Crissa's Mate

By Califia

Following her graduation from high school, Crissa elects to travel from Canada to the dense mountains of East... More

Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter-Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty-One
Chapter Fifty-Two
Chapter Fifty-Three
Chapter Fifty-Four
Chapter Fifty-Five
Chapter Fifty-Six
Chapter Fifty-Seven
Chapter Fifty-Eight
Chapter Fifty-Nine
Chapter Sixty
Chapter Sixty-One
Chapter Sixty-Two
Chapter Sixty-Three
Chapter Sixty-Four
Chapter Sixty-Five
Chapter Sixty-Six
Chapter Sixty-Seven
Chapter Sixty-Eight
Chapter Sixty-Nine
Chapter Seventy
Chapter Seventy-One
Chapter Seventy-Two
Chapter Seventy-Three
Chapter Seventy-Four
Chapter Seventy-Five
Chapter Seventy-Six
Chapter Seventy-Seven
Chapter Seventy-Eight
Chapter Seventy-Nine
Chapter Eighty
Epilogue

Chapter Thirty-Two

4.2K 248 5
By Califia

After quickly amassing Julie's clothes and articles frantically into the girls luggage Crissa met David at the door who had come up to help her.

"I'll take Julie's bags, you just carry yours," he said. "Everyone's waiting for us in the vans down stairs."

"But how did they ever get her . . . in there?" She asked. "Julie is so determined to stay."

"The professor gave her some kind of . . . sedative. A shot of some kind. She's tranquilized now. Asleep in one of the vehicles."

"Oh my God."

"Come on Julie. There's nothing we can do about this. We all must get back. Everyone together. The girl has a family in Alaska."

"Yes, but it's like she's . . . being kidnapped, David." She went over and picked up the two heavy suitcases next to her own bed.

"Like me, Crissa. Julie will just have to get through this."

The two of them left the room and struggled down the hallway with the luggage to join the others, already seated in the two white vans.

As she and David loaded the suitcases into the back of one of the vehicles, and climbed inside to take a seat, Crissa looked back toward the lodge for one more memorable image. One last look at where she had spent the hellacious past week. Standing off to the side of the structure were Lara and her village lover—the young man Crissa had reluctantly seen making love to the girl in the barn. They were standing close together, looking to be deeply affectionate, and content to be where they were. Both in time and space. They quietly watched the academic team preparing to depart to a world unknown to them. Perhaps they watched out of some respect or civility—but certainly it was out of concern for Julie, Crissa knew, whose plight they could viscerally understand.

* * *

Arriving at the posh hotel in Berlin, the professor made arrangements with the management for there to be a change in reserved room assignments, due to what he said was one of the members of his team "gone ill." He insisted that a third bed be brought to Josh and Mary's room, in order that they might monitor Julie's 'condition' during the one night stay over, and before the early flight the next morning. Crissa understood this to be but one more step in the professor's determination to ferry Julie out of the country, perhaps rightfully so, but which was still certainly against her will.

As everyone was getting situated into their new rooms, Mary approached Crissa as she was about to enter her own room, now alone for the night.

"Crissa, I know you've been through a lot on this trip. And . . . well because of your age and experience, it was just not fair to you. To see these things. But trust me . . . we all have been shocked by them."

"Look, I'm OK, Mary. It's not about my age."

"I know. But I do understand you are upset. About the way Julie is being handled. You are a lot closer to her . . . Understand her feelings about things back in the village."

Crissa was silent.

"So just know. Josh and I don't approve of professor's actions. Everything he's brought us through here. But we're cooperating to get us all home safely. Where Julie and David can get the best help."

"I do understand that Mary. It's just that . . . somethings are more about the heart. I've totally learned that on this trip."

"We all can see that, Crissa. But please . . . don't think we're being complicit. With whatever it was the professor brought us here for. We all recognize he's a disturbed person. Both in his thinking and his methods. Where it's all going or was intended . . . none of us can tell."

Crissa just nodded in agreement.

"Sleep well here," Mary finally said. "Dr. Dekker has informed us he will sedate Julie once more in the morning . . . while she sleeps. To get her quietly through the long flight home."

"Oh God, again?"

"It's best, Crissa. To get her through customs and the airport without incident. Anything that might delay us here could become . . .super problematic for David and Julie. Do you understand?"

Crissa thought about the ugly possibilities for the two of them, were they somehow delayed there in Germany into the next phase of the full moon.

"Yeah, I do," she sadly said.

"Just know we can't afford this possibility, Crissa. And accept the professor's terrible actions for now. It really is the best . . . for Julie and David . . . And the rest of us."

Crissa put her hand on Mary's shoulder. "Thanks," she said. "Your concern about everyone here on this trip has been so good. And it's helped me a lot."

Mary nodded back to her. She then turned and went down the long hallway toward her own room—now to be shared with Josh and the still comatose Julie.

* * *

Crissa spent the early evening unpacking just a few toiletries into the large room and got immediately busy sending her parents a long-overdue text message. For some inexplicable reason, she did not want to speak with them yet, as she knew it would only invoke a cascade of emotions. She  understood this might leave her at risk of telling her mother or father too much. Things she did not want them to know, or possibly ever know. She simply texted that all was "exciting"  and "fine."That there had been no Internet due to the remoteness of the area. And that she would be home in Vancouver after some fourteen or fifteen hours after take off in the morning, according to the flight plan.

Surprisingly, the professor had ordered room service dinners for everyone within the hour. Ostensibly to keep them all in their rooms for the night. Nevertheless, just as Crissa had finished her meal in front of the large screen TV, trying to understand the German news, a knock on her door and David's voice told her she had a visitor. As she opened it she saw him standing alone outside. He was obviously cleaned-up with his damp hair combed back. He was also dressed in a fresh pair of jeans and wore a white, buttoned-collar dress shirt she had not seen him in before. There was a slight lemon freshness to his already attractive sent.

