Desolate ▿ Teen Wolf

By taileilei

You would think she would be used to it by now. Always being thrown aside, sent back to the beginning where n... More

Prologue
Disclaimer
Welcome to Beacon Hills
Dark Encounter
New Eyes
Ashes
School Sucks
Identity
Sleep Walking
Mysterious Skills
It's Nothing
Trying to Breathe
Missing Information
The Return
Safe Haven
In Your Arms
Bigger Problems
Hold Your Breath
Mexic- Oh No
We Don't Get Sick
I Know You
Truth; No Lies
Plus one
Hope WTF
Something's Wrong
Invisible Connections
Unlisted
Missing in Action
When You're Gone
Unexpected
Departure
Off-Road
Connections
Author's Note

Meeting the Mystery

5.4K 164 34
By taileilei

Stiles

I'm finally myself, I have control, and I don't need to hurt people anymore. I no longer feel that sickening rush when blood is spilled by my own doing. I close my eyes tightly, not wanting to remember all of the terrible things I have done the past few weeks.

I sit in my bed and stare at the walls around me, millions of pictures covering the walls, and thousands of red strings connecting the photos, most of them connecting back to my bed. I pluck at the red string closest to me, a light sound resonating off of the fabric.

I sigh and scratch at the back of my neck. I need to clear my head, start over. Over the past couple of weeks I haven't had any control and I have hurt a lot of people, including my friends. I quickly stand up and head to the nearest wall. 

First I disconnect all of the red strings and throw them in the trash. Then I begin ripping down the photos. Pausing every now and then to look at the photo. I hold up a photo of Eichen House, shuddering at the memory, I rip the photo to shreds. I turn to see my dad standing in the hall way, an expression of concern etched onto his face. I awkwardly wave at him, pieces of the ripped up picture falling to the floor.

"What are you doing?" He nods at the mess in my room. 

"Just clearing my head." I respond turning back to my walls. A lot of the photos on my walls are ones I put up before the Nogitsune took over me. But I have noticed some that I don't remember adding. I'm almost done clearing one wall when a picture of a girl catches my attention. I gingerly remove it from the wall trying not to rip it. At first glance it looks like Malia, because I remember putting her picture up here when we were solving her case but it's not her. This girl has olive colored skin, and piercing blue eyes. Her wavy dark hair covers one of her eyes and falls just below her shoulders. I stare at her eyes, something about them seem distant. Like she was looking at the camera when the photo was being taken but her thoughts were somewhere else. I scratch the back of my neck trying to recall the girl. 

It must be a picture I put up when I was the Nogitsune because her face seems familiar but I can't remember her. I put the picture on the side and return to clearing the walls. Eventually I find the photo of Malia that I put up. I hold Malia's photo next to the other girl's photo. They look similar but something about the other girl seems stranger, almost alluring.

She must have a connection to the paranormal. If I did this while I was the Nogitsune I need to find out what her connection his. What if I did something to her? I throw Malia's photo in the trash and put the other girl's photo back on my desk. I wish I would have left the strings up because then I could have at least figured out what she was connected to. 

I stare at my bare walls. It took me an hour to clear everything. I only kept one photo. I go back to my desk and pick up the photo of the girl. It's just something about her that seems so familiar but not, at the same time. I pick up my phone and call Scott. 

"Hey, buddy, how ya doing?" Scott answers in a careful tone. He's been speaking to me like that ever since I was rid of the Nogitsune. Things have been off between us since Allison.... 

"Hey," I reply, "I was going through my stuff and- you know my case board- wall- walls really?" 

"Um, ya, I think so." 

"Well I was clearing it and, well I found something, you know what, I'm coming over." I rush. I hang up the phone quickly not giving Scott a chance to respond and I grab the picture. I shout a quick goodbye to my dad and hop into my jeep.

I'm sitting at a stop light, drumming my thumbs on the steering wheel, when I notice something in the corner of my eye. I turn to see the girl from the picture sitting on a bench, literally like magic. At this point I wouldn't be surprised if it was.

She looks older, more beat up than in the picture. My pulse rises as my mind jumps to conclusions. What if I did that to her? I practically fall out of my seat, which was awkward because of the seat belt. As soon as the light turns green I speed through the streets, quickly turning into the nearest parking lot. I grab my phone a shoot a quick txt to Scott, "Gonna come by later, found a lead." 

