Crissa's Mate

By Califia

Following her graduation from high school, Crissa elects to travel from Canada to the dense mountains of East... More

Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter-Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty-One
Chapter Fifty-Two
Chapter Fifty-Three
Chapter Fifty-Four
Chapter Fifty-Five
Chapter Fifty-Six
Chapter Fifty-Seven
Chapter Fifty-Eight
Chapter Fifty-Nine
Chapter Sixty
Chapter Sixty-One
Chapter Sixty-Two
Chapter Sixty-Three
Chapter Sixty-Four
Chapter Sixty-Five
Chapter Sixty-Six
Chapter Sixty-Seven
Chapter Sixty-Eight
Chapter Seventy
Chapter Seventy-One
Chapter Seventy-Two
Chapter Seventy-Three
Chapter Seventy-Four
Chapter Seventy-Five
Chapter Seventy-Six
Chapter Seventy-Seven
Chapter Seventy-Eight
Chapter Seventy-Nine
Chapter Eighty
Epilogue

Chapter Sixty-Nine

1.8K 145 4
By Califia

Crissa went back inside with tears of anger in her eyes. She saw how David had tried to push back against Julie's advances, ultimately leading him to run from her into the wilds. Just what would happen afterwards, during the mysteries of secluded wolf behavior, was weighing heavily upon her.

Once inside the cabin, she secured the door again with the chair. She then went into the bedroom and could see out the back window that the light of the moon, now high overhead, completely illuminated the countryside. Once again, she in felt alone, as the distant wailing of wolves near the mountains had begun again in an agitated way. She also felt now deeply afraid. Afraid not only for her own safety—remembering how the wolves had entered the cabin the month before, but fear also for David, so exposed to them out in the night. It was true that the wolf clan had not accepted him there. For like before, they sensed in him, and now obviously in Julie, a threat to their ancient territory.

Crissa sat on the bed and picked up the cell phone on her night stand. Realizing there were few people in the world whom she could even tell of her predicament, she thought immediately of Brad, Josh and Mary. She dialed the phone amid the approaching wail of the local wolves.

"Brad?  Yes, it's Crissa."

"Are you alright? And David?"

"We're up at my parents' cabin."

"Is he . . ."

"Yeah. He is . . . but already changed, Brad . . . and so has Julie!"

"Wait. It's a day early, right? And you say Julie's there? In the mountains with you?"

"Yes. And only with David right now. Somewhere . . . outside. And that's worrying me, Brad."

"OK, but Why?"

"You don't understand, do you? Julie could mate with him up here . . . and that would . . ."

"Yeah. I get it. I've thought of that."

Crissa was holding back tears.

"So, you still really love the guy, huh?"

"Very much, Brad. I'm so worried and scared right now."

There was incessant high-pitched barking and loud howling outside in the distance.

"What's that I hear, Crissa?"

"It's the local wolves. There are many in British Columbia. But they're never usually this . . . disturbed."

"Do you think it's because . . ."

"Yes, Brad. They can smell him. From miles away, possibly."

"Christ, Crissa! Do you think they could . . ."

"Of course they could kill him, Brad. He . . . and Julie up here. They've invaded their hunting area. Their breeding territory. They are a different species."

"Well . . . what about you, then? Are you secure inside?"

"So far, yeah. But David and I barely got out of here last month. It was just when he came back to being . . ."

"Yeah. I get it. So . . . do you have anything for protection, Crissa? A gun, a knife? "

"David made me buy a hunting knife. It has a case and a belt."

"Well put it on. Wear it now. At all times while you're up there. Do you remember that knife I had in Germany? Didn't you feel safer knowing I had it?"

"Kind of.  But you're not here, Brad."

"Wear the knife, Crissa. If a wolf other than David or Julie charges you from outside . . . plunge it into it's throat. Twist the knife inside its neck."

"God, Brad!  I don't know if I coulddo that . . . it's just too . . ."

"Could you do it to save David, Crissa?"

She was quiet. Immediately she saw his point.

"Go get the knife. Put the belt on your waist, OK? Now!"

She got up and walked into the kitchen while still on the phone with him. She found the belted knife in one of the shopping bags and struggled with the leather belt to adjust it to fit her waist. Finally putting it on with the heavy bade laying against her thigh she spoke.

"OK. I've got it on, Brad."

"Now take the knife out of the case and hold it in your hand . . . firmly."

"OK." She held the unsheathed knife in her right hand in front of her.

"Practice stabbing it forward with all your might, Crissa. You have to be fast. And you have to be strong. Remember . . . right into the attacking animal's throat."

"God, Brad . . . I . . . I don't know. This is so difficult for me."

"Crissa, let me tell you something. If you ever become one of them . . . a wolf. You'll have to kill. And you'll understand clearly . . . that in their world to eat . . . killing is just part of life."

"Why do you tell me that, Brad?"

"Because . . . I know what you must be thinking."

"What?"

"Loving David like you do. To have him bring you over into that  world. Wanting to share the curse with him. It's what you're thinking, right?"

Again, Crissa was quiet. Only the sound of the restless wolves howling in the moonlight could be heard outside.

"Yes, Brad," she finally admitted. "I do think about that . . . a lot."

"I thought you might. Now listen. I could learn to love the both of you, you know. You got that? And you know I already love Dave as a friend."

"Yes. I know you do."

"So, I could work on loving you, too, Crissa. Like David . . . in both those worlds."

"Thanks . . ."

"So, look. Mary and Josh have contacted me several times recently. They say they've got the money together, if we three put in a couple hundred more . . . to get Julie back to Germany. Apparently, she wants that. And it should make things much easier. On both you and  David. Am I right?"

"Of course! Julie already told me that. That she has a mate there. It wasn't long ago she insisted. She wanted nothing more than to return to him. So they could share a life in both worlds."

"Exactly."

"But Brad . . . things may have changed now. If David mates with her, being the animal he is right now . . . all will be lost for me."

She tried not to let her voice show her volatile emotions.

"Listen, Crissa. He is  an animal now. But he's more. You have to just believe he'll fight to keep you.  Even now, while in that state he's in."

"I want to believe it, Brad. I want to believe that so bad!"

"Alright. And didn't he come back to you before?"

"Yes. But now . . ."

"Keep your faith in him, Crissa. When the two of them get back to themselves, we'll have a full month to get the plan in motion. To send Julie back to the German village. To be with her guy. . ."

"Andreas."

"Yeah, him."

She remained stubbornly doubtful. Sensing that things might still go terribly wrong.

"Just keep me informed tonight, OK?" Brad asked this comfortingly.

"Alright," she said quietly. But It was of little comfort to her as she closed her phone. After holding the sharp knife bravely out in front of her again, she then slid it silently back into its leather case and waited.

* * *

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

398K 12.4K 72
The girl with no wolf. An extra mouth to feed. A liability. A defenseless miscreation. Seraphina had heard it all. She had felt it all too. The bon...
7.6K 578 33
Zoey Porter's life is not a fairytale. She isn't your typical love interest or the object of desire - someone else is the main attraction. Her best f...
2.8K 300 26
Heading out on their annual trip, Khalia Schaffer cared about only three things this summer: Friends, weed, and a damn good time. Meeting and linking...
531 146 26
She Wolf will not find her mate; I curse the Spring that came too quickly. I won't fall in love! A werewolf's fate is to find a mate. Varinia is terr...