The Catalyst (GirlXGirl)

By LBrooks23

~COMPLETED~ In a world that is overruled with corruption and a new incurable disease sweeping through several... More

Chp. 1 "New Best Friend"
Chp. 2 "One Year Later"
Chp. 3 "Attraction"
Chp. 4 "A New Face"
Chp. 5 "Undeniable Feelings"
Chp. 6 "Change of Plans"
Chp. 7 "Close Call"
Chp. 8 "Realization"
Chp. 9 "Here's the Plan"
Chp. 10 "Good Guys and Bad Guys"
Chp. 11 "Finishing Up"
Chp. 12 "Oops"
Chp. 13 "Revelation"
Chp. 14 "Who Am I?"
Chp. 15 "What's Next?"
Chp. 16 "The Call"
Chp. 17 "Recruiting"
Chp. 18 "Last Day"
Chp. 19 "Rehearsal"
Chp. 20 "A Familiar Face"
Chp. 21 "And We're Off!"
Chp. 22 "A Friendly Chat"
Chp. 23 "Arrived"
Chp. 24 "Meet the Masons"
Chp. 25 "Eye Opener"
Chp. 26 "Close Call"
Chp. 27 "Home Sweet Home"
Chp. 28 "New Ability"
Chp. 29 "A Serious Talk"
Chp. 30 "Untimely Introductions"
Chp. 31 "Proper Introductions"
Chp. 32 "Preparation"
Chp. 33 "Convincing Lies"
Chp. 34 "Bad News"
Chp. 35 "Secret Skills"
Chp. 36 "Goodbyes"
Chp. 37 "Phase 1"
Chp. 38 "Finally Alone"
Chp. 39 "Deep Thought"
Chp. 40 "Doctor Henson"
Chp. 41 "Down Time"
Chp. 42 "Pursuing Phase 3"
Chp. 43 "Surprise"
Chp. 44 "Welcome to the Bureau"
Chp. 45 "The Lab"
Chp. 46 "The Truth Sucks"
Chp. 47 "Deep Conversations"
Chp. 48 "It's a Date"
Chp. 49 "Desperate Times, Desperate Measures"
Chp. 50 "Two-Sided Story"
Chp. 51 "Hard Work"
Chp. 52 "Great News"
Chp. 53 "Shocking Information"
Chp. 54 "Saving Avery"
Chp. 55 "Confessions"
Chp. 56 "Shocking Secrets"
Chp. 58 "Old Wounds"
Chp. 59 "Training"
Chp. 60 "A Much Needed Talk"
Chp. 61 "Awkwad Introductions"
Chp. 62 "Business Meeting"
Chp. 63 "Late Night Talk"
Chp. 64 "Round Two"
Chp. 65 "Friendly Advice"
Chp. 66 "Forgive Me"
Chp. 67 "Morning After"
Chp. 68 "The Final Meeting"
Chp. 69 "The Plan's in Motion"
Chp. 70 "Mishap"
Chp. 71 "Plan B"
Chp. 72 "Escape"
Chp. 73 "The Final Chase"
Chp. 74 "Aftermath"
Chp. 75 "A Step Forward"
Chp. 76 "Welcome Home"
Chp. 77 "A New Beginning"

Chp. 57 "Unexpected Call"

8.1K 380 37
By LBrooks23

Chp. 57 “Unexpected Call”

I felt as if my head was going to explode and my blood was on fire, and I couldn’t hear or think anything. I was completely deaf, and from what I had just heard come out of Avery’s mouth made me wish I was. I didn’t even know what to say, but right now I was frozen in time. Frozen because I had no idea what to do or say to her.

I felt the rage building in my stomach, and my blood rushing from my heart through my body. The anger was becoming unbearable, and I realized I had never been this angry before. It was actually starting to scare me because Avery’s face was pure white with fear.

I breathed slowly, trying to cam myself, but I just couldn’t. I stood then, looking down at Avery who seemed now to be the last person I wanted to associate with. I felt my anger drawing in the electricity from my room, and the lights began to flicker around me as I held out my left arm, pointing to the door.

“Get out.”

Avery’s eyes flickered around the room as she stood, too afraid to move any further, “Andy, please let me explain-”

I responded bluntly, “Get. Out.”

