Crissa's Mate

By Califia

Following her graduation from high school, Crissa elects to travel from Canada to the dense mountains of East... More

Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter-Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty-One
Chapter Fifty-Two
Chapter Fifty-Three
Chapter Fifty-Four
Chapter Fifty-Five
Chapter Fifty-Six
Chapter Fifty-Seven
Chapter Fifty-Eight
Chapter Fifty-Nine
Chapter Sixty
Chapter Sixty-One
Chapter Sixty-Two
Chapter Sixty-Three
Chapter Sixty-Four
Chapter Sixty-Five
Chapter Sixty-Six
Chapter Sixty-Seven
Chapter Sixty-Eight
Chapter Sixty-Nine
Chapter Seventy
Chapter Seventy-One
Chapter Seventy-Two
Chapter Seventy-Three
Chapter Seventy-Four
Chapter Seventy-Five
Chapter Seventy-Six
Chapter Seventy-Seven
Chapter Seventy-Eight
Chapter Seventy-Nine
Chapter Eighty
Epilogue

Chapter Forty-Two

2.7K 201 2
By Califia

Late that evening Crissa was uneasy in her dormitory room. It happened that Trisha was out most of the time and returned to the room at 11:30 PM, finding Crissa sitting at her desk with her computer open to a weather site. 

"Hey, girlfriend," Trisha greeted her, throwing her heavy sweater and book bag on her bed. She still had her exercise clothing on—black lycra tights and a hot-pink Danskin top. She slipped off her matching colored trainers and walked over to Crissa who was still studying the laptop screen for the seven-day weather forcast. The phases as the moon were below each day in progression, with the full moon indicated as beginning its fullest luminosity that very night.

"So . . . what sort of weather are we in for this week?" Trisha asked curiously, looking over Crissa's shoulder onto the bright blue monitor screen.

"Um . . . fair, mostly," she answered, still in deep thought and not yet turning around. "Cooling a little, though . . ."

Crissa could see that for the next four or five nights the grand orb would remain bright before finally showing a considerable retreat. She knew it would now be at its most luminist point to trigger David's mutation—and certainly by now, knew he would be under its effects.

"So how was your evening," Crissa asked, switching off her laptop and turning to face her. She was little interested in what Trish would say, but didn't want her roommate to notice how anxious she was.

"Well, I took two classes actually. A pretty intense aerobics lesson . . . great instructor, though . . . and a light weight-training course in the gym. Mostly guys, but a few crazy females like me in there."

"OK. Nice. So, you feel . . . relaxed now?" She didn't know why she even asked her that question, except to keep a dialogue going.

"Yes. Totally! But then I stayed. Had some juice and talked to these people from the States, like me. A girl from Arizona and a guy from New York. He was kinda cute but had trouble written all over him."

"Yeah? How do you mean?"

"Well . . . you know . . . when a guy looks at your face for like ten seconds, and then can't take his eyes off the rest of you the whole time?"

Crissa smiled. "Yeah, OK, I get it. So, he was one of those?"

"The poster child for them!"

Crissa knew she should have laughed at this clever description, but her mind was just not there.

"So, what was she like? The girl from Arizona?" Crissa asked, trying now to get distracted away from her own thoughts.

"She was a real sweetie. A gymnast with perfect shape. Cheryl was her name. A freshman like us. Lives over in the other dorm."

"Nice."

"Yeah, it's great to meet new people here. So, God, Crissa, have you seen the moon out there tonight?"

Crissa suddenly felt her heart jump.

"What? No. Why?"

"It is so beautiful. And bright. I don't remember the moon being so bright down in San Diego."

"Wow. Must be . . . our atmosphere or something up here," Crissa said nervously.

She then got up and walked to the window that looked out over the campus. She indeed could see the school buildings clearly, and Pacific Ocean beyond them shining all the way to the horizon. She could imagine now how the view was—back up toward the mountains where her home was in east Vancouver. And the small cabin beyond, further north, where David was now in a totally altered state of existence.

She heard Trisha behind her talking softly to her boyfriend in San Diego, and just before going into the bathroom—presumably to take a shower and prepare for bed. Crissa began to feel helpless, wondering how David would be, all alone there in the woods, hopefully sheltered in the cabin. She knew her own telephone would be useless to her now with him, and she would have to accept that the one she loved was temporarily removed from any human activity. That she would have to expect his own behavior to be what she had studied wolves to be like, but hopefully not in every way.

She went to bed that night trying desperately to relax and not think of David in his wolf state. She did not fall into a sleep until an hour or so before her alarm went off, signaling her to prepare for classes and yet another busy day.

