No Matter What // Harry Style...

By blahblahriot

"In love we find out who we want to be; in war we find out who we are." - Kristin Hannah October of 1938, Eng... More

An Introduction
Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter 13
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter 16
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty-One
Chapter Fifty Two
Chapter Fifty-Three
Chapter Fifty-Four
Chapter Fifty-Six
Chapter Fifty-Seven
Chapter Fifty-Eight
Chapter Fifty-Nine
Chapter Sixty
Chapter Sixty-One
Chapter Sixty-Two
Chapter Sixty-Three
Chapter Sixty-Four
Chapter Sixty-Five
Chapter Sixty-Six
Chapter Sixty-Seven
Chapter Sixty Eight
Chapter Sixty-Nine
Chapter Seventy

Chapter Fifty-Five

2K 105 48
By blahblahriot

The snowy road weaves us back to the fair grounds with ease. I barely even notice the young folks walking alongside us. I'm too caught up in the boy with his arm around my shoulder.

I gaze up into his face, listening as he tells me about the work he has next week. I try my hardest to follow along, but the movement of his face is mesmerizing to me. It's like reading music. His eyebrows raise and fall with the slow cadence of his voice. A glimmer of something wild dances in the rim of blue around his green eyes. Even the way he wrinkles his nose when he sniffles from the cold is beyond charming.

Is that even possible?  

Can someone sniffle handsomely?

"Roses?"  

"Huh?" I ask. Harry doesn't say anything. Instead, his mouth settles into that crooked grin of his. "I couldn't hear you over the crowd," I stammer. 

He grins wider, biting his lower lip slightly. His dimples deepen and I swear I can hear my own heartbeat.

"What? I couldn't," I gulp.

"Hazel! Harry!" a voice calls out, saving me from further embarrassment. I look across the sea of people entering the carnival, searching for the voice. "Hazel! Over here!" it calls again. 

A dainty hand darts above the crowd. Lucy, sparkling with excitement, peals through a throng of people, prancing over with Niall in tow. I wave back at Lucy, chuckling at how Niall clutches his wool cap as he tries to keep pace with her.

"Tell me what you were thinking," Harry says. "Before they get over here." 

"I wasn't thinking anything," I lie.

"Liar," he calls me out, grinning. "Tell me."

I open my mouth to tell him to knock it off, but Lucy cuts me off.

"Darling!" she squeals, throwing her arms around me. "Long time no see!"

"Ah, I'm real sorry, Luce," I say. I catch Harry give a little smirk as he rubs his jaw and looks the other way.

"Pishposh," she replies. "We've been havin' ourselves a grand old time. Isn't that right, Niall?"

"A fine time," Niall replies. He folds his hands into his pockets, acting like he wasn't just trailing Lucy like a love sick puppy. 

"Just fine?" Harry asks, laughing. "You look like cupid shot you in the arse, mate."

"Harry!" I shout. Lucy's gloved hands fly to cover her mouth as she leans back and laughs. Niall's face lights up like a christmas tree. 

"You're one to talk," he says, pointing at Harry. "You think Hazel here would like to hear about how many times you got hollered at for having your head in the clouds last week."

Harry's eyes widen as my heart leaps out of my chest. I'm so smitten with him, the thought of him longing for me is an indescribable thrill. 

"You're a dead man," Harry threatens, grinning brightly. Niall lets out a sharp laugh and scurries off, taunting Harry with inside jokes as Harry darts after him. Niall nearly loses his feet which sends Lucy to the moon with laughter, but he manages to catch himself by clinging on to Harry. The two continue their ridiculous tomfoolery, laughing like a couple of school boys.

"What a pair of fools," Lucy says with a laugh. "Amazing isn't it?"

"Hm?" 

"Two months ago, we were locked in a bathroom, losing our stomachs over the middle of the Atlantic. And now," she pronounces, arm extended over the scene in front of us, "we're gazing out upon the finest of suitors!"

As if on cue, Harry yelps in between his own laughter, "Let go, you crumb!" as Niall unsuccessfully tries to put him in a headlock. Harry's laughter is so much lighter with Niall. It makes me laugh all the harder as I watch over their foolish display.

"Come on toots, let's get a move on before these two accidentally actually knock each other out." She places her arm in mine and tugs me to her. 

Feeling a bit bold, I call over my shoulder, "Alright boys, either you come win us somethin' at them booths over there or we're gonna find two fellas who will."

Lucy leans into me, giggling like crazy when we hear an immediate pause, followed by the scampering of feet in the snow as well as a "you get off!" and a "no, you get off!" behind us. We head toward the snow ball toss, but we don't get far before Lucy is torn from my side, her thin frame lifted into the air.

"You put me down!" she shrieks as Niall scoops her up from behind.