The lights were flickering more now, and the more Avery stood here the more I wanted to fry her with every watt of electricity inside my body. It was actually scaring me because I soon realized that I couldn’t control it much longer.

I stormed out of the room, leaving Avery alone as I bolted through the hall and found the emergency stairs. I ran straight to the top of the building, right to the roof where I had taken Avery that morning before she became sick off her ass.

How could she lie to me about something like that?

The afternoon sun beat down on my back as I paced around the roof, not being able to calm myself down. I was crying, not from pain but from anger, and I couldn’t stop. I wanted to scream, to yell at the top of my lungs and to slam my fist through this roof. I wanted to run away and forget this place. Go out on my own and forget about everything I had here for me. I had found a cure to the disease, there was nothing left for me to do here.

Andy, stop. Think about everything you have for you here. Just because Avery fucked up doesn’t mean you can leave everything behind. What about your dad? What about the government? If you don’t stop them, no one will, and the bullshit will continue. You need to stay and fight, and forget about everything Avery lied to you about, because you have bigger things to worry about.

But she lied to me.

Your parent’s lied to you, they lied for 18 years. You didn’t hold it over their heads.

This is different. My dad wasn’t working for the people who were murdering innocent people.

Think about the people that will die if you leave, think about the people who will die if you are caught by the government. Think about Teal and Fred, and how he was murdered for doing the right thing. Think about that.

I closed my eyes, fighting with myself internally and becoming exhausted from all the rage I had been trying to control. I sat on the ledge of the Bureau, looking over the vast area that extended in every direction from the Bureau. What was I going to do? And how was I going to deal with this situation?

Avery had kept something vital from me, and now I didn’t even know if I could trust her anymore.

I knew I should’ve stayed to let her explain but I just couldn’t, I would’ve ended up hurting her, or worse killing her. If she was a Snitch for the F.P.S., was it possible that she was the one that set up the spy that was outside Teal’s house the day we went to Louisiana? And was she the one that helped that guy locate me that night we had went to meet Roger to help him kill me?

Did she lie to me just to do a job?

I remembered how I she hadn’t told me about her brother Chris, and how I had felt so betrayed by her. Was he involved with the government too? I mean he was an American Soldier, he had to be involved.

She had played me from day one, because when she found out who I really was she ratted me out to her dad. She was the one that helped the Feds locate me, and she was the traitor.

The feeling I had was unexplainable, and I was literally hurting on the inside. I wanted to die now, because I was in love with this girl, and I was now convinced she only did what she did to make her father happy.

She was just doing her job.

The more I tried to be furious at her, the more difficult I found it because even though I was sure she was the one behind everything, I couldn’t help but give her the benefit of the doubt. I hadn’t given her the chance to explain herself, but right now I really didn’t want to. I just wanted to be alone and think about everything I had to decide.

I held my head in my hands, trying to understand why Avery would do something like this to me. Why would she lie to me? Why would she hide something so important like that from me?

Did she even love me?

I knew I should’ve been concerned about the bigger picture, but I wasn’t as concerned about her ratting me and my powers out to the government. I was actually more worried about if our relationship was a complete lie. I knew it was because I loved the girl, but did she love me the same?  Was everything she told me a lie? Or was it true? Or was she lying the entire time just to gain my trust?

I gripped my dog-tag that hung around my neck since the day my mom gave it to me. I squeezed, hoping for some of the pain to go away, but none did. I hung my head in shame, wondering how I could’ve been so stupid to think I could trust Avery. Someone I had barely known when I let her into my personal life.

At least I had known Max was like me and not a traitor.

I wanted to cry, I really did, just so I could find a sense of release, but I knew I couldn’t. I didn’t want to cry, and I didn’t want to be weak. I needed to learn to be strong and deal with situations like this. I needed to stand up and fight, and that’s exactly what I was going to do. I didn’t want to see Avery right now. I wanted to keep my distance because I was afraid if I saw her I would hurt her.

And I didn’t want to hurt her, even though she had hurt me really bad.

 I had honestly never felt so betrayed in my life, not even whenever I found out I was adopted, and that had been a hard blow.

