Identity | h.s

By mindlessxwriting

not everyone is who they say they are. More

Identity
Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
a/n
PLEASE READ

Chapter Ten

267 38 5
By mindlessxwriting

Thank you for 1k reads and 200 votes, it means a lot :)

My dad and I haven't spoken a lot since he found out about the messages I had been receiving. It's been seven days. I haven't had any messages since that night so I am hoping that things will die down a little.

Right now, I am just sitting in the living room watching a tv program that I have never heard of or seen before. I'm not really paying attention to what is happening as my mind is focused on what my dad is saying to the person he is talking to on the phone in the kitchen. His voice is pretty faint but I can make out everything he is saying.

"I need more time."

"Yes."

"No, she can't know about this yet."

There was a pause but then I heard him shuffling about in the kitchen before replying once again.

"Fine. Just give me one more month."

"Three weeks then?"

"Thank you and yes, I can make it."

"Ok, goodbye."

I could hear my dad walking towards the living room so I tried to act as if I wasn't just listening to his conversation that seemed very sketchy. What does he need more time for? What's happening in three weeks?

"I uh- I have to go out of Manhattan for some work for a few days. Alec will stay here with you, that way I will know that you are safe and he can help you with your... training." He explained, although he seemed nervous.

I sighed before replying, "Again? Dad, I don't like it when you go away for work, even if it is just for a few days. Besides, what do you even do because the office is here in Manhattan?" I questioned. I could tell that what I had just said made him feel very uneasy because his eyes keep shifting from mine to the window. My dad works as a psychotherapist, although sometimes he has to leave Manhattan or sometimes country - which I don't quite understand why - to work with other people. I don't know the full details of his job but it keeps him pretty busy.

"Sorry, darling. I will see you in a few days, Alec will be here in an hour." His apology was sincere but I still rolled my eyes.

"Okay. Have you packed?" I asked, raising my eyebrows.

"Yes, well I sort of found out about this this morning so I am ready to go. I'll be leaving in about 5 minutes because I am in a rush so I'll say my goodbye now." He said before lightly kissing the top of my forehead then walking out of the room to the staircase.

"Wait, dad!" I shouted before he could make his way upstairs.

"Yes?" He asked as I poked my head around the corner of the door frame so he could see my face.

"Happy Birthday" I smiled. He beamed before letting out a laugh and thanking me.

I actually sort of forgot about his birthday because he doesn't like to celebrate it in any way, but I quickly remembered and I'm glad because now he seems in a happier mood.

One short hour later and there is a knock on the door. I rush out of the living room before swinging the front door open.

"Alec!" I screamed before flinging my arms around his neck, nearly choking him.

"You- do this- ev-ery time." He managed to say between choked breaths. I released my grip before bursting into a laugh. 

"It's just nice to see you." I beamed. "Come in." I said before walking into the living room.

"Did your dad say where he was going this time?" He asked before making himself comfortable on one of the sofas.

"Nope. He never does. It was just a simple explanation, a goodbye, and then he left about 5 minutes after that. I wished him a happy birthday too which put him in a better mood, I guess." I explained before sighing and sitting on the opposite sofa.

"Ah, I see." He sighed. "Wait, it was Uncle Nick's birthday today? No way! Damn, now I feel bad." 

I laugh before rolling my eyes. "Alec, you know he doesn't like any sort of fuss on his birthday anyway."

"Right, yeah, because of what happened befo-"

"Yes." I quickly snapped. "I don't want to speak of it, please." I sigh.

"Sorry... Well, I'm gonna go get some food." He announced before leaving the room.

Alec and I have been pretty close ever since we were young. There isn't a huge age difference between is which is pretty cool. Alec has always been there for me which I appreciate a lot. We're like brother and sister in a way, I guess. He's quite a bad-ass. Always getting into some sort of fights, he's been arrested a couple of times but not for anything major. He has a few tattoos on his arms which are cool and his arms are very muscly as he goes to the gym regurlary and of course, trains with me quite often. His hair is always in a quiff and it suits him a lot, I like the colour of his hair too, it's dark brown, sort of chestnut-like.

A knock on the front door snaps me out of my thoughts. Alec didn't go anywhere, did he? I shrug before getting up then walking to the door. I look through the peep-hole but I could only see a tall, dark figure leaning against the door frame. It was quite dark outside which made it hard to see.

The person knocked on the door once again, but this time a lot harder.

