Princess Thief [✔]

By xxsoteria

A princess in name, in body, and in blood but when her mask is on, she becomes the thief who's the enemy of a... More

Writers's Note
Gallery
Prologue
01. At Present Time
02. Magic of Disguise
03. Fedor Manor
04. Little Damsel
05. An Invitation Sent to Ace
06. Willow
07. The Gem and the Stone
08. Twilight Party
09. Reichen
11. The Brazen Knight
12. Haunted Past
13. A Visit from Carrion
14. The Royal Family of Ezriel
15. A Price To Pay
16. The Oubliette
17. White Bandits
18. The Encounter at Mt. Grisly
19. Never Ending Confusion
20. The Amica
21. Verdari, The Magic of Barrier
22. The Siblings
23. The Selection
24. Enchantment
25. The Princess and The Knights
26. Welcome to Deliora
27. Reid
28. The King and His Brides
29. Silverious
30. The Crusaders
31. Carline
32. Hypocrisy
33. A Liar
34. The Mark of Deliora
35. Renounce
36. The Goddess, The Fallen God, and The True God
37. Lost Treasures
38. Reichen's Earring
39. His Identity
40. Resonance
41. Sun Month
42. The Goddess Temple
43. Linosas Kingdom of the Far East
44. Arvory Manor
45. Willow's Party
46. A Reaper
47. The Real Monster
48. The Last Treasure
49. Xenon
50. The Magic of Ace
51. The Dead Prince
52. Selfishness
53. Choices
54. The Fallen God's Curse
55. The Goddess' Blessings
Epilogue
Ending Note
Side Story: Cannaria
Side Story: Night
Side Story: Erodessa

10. The Second Day

3.9K 204 103
By xxsoteria

Trigger Warning: This chapter may contain scenes including abuse, or emotional distress. If you are uncomfortable with the following, please skip this chapter.

The light footsteps resounded in the dimmed corridors lit by the soft light of chandeliers. Cindra and I were on our way to one of the private parlors for the guests. Stillness surrounded us the whole way since there was really nothing to talk about that wouldn't arouse anyone's curiosity.

The circuit must be taking some time to fix. It was a tiny bomb but it could create sufficient damage to give me some time to hide the pearl but everything went out of hand the moment I realized there were several people who had violet eyes.

Nevertheless, I proceeded with the plan and fortunately succeeded to snatch the Golden Pearl away.

We reached the parlor with haste and Cindra quickly locked it. It was the farthest room so there was nobody around us.

"That was really dangerous, Carline," said Cindra and faced me with her hand on her hips.

It was strange to hear my given name coming from her. Maybe because we were outside that was why she was calling me like that.

"You did not even awaken. I saw him holding the chest before the commotion. You practically stole it in front of his eyes. What if he grasped it was you? Furthermore, you even encountered one of the people I despise," she listed all my mistakes and I let her words pass through my ears.

It was always better to speak when everything was calm.

"Still, I got it," I said after I thought she was done talking.

"Heavens! If your identity is ascertained, everything will be over," she continued, her other arm massaging her temples.

That made me quiet. I remembered the scene earlier. If Crown Prince Lander arrived earlier I would have failed. Worse, exposed.

"But, Cindra, why were there many people who had violet eyes? Even my friend had the same eyes as mine now. What does it mean?"

That had been bugging me since earlier. I completely forgot to even ask Willow since I was so engrossed talking to her.

"I knew you would ask this the moment you attend this party but I promised Night that he would be the one to answer all your questions. It's better not to be too curious about it, dear," said Cindra, and sighed wearily.

I wanted to nod but this situation made me more interested. This may have been the key to why I was suffering in Father's hand. The reason why he was so fascinated with my eyes.

"I'm sincerely asking you this, Carline. This is all for your own good. Do not get involved with others like us in the meantime."

This time I conceded, seeing how serious she was.