I scramble out of the car and head to where the girl was sitting. I pray that she is still there. I round the corner and see her in the same spot. She appears to be doing something with her shoe. I awkwardly stand there staring at her for a couple of minutes before running across the street towards her. She looks up suddenly when I approach her, flinching slightly when I try to take a step forward. Retreating I wave at her nervously. She seems scared of me, but the longer I look at her I see that same distant look behind the fear in her eyes. I hope I didn't do anything to her while I was the Nogitsune that would make her be scared of me. But then again that is a huge possibility. 

"Hi!" I say, waving again, scooting a little bit closer to the girl. 

"Hello." She says looking back down at her shoes. I notice that she is cleaning thick mud from her combat boots. I wonder what she was doing in the forest. I quickly sit down next to her, our legs brushing against each other. She turns toward me with a skeptical look on her face. "Do you want something?" 

I quickly shake my head, "Nope! Don't need anything here. Me? Why would I need anything?" I laugh nervously. We sit there looking at each other before she returns to her shoes. I twiddle my thumbs, the silence slowly killing me. "Ok, fine. This might sound really weird, but do I know you?"  Her eyes widen and she quickly brushes her hair out of her face. Her blue eyes glistening in fear, she looks like she is going to say something but instead she clears her throat and shakes her head.

So I don't know her. I scratch at the back of my neck, still confused on why she was on my board. "So what's your name?" I shrug gesturing towards her. 

"Terra." She looks up with this. Our eyes meet and her eyes seem to be searching mine. I didn't know what she was looking for but obviously she found something that calms her down because her expression softens. I quickly stretch out my hand to shake her's but she just looks back down at her shoes. I watch her perform the simple task, each movement brushing the hair away from her face.

"O.K. then." I sigh, dropping my hand, "Well it's nice to meet you Terra, and my name is Stiles." She nods. Well at least I had a name to attach to the picture. But I still couldn't figure out what her connection was to the world of the supernatural, or me. "So you from around here?"  Wrong question, she visibly stiffens and shoots up, not sparring me a second glance as she begins to leave.

"Wait!" I shout after her as she quickly walks down the side walk. I stand up and scramble to keep up with her. "What did I do? Please stop." I grab her arm and she turns toward me. She glares at me, her nose crinkling slightly in the process, I hesitantly remove my hand not wanting to scare her away again.

"What." She says impatiently. She flicks her hair out of her face looking between me and the street, her weight shifting between feet as she waits.

"Okay. This is going to sound really crazy but-" A loud car alarm cuts me off. "Shit, that's my car." I look at Terra, I need to get back to my car but I can't just let her leave without finding out more at least. "Umm, please wait here," I gesture towards the bench we were sitting on, "I'll be right back, please, wait." And with that I run towards my car. Which could possibly be the stupidest thing I've ever done.

Terra

As soon as Stiles runs in the direction of his car I run in the opposite direction. Stiles seems totally different from the last time I saw him, he also doesn't seem as dark. That look in his eyes is still there though.

I turn to make sure Stiles isn't following me, when I see no one behind me I make my way into the forest. I can't hear the cars from the road anymore when I hear a familiar voice shout my name. He's not too far behind but he probably doesn't even know that I went into the forest. As if hearing my thoughts a loud crashing comes from behind me. I groan turning to see the bushes shaking as a hand makes its way out of the bush. He found me.

So I do what I always do. I turn and run. 

As I'm running the crashing gets louder as I here Stiles trying to keep up with me. My eyes scan the trees looking for an easy tree to climb. My eyes land on a nearby tree that I can easily scale. I run to the tree and quickly climb up it until I find a gathering of branches.

As soon as I get adjusted Stiles runs into the clearing. He spins in a circle searching for me. He stops and puts his hands on his hips. And then he looks up, the same way he did my first night in Beacon Hills. I hold my breath as his eyes land on me. 

"Terra?" He questions. There's no way I can hide from him since its fall and there are no leaves to hide behind so I simply nod. "Terra, please come down. Or you know what? You don't need to come down, just please talk to me." He stares at me awaiting my response. I remain silent knowing that he will ask his questions anyways. A carefully orchestrated cough sounds from below me. I look down at Stiles, his posture resembling one of a scolding parent. Reluctantly I climb down a few branches so he will get on with it. "Soooo Terra," he drawls "What's your last name?" 

"What's yours?" I shoot back. 

"Stilinski." 

"Blake." 

"Huh. Terra Blake." I readjust my positions uncomfortably hoping that he doesn't recognize my name.

I clear my throat and nod, "Ya, that's me. Terra Blake. So are we done here?" 

