Rugged To The Core

Av crankychris

"You're alive for a reason. Everything you've passed through will shape you into the ultimate masterpiece bec... Mer

Introduction
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Project Fight Rape
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Recap
Chapter 99

Chapter 28

1.5K 266 48
Av crankychris

Special thanks to DesieLeleyii for this cover. ♥😘

Song For Chapter: Smile For Me - Simi

Lucky 

     Desire, I think that was what I saw in his eyes, I wasn't quite sure, the emotion was too strong to decipher; I couldn't even think properly, I felt so self-conscious under his fiery gaze, I couldn't understand how a simple look could make me so lightheaded.

     Abel was leaning in so slowly, I wondered whether his neck wasn't hurting him, I convinced myself he was going to whisper in my ear and he wasn't about to kiss me, my lips were probably chapped and that's why he kept staring at them, right?

It couldn't be, that look though, maybe he does want kiss me... He wants to, right?

     Remembering that Bola and Nero had read our little letter and might very well be stalking us, I mustered up some courage and took a gigantic step – as gigantic as my short leg could manage – to the right, I walked further into the room and away from Abel. I couldn't let those boys see us, Bola was sort of spiteful and was obviously planning on screwing me over, and Ebimo, just for associating with Abel, I knew I was