Primal

By MaybeManhattan

COMPLETED - To Evelyn Schubert the thought of having a predetermined soulmate seemed a bit far-fetched. Lucky... More

Author's Note
Prologue
Chapter One - Meeting Her Mate
Chapter Two - No Choice
Chapter Three - Leaving Her Family
Chapter Four - Home
Chapter Five - Soap and Scents
Chapter Six - No Sparks
Chapter Seven - Heat
Chapter Eight - Satin Sheets
Chapter Nine - Desperate
Chapter Eleven - Bubble Baths and Burning Houses
Chapter Twelve - He's a Better Kisser
Chapter Thirteen - Party Planner
Chapter Fourteen - Flower Power
Chapter Fifteen - Drunken Demons
Chapter Sixteen - Possession
Chapter Seventeen - Treading on Thin Ice
Chapter Eighteen - Promises
Chapter Nineteen - In My Blood
Chapter Twenty - Hidden Fantasies
Chapter Twenty-One - Arrival
Chapter Twenty-Two - Gala
Chapter Twenty-Three - Dancing with the Enemy
Chapter Twenty-Four - Denying Rejection
Chapter Twenty-Five - An Alpha's Distrust
Chapter Twenty-Six - His Thoughts
Chapter Twenty-Seven - Stubborn Shifter
Chapter Twenty-Eight - The Princess and The Plan
Chapter Twenty-Nine - Birthday Wishes
Chapter Thirty - Do it Yourself
Chapter Thirty-One - Bloody Knuckles and Broken Bones
Chapter Thirty-Two - The Monster That Loves Me
Chapter Thirty-Three - Past Your Bedtime
Chapter Thirty-Four - Fittings, Flirting and Fury
Chapter Thirty-Five - Rough
Chapter Thirty-Six - Dresses and Drama
Chapter Thirty-Seven - Husband and Wife
Chapter Thirty-Eight - Not a Chance
Chapter Thirty-Nine - Lost and Found
Chapter Forty - Tears Left To Cry
Chapter Forty-One - Escape
Chapter Forty-Two - Pieces of the Puzzle
Chapter Forty-Three - Heartbeat
Chapter Forty-Four - Come Back to Me
Chapter Forty-Five - More Than Happy
Epilogue
Final Author's Note
Sequel Announcement: Carnal

Chapter Ten - Beyond Repair

356K 16.5K 6.7K
By MaybeManhattan

I could do nothing but sit and listen to her sobs through the phone.

Tears had welled up in my own eyes listening to Vega's pitiful cries.

"Adam's working on seeing what he can do," I said hopefully. 

I heard her stop and sniffle.

"If he had done his job in the first place, this wouldn't have happened. The council thinks it was a rogue attack—probably the same one your boyfriend neglected to find," she spat bitterly.

I felt my jaw clench.

"He left men there to investigate. If anyone is to be blamed, it's them and Adam will deal with that. He's looking into it, so don't make any rash conclusions before you have actual facts, Vega. That's extremely unfair."

"Are you actually defending him?" She asked incredulously.

I took a deep breath. "Yes."

I heard Vega let out a breathy laugh.

"Well, that didn't take long."

"What?" I asked.

"You getting used to the high and mighty life. God, I knew this would happen to you! You used to be so strong-willed and stubborn and now that you're mated to an Alpha you think you can just forget about things that happen here because it doesn't affect you."

I was speechless at her outburst.

The line was silent for a few moments before Vega sighed. 

"Whatever, I don't expect you to understand. I know you hate your dad, but mine actually loved me so I want him back-"

I hung up the phone.

Too far, Vega.

I knew she was hurt but that stung. I sat down on the bed thinking about everything she said. 

I've barely been here a few days, I can't have already changed. Maybe she's just jealous that I've got a mate and she doesn't. 

I let out a snicker. She can have mine if she wants him.

The smile on my face fell as her comment about my dad began to play over and over again in my mind. "I know you hate your dad, but mine actually loved me..."

The bedroom door opened and Adam walked in slowly. "How is she?" He asked, closing the door behind him.

I just nodded.

"What's the matter?" He asked as he made his way over to where I sat.

"Nothing," I said shortly.

His hand reached out to touch my face and his thumb wiped a tear from my cheek.

Although the gesture was affectionate, I looked up to meet his gaze and his face was expressionless. I couldn't tell what Adam was thinking.

"Don't lie to me," he said, his voice low. 

His cerulean blue eyes were like a truth serum, as soon as I looked at him I couldn't hold it in. "She said something really rude about my dad," I sighed, looking away.

Adam's hand fell from my face and he sat down next to me on the bed, his weight on the mattress causing me to lean into him.

"She probably wasn't wrong," he said flatly. "But, hurt people hurt people, so don't let it get to you."

Was that supposed to help?

"Is that why you're so angry all the time?" I asked. As soon as the words came out of my mouth, I regretted them.

Adam didn't say anything, just looked around the room uninterested. 

The silence grew almost unbearable until he finally spoke.

