The Harrington Series Book#2:...

By jmhallewell

"I've always found beginnings to be scary and endings to be sad. Taking the first step toward telling you i l... More

Author's note
Cast
Prologue
Chapter 1: Nightmares at Dawn
Chapter 2: The Russian Man
Chapter 3: The Shrink
Chapter 4: Warning
Chapter 5: Cole Michael Harrington
Chapter 6: Lies
Chapter 7: Photograph In the Rain
Chapter 8: Mini Cole Michael Harrington
Chapter 9: A place to call home
Chapter 10: Lull in the pain
Chapter 11: Cries in the night
Chapter 12: Big Brother
Chapter 13: Bas
Chapter 14: Stranger in the night
Chapter 15: Ballerina
Chapter 16: Little girl
Chapter 17: A mother's sacrifice
Chapter 18: Forever
Chapter 20: Trust me*
Chapter 21: Making Deals
Chapter 22: Find Me A Thief
Chapter 23: The Mafia
Chapter 24: Red On White
Baby by Me
Katerina Vasiliev
Chapter 27: Death is calling
Chapter 28: Where it started
Chapter 29: Love Triangle
Chapter 30: Déjà vu*
Chapter 31: Aston Martin
Chapter 32: Oak Tree
Chapter 33: It All Burns Down
Epilogue

Chapter 19: Maid

2.3K 204 14
By jmhallewell

Ten months and twenty-two days...

That is how long I've been with Stefan. I have made it a habit to keep a diary to recount everything that has happened to me and by far, the day I left the safety of the Manor was the day my life went to hell, I just didn't know it back then.

Bas is one year and four months old. Stefan threw him a lavish birthday party four months ago. It was a generous offer from him and I was grateful. My son has learned how to walk and I missed his first steps because he was not with me. His first word was 'mama' only that he said it to his governess and not me and now he had some sort of independence from me. It is like we were growing apart and I can feel it. Our bond is strained. He cries more for his governess than he does for me and he finds it perfectly alright when I am not around. It pains me deeply but on the positive side, as the weeks slip by, Stefan trusts me a little more each day.

I am not followed around the mansion anymore. I am allowed to go outside the mansion but not outside the gate. I still can't make outside contact but I hope he will trust me to that extent soon enough.

He still demands to be pleased and I do my best stomaching it all even faking orgasms when none are forthcoming just to earn some points with the devil. On some nights he doesn't want intimacy. He just wants to hold me through the night. I prefer those nights. He is a peculiar man with wild emotions. Sometimes he is happy and on those times I get to see Bas frequently. Sometimes he is angry and everyone stays out of his way. Amazingly though, he can lash out at everyone but not me. He is always gentle with me. He says I calm him down. That's a first. Nick used to say I rile him up.

Today is one of those days he is upset and the constant yelling from down the hall is evidence enough. A deal he was working on has gone bad. He made investments; that's all I know and want to know. The lesser I know the better. His business dealings are questionable.

"Again?" I asked Viktor who is the bodyguard assigned to me.

We have become friends over the months; at least when Stefan isn't looking, we can crack a few jokes. My game plan is to make as many friends as I need should the day come when I need to escape.

"This time it's really bad." He whispered. "Rumor is he has lost over one hundred thousand."

"How?"

"Stolen," Viktor added. "It's an inside job so we are all suspects, with the exception of his lovely rose."

My heart picked up the pace.

"Who would dare steal from him? It's stupid."

"Only one person dared to. His older brother. Things aren't going so well for him."

I became immediately curious about more details. Stefan has never mentioned any family members. "What happened to him?"

"He's locked up down below and beaten every day. He hasn't killed him because he thought it would be too easy. Miss Naila, never cross him. He trusts you the most. Just imagine how angry it would make him if you betray him."

"I can only imagine it." I sighed.

The double doors flung open and Stefan stepped out of his office fuming mad. He threw me a nasty glare before coming over and grabbing me by the side of my arms.

"I need you to help me." He pleaded looking destroyed.

I was scared but I put on a brave face. "Of course. What do you need?"

I know what he needs. It is the same thing he needs when he is unstable. He took me away to his office and locked the door. As per routine I started to take off my clothes before he grew impatient but he stopped me when I had unzipped my dress halfway.

"Today I don't want that." He zipped me back up. "Someone has stolen from me. I need you to make nice with the helps until you find out who did. If you find the thief, Bas moves in permanently and you can see him every day no restrictions."

I am surprised by the generous offer. Having my son with me is be all I need. But with Stefan every upside had a downside. He gives as much as he is willing to take away.

"And if I don't find the thief?"

"Then I'll shoot everyone in this house dead and I'll make you watch."

At least he isn't threatening to take my son away! I have never really watched anyone dying. It will traumatize me to watch several deaths.

