Sincerely, Millie

By Hidden-Alice

Broken. That's the word people would use to descibe me 6 years ago. after the death of my mother, everything... More

Chapter 1 - I'm Sorry
Chapter 2 - Face Your Fears... All of them
Chapter 3 - Nobody Said Facing Your Fears Was Easy
Chapter 4 - Home Is Where The Heart Is... Right?
Chapter 5 - Home Sweet Home
Chapter 6 - There's Nothing Worse Than Feeling Worthless
Chapter 7 - Strength Lies In Our Differences
Chapter 9 - You have got to be kidding me!
Chapter 10 - Well, That Flopped
Chapter 11 - Whispers and Moral Support
Chapter 12 - Drama and Horses
Chapter 13 - Tears and Family Time
Chapter 14 - Apologies and A Reunion of Sorts
Chapter 15 - Coffee with a Side of Answers

Chapter 8 - Calm Before The Storm?

22 4 0
By Hidden-Alice

The prettiest room in the house had to be the foyer but that's just my opinion. Ask Esme, she'll say the prettiest room would be the library, with its antique look and Victorian vibe; she does have a valid point and  I will admit that its a close second but there is just something about the foyer that enthrals me, maybe its the memories of dancing around with Cole or Dom when dressing up all fancy for our annual balls as kids or playing chess with my father on the table, that once stood where the two-story high Christmas tree stood, every Sunday morning. To me, the foyer holds some of my most treasured memories like when Cole came home from his first tour in Afghanistan, he walked through the thick wooden door, a vibrant smile plastered on his tanned visage, a memory that will forever be engraved into my mind. He went on two other tours until he decided he had enough and wanted to settle down. So, yeah, the foyer is the prettiest room in the house, not just because of its looks; with its: mahogany floor boards or pasty white walls or beautifully designed twin staircase made from the same mahogany wood that boarded the floors, the only difference is that the stairs are covered with a tan coloured rug that complemented the décor perfectly, but also because of the memories that lay within the beautifully structure walls that made up the foundation of our home.

Sitting in the den, watching as Alex and Belle play some sort of game they made up just moments ago, after having nice soothing shower and dressing myself in some high-waist black jeans and a simple off-the-shoulder, cream knit sweater and my favourite thick, cosy socks, I rolled up into a cosy ball on the dream-worthy sofa that sat in the exquisitely designed den.

After having Alex, I got back into shape pretty fast due to my regular morning runs and my dancing a few times a week, at that time I had a lot of free time, even with school because I had my exams over with, it was basically free reign until graduation.

Picking up my phone, I click on Pinterest and look through some 'relatable quotes', that's what the app calls them anyways, I'll admit, a few of them are funny, like this one for example 'Now I understand why Peter Pan didn't grow up', laughing to myself quietly, I continue to scroll through the quotes until the sound of shoes quietly hitting the wooden floor brings me back to reality. My younger sister saunters into the den walking straight past us with her head in a book; most likely a Shakespeare or Bronte novel. Don't get me wrong I love Bronte but at this time in the morning? I think I'll pass, thanks. Its like 10:00 am and she's already got her head lodged deep into a book; I'm all of a sudden glad that I didn't major in English lit cause I just know that would require a lot of reading and its very rare for me to be in a reading mood

"Hey, Ez, what you reading?" I ask suspiciously as she walks through the den and into the foyer, turning around a high pitched squeak comes out to her mouth, straight after she brings her hand to her mouth, eyes wide open and me? Well, I'm trying my damned hardest to contain my laughter, by now I bet my face is already bright red, "What the hell kind of noise was that?" I ask, failing to keep my laughter in. "Jeez, don't do that Millie, you scared the shit out of me" she says with her hand now over her heart "I'm reading Wuthering Heights by the way" she continues As she turns back to the foyer, I call for her "Hey, I'm sorry for last night" I say empathetically , she gives me quick side smile before assuring me that it was her who should be sorry not me.

Looking back at the two children that were once bewitched by their game, I see their tiny heads looking between Esme and me, why are kids so snoopy?

It's been about 2 hour since Cole and Seth left to have their 'Bro talk', as they like to call it, I have no clue where they went or why they are taking so long but hey, as long as Cole comes back a happy bunny, I don't really care... unless its something illegal, then I hate them for leaving me out and making me babysit... my own son and niece.

I don't know the full story of hats going on with Cole but it is taking a lot of effort to not get on a plane and drag Mia to hell by her freaking hair, I always knew she was a bit off but watching my, at the time, 21 year old brother sleep, that's just creepy and wrong on so many levels, I mean, come on, that's her brother in law for Pete's sake. Something that I do know, though, is that Cole will do anything to keep Belle happy, I would love to say 'within reason' but it really is not within any reason what so ever, he would legit do anything, I'm just scared that it'll do something that could permanently ruin his happiness. The best people really do have the worst luck.

Looking back to my son, I smile to the back of his head, he was the best possible outcome of one of the worst situations. I guess, I understand the reason behind Cole doing anything to make Belle happy, I'd die for Alex. Sitting on the floor next to my 4 year old son and his 6 year old cousin, I quickly lift him up and prop him on my lap, he doesn't protest and I know Belle would had I done it to her. That's the big difference between the two of them, Alex has a big heart whereas Belle has a big mouth. I guess I got the lucky end of the stick after all.

