Crissa's Mate

By Califia

Following her graduation from high school, Crissa elects to travel from Canada to the dense mountains of East... More

Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter-Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty-One
Chapter Fifty-Two
Chapter Fifty-Three
Chapter Fifty-Four
Chapter Fifty-Five
Chapter Fifty-Six
Chapter Fifty-Seven
Chapter Fifty-Eight
Chapter Sixty
Chapter Sixty-One
Chapter Sixty-Two
Chapter Sixty-Three
Chapter Sixty-Four
Chapter Sixty-Five
Chapter Sixty-Six
Chapter Sixty-Seven
Chapter Sixty-Eight
Chapter Sixty-Nine
Chapter Seventy
Chapter Seventy-One
Chapter Seventy-Two
Chapter Seventy-Three
Chapter Seventy-Four
Chapter Seventy-Five
Chapter Seventy-Six
Chapter Seventy-Seven
Chapter Seventy-Eight
Chapter Seventy-Nine
Chapter Eighty
Epilogue

Chapter Fifty-Nine

2.2K 149 9
By Califia

That evening, at after nine o'clock, Crissa was back in her room struggling to finish a paper she had to write for her Environmental Science class. Trisha, too, was reading for an exam and the room was decidedly quiet. Crissa was also waiting for a call from David, hopefully home safe sometime that evening from his first day of work on the fishing boat. She tried to get the whole Julie affair out of her mind, while evading questions by Trisha about the girl's appearance and then, just as abruptly, her disappearance.

"Well, as I understand it, she's gone back to Alaska, Trish," she said, matter-of-factly. I think we convinced her it's just too difficult to make it down here in BC. At least on your own. And as just a student."

"Yeah. OK. I just hope Troy and I weren't too hard on her. We were just trying to be realistic, you know. BC is one of the most expensive places to live in North America right now. Vancouver, especially."

"So true," she responded. "Guess I never thought my little home town would ever become such a popular place internationally. It's all good and bad you know."

"Yeah, San Diego has that, too," Trisha said, taking her eyes off her book. "Tourists are good for business . . . but it gets so annoying when you're just fighting for space. So you think your friend is really going back?"

Crissa was truly not even sure of Julie's current location, let along whether she would do the prudent things and return to her parents. Nevertheless, Crissa respected that was, after all, the girl's option."

"I really believe she will," she said, sounding as confidant as she could. The fact that she could be still there somewhere on the run, hiding out in Vancouver was in reality discomforting to Crissa, especially in light of the fact that the girl was without a cell phone, and living apparently out of a back pack.

"She's been through a lot, Trish," she added. "And well, one thing I've learned about Julie is . . . she's a real survivor."

I guess you get there at some point," Trisha said somewhat sadly. "Robby and I had this huge fight yesterday on the phone. It might be the end for us."

Crissa tried to stay focused on her roommate's dilemma, though she was learning that the girl seemed to thrive on drama. She stopped typing on her laptop and looked over at Trisha, sitting at her own desk.

"So . . . what happened, Trisha?"

"Well, it's kind of inevitable isn't it? I mean, how can a long distance relationship like this really work? Troy is hot. Definitely. And he cares for me too. Best yet? He's right here. In the flesh. I can't go on sexting with Robby on Skype. It might be OK for guys to do that, but for me it just doesn't do it. I need someone . . . in my arms. On top of me when . . . you know."

"Yeah. So . . . Did he also say, it's over then?  Did you tell him about Troy?"

"No!  But Robby is just beginning to understand that I can't go on with us . . . doing this distance thing.  And I can't fly to San Diego, every weekend! That's what he wants though. This week!  To get together in person and . . . talk about it.  Right. Talk. He'll just get me into bed and prey on my weakness for him, Crissa. I'm not so stupid."

"Well I guess then . . . you'll just have to make up your mind which of them it is. I mean . . . you can't go on with both."

"I don't know. Maybe I can. At least for a while. Until I'm sure about Troy."

"God, TrishaHow can you do that?  I mean, can you really make love with Robby now, up here and then go down and do that with Troy,  in San Diego?"