"What? Higher?" Niall asks, raising her as he leans her back against his chest. Lucy laughs wildly in response, kicking her legs out in front of her like a delicate ballerina. I laugh at how sweet they are when my own feet suddenly leave the ground.

"Oh!" I gasp. I feel as if I'm falling backwards, but Harry catches me and scoops up my legs, holding me against his chest like a groom carrying his bride. 

"You've got some nerve!" I gasp, clutching at my heart from the abrupt terror.

"Me?" he laughs.

"Yes, you!"

"You're the one trying to ruffle my feathers!" Harry grins mischievously. I purse my lips together in a desperate attempt to seal the giggles that bounce about in my lungs.

"I wouldn't dream of it," I say. "Now would you put me down? I'm gonna fall over."

Harry shrugs it off with a grin. "If you do, I'll catch you."

"I think you're underestimating my clumsiness."

"I think you're underestimating me," he says, his eyes firmly latching on to mine. "You fall, I catch. Deal?" My pulse quickens as his words sink into my skin. It sends an ache throughout my whole body and suddenly, I long for the taste of his mouth. I swallow hard, confused how my body could betray all my good senses.

"Besides," he continues, "How could I underestimate your clumsiness? You fell off a ladder and out of a window for pete's sake."

"I did not fall out the window!" I exclaim, laughing as I remember the broken lattice outside of my bedroom window. "I just tripped a little bit."

Harry's eyes crinkle as he lets out a small snort of laughter.

"Hey, Harry!" Niall calls from a few feet ahead. "You wanna make a bet?"

"What kinda bet?" Harry calls back.

Without missing a beat, Lucy hollers, "No! No bets!"

Niall ignores her. "Bet you a pint at Murphy's that I'm still faster than you."

Harry's eyes flicker toward mine.

"Harry..." I begin. "On my life, I swear if you-" I warn, but it's too late. Harry tosses me over his shoulder and takes off running. I can hear Lucy squealing and laughing as she fails to stop Niall from doing the same.

I grip onto my hat and the back of my coat to make sure I don't give the whole fair a sight. I scream with delight. A few people in the crowd laugh as we whiz by. Others just try to dodge out of the boys' way as fast as they can.

Harry almost peals ahead of Niall, but instead of gracefully coming to a stop, he slides on an icy patch. Harry's arms tighten around me as we crash into the snow, bracing me from the brunt of the fall. I hear Niall burst into laughter as I roll off of Harry and on to the ground.

"Look what you did!" I hear Lucy chiding Niall. I look over and see Niall throws his hands in the air like a victor.

"Are you alright?" Harry gasps. The look of guilt on his sweet face pushes me over the edge. I clutch my stomach as wild laughter erupts from my lungs. "I'll take that as a yes," Harry mocks, laying his head back against the wet ground. I only laugh harder in response.

"Not a minute after that line of yours!" I manage to get out. "I'll catch you," I repeat in Harry's accent.

"I'm sorry!" he yells in between his own laughter. "And quit it!" he hollers at Niall, who now bends over, cackling wildly.

Still laughing, I lean over and press a small heap of snow into a little ball. I hurl it in Niall's direction. My hands fly up to cover my mouth, shocked when it hits his cap right off his head.

Harry lets out a high pitched cackle as Niall's hands jerk up to now hatless head.

"What in the devil!" Niall exclaims. "What are you ball player or something?"

"Are you alright?" I call out.Harry props himself up on his elbows, his long legs spread out in front of him. He tosses his head back laughing as Niall tugs his hat back on.

"That depends," Niall says, laughing. "Harry, you gonna let your bird take out your mate like that?" 

Harry turns and looks at me and then back at Niall.

"Yup."

"I only got one thing to say then," Niall says. He reaches down, collecting a small heap of snow. He crushes it down into a little ball, and with a grin, hands it to Lucy and hollers, "Get 'em, doll!"

"Run!" Harry cheers. He takes my hand and we take off running through the winter wonderland.

Author's Note

Hi y'all- I'm sorry that it took forever & that it's short :( I still love you all, please don't be too mad at me! Also, I know the song I put has nothing to do with the time period. It's been on repeat while I was working on this chapter. I hope it makes you feel the way I've been feeling lately- hopeful. 

Love you all & I hope I haven't disappointed you too much. 

Much love, W

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13K 1K 50
Disclaimer: This story was originally written in 2016-2017 during the filming of Dunkirk and the release of HS1. A few details have been updated fo...
20.8K 526 13
4 years before D-Day , British troops are stranded on the boarder of France known as Dunkirk. They wait for salvation from promised Destroyer ships t...
81.2K 1.5K 28
Written in 2017 Completed in 2017 Published on January 1st 2018 [ #1 in Dunkirk 8/27/19 ] - Autumn Smith is a young 19 year old female, having to now...
117 10 6
If you haven't read Book 1, Stuck in HISTORY. I highly recemend you do so you know the story, and if you already finish the frist book, I welcome you...