"And about the pearl. Where have you hidden it? It's better to return it now," she suggested.

"Actually..."

I rummaged through my top and took the pearl. Because of the layers of cloth, it was not that noticeable since my chest was stuffed earlier to make the dress more fitting, considering Willow was well-endowed and I was what they called flat as a board.

I gave it to her and fixed my dress.

"I will send this to them, while you go back to your room, okay?" said Cindra.

She stepped in front of the door and said her incantation, "My name is Cindra, awaken."

There was a spontaneous change in the atmosphere but it was brief. She twisted her head back and bid goodbye.

"I will see you tomorrow, Carline."

***

I was wandering back along the hallway. Most visitors should have been back to their chambers by this time. I reached mine and saw Xenon standing right in front of my door.

"Princess."

He bowed. I did not know how long he waited. I hadn't seen him since we arrived. Xenon was not able to enter the hall since only the knights of Deliora were stationed inside.

"What is it? It was not like you to stay all night at my door, Xenon," I said, the corner of my lips rose.

Teasing Xenon was really one of my bad habits. I regularly enjoyed it unscrupulously every time he tried to retain a reserved expression like now.

He cleared his throat before replying, "His majesty requests your presence."

That froze my smile. Damn it.

I was so caught up with being a princess and being a thief that first and foremost I was that man's toy.

I clutched my gown. "Then, lead me to him."

Xenon walked ahead of me and I had my head down as I convinced myself in a soundless whisper. You will be fine, Carline. He will not do anything. We are not in Ezriel. He will not dare expose his nature.

Father prided himself as the best deceiver on how he could play everyone in the palm of his hand. He had an image he built for years. I was certain he would not risk it for a momentary lapse of anger. 

After all, our kingdom had an ink-stained reputation that people feared and only he was blotched free. His title, Gallant Sovereign, was evidence of how loved he was as a ruler and being praised as the only sane king after being reigned by countless mad royals in the past.

Ezriel was able to flourish more in his hands indeed, but he was the sickest among all. 

No enemies that had seen his true face lived to tell the tale. They didn't die with just simple death, it was brutal and heinous. Faces that could not be set apart anymore, scattering limbs that you won't even know whose was it and could never be pieced together once more.

Color drained from my face as my body unconsciously shuddered. I should have not reminded myself of those memories I witnessed with my own eyes.

We arrived at the door and I swallowed a deep breath. Once opened, a hard slap welcomed me. He must be so enraged that he even hit me in front of Xenon and it was even a place that could not be covered.

Father yanked my hair, hauling me towards his room, and slammed the door. A kick pushed me to my back and I fell to the cold tiled floor. My hands quivered as my breath hitched from the suffocating presence of Father and his fiery temper. I should have known a demented person like him would never be bothered to risk it all.

"Good evening to you, too, Father," I muttered a response as I stood up.

"You, monster. I told you to be good!"

His yell echoed across the room before another slap landed on my cheek. He roughly held my face and forced me to look at him.

"You expected you could escape from me just because we are here?" His eyes were swirling with emotion and his lips lifted in a natural manner that looked angelic but it was definitely not.

It was the face of my fear.

"Don't ever think of leaving using these people with you. You will never be able to. You are your mother's murderer. Your life could never compensate for hers," he spat as his nails dug deep enough to hurt but not to scar my cheeks.

Mother's blood-stained face delved into my mind after his crazed words.

"Make sure you don't get close to anyone or else... You know what will happen, right?"

I was compelled to nod and he abruptly let go of my face and pushed me back.

"This damn curse!"

My body was rooted in place. At that moment, I just realized this was the first time he touched me after all this nightmare began.

But it was not over yet, his leathered boots landed on my stomach this time. He grabbed a handful of my hair, pulling out the roots from my scalp with his terrifying force as he dragged me outside. With swift strides, he opened the door, and Xenon was standing there. Another kick and I stumbled on Xenon's feet.