"Just wanted to see if you're fine . . . being here all alone in this huge place," he said. His warm smile once again disarmed Crissa and she smiled back, inviting him in.

"Yeah, well I get the feeling the professor doesn't want us anywhere else. Milling around in Berlin tonight. Did you get that?"

"Totally," David said. "But we're not prisoners to our rooms. Have you checked out what this place has?"

"Not at all. I was just trying to see what's happened in the world . . . while we were totally away from it."

"Forget that, Crissa. You know it's all bad news anyway."

"Yeah. The pictures have been showing that." The scene of a recent terrorist attack somewhere in the world were flashing brightly on the screen. She picked up the controller and turned off the television.

"They have a billiards room here." David said. "That's where Brad has gone. He needs it to massively chill out before tomorrow."

"Yeah he really does. I thought he was going to fight with the professor at least twice."

"He still might at some point. He's just a good friend. And so are you Crissa," he said softly

"Only a friend?

"Well hopefully more." "He smiled and looked off to the side. "Come on. Let's go explore this place. There's things I haven't even seen yet. All in this one hotel."

"I don't know, David. I haven't even had a shower yet. Washed off the ugly forest dirt." She looked into his eyes, suddenly sorry for the insensitive comment.

"Well look. Can you be ready for a trek through this place in about . . . fifteen minutes? There's no way I'm going to stay in my room this early. Nor are you!"

Crissa could see he was truly in need of her company. And also wanted a much-needed diversion for what was going through about returning.

"OK. So can you make that twenty? I've never in my life been ready in fifteen minutes."

"I can believe that," he said mockingly.

"Be back in a bit."

With that, David left the room, leaving Crissa to nervously decide what a girl would wear with limited resources—and for the exploration of an exclusive hotel.

After twenty-five minutes, while Crissa was dressed and ready, just blow-drying her hair, she could barely hear the knock on her door. It was a sound she had been anxious about but also excitedly wanted to hear.

Wearing the best she could do—a short black skirt, flat shoes and a flax-colored light sweater, she opened the door and could see David's eyes were impressed with her efforts. He then looked back down the hallway to see that no one was there. Satisfied they would be unseen leaving her room, he took her hand in his.

"Got your key?" He asked. We've got some serious reconnaissance to do here."

"Let me get my bag," she whispered excitedly.

The two went down the hallway to the elevator which delivered them to the main floor lobby, well-lit in pastel colors and with enormous flower arrangements in gold-colored planters on tables. From there they passed by the elegantly dressed concierge seated at her desk, and then approached another wing of the premises which featured some of the hotel's amenities. As they walked down the spacious hallway, various signs directed their passage to a street exit and designated shopping mall. In the other direction was featured the hotel gift shop, a restaurant, bowling alley, billiards den, spa and gym.

"Let's hope we don't run into Brad down here," David said.

"Why?" she asked. "I thought you two were the best friends."

"I don't know. It's a guy thing. Some see their friend's attraction to a girl as a dangerous move. They become super critical. Kind of protective. I just don't need that right now."

Crissa moved closer to him as they walked, allowing him to put his arm around her. "I understand, David. But everyone that I can see, loves you. Brad does too."

"Does that mean . . . you love me?" He asked unexpectedly.

"I suppose I do. Do you see me with anyone else in this crazy pleasure dome tonight?"

David laughed and held her closer to him, making Crissa press her head momentarily against his chest in a confirmation of affection.

As they approached the gift shop Crissa stopped. You know . . . if I don't bring something back about this trip . . . my parents will begin to wonder what happened to me here. Gifts are kind of family tradition with us."

"That's really beautiful," he said. "So, let's go inside."

As the two entered the shop, Crissa immediately began to see a number of things she thought to purchase. David left her alone to do so and walked about the shop himself. She eventually decided on a German beer mug for her father and a beautiful hand-woven winter scarf for her mother.

As they went to pay for the items, David offered to help her with the cost, which she of course refused. And as they reentered the well-lit hallway on the way to the gym and spa, he stopped her and took out a small box with a ribbon on it. It was apparently something he had himself bought while briefly apart from her.

"What's this, David?" she asked.

"Just something to remind you of . . . the trip and I guess now . . . me," he said modestly.

Crissa put her bags down at her feet and stood facing him as she opened the small box. There, incased in dark blue cotton—the color of the night sky, was a sterling silver chain and pendant. The small object attached delicately to the chain was immediately recognizable. It was a beautifully rendered wolf, polished and solid, and appearing to be in full gate running free.

"Oh my gosh! David. It's beautiful! But where did you . . ."

"They had a small jewelry section in there. You must not have seen it.

"It's so perfect . . ."

"I truly hope you see it . . . and me that way, Crissa."

He was looking into her eyes once again with that boyish longing for approval, belying both the strong young man—and guardedly, the wolf he had now become.

* * *

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

22.3K 1.4K 24
***COMPLETE*** THIS IS THE FIRST BOOK I EVER WROTE SO ITS RUBISH I SUGGEST READING MY MORE RECENT BOOKS THEN READ THIS ONE TO SEE HOW I HAVE IMPROVED...
1.8M 88.8K 31
[Completed] Every Wolf Moon, humans are selected from each village to be sacrificed to the werewolves; creatures worshipped by humans as godlike figu...
1.7K 93 17
This is a world where power and dominance stand above anything and everything else. This is a world where you don't want to run around in the dark. ...
516 146 26
She Wolf will not find her mate; I curse the Spring that came too quickly. I won't fall in love! A werewolf's fate is to find a mate. Varinia is terr...