Crissa's Mate

By Califia

Following her graduation from high school, Crissa elects to travel from Canada to the dense mountains of East... More

Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter-Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty-One
Chapter Fifty-Two
Chapter Fifty-Three
Chapter Fifty-Four
Chapter Fifty-Five
Chapter Fifty-Six
Chapter Fifty-Seven
Chapter Fifty-Eight
Chapter Fifty-Nine
Chapter Sixty
Chapter Sixty-One
Chapter Sixty-Two
Chapter Sixty-Three
Chapter Sixty-Four
Chapter Sixty-Five
Chapter Sixty-Six
Chapter Sixty-Seven
Chapter Sixty-Eight
Chapter Sixty-Nine
Chapter Seventy
Chapter Seventy-One
Chapter Seventy-Two
Chapter Seventy-Three
Chapter Seventy-Four
Chapter Seventy-Five
Chapter Seventy-Six
Chapter Seventy-Seven
Chapter Seventy-Eight
Chapter Seventy-Nine
Chapter Eighty
Epilogue

Chapter Forty-Seven

2.5K 177 3
By Califia

As Crissa entered her dormitory room, she saw Trisha this time sitting at her desk, and in what appeared to be a heated conversation on her smartphone.

"No, Robby!  I can't live under those conditions. You either trust me . . . or you don't!  I can't just stay here in my room and study . . . twenty-four seven. I mean, Jesus!"

Crissa quietly passed by her roommate who seemed completely oblivious to her presence."

"I don't care!  I'm going out with some new friends, that's all. It's Saturday night tomorrow, if you haven't noticed."

Crissa tried to act busy with her books and clothes to not appear to be eavesdropping.

"Go out yourself, then.  I don't mind if you do. We knew this was going to be difficult. But neither of us are in prison, Robby."

Crissa looked over and Trisha and their eyes met briefly.

"Fine then, Robby. Think what you want . . . I'm going  to that party tomorrow night. I don't care what  you say."

She then clicked off her phone, and for Crissa's sake, gave her middle finger to the device as she threw it on her bed.

"Asshole!"  She concluded.

Crissa turned and faced her open closet, not sure whether to smile or keep a serious expression on for Trisha's sake.

"What do you think about him, Crissa?" Trisha asked. "He acts like I'm going to start screwing every guy here on campus. God, no trust!  No respect!"

"Yeah, I can see this is going to be difficult for you both," Crissa answered diplomatically.

"He says I shouldn't go to the party tomorrow night. Just because I told him it seemed like a good one . . . with lots of people . . . and maybe a lot of drinking."

"So, if you two have been together so long, Trish . . . why would he not  trust you?"

"Because he's an idiot!  A typical jealous, possessive jerk  sometimes. And it looks like he'll always be that way while I'm up here and he's in San Diego!"

"Well, he can't really expect you to be a hermit  up here. I mean . . ."

"How about a nun!  That's more like what he's expecting, isn't it?   Like I can't even talk  to guys. Jesus!  I'm a big girl, Crissa. I can handle myself with these losers. Guys who are always on the make. He just gives me no credit for that! There's no trust there!"

"Yeah. He seems pretty unreasonable." Crissa walked across to Trisha's side of the room to comfort her more. "Do you really think it's because he doesn't . . ."

"No. It's mainly about . . . the drinking."

"Oh."

"See. I'm a freak about exercise and diet. . . and I think you know that about me now."

"Yeah, OK."

"And so, I'm not really used to alcohol. I mean, my system can't take it. And that actually got me into this trouble. This shit I'm having with Robby right now."

"Well how so?

"Long story. But you should know. See, once we went to this party together. Everyone was getting really drunk. I don't remember much of it, but I guess I ended up sitting on some guys lap. Well, actually, he  pulled be on top of him.  And then he managed to kiss me  on the lips before I could get away from him."

"Oh, my gosh," Crissa said, closing her eyes tightly as if to hide the scene from Robby.

"Well . . . you guessed it. Robby walked in on that. Just when it was happening. And he's never gotten over it or let me drink anything since."

"I see . . . But this seems like  maybe more than that, Trisha. He's very possessive of you."

"Tell me about it. Too possessive!"

"Well, I guess you could say he does love you, then."

"Love?  or obsess  over me?"

Crissa was silent.

"So, are you coming with me to Troy's party tomorrow night?"

"You're really going to go now?"

"Definitely  I'm going to go. And to any other party that comes my way up here. He doesn't own me."

"Well, to be honest, Trish, I won't be going. This club I went to the evening? It has this . . . well, event I really want to be a part of tomorrow night."

"That club? About . . . wolves?"

"Yeah."

"You mean during the day or the night?"

"It's happening at night. It's sort of a special excursion. And well . . . because I've been on these kind of studies, I just thought . . ."

"Fine then. I personally think you'd have a better time at the party. But hey, it's up to you, girlfriend. I'm going for sure. It just looks like a great way to meet people here, that's all."

"I know, Trish. You're right!  And normally I would force myself to go with you. But this is something kind of . . . I don't know . . . personal, I guess?"

"OK, if it's about . . . a guy who's going . . ."

