she had. A couple weeks later her drawers were filled with pajama bottoms.

Christine fingered the clothing and refused to make eye contact with Maria. She knew that if she would she could tell that the memory affected her.

"I miss her too, you know?"

"Excuse me?"

"I said, that I miss her too.I cared about her and you know that it isn't your fault,right?"

A lump formed in her throat. It burned to swallow and her eyes were welling up. "I know."

They both sat in silence for a moment. Both lost in their thoughts.

Christine cleared her throat. "Why are you so dressed up?"

"Tony threw a farewell party"

"And I wasn't invited?" She joked.

"It's over, you slept right through it.Everyone is in the living room now. If you want to come and mingle." Her voice went up an octave at the end, and indication that she wanted her to.

So Christine nodded.

Maria gave an appreciative smile and left the room so she could change.

Christine switched out the pajamas for her ripped jeans. Looking down at her shirt, she realized that it wasn't appropriate for the occasion. She shuffled over to her duffle bag that she dumped in corner when she first arrived. Inside she grabbed a shirt that wasn't a graphic tee. She also made an effort with her hair and slicked it back into a low bun.

On her way out, she took her time. She could tell by the small bags under her grey eyes that she was still exhausted.

She must have been staring at her reflection for a while because a small knock was heard. The door opened shortly after to reveal Maria.

"Are you coming?"

Christine blinked and it broke her trance. She took a deep breath before turning towards Maria.

"Yeah"

——————————————————

Thank you guys for being patient. I know I've been gone for awhile. College is hectic.

Vote. Comment. Share.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

423 34 19
Enemies to lover story this story will be about a girl her name is Joyce Romanoff. She has black hair that's blue underneath with sea green eyes. sh...
132K 3.1K 18
Thank you for nearly 150K reads! She is the fate of HYDRA and the Avengers, but what is their fate? I own the main character, the rest is owned by: M...
301K 8.4K 20
"I tried to kill you as soon as I met you... Do you really trust me not to try again within a month...?" Cara Nielsen's entire working career has rev...
45.9K 1K 75
{bucky barnes ff} Noelle Dean has many struggles, the main one being that she was stuck in ice for seventy years and now has to live in a world witho...