"Speaking of your dad," he said looking at me. "My men went to question him this morning and he wasn't home. They tried him at the firm, but he wasn't there either. They couldn't pick up a trail anywhere in town. Do you know where he might have gone?"

My eyes widened at the information.

"Was the house empty?" I asked quickly.

Adam shook his head. "They didn't say."

"Find out," I said. "He and Mr. Chandler didn't get along..."

Again, Adam's face was unreadable. "Do you think your father had something to do with his disappearance?"

I shrugged. "I don't know that. All I know is that my father wouldn't have left my mom; I know that for certain. If he left town, she would be with him."

Adam nodded thoughtfully. "I'll have them check."

I let out a sigh and turned to Adam who was watching me intently.

Groaning, I laid back on the bed. 

"What?" He asked.

I closed my eyes after letting out a deep breath. "This wouldn't have happened if it weren't for me."

"What do you mean?" Adam asked.

"If I hadn't gone to the meeting, this wouldn't have happened. If I had just not been there, you would have done your job and caught the rogue and this wouldn't be happening. All would be well-"

"-if you had not met me," Adam finished.

Hearing him say it sounded wrong, but I couldn't correct it because it was the truth.

I felt his weight lifted of the bed and opened my eyes to see him leaving the room.

"Wait! Adam-"

The door slammed behind him, shaking a tapestry off the wall and folding to the ground.

I hastily got off the bed and sprinted across the room.

Opening the door, I ran out into the hallway, looking for him. I barely caught sight of his navy sweater turning a corner down the hallway and I began to chase him.

"Adam!" I called out again, running after him.

I rounded the corner and came to the grand staircase where he was descending quickly into the lower levels of the castle.

I was out of breath by the time I caught up with him, jumping the bottom three steps of each flight.

"Wait, stop!" I said, wheezing.

Adam stopped at the bottom of the stairwell, his back still facing me.

"That's not what I meant..." I started.

"I'll keep you updated on the search for Warren Chandler. We'll check your family's home tonight and if your parents are not there, I'll put out an alert. But, for now, don't bother yourself with it," he said flatly.

His deep, accented voice bounced off the marble walls and echoed both in the stairwell and in my head.

"Adam-" I began again.

"I don't want to talk about it," he said, his voice deepening.

"I just wanted to apologize," I whispered.

He said nothing, but, in the gleaming gold handrail I saw the reflection of a man whose face was distorted with anger and eyes dark with rage.

That was when it hit me.

This was not just a king. This was not just the most powerful Lycanthrope I would probably ever meet. This was not just my mate.

This was a wolf who had put on the guise of a sheep. This was a man who did not want his mate to be scared of him. This was a beautiful face hiding a terrifying beast.

... And I had just all but rejected him.

I watched the muscles in his back flex as he took a deep breath and I gulped. Turning away, I proceeded back up the stairs with haste.

I looked back over the handrailing as soon as I reached the top floor to see Adam gone from where I had left him.

Returning to the room, I closed the door quietly and crossed the room to the balcony doors.

I laid my head against the icy window to see almost two feet of snow coating the ground. I turned to the bed and—opening the sheer curtains—laid across it, placing my head on the pillow. 

The last thought I remember having was not about my dad, not about Vega or her father, but about Adam.

- - -

The ringing of the phone startled me out of slumber.

I got out of the bed in a hurry and answered the phone.

"Hello?"

"Alpha Superior Devereaux wishes for you to join him in his study at the top of the hour," a high-shrill voice said. I looked over to the clock. That was in six minutes. 

She hung up and so did I.

Why on earth they got someone with such an annoying tone of voice to be a telephone operator, I didn't have a clue.

I changed out of my t-shirt and jeans into a dress. I walked into the bathroom and tried to comb my hair.

I stared at myself in the mirror. Well, this is as good as it is going to get.

I was trying to look as nice as possible. I thought maybe Adam would have an easier time forgiving me if I did.

As I left the room a voice in the back of my head scoffed. Why on earth would you think this will impress him? Since when do you need his affirmation? And why on earth are you searching for forgiveness from someone who has done worse things to you and never apologized for it?

I tried to ignore that voice.

I knew I was not going home anytime soon, and I didn't want to sleep in the same bed as a man who was double my size and angry with me. I needed to be the bigger person.

How on earth do you expect to fall in love with a man whom you are afraid of?

I tried to silence that voice, but it made a good point.

I shook my head as I descended the stairs. I don't expect to fall in love with him.

I made my way down the hall and into his office. The guards weren't there today, in fact, no one was in the office at all. Come to think of it, I didn't pass one person on my way to his office.

Where is everyone?

The silence was nerve-wrecking, but I pushed open the doors and turned left to head into his office.

He sat at his desk, eyes peering at a sheet of paper in his hands.

His hair was tousled and sweater was gone to reveal a white undershirt which stretched across his protruding chest muscles and toned arms.

"Everything okay?" I asked warily.

"Sit," he said putting the piece of paper down.