"I guess part of me says no . . . but there's a part of me too, that says . . . I can, Crissa. At least until I'm sure. So what would you do?"

"Well . . . never having the situation of two guys liking me so much . . . and never really being . . ."

"Sexual before?"

"Yeah, that too . . . until now.  I just know I couldn't let anyone else do the things David does with me. It would feel just . . . bad . . . weird.  I don't know."

"I know. You're right. I should just make up my mind and stick to it. With one guy. One good guy really is enough . . . especially the way both these guys can please you . . . God!"

Crissa hung her head in embarrassment. "Well . . . I can't compare. But it's all good with me."

They both laughed.

At that moment, Crissa's cellphone rang and she could see it was the very guy she was discussing.

"David!  Are you back in the harbor?" She quickly got up from her desk and walked into the bathroom for more privacy.

"Yeah. My arms and shoulders feel like they're going to fall off.  But OK, I'm back. Pretty satisfied with the new job. Just now getting into my luxurious bath."

Crissa smiled to herself.

"So, can we meet someplace?" he asked. "Say like . . . at ten thirty?"

"Yes! There's a Mexican restaurant near the campus. It's just off Westbrook Mall . . . on Thunderbird Avenue. I'll meet you there.  At Azteca."

"Sounds delicious. I just don't want to see any fish."

Crissa laughed out loud. "Promise," she said.

"See you there."

* * *

As planned, Crissa walked the distance from the dorm to the main streets connecting parallel to the UBC campus. She was waiting at a corner table when David, looking fresh from his shower and considerably sunburned, walked into the restaurant and smiled at seeing her. He had no trepidation about bending down and planting a long, loving kiss on Crissa's lips, just before sitting across from her. The two middle-aged women sitting across from them smiled and looked down at her menus in amusement, entertained by the young man's blatant show of affection.

"So how's our temporary guest from Alaska doing, back in your dorm room tonight?" he asked, holding up his hand for the waitress.

"Julie's gone, David. And I don't know where."

"So, she didn't say?

"She just stormed out. I tried to stop her. Told her how dangerous it is right now. With Dekker on the prowl. But she left, emotionally upset."

David's reaction was calm. He ordered two beers from the waitress who also placed a basket of corn chips with salsa between them and took their orders.

"Why?  Why was she so upset, Crissa?"

Crissa found it difficult to tell him the whole reason, as it would bring undue attention to the fact that she was wary of any interaction Julie might have with him. It just led her closer to the situation which she most feared—the two of them being together at the next and up-coming lunar transformation. Instincts, as Crissa was learning herself, were powerful and could at times be unpredictable in their outcomes.

"I don't know," she said distantly. "I guess she was just feeling . . . helpless down here. We were told by the RA this evening that she couldn't stay at the dorm anymore."

"I see . . . so with Dekker here, did you tell her she's actually much safer home right now?"

"Yeah, David. I did. But I don't know where she went, honestly. I'm really worried about her right now."

"She should just call me."

Crissa felt her pulse rise.

"Her phone was . . . it was lost, she told me. When she escaped."

"So why didn't you just offer her . . ."

David paused. He looked at Crissa in his perceptive way. He remained silent for several moments, appearing to understand. Realizing her apparent unwillingness to offer Julie a chance to get in touch with him.

"Crissa, you don't have to worry about me and Julie. See, I was never really attracted to her . . . at least beyond our friendship. And as far as . . ."

"Yes. That's the point, David. When you both are . . . operating on your animal impulses. We both know what happened with Julie and Andreas . . ."

"I was there, Crissa. I'm fully aware of it."

"Well then . . . you can see why I'm so . . ."

"Worried?  About my actions as a wolf around her?"

"Yes, basically. And about Julie. Her animal desires for you . . . in both worlds, David."

He paused and thought again for a moment.

"Well. Julie might have  impulses she can't control. But just as I did in the past, I know I can . . ."

"Are you so certain you can, David? Do you really know yourself . . . so well yet as a . . ."

"As . . . a beast?"

"No!  I mean as an animal . . . as we all are."

"I understand your feelings, Crissa. And you're right. I haven't been my . . . other self really long enough to know its limits. Or all my . . . emotions there. But I just don't think . . ."

