Crissa's Mate

By Califia

Following her graduation from high school, Crissa elects to travel from Canada to the dense mountains of East... More

Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter-Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty-One
Chapter Fifty-Two
Chapter Fifty-Three
Chapter Fifty-Four
Chapter Fifty-Five
Chapter Fifty-Six
Chapter Fifty-Seven
Chapter Fifty-Eight
Chapter Fifty-Nine
Chapter Sixty
Chapter Sixty-One
Chapter Sixty-Three
Chapter Sixty-Four
Chapter Sixty-Five
Chapter Sixty-Six
Chapter Sixty-Seven
Chapter Sixty-Eight
Chapter Sixty-Nine
Chapter Seventy
Chapter Seventy-One
Chapter Seventy-Two
Chapter Seventy-Three
Chapter Seventy-Four
Chapter Seventy-Five
Chapter Seventy-Six
Chapter Seventy-Seven
Chapter Seventy-Eight
Chapter Seventy-Nine
Chapter Eighty
Epilogue

Chapter Sixty-Two

1.8K 139 12
By Califia

The following four days, in spite of Crissa's nervousness for Julie's possible appearance on campus, she had to go about the rigors of academic duties assigned to an undergraduate student—finalizing a research paper she was not prepared to write, and struggling through two first term exams. It was also obvious that her roommate, Trisha, due to her depressed moods and reserved demeanor during those days, had officially broke-up with her boyfriend, Robby. The relative consistent quiet in the dorm room those days, however, was broken when, Becky, the president of the campus wolf conservation group unexpectedly called Crissa that Thursday evening.

"Yes?  Oh, hello, Becky."

"Crissa. You haven't been to our last few meetings, so I just wanted to inform you of some serious developments we're currently involved with. I was hoping for your participation in an important event this week."

"Yes, Becky. I've been super busy lately. Mostly personal stuff. But I still support the club's efforts."

"Great. Well, as you may have heard, there was a wolf attack up in Alaska a few days ago . . . in Fairbanks. Something which we've been monitoring pretty closely."

"Yes?"

Crissa suddenly felt her pulse increase and a lightheadedness come over her as she recognized the very incident Becky was referring to.

"Yes, I did hear something about wolves in Alaska recently . . . you say it was an attack? "

"Yes. And well, this morning we learned that the victim . . . a professor who was studying wolves at the University of Alaska . . . has finally died of his injuries."

Crissa was silent.

"And this has caused a firestorm of hate and anti-wolf activity up there . . . and elsewhere, as the news of the professor's death continues to spread."

Crissa was galvanized by the information. Knowing that Professor Dekker had been critically injured, but that he might still survive, created different feelings than those in her now. The brief announcement produced a mixture of emotions in Crissa as she struggled to hear what it was Becky wanted from her.

"Looks like they've organized a Wolf Hunt campaign up there. To thin out the wolf population in that area. We're having a rally on campus tomorrow, Crissa. In front of the Biology building. To try and raise awareness for the protection of wolves that might be killed as a measure taken by the Alaskan authorities. We just don't want that destructive thinking to come our way. As you know, Crissa, it easily could here."

"Yes, Becky. You're right."

While it was tragic that the professor died in such an ugly manner, Crissa could still not divorce herself from her own raw feelings about the man whom she could never forgive. Could not excuse him for his cruel and irresponsible actions which led directly to David's and Julie's present and permanent ordeal.

"So, our group will be out there at noon tomorrow with banners and a sound system, letting our campus community know our message. That hunting down and killing wolves, just because we interfere with their lives and habitat, is unacceptable."

"Alright, Becky. I do have a class then, but I'll skip it to help out with the cause. I'll be there."

"Great! We could use your support, Crissa. I know that wolves are really lose to your heart."

As Crissa said good-bye, she thought that Becky's last words should have been referring more accurately to a certain wolf,  and still closer than ever  to her heart.

She then took her phone outside the dorm room for greater privacy to make a call. This was in response to Trisha laying quietly on her bed, wishing to hear of any diversion which might take her away from her current depression over Robby.

At first, she tried to reach David on the boat, as she had also for the previous three days and nights, but again to no avail. She knew his lack of satellite connection was most likely the cause, but still, with only two or so nights before the moon would be at its brightest point, Crissa felt intensely anxious about reaching him and to secure the time of his return to the port.

Next, she dialed Brad, who answered immediately.

"Crissa! I was just about to call you."

"I heard, Brad . . . Dekker is dead."

"How did you find out?"

"The wolf conservation group on campus here. It monitors these things. Anything concerning wolves. I just got a call from their president. They're having a rally tomorrow to protest Alaska's wolf hunting fever."

"Yeah that's definitely happening up here, Crissa. Enter the ugly hunters now."

"So Brad, do you realize with Professor Dekker dead, there's no chance now that he could have developed the curse that David and Julie share. Assuming it was Julie who attacked and bit him?"

"Exactly, Crissa. It was my biggest fear, with him in critical condition these days. That he would survive and morph into . . ."

"God. I can't imagine it. So . . . have you heard from or seen Julie?"

"We talked. Last night, Crissa."

"With Julie?

"Yes. She came to my house in the middle of the night."

"So . . . then she was back to  . . ."

"Yeah. Julie the girl . . ."

"Well, what did you . . ."

"We talked about the plan we have for her. To get her out of here."

"And?  What did she say?"

"At that point, neither of us had heard the news that Dekker had died. It wasn't until this morning that I learned of it. On the news."

"So Brad, did she give you any idea that it was her that brutally . . ."

"No. She didn't want to say much about any of that. Didn't even tell me what we both suspected, Crissa. That she was in wolf form when she broke out of Dekker's lab."

"She wouldn't admit to that?"

"She only told me she got out. Away from him . . . and there would . . . never be a next time."

"Does that mean . . ."

"Most likely it means she is the killer of the professor, Crissa. But I really don't know what any  of it actually meant. She just looked scared and tired . . . desperate to leave the area. Let's not forget, Julie knows what lies ahead of her . . . in just a couple of nights."

"Yes, Brad. Exactly two nights."

"Have you reached David on his phone? Out there on the damn ocean! I just can't!"

"Neither can I, Brad. I'm so worried about him . . . getting back here in time!"

"So you'll see he goes back into your cabin when he's back, right?"

"Of course, Brad. But that's just be the beginning of his difficulties in the mountains here. The other wolves are hostile towards him. And very territorial. I fear so much for his safety those nights."

"Look. Julie asked me . . . about David again, Crissa. She really feels she needs to see him now."

"Brad, I can't even begin to tell you how much . . . even the possibility of that disturbs me. You see, once those two have changed . . . we're dealing with life forms totally different. Totally primitive. I want to so much hold on to David . . . That just might not happen if . . ."

"OK. I see whay you mean, Crissa. So just keep your eyes and ears open these next days and nights for Julie. If anything happens to seriously change the course of events in either of their lives . . . it's going to be between now and then."

"I'm just afraid to think of it, Brad."

"When Julie left me, Crissa, I knew she'd disappear again. And obviously, she has. It's up to us to find her . . . and get the two of them through this next full moon. But we must remember . . . she can change into a wolf at any time. She's done it once without the moon . . . she can do it again."

Crissa's heart jumped as she thought of this. And just where the girl might be now.

* * *

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

772 35 18
When Gemma Greyson was a little girl, she followed a coyote into the woods. More curious than afraid, she was amazed when the coyote turned into a bo...
2.8K 291 26
Heading out on their annual trip, Khalia Schaffer cared about only three things this summer: Friends, weed, and a damn good time. Meeting and linking...
2.9K 167 23
At seventeen females will get their first heat, stronger than any other heat they will get in their lives so it makes it very easy for them to be cla...
14.4K 375 18
When Alpha Grey who owned the largest most powerful pack went for a visit, the alpha's daughter who had a dormant wolf seemed to make him addicted to...