"Ok. I'm just gonna come out and ask it. Are you staying here?" He gestures towards the tree I'm in. "I mean like living in the forest?" 

I shift uncomfortably again trying to avoid his gaze. "Well I kinda don't have anywhere to go." I mumble. I look down to see Stiles staring up at me with wide eyes and his mouth hanging open. "What?!" I protest my cheeks flushing with anger and a small amount of embarrassment. 

"It's just, I mean, never mind. So you don't have anywhere to stay?" He scratches at the back off his neck and looks down at his shoes. I notice that he has a habit of scratching his neck when he doesn't know what to say or do. When I don't answer he looks up at me.

This conversation is getting really awkward and to personal. So I just nod. He looks down at his shoes then brings a fist to his forehead and lightly hits himself before continuing, "Since you don't have anywhere to stay, you could stay with me? I mean us, my dad and I, I mean if you want to. You're welcome to just stay here, but it would be-"

"I just met you...." 

"Ya I know but, I mean, I can't just let you stay out here, cause you know," he clears his throat, his voice cracking slightly, "Animals?" 

"How do I know you're not so crazy murderer?" 

"Wha- No, no! My dad, he's the sheriff, so nope, not a murderer." He stumbles over his words gesturing to himself. His dad is the sheriff? I consider his offer. The only bad thing is eventually they are probably going to find out who I am, especially with the sheriff around. But maybe it's not the same sheriff who filled me into the system. I do need somewhere to stay though. 

"Ok." I close my eyes, instantly regretting the words as they slip past my lips.

"Ok?!" He looks up at me with surprise, then he claps his hands together. "Ok! Ok. So will you come down now? My car is just around the corner, I mean if we went back to the street it would be around the corner." 

I hesitantly climb down from my perch and jump from the last branches. I stick the landing and turn towards Stiles. His mouth hangs open for a few moments before he turns towards the street and starts making his way down. I follow a safe distance behind him. Every now and then he turns to make sure I'm still behind him. When we finally make it to the car he opens the passenger door for me. I raise my eyebrows skeptically as I pass him and sit down. As soon as I'm situated he closes the door and scrambles to the driver's side. A few moments later we are on the road. I lean against the cold window and watch the trees zoom past. 

"Where are we going?" 

He glances over at me but quickly returns his gaze to the road. "The sheriff station. Then back to my place to get you situated." I nod and lean my head back against the window. Then it occurs to me. My last name! I told him my actual last name, and if he tells the sheriff my name then it won't be long before he makes the connection. 

"I lied." I blurt, breaking through the silence.

"What." 

"Earlier, when you asked me what my last name was." I rack my brain thinking about last names of old families. Carter, it was a common enough name and the family that had that name was all the way back in New York. "Carter, my last name is Carter." 

"Why did you lie?" I look at him from the corner of my eye and notice that his eyebrows are furrowed with confusion. I clear my throat, picking at a hole in my jeans awkwardly. 

"I didn't know you. Stranger Danger?" I couldn't actually tell him why I lied. It was too soon and I wasn't planning on telling him. At least not now. 

"Oh." After that we sit in silence until we arrive at the sheriff station. Once there we both get out of the car and he gestures for me to wait in the front while he talks to his dad. Through the glass I see Stiles embrace his dad then begin talking frantically. He always seemed to be moving or doing something with urgency. Every now and then he gestures towards me. The sheriff stands there and nods every now and then looking at me before nodding again. After what felt like an eternity Stiles pops his head through the door and gestures for me to follow him to the back. Once in the sheriff's office I stand near the door ready to run out if he recognizes me. 

"Hi Terra. I'm Sheriff Stilinski." He reaches out his hand to shake mine, thick callouses scattered along his palm. I don't return the gesture instead letting his hand hang there for a few moments before he continues, "My son Stiles told me about your-situation. And you are welcome to stay in our home until you find a place to stay or are able to contact family." I stare at him trying to pin his face to my memories of all my experience with the police. Nothing comes to mind so that means I can start over. He obviously doesn't know that I don't have any family left. So, I simply nod at his statement, not commenting on the family aspect, and say a quick thanks as Stiles ushers me out of the room. 

My eyes linger on the pin board behind the desk, a small picture of a girl with dark hair and blues eyes peeking from the corner on the board. 