Smiling at Alex, I pick up a toy soldier from beside us and pretend its shooting him, probably not the best thing to teach a 4 year old but if it gets his beautiful smile to show, how can I not?

(Possible picture of Alex, do you have any idea how creepy I feel looking for these picture? XD)

"Can we play baseball with uncle Cole, mommy?" he asks me earning a disapproving look from Belle, pointing to her sternly, I say "Hey, don't look at him like that, missy" and you know what she did? she rolled her eyes. She actually rolled her freaking eyes at me. Me and Alex both look at each until I say "Well then..." continuing with "You can ask uncle Cole when he gets back, okay baby?" At that he nods enthusiastically, smiling impossibly wider than before.

Kissing him on the cheek, I prop him back on the floor so he can play again, calling my sister who was now sitting on the sofa In the living room with her feet crossed on the coffee table. "Can you took after these two for a sec? I'm going in to the garage to check something." Getting up from her comfortable position, she walks past me "Checking something my ass, you just missed your car" she says rolling her eyes, teenagers, I mutter, following her action of eye rolling.

Swiftly walking to the other side of the house, through the living room and my fathers study, I quickly find the door leading to my safe haven. Not knowing what brought on my sudden urge to come here, I walk in slowly, eyeing the two rows of cars, sure, we knew how to be charitable but that doesn't mean we couldn't have a little fun ourselves and this is where most of us spent our teen years, here and the garage Dom bought when he turned 18.

The low built roof of the garage stretched across the entire overlay of the incredible room. At the back lay an array of cupboards that held a mixture of well-used tools, paints and oils; the cupboards themselves were painted a sheen white with silver handles, like our cars, the garage was thoroughly cleaned and well kept, we all made sure of that. Thin white sheets covered each of the cars, making it hard to comprehend which was which, or at least it would had we not debated who could part where when we all eventually had a car, the glistening white and black floor was polished to the max along with the stairs that lead to the second floor which is not filed with cars, before y'all ask. Upstairs there is a small kitchen that our father helped us build when he realised just how much time we were spending in there. Not bothering to go upstairs, I walk to the front row of cars and the third one along, next to my bike, which was easy to pick out as it was the only one currently in the garage. Here and there, a few parking spots were empty which I noticed to be Maria's white BMW that my father bought her for her birthday 3 years ago, she usually kept it here due to the lack of space she had to keep it in her small house in Chicago. Another car that was missing was Coles 2013 Jeep Rubicon which is explanatory since the snow started settling last night and they wouldn't have made it very far with his low-seated Ford Mustang that sat in the back left hand corner.

Pulling at the cotton sheet that covered my favourite car, I stare at the magnificent beast that sat in front of me. I swear, if someone walked in and saw me staring the way I am, they'd want to send me to some mental asylum, not that I'd blame them, my stare is probably creepy as shit right now. God, have I missed my baby. Staring at my dark grey Aston Martin Vantage V12 S, I take in the beauty of it. With an engine displacement of 5,935 cc, a top speed of over 200mph and its electro-hydraulic control system; it's fast, safe and boy, is it fun. Sadly, I won't be able to take it out for a spin, one of the few things I hate about snow is that it seems to ruin fun while creating it.

Dragging me, involuntarily, out of my train of thought I hear yet another person clear their throat to grab my attention. Reluctantly turning around, I see a wide-eyed, creeped out Wren standing uncomfortably behind me.

"I, erm..." He stutters, rubbing the back of his neck and I give him my best are-you-serious-right-now looks, "I need your help."

-----------------------------------------------------
Uh-oh, what trouble has Wren been getting himself into? Is it even trouble?
Sorry, this is a shorter chapter than usual! I'll try and make the next one extra long and who knows, maybe it will be told from another PoV ;)
Be sure to Vote, Comment and Share :)
XOXO
           Hidden-Alice

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

56.1K 2.9K 83
"Can we stop feeling guilty, Amelia? Guilty for all the things that weren't our fault." "We can Leo. Maybe someday." "That day isn't far off Amelia...
3.5K 319 25
A love life that was going downside couldn't really be explained as a doom, could it? But an egotistic man who had a broken heart was, doom. He on...
1.6M 38.1K 71
"𝐌𝐚𝐲𝐛𝐞 𝐈 𝐰𝐚𝐬 𝐣𝐮𝐬𝐭 𝐚 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐢𝐧 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐥𝐢𝐟𝐞, 𝐛𝐮𝐭 𝐲𝐨𝐮'𝐫𝐞 𝐦𝐲 𝐰𝐡𝐨𝐥𝐞 𝐬𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐲, 𝐄𝐥𝐲𝐬𝐞. 𝐘𝐨𝐮'𝐫𝐞 𝐦𝐲...
1.9K 104 51
{COMPLETED} Amelia was adopted at age 15 by a family in the same town she grew up in, just on the other side. She's trying to move on and forget her...