"Well no . . . but . . . it's kinda like that."

Trisha looked at her critically, trying to detect where she was going with her excuse.

"See, ultimately, it's all about David. And there's no one else."

"Alright. You don't have to tell me more. I respect your reasons."

"Thanx, Trish. The very next party, I promise. I'll go along with you. No matter what Robby says."

"Good!  I'll let you know what kind of people show up tomorrow night. And what happens with that creepy Troy."

"Perfect."

Trisha moved over to her desk and looked at a small digital clock.

"Oh no!  The last aerobic group meets in five minutes!  I'm outa here, Crissy."

She grabbed her exercise clothing, threw it into her bag along with her keys and a sweater and rushed toward the door.

"Look. I'm not answering my phone tonight, OK? If Robby calls the dorm here, just tell him I'm exercising and then . . . I'll be in the library until it closes tonight."

"Alright," Crissa said. "I may be there myself, till late. I'm so behind in my reading!"

"Glad you'll be out, then. Robby won't find anyone answering. He can just worry!" She smiled with satisfaction. "See ya then, babes!"

When the door shut, Crissa prepared her book bag for the library. She planned to stay until twelve o' clock, the hour it closed each night. She knew forcing herself to work on her assignments would hopefully reduce some of her preoccupation with David's unknown situation. Especially knowing the moon, by then, would be directly overhead.

Just before leaving the room at around nine o' clock, Crissa heard her own smartphone ringing in her book bag. She reached in and looked to see who might be trying to reach her. It was Brad calling from Alaska.

"Hello. Brad?"

"Yeah, Crissa. It's me. How are you?

"I'm OK."

"And Dave?"

"Good, I mean. Well, you know . . ."

"Yeah. That's why I'm calling. He told me he got a place down there. And a part time job?"

"Yeah, Brad, he did. I'm so proud of him."

"Ok. But what about . . . now? Tonight?  Where . . . How . . ."

"I set him up in a cabin. In the mountains. It's away from people. He's up there now. It's my family's summer place."

"Alone?"

"Well. Yes. He wanted it that way. He has everything he needs up there. And its only a night or two more . . . then he'll . . ."

"Let's hope he will."

"Actually, I'm going up there tomorrow night, Brad. With a wolf conservation group. I hope to check on conditions there."

"So, were you able to see him when he was  . . ."

"Yeah Brad, I did. That second day. I went up to check. He let me near him. Even touch him. There was this  . . . amazing communication. Like in Germany."

"OK. So . . . do you think he's with any . . . other wolves, Crissa?"

"I'm pretty sure that's the situation. I don't know how it's going though yet. But I hope to find that out tomorrow night."

"Yeah, he's got only, what . . . two more nights or so?"

"Yes. I believe it will end after that. Sunday night maybe."

"I really miss the guy, Crissa. And I worry about him so much during this time."

"I know, Brad. You two were very close."

"Are  very close. I really don't like that he's down there so far away. But maybe its better for now. Julie is . . . I don't even know where right now.  Or how she's handling the change  this month."

"Yeah. I worry, too."

"I told you. She ran away from Dekker and his . . . lab work.  Still, no one's seen her since she broke out. Dekker is searching everywhere."

"God. That is so creepy!"

"But he keeps a low profile, now. Basically, for what he did this summer. To us. He still might be busted for that. I think the university's still deliberating on it. He's on campus, though. Teaching classes. But I know he would love to get his hands back on Julie. Get her back into his lab. And David for sure. So I guess it's best you've got him hidden down there somewhere."

"I'll let you know what I find out tomorrow night, Brad. His motorcycle is up there in the cabin. He has a way to return when things are over. But I hope to see him again during that next night or day. When he's still . . . "

"Yeah, I know."

"Possibly Sunday morning if I can get my parents' or a friend's car."

"Well, just be careful, Crissa. We've both witnessed how quickly things can turn tragic . . . with this nightmare mutation."

"I'm careful, Brad. You just need to know . . . how much I love David. And I'm convinced he loves me too."

"Well, that's between the two of you," he said softly. "He's just really fortunate you've taken him in this way . . . and are helping him cope."

"Thanks, Brad. We'll stay in touch."

"OK. Later, then."

As Crissa closed the phone and began her solitary walk across campus, she forced herself for the first time not to look up at the sky. It was too depressing to see how the bright night still illuminated her way. It would be all she could do to keep her emotions over the next day and night under control. For her confused and uncertain feelings about David's condition were now close to consuming her.

* * *

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.8K 532 35
Two strangers fall captive to a sudden delectable aroma in the air. The scent guides their eyes to meet, igniting a spark which blazes into an infern...
535 146 26
She Wolf will not find her mate; I curse the Spring that came too quickly. I won't fall in love! A werewolf's fate is to find a mate. Varinia is terr...
7.7K 578 33
Zoey Porter's life is not a fairytale. She isn't your typical love interest or the object of desire - someone else is the main attraction. Her best f...
402K 12.4K 72
The girl with no wolf. An extra mouth to feed. A liability. A defenseless miscreation. Seraphina had heard it all. She had felt it all too. The bon...