"I'll do it. I'll find your thief."

He nodded, still infuriated but slightly less jumpy. He came up to me holding my face in his hands. "I was thinking, we've been together for ten months now. I think we should take the next step in our relationship."

I grew pale, hoping he won't say marriage. That will be like signing my death certificate. He left me in the middle of his office and marched up to his large desk. He opened a drawer and retrieved something. As soon as I saw the box, I froze. My worst nightmare is about to come true. 

"I would like to believe I've proved I have nothing but good intentions for you and Bas. I love you both. You know that right?"

"Yes... yes I do." I stammered slightly.

"Then it is out of that love for both of you that I think it's time we become a family. The three of us, we should be a family."

He got down on one knee and opened the small box revealing an impeccable diamond ring. It is huge. I am speechless.

"Stefan-"

"Naila Bellingerre, will you marry me?"

I hesitated, watching him keenly. I know Stefan hates to be kept waiting. If he senses my hesitation it will anger him. No isn't an answer he wants to hear but an immediate yes would equally make him distrustful. I know how to play him. I want to say yes to his proposal but I also know he doesn't expect me to say yes. That is why he had proposed in his office as opposed to a gala in front of his friends. He doesn't want to be embarrassed."I'll be honored but this is sudden."

"I understand." He answered with a small smile, rising to his feet. "Take the ring, keep it and should you choose to say yes, wear it. But Naila, my love, don't keep me waiting too long. You know how I get when my patience runs out."

He placed the ring in my hand and kissed my lips.

"I love you."

"I love you too."

I have learned to say those words. Saying them to Stefan makes him happy. A happy Stefan equals more visits from Bas.

"I was wondering if I could see Bas today. Ever since he called Eva mommy, I just can't help but feel I'm missing out on major milestones in his life." He poured himself a glass of whiskey but knowing how angry he is, I held his wrist deterring him from drinking it. "You know how you get when you drink while angry. For my sake, don't. Let me hold you instead."

He set the glass down and took my hand into his leading me to his couch facing the window. I sat down and he lay his head on my chest finding comfort in my arms. I played with his curly hair humming a soft tune that I often hum to my son to get him to sleep. He likes it too. It is important for everyone in the mansion that the beast is calmed. I kept humming, stroking his cheeks and hair as I plotted how to get away from him.

"Stefan?"

"Yes Naila?"

"You never talk about your family. Are they in the red zone?"

Red zones are things he doesn't want to talk bout. He broke away from my hold, looking at me with the softest gaze.

"Yes they are." He answered, taking my hand into his. "But with you, with you and Bas I can have a family of my own. We can be happy and maybe even..."

A knock on the door interrupted him. He got up to answer it. A moment later after speaking in hushed tones with whoever was on the other side of the door, he faced me. "It looks like we will have to reschedule this conversation. I'll need you to come to me tonight. Wear something sexy." He instructed, kissing me before giving me a firm spank that culminated in him grabbing my bum. "Beautiful Naila, do think about my proposal. I'm waiting."

I left him and returned to my room. 

I sighed in relief cursing him for always making matters more complicated. I ignored the maid making my bed and fluffing my pillows on my way to the bathroom. Taking my seat in front of the mirror I decided to start fixing myself up before nightfall.

The maid came over and opened a faucet. I wanted to look up and ask her what she is up to but she grabbed a hairbrush and started brushing my hair.

"Face the mirror Miss Bellingerre and wash your hands in the sink." She instructed me. "Don't say a word. My name is Merideth Parkins. I work for the police. I've been spying on Stefan Romanov for the last one year." She pulled my hair up into a neat bun and smiled softly before releasing it all down only to start brushing it again. "We need your help to take him down. You're the only one who can get close enough without raising any alarms." Her brown eyes met my own in the mirror. "Naila, we know he has your son. We don't know where he keeps him as yet but help us and we will help you. I will keep in touch."

She closed the faucet just as I withdrew my hands and dried them.The police! This is great! But what if it's s test from Stefan and I fail it??

"Miss Naila I think you should wear your hair up today. You have a beautiful neck." She excused herself.

If it's true she's the police, my nightmare will likely come to an end.

But what if Stefan finds out?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

51.1K 1K 37
I would bet none of you have ever had that dream summer that all of us want.... that summer where you meet a boy on the beach and go surfing even tho...
15.4K 244 49
[ UNEDITED ] "Do you seriously think that low of me? Do you think I would do that to you after everything I told you? after all that we went through...
6.3M 135K 52
𝐕𝐈𝐕𝐈𝐄𝐍𝐍𝐄 𝐖𝐇𝐈𝐓𝐋𝐎𝐂𝐊 - all her hopes and dreams of running away from the luxurious lifestyle with her boyfriend are ruined when she fin...