"Sierra, open the door. I know you're there. It's cold out here" I stood still at the sound of their voice. It took me a few seconds to work out who it belonged to.

Harry.

Of course.

I sighed before swinging the door open.

"Harry, what are you-" 

"Hi." He interrupted.

"Uh, I, what are you doing here?" I tried to repeat.

"I was passing so I thought I would drop by but-" He paused before locking his gaze on something - or rather someone - behind me. "-but it looks like you are already occupied." He finished.

I turned my head around and smirked at Alec, who was now standing in the doorway of the living room. Alec and I both burst into hysterics, I was doubling over in laughter while Harry just stood there, confusion shown clearly in his features. His eyebrows were furrowed and his mouth was parted slightly, closing and opening as if he wanted to say something.

After about a minute of constant laughing, I decided to explain myself.

"Harry, this is Alec. Alec, this is Harry." I introduced. "Alec is my cousin. He is here to stay with me for a couple of days because my dad will be out of Manhattan for a short while for work." I explained to Harry, taking in his appearance - he was wearing a plain black t-shirt and black skinny jeans - before turning to Alec. "Harry is in school with me. Although, he shouldn't actually be, because he is 20, not 18 like he told me." I smirked before looking back to Harry who looked completely dumbfounded and utterly shocked while glaring at Alec.

It took a while for Harry to compose himself before answering.

He laughed, before clearing his throat. "So, Alec, what do you do?" He asked, which was completely out of the blue. Why was he making conversation like this with someone he doesn't know, and why all of a sudden?

I looked at Alec who seemed to be just as shocked as I was. Oh how the tables have turned within the matter of minutes, Harry caught us off guard.

"I just help out at one of the restaurants down the road. How come you're still in high school? I mean, you're 20, come on bro." He joked. Harry seemed quite amused by his question. He chuckled before answering.

"Wouldn't you like to know," He smirked before adverting his attention to me.

"Dinner. Tomorrow night. 7pm. I will pick you up, be ready." He announced unexpectedly.

"No." I said sternly, shaking my head slightly.

"No? Why not? I said I was sorry." He whined which was quite irritating.

"It's not that. I'm busy tomorrow." I said.

"Doing what?" He scoffed.

"Alec, apparently." I laughed and Alec joined in. I know that it is wrong to say something like that, especially about my cousin but it seemed like a pretty good comeback.

"You're disgusting." Harry spat.

"Hey, you were the one who made an assumption like that." I giggled. "Now, if you don't mind, I'm going to have something to eat. So please leave."

"Just please, have dinner with me tomorrow night." He pleaded before glaring at Alec once again which only made Alec retaliate.

"Jealous that she would rather spend family time with her cousin than with  a sweet, and caring guy like you?" Alec scoffed before chuckling to himself.

I sighed before gently pushing him out of the door.

"No." I repeated. "I will not. Bye, Harry." I forced a smile before closing the door and turning to Alec. Once again we both burst out laughing.

"What a handful." Alec joked.

"I barely know the guy and already he wants to take me out for dinner." I said confusingly.

Our laughter had gradually stopped as we walked into the kitchen to find something to eat. After about 10 minutes of searching, we decided on a pizza each.

"So, how is Uncle Ron?" I asked. I hadn't seen him in a couple of weeks which is a shame really.

"He's good. He was asking about you on Monday night though and he said he was sorry that he didn't see you after we had our training session."

I nodded in response. "That's good to hear, and oh, it's fine. I'll stop by sometime on the weekend." 

"All right, he'll be glad to see you." Alec reassured. "How long until the pizza is ready?"

"15 minutes." I confirmed, Alec sighed but then nodded in response.

"Your dad mentioned something about a few messages from an unknown number?"

"Ah. Yeah. I don't know what is going on with that." I said while picking at my nails.

"Tell me what the messages have said and exactly what you were doing on each day." He ordered.

And that is exactly what I did. We spent the rest of the night talking about the situation and eating pizza. I explained every detail that I could possibly remember from each day a message was sent. Alec and I had come to the conclusion that we should wait for something else to happen before deciding on what to do. He also said that he had a few contacts of some sort that could maybe help us all. Right now, I am quite relieved, it feels as if a huge weight has been lifted off of my shoulders.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

108K 2.4K 27
Not everyone is what they claim to be.
98.4K 3K 31
This isn't your typical fan fiction.
6.3K 203 37
•Sometimes, actions speak louder then words•