* * *

Following only two classes that morning, an exhausted Crissa could no longer endure the stress of worrying and took the bus once more into the heart of the city. Once there, she called a good friend of hers who had elected to not attend college that year but took a gap year instead to work. She knew Diane was now doing an internship with a real estate agency, but was also certain their friendship was strong enough to permit Crissa the plan she had to check on David. After hailing a taxi at 11:00 AM, she called her friend's number on her cell phone.

"Hello . . . Diane?"

"Crissa?  Is that you?

"Yeah. It's me, listen . . ."

"Are you alright?  I heard you went to Germany . . . but you never called  me . . ."

"I know, Diane. Things got really intense since I've come back and . . ."

"You've started school over at UBC, right?"

"Yeah. As planned. But so much else is happening right now. You can't believe." 

"You sure you're OK, Criisy?  Is there something I can . . ."

"Yes, actually Diane. There is. Don't ask me why, but I need to borrow your car for a little while today."

"My car?  Well, OK. Is it something . . ."

"Yeah. Kind of serious. Are you at work, or home?"

"Well, I'm here at the office. On Dawson Avenue. I won't get home until around . . ."

"So, can I stop over by taxi and borrow the car? I won't be long with it."

"Well . . . sure, Crissa,  if it's . . ."

"An emergency? Yes. Iit kind of is. But your car can really help me, Diane."

"Will you be here in a few minutes?"

"Yes, exactly."

"Look, I'm going out in a minute or so in the company car. With a client to show some apartments. I'll leave the keys to mine under the seat, OK? It's parked around the back. The white Honda Accord."

"Yes, I remember it."

"I'm at 107 Dawson Ave. Ground floor. But I want to see you today!"

"I'll stop in with the keys. We can talk then. I promise."

"OK, Crissy. Later then!"

* * *

Driving up the mountain into the northern suburbs, Crissa passed by her parents' house, hoping her mother or father would not be in the yard to possibly see her. She drove further on into the hills and came to the dirt road that would lead her to the cabin. After twenty minutes of travel, Crissa parked the car in the cabin driveway and began to walk slowly and nervously toward the small, isolated dwelling. Before she even reached it, she saw the front door was wide open.

"David?"  she called out. "David . . . are you inside?"

There was no sound or movement. Inside or out.

She walked to the open door and stopped, not knowing what she might find if she went in. As she passed through to the entry way, she could feel her heart beating hard and fast. As he looked around the room she saw some of the food which David had brought for himself that day before. It was spread out messily onto the floor. There was also a large salad bowl which he had obviously filled with water and placed near the food for ease of drinking.

Walking quietly into the bedroom, Crissa could see the blankets David had folded and place onto the wooden floor. But they did not appear slept upon. Perhaps, she thought, he had not even slept inside, instead staying out all night in the wilds.

While standing, still facing the empty beds, and the wool blankets below themr, Crissa suddenly felt the sensation she was not alone in the room. Turning slowly, her breathing stopped immediately as she saw sitting on the floor , and framed in the doorway, a large wolf quietly staring at her. Its eyes were gray blue and its fur was thick, gray and full—a coat that covered a robust body. The perfect specimen of a male canis lupis.

She tried to stay calm, slowly beginning to breathe again, the looked into the animal's intelligent eyes,. It was obvious, by the animal lowering its head non-threateningly, that it was truly David. As she slowly and silently put out her hand, the beautiful creature moved forward imperceptibly like nature itself,. It came near her and sat down. As she bravely kept her hand out and stopped her breathing once again, the wolf was now close enough to slide its furry head affectionately under her out-held palm. Crissa stroked its head slowly and stooped down on to the floor to sit.

David, in his wolf form, moved closer still, and leaned his warm fur-covered body up against Crissa's side for her to pet his neck and ears. She was then convinced it was the man she loved—now in an incarnation she had accepted, and would love just as much.

* * *

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

219K 11.8K 62
Even the happiest fairy tales are rooted in nightmares, twisted to entertain children and lure them into false pretenses. After seventeen years in i...
87 5 33
"It is said that when a werewolf becomes of age, they shall change, those that do not, do not belong in the pack and will remain servant of the pack...
117K 7.6K 138
Every generation two lycans are born. One boy and one girl. They are more powerful than other lycans. They are always twins. This is why the are usua...
535 146 26
She Wolf will not find her mate; I curse the Spring that came too quickly. I won't fall in love! A werewolf's fate is to find a mate. Varinia is terr...