He lowered himself to help me but I already stood up. It would have been better if he did not show compassion in front of this demon. I walked to his side as I dulled the soreness from all the blows I took.

"Send her to her room, slave," he ordered Xenon and banged the door.

Xenon's gaze penetrated me but I merely looked down, making my way back to my room with him following behind me. As my personal knight, Xenon was aware of what happened inside. He was a bystander but I could not blame him. 

He was Father's closest aide but I trusted him. He was never a telltale. He helped me even if it was just small things. Moreso after Yves grew distant from me. He was my only companion in the palace and I did not want to lose him. In this kind of situation, there was no need for words between us.

The silence shrouded our way until we reached my chamber and we parted without saying anything.

***

HARPA DAY OF THOR

The mirror reflected my usual face. There was no swollen cheek or anything. Although, it would be a different matter if it was an open wound since it took longer and may leave a mark.

It was the second day of the Twilight Party. From what I gathered, this day was mostly composed of leisure events. There would be a hunting competition and other sports for men while the ladies would enjoy the luncheon party hosted by the Queen and other recreation.

The freckled maidservant was braiding my hair while the other prepared my dress. A lady, precisely, a princess, had several servants, and few knights given to them. I did have them. The only problem was they were not permanent except Xenon. They were changed every month, never the same, and fewer in numbers than the common nobles and royals.

The two maidservants tailed me after we finished preparing. They were in charge of me but they were not even there yesterday. I did not really mind as long as they didn't step out of line. I could not allow myself to be bullied by mere servants of their own will.

Xenon was already outside and he accompanied me. We were heading downstairs when I saw Cindra who was also going down with her servants.

"Duchess Pheles," I greeted and curtsied. "Good day, your grace."

"My goodness, dear! Are you going downstairs with that outfit?"

I looked back at my outfit. This was one of Erodessa's 'gifts'. As much as I didn't want to be embarrassed since I looked way different from last night, I needed to attend the luncheon held by the Princess of Deliora at least.

"You are not even wearing a bonnet." She observed.

"I did not bring one."

"Were you not informed we were having the luncheon party at the Greenhouse?"

She must have read my expression and then sighed.

"Come with me," said Cindra and we went back to her room.

We entered but the servants were left outside.

"Ezriel is a rich kingdom yet they could not even afford to buy you dresses?" asked Cindra and took in her appearance.

I shrugged. "You know why."

"But I never had seen anything so hideous. Your regular dresses were much better," she commented and lifted those large bows in blatant distaste.

"My gowns met an incident and we were not able to purchase them as we were leaving," I explained.

Cindra massaged her forehead, thinking. "Wait for me here. My name is Cindra, awaken."

She disappeared through the door while I sat on one of the armchairs. Only Cindra could pass through her portals unless it was for a specific purpose, just like the passage under my bed. It was a useless door if not for the key imbued by Cindra's magic. The key could be used to any door and it would lead to the basement.

The reason I never used it carelessly was that if anyone came through that exact same door I inserted the key, they could access it if I was inside. Unlike Cindra, where even if I used the door right now, I would still be outside the chamber and not where she was.

After several minutes, Cindra arrived with a bulk of dresses that even covered her face.

"Awakening, dispel."

Her dispel was not that flashy since it was more about objects rather than herself that were affected by magic.

"These are from my niece. I could not prepare anything aside from this but she hadn't had a chance to wear this yet. It's all yours," said Cindra as she laid it on the bed.

There were several dresses with matching accessories and even I could tell they were expensive.

"I'm way too grateful but... This is too much, Cindra," I mumbled in awe.

I had been receiving so many things from them already. I did not even know how I could repay them with all the materialistic gifts I was given.

"Don't worry, dear. I should have done this the moment we met," said Cindra and called the maidservants outside.

She picked the pink one and ordered my maidservants to take the rest to my room while her maidservants helped me dress up.