I crossed the room, avoiding meeting his gaze and sat down in the chair across from his desk.

"Your mother was still at home today when they went back to check," he said leaning forward. "Are you sure your father wouldn't have left her?"

I nodded, still looking at the floor. "Certain."

"Why?" He asked. 

"Why what?"

"Why do you know your father wouldn't leave your mother?" 

I sighed. "He's a little co-dependent when it comes to her."

Adam didn't say anything and I looked up to see him staring at me intently, obviously waiting for more details I wasn't going to give. 

"Remember this morning when you said you would do anything I wanted if I extended my help to the search for Vega's father?" He asked slowly. 

I gulped. I wanted so desperately to look down at my feet the way I always did when I was nervous, but I couldn't look away. His eyes held me captive. 

Instead, I found myself nodding. 

"I've decided on what I wanted," he said standing. 

"What's that?" I asked. 

God, what is it?

Adam walked around the desk to stand in front of me, arms crossing against his chest. 

"A chance," he said, his eyes narrowing on me.

Well that wasn't what I thought he would say...

"What?" I asked. "What do you mean you want a chance?"

"A fair chance at making you want to be with me," he said. "I think this was doomed from the very beginning. Neither of us had a choice, making both of us miserable. If you give me a fair chance, I will make you want to stay here and you will willingly give me the time of day instead of being summoned to my office for a conversation."

My head was spinning. 

"How do you plan on doing that?" I asked. 

"Practically, we're looking at one hundred days. I get one hundred days to woo you, seduce you, and convince you to spend the rest of your life here with me. After that, if you're still unhappy, you can go home. However, this only comes if you give me a fair chance to prove myself worthy of your love." 

I sat in silence for a few moments. 

One hundred days is a long time, I thought. However, if I don't agree, I could be here for longer than that. Maybe he deserves a chance, I have been hard on him...

... because he kidnapped me and bit into my neck!

I sighed, conflicted.

"Well?" Adam asked. 

Then a small voice reminded me of one thing: What do I have to go home to? Vega is mad at me and my father is missing. 

"You get one hundred days, starting tomorrow," I said. "I'll try to be fair, but you cannot keep treating me like I'm some toy. I want to be involved here, help you run things, help find my best friend's father. I'm not just going to sit around for those one hundred days. Deal?"

Adam nodded. "Fine." 

We were both silent for a few minutes, letting the feeling sink in. 

Part of me was terrified. This man was manipulative. He got what he wanted, how was I to be sure he would hold up his end of the deal?

The other part of me was excited. What would experiencing Adam attempt to 'woo' me include? What did 'seducing' me mean?

This was going to be a chance for me to finally take the reins and call the shots, and I couldn't wait. 

"Why do you say your father is co-dependent?" Adam asked. 

I shrugged. 

Then I remembered our deal... be open and give him a chance. He needs to know

"My mom always worshipped the ground he walked on. She affirmed him. But, a few years ago she got sick," I explained. "She lost a lot of weight and isn't able to do much anything anymore. She's addicted to all kinds of painkillers and my dad gives them to her. I have no clue where he gets them from, but he needs to keep her alive and happy. She's still his sense of affirmation, and he needs her approval to survive." 

Adam sighed. "It's hard to believe a man like that has a soft spot," he said. 

"They're mates," I said. 

"Rare," he commented. "That hasn't happened between anyone but pure-bloods for a very long time." 

I nodded. "I know that now." 

I looked up at him and found myself scorching under his intense stare. 

"Will your mother be okay while he's missing?" He asked. 

I nodded. "She's just as co-dependent on him. She won't leave that house without him for the world." 

"I'm sorry," Adam said.

It was the first time I saw genuine emotion flash through his eyes.

"I don't know what you're sorry for," I whispered. "It's not your fault I grew up without them."

"I'm sorry that that's how you see men and relationships," he said. "Being mates doesn't have to mean co-dependency."

I tore my eyes away from him and stood up. "I don't need to be fixed. I also don't want you to feel like it's your responsibility to make me happy."

"It is my responsibility," he said, taking my chin between his thumb and index finger and lifting my face to look at him. "And I will fix this."

I fought back hot tears. Don't get attached, this is a hundred-day thing.

"What about you?" I asked. "Don't you need fixing?"

This smirk he gave me was almost frightening.

"Darling, I'm beyond repair."

- - -

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8M 146K 24
He is the King of Lycanthropes- unconquerable, powerful, principled. She is a mere human- young, radiant, compassionate. Without her, he will succu...
18.2K 762 10
When a mysterious red wolf shows up the other werewolves start to question their history. What happened centuries ago can only be found out from one...
227K 10.9K 65
Shy bookworm Sophie liked her nice, quiet life - but her world is about to be rocked when her incredibly attractive Alpha, Malcolm drunkenly confesse...
174K 7.2K 16
Who knew that a normal everyday road trip could end in discovering a whole different race of beings? Elizabeth sure didn't. Elizabeth is your aver...