Stiles

After I got Terra settled in her new room I had to get out. It was just so weird how the same day that I found her picture I found the girl and now she is staying in my house. It isn't the ideal situation because I still don't know if she is a supernatural creature but I couldn't just let her stay in the woods. So as promised I head to Scott's. I need to talk to him, maybe he will be able to figure out something by using his super wolf senses. 

"Scott?!" I yell up the stairs as I close the front door. I hear noises coming from upstairs so I head there, my feet following the familiar path to my best friend's room. As I round the corner to his room I pause by the door frame not wanting to interrupt, so I knock on the door but Scott already knows I'm there so the door falls open at the slight touch.

"What's up?" Kira waves from behind Scott, sitting cross legged on his bed. 

"Hi Kira. Anyways remember what I called you about? Ya, ok, so that's why I'm here." Scott nods along as I ramble. I sit in Scott's desk chair and spin to face Kira and Scott. I reach into my pocket and pull out the crumpled photo of Terra out. Smoothing the edges down slightly I hand the picture to Scott. "That's what I was talking about." 

Scott stares at the photo his brow furrowing. Kira leans over his shoulder to look at the photo. "Who's that?" Kira questions pointing at the photo. 

"It looks like a combination of Malia and Allison." A voice from the door way sounds. We all turn to see Isaac leaning on the door frame peering at the photo. As always an obnoxious scarf wrapped tightly around his neck, I don't bother to comment though, knowing that it is something Allison got for him.

Everyone turns to me awaiting the identity of the girl. So I clear my throat and recap my friends on today's events. From when I found the photo to leaving Terra in my house. At the end of my story everyone stares at me with open mouths. 

"So you found her at a bus stop and followed her into the woods." Isaac ponders, pursing his lips in thought afterwards. 

"Well it wasn't exactly a bus stop more like a bench." I shrug. 

"Weird." Kira mumbles, running a hand through her straight- black hair. 

"Yeah. That's why I came here. So does anyone recognize her?" I ask, my light eyes swimming with hope. 

Everyone shakes their heads but Scott. He looks up with slight realization in his eyes, "What was her name again?" 

"Well she said her name was Terra Blake but then she said she lied and said her name is Terra Carter. So obviously she's hiding something- but I also did just meet her and she may have been scared." I cut myself off before I start over analyzing things.  

"Hmm. I wonder." Scott mutters rubbing a hand down his face. 

"What! Do you know something! Is she a werewolf? Please say she isn't something creepy." I say as I practically fall out of my chair trying to get closer to Scott. 

"Great another werewolf?" Isaac says crossing his arms across his chest. 

"No. I don't think so at least. But Terra Blake sounds familiar, but if she says her name is actually Terra Carter than I have no idea who she is." Scott shrugs folding the picture and handing it back to me. I cringe slightly as the photo rips a little at the edge. For some reason I feel oddly attached to the photo, like it's the only thing that is confirming that Terra is actually real.

"So, can we meet her?" Kira says as she stands up. I glance up at Isaac and Scott and they both nod in a way of saying 'can we meet this mystery.' 

"Ok. But she's kinda defensive and shy at the same time. And I don't know how she'll do with this many people- but ok?" And with that we all stand- heading towards the exit, as I leave the room Isaac stops me by the door. 

"Just one question." 

"Kay." 

"Is she as hot as she is in the photo?" 

"Dude, not the time." I say as I push past him. I suddenly feel jealous at the thought of people like Isaac meeting Terra. I feel like Terra is my mystery to solve, not theirs. But I did drag them into this. As I'm heading down the stairs I hear Isaac close behind me. 

"I'm taking that as a yes." Isaac taunts as he passes me. 

  ♋

A/N: Is Stiles getting jealous? What no- *scoff*- you guys are seeing things. I didn't write that...... *evil smirk* (re-edited 3/2/15) And guys check out my friends new book: Chasing Zeus by simply_savi. If you recognize the name that is because she has been editing some of my chapters and I finally convinced her to write her own book!!!! 

edited again 8/17/116

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

321K 8.5K 47
When the angel Castiel loses the one thing he has ever cherished he changes, he no longer cares about the well being of others. Hell bent on getting...
46.2K 1.4K 32
Kidnapped. After a startling discovery, Ali has been taken captive by Luke and his army. Kronos has almost attained enough power to rise, but he nee...
29.6K 793 33
"My plan is simple. Kill the guy who carved the word freak into my skin and get out. What's yours?" Ali hated Shaw. She hated her mom for dying. She...
215K 959 7
I SWEAR THIS IS VERY DETAILED AND REAL Achievements: #7 in Detailed. 🤩