The straight skirt dress was made of heavy velvet with fitted sleeves fully adorned with lace. It was paired with a white floral bonnet and tied to my head with a pink ribbon. I did not change my hair and other accessories since they matched fairly well with the dress.

"You really should dress up often. It is such a pity. You would be the belle of the ball no matter where you go."

I just smiled. There was no use in thinking things that were not meant to happen.

***

We proceeded to the garden where the Greenhouse was. There were already countless ladies inside. There was a very long table at the center decorated with various colorful flowers. There were even ones that were solely unique in this kingdom.

"Duchess Pheles. You have such a lovely guest on your side," said the Princess of Deliora who was the hostess since the Queen had already passed away.

At present, she was the woman with the highest authority in Deliora as the Crown Prince's paternal aunt. I curtsied together with Cindra.

"This is my beloved friend's youngest daughter, Your Highness. Her name is Princess Carline Ezriel. Princess Carline, this is Princess Alana Deliora," said Cindra.

I bowed down again. "It is an honor to be your acquaintance, your highness."

"I should say the same. I finally had the pleasure to meet the Jewel of the Ezriel."

Cindra and her continued into small talks and I excused myself. I found Willow with her mother and I approached them.

"Good morning, your Highnesses," I said and went into a curtsy again.

"Carline!" Willow squealed. "Goodness. I was so surprised to learn that you were already cured! I knew it! But how come you didn't even tell me?"

"Willow. Your manners." The Queen of Relandey immediately reprimanded her for how inappropriate her manners were.

"Sorry, mother."

The Queen crooked her head to me and smiled. Her olive skin and bright smile were surely inherited by Willow.

"My! You sure have grown, dear. I had seen you last night but I was too preoccupied. It was a pity I had no chance to greet you. I am glad you are doing well," said the Queen of Relandey.

"I understand, Your Majesty. I am thankful for Princess Willow accompanying me the whole night."

"It is I who should be thankful. You are such a good influence on my daughter. I heard about the occurrence last night. Thankfully, it was resolved." She must be pertaining to my dress in the way she was looking at me.

"It was all thanks to her grace, Duchess Pheles."

Willow suddenly clutched my skirt. "Mother, can I talk to Carline for a while?"

"Of course, child."

Willow pulled me into a less crowded area.

"Where have you been last night?" questioned Willow.

"I met with Duchess Pheles."

"I didn't know you knew her," she said, her brows scrunching up.

I had the same skeptical look as her when I first met the duchess. I had never once seen her when Mother was alive but I believed her when she told me about how Mother was an adopted child of the late Duke of Rotteria. Only a number of people knew that truth.

"She was actually my godmother and she told me stories about mother," I replied.

"Well, you missed a lot! You should have stayed last night. It was so exciting! Ace left several letters all over the palace with riddles about the Golden Pearl. In the end, it was actually hidden in the box that it was kept!"

She was talking animatedly while I sighed inward. Cindra really loved these kinds of games.

Their conversation was cut short when the hostess told them to gather around. It was an informal party so they were allowed to sit anywhere except those beside the Princess of Deliora.

Only the people she had chosen could sit there. Nonetheless, the powerful families were seated near her. Willow was seated beside her mother who was a close friend of the Princess of Deliora while she and Cindra were not that far from them.

Almost five seats across me were Erodessa and Lian. They were seated at the middle part which was not that actually bad since it was still suitable for a princess of the Great Five but Erodessa was glaring at me like it was my fault.

Ah. She should follow Lian and just enjoy her time.

***

The luncheon was a surprise. It was full of pleasantries and the ladies all acted accordingly so there were no disturbances. It was different from last night when they blatantly gossiped. The conversations today were more moderate but there was still sharpness in some women's words.

The ladies dispersed in different directions while I decided to roam around. It was optional to join the ensuing recreational activities anyway. Cindra was engrossed conversing with the Princess of Deliora and went ahead without me. Willow was with her mother and I didn't know where my sisters were. It would be better if we did not encounter each other the whole day.

When I went out, Xenon and the maidservants were waiting for me. The freckled one was holding a parasol and they simply hounded after me. We arrived in a place with tall hedges. It was probably a maze. It was my first time seeing one and wanted to try it. I was never lost in a labyrinth during missions before so the maze would be pretty simple.

"I'll go and explore for a while. You can wait for me here," I announced, with a slight smile escaping my lips.

"But, your highness." Xenon was already scowling.

"Don't worry if I do not get back an hour or two, I know you can find me."

I did not wait for his approval since I didn't need it by any means as I was still his princess. Aside from that, Xenon was quite a pushover sometimes so he let me in the end.

Upon entering, the hedges towered over me. It looked much larger in a small space. I continued finding my way and it was not that long before I reached the exit.

It led to another part of the garden which seemed more like an orchard with all the trees surrounding it.

"Damn!"

The resounding curse made me flinch on my feet.

I followed where the voice came from and saw a guy awkwardly hugging a tree. He was wearing a Deliora's knight uniform, similar to the one I stole which was untainted white with golden details however the neatness and purity that their uniform exuded was nowhere to be seen with how crumpled his clothes were, and the patches of dirt that were visible on his pants.

The guy angrily kicked the tree and then raised his arms at the tree but remained in position.

What the heck was he doing?

He raised his leg and remained still again. It went for a few seconds then he raised another one but he just naturally slid to the ground. I could not stifle my laugh anymore.

"Who is that?!"

The man faced me and even from afar, I noticed how light his brown eyes were, almost a mix of orange and yellow. His blonde curls were in a mess as he tried to stand up. I came nearer and he was actually taller than I expected since he had such a youthful appearance.

"What are you doing?" I asked after I approached him.

"I am exercising, Princess Carline."

An obvious lie. I tried to pinpoint if he was someone I met when his shadow loomed over me. He was evading my personal space and I retreated right away but he was still inching closer.

"Your eyes are really like jewels!" He was smiling broadly, his almond-shaped eyes became crescents with mirth and his face was so near.

What the hell? I quickly pushed him back. It was just a slight nudge but he still fell to the ground. Just then, he landed on a sharp bark of wood that clearly scraped his hand.

Why are knights so clumsy these days? The only decent one she met was Xenon.

Despite my complaint, I still reached out to him and took his hand. It was a scratch but it was bleeding heavily. I took the handkerchief in my pocket and tied it carefully to his wound. I stood up but he pulled me back.

"Woah! What was that?" He took back his hand and was looking at me baffled.

"What?"

"It felt like my body was hit by lightning."

So he felt it, too.

It was actually Willow who first told me that touching me was like being electrified. The longer they held, the more painful it was. The bizarre thing was, if I was the one holding her, it would not hurt. I thought it was just her since no one ever told me they felt anything like it aside from her.

I stood up again and picked up the bark. It was better to throw it or another accident may happen. I went ahead to throw it when I apprehended something. It was the same voice that had been confusing me these days!

But when I wheeled around, he was nowhere to be seen.

***

Note: Hello cutiefries. Here's a little dedication for my fellow filipino, javajade, who tried to read my story ><

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

73.4K 7.1K 48
The beautiful island kingdoms of the Detache Ocean have been flourishing for eight hundred and seventy years. Ari and Aveline, two lawless pirates, h...
501 26 13
A young spoiled Princess seems to find everything funny. She loved and lived for practical jokes, especially when she was behind them. On her fifte...
3.9K 1.3K 65
We don't know what can happen to us in the next minute. We might smile, laugh, cry, hurt, or even die. But what you don't expect is to be transported...
1.7K 230 60
She is fierce. She is the future queen. She is a whole definition of power. The powers she has are amazing but she keeps them hidden. She doesn't tru...