My heart was broken, and I wasn’t sure if it was ever going to heal from something like this. I just couldn’t get over the fact that Avery had lied to me about being a Snitch for the F.P.S. And was it her father who created the disease? Or was he the one that wanted to create the Super Soldiers instead? I didn’t know which one was worse.

It made complete sense though, how she had been so defensive when I had told her the F.P.S. had created the BD3. She didn’t want to believe her dad was associated with that kind of evil, and she probably was mortified.

Little did I know how much I would be too.

I raked my hand through my hair as I tried to calm myself, praying that something good would happen soon because I needed to get my mind off of this.

Then suddenly, my phone rang in my pocket.

I pulled it out, half expecting it to be Avery, but to my surprise it was a blocked number. I ignored it and set my phone back down in my lap, I really hated when those numbers called me. Like I was going to answer if I don’t know who you are.

Then it rang again, and this time I was curious, because now I wanted to answer it.

I held up my phone, and then slid the phone open and pressing it to my ear. I answered, “Hello?”

“Andrea Mason?”

It was a man’s voice, and it was deep and raspy, as if he was sort of whispering? I answered, “Who’s this?”

There was a pause, and I wondered if whoever had called had chickened out. I waited, and then there was a response, “Agent Nick Walker. Is this Andrea Mason?”

I recognized that name, and I nearly screamed into the receiving line, “What the fuck are you doing calling me.”

He paused for a while, and then responded again, still in a hush tone, “I deserved that. Andrea, there’s something bad that’s going to happen, and you need to listen to me ok?”

I grinded my teeth in frustration, “Why the fuck should I listen to anything you have to say, asshole? If you don’t recall, you tried to kill me not to long ago.”

I was furious, and as I waited for him to speak again it took me everything I had not to hang up and block his number. How could he have the audacity to call me up like I’m a friend? Act as if his partner didn’t shoot and kill my dad all those years ago, and how he had attempted the same thing with me.

“Andrea, listen to me ok? Bad things are going to come your way if you don’t. We need to meet in person, we need to discuss plans. We need to do this quickly and quietly, or all of our lives are at risk.”

“What the fuck are you talking about?”

“Andrea, please just cooperate with me ok? The government is going to come after you, and a lot of people you love are going to die. I know you don’t want that, and I don’t want that. I don’t want innocent people to die, but I need you to cooperate with me ok?”

This time I allowed the sincerity in his voice to touch me, and I knew he was telling the truth. He sounded genuinely afraid, and for some reason this made me listen. “Isn’t it dangerous for you to be calling me like this?”

He sighed on the other end, “It is, but don’t worry about that. Andrea, we need to set up a meeting.”

I didn’t quite trust this man, but I trusted him enough to weight the options. I spoke, “If I can bring people with me, and if you come alone.”

He stayed silent for a bit, and I hoped he was deciding and would just easily agree. I didn’t want to have to fight him, and I especially didn’t want to have to kill him if this plan really did happen. He responded, “I can do that, but Andrea we have to do it quick, there’s absolutely no time to waste.”

I raked my hand through my hair, wondering if this conversation was really happening. I mean, I was speaking with an Agent from the F.P.S who wanted to meet with me, not to mention he fucking tried to kill me weeks ago.

But I could do nothing but trust him, because this was the only lead I had, “Monday, morning or night?”

“12:00 o’ clock, midnight.”

I rolled my eyes, “Why so late?”

“So I know no one is following me, I’ll text you the address, bring whoever you trust. Don’t forget.” Then he hung up, and I received a text message instantly as I read it, wondering what the fuck just happened.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

The Ally By ESaraithewriter

Mystery / Thriller

137 7 17
It doesn't take much to set me off. I'm a ticking time bomb. I'm a black widow spider feeding on anyone and anything weaker than me. And I have power...
772 62 15
Andrea Stark is your normal teenage high schooler. She gets good grades and is always nice to people she meets. One thing sets her off and makes her...
22.3K 765 56
Lauren Brooks, an average student at Ocean High School, possesses a personality that attracts others to befriend her. However, Dani Hills, the class'...
1.9K 69 15
Andy Warthorn is a bright light. And like a moth drawn to a flame, Jia Greene - closeted lesbian - follows her, hoping one day she'll get close enoug...