My love, I trust your intentions. I really do. But it's Nature  I can't speak for."

David stared into his glass of beer. "Maybe you are wise then in this, Crissa. The best thing we could do for Julie is to somehow . . . get her back."

"She may be on her way now. I hope  she is."

"No. Not to Alaska . . . to Germany."

"Wow. Yes. Do you think it's possible?"

"If we all make it possible for her. Yes. I think Josh and Mary would help out too. Knowing what they know. We all could help with the cost of tickets. And all else she might need to relocate back there . . . to that village. The place where someone truly loves her."

"Yes! And loves her In both worlds."

Crissa reached across the table and took David's hands in hers. I totally agree it would be best for her now. Under these very real and extreme conditions. She would not be alone there, in either world. You saw, as I did, David. How Andreas adored her as a human, as well."

"It's worth a shot to move on that," he said confidently. "We must just get in touch with her and give her that hope."

Crissa looked into David's eyes, now sparkling back to her proudly.

"I've also got some news for you," he said, seemingly anxious to share it.

The food they had ordered was now brought out and David took a long drink of his draft beer before he spoke.

"This captain of the fishing boat? Well, he actually owns the whole fleet. When I told him that I'd been crab fishing in Alaska, the guy really lit up. He told me he's putting together a trip out to the traps he's got a license for off the north Alaskan coast. He goes several times each year. It's about a ten day trip out to the traps. To empty them and take the haul of crabs back to Vancouver. He wants me to go, Crissa. Says I'm already valuable to him.

"But David! In ten days . . ."

"No. I checked. I'd be back at least two days before the moon starts its full thing. I'd be back by then. Back in your cabin on the mountain. As we've planned."

Crissa was silent. She stared at the tall glass of golden beer still untouched before her. "Isn't that still just too close, David? Too . . . dangerous for you?"

"No I can tell by the phase of the moon by then that I'll not feel the changes coming on. Not for at least two more nights."

"But why, David? Why would you . . . would we . . . risk anything to happen which might . . ."

"Crissa, the way crab fishing works, the captain shares his catch profits with the crew. A simple percentage to each. It comes out in the thousands of Canadian dollars, even for the smallest ten-day haul. It could be many thousands of dollars. You know how I can use that money."

"Yes but . . ."

"The boat is fully contained. Bunks and a galley. Warm and cozy for the crew. Just ten days of no sleep and solid work. Then, home with a fatter bank account. That's when I'll go up on the mountain . . . and do my thing. OK?  

Crissa was silent.

"You'll be there to pick me up when the time is over. And we can get on with our lives. Lives as lovers."

David then stood up unexpectedly and leaned over the length of the table, nearly climbing on top of it to kiss her again. This he did boyishly and with unleashed affection.

The two women across from them stared as it all with their mouths open. Reveling in the display of youthful enthusiasm—the two obvious lovers.

"But David . . . are you certain you'll . . ."

"Yes. I'll be fine. We'll  be fine. Somewhat richer . . . and fine!"

She looked back into his exuberant and affectionate eyes.

"You know I can use this money, Crissa. To stay living down here and possibly go back to school sometime soon. Once my transfer comes through. Look, my love.  I've already given the captain my answer.  And he has my word."

Crissa knew she could not interfere with this. David's future plans. She was just all too glad those plans included her. Her, as his lover and confidant. But it also included the assurance that he could remain in British Columbia where she could be at his side. Where, on except for any brightly moonlight night, she could make love with him in the limited, yet satisfying ways they had learned to express their passions for one another. For now this was enough, and all she could ask for.

* * *

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

15.1K 710 107
'Snow' is like her name in many ways but unlike it in many others. When she moves into a new town in a new state very far & different from her birth...
87 5 33
"It is said that when a werewolf becomes of age, they shall change, those that do not, do not belong in the pack and will remain servant of the pack...
13.7K 14 4
Get ready to dive into a thrilling rollercoaster of a senior year with Amaris as she navigates the mysterious twists and turns of her ever-changing l...
772 35 18
When Gemma Greyson was a little girl, she followed a coyote into the woods. More curious than afraid, she was amazed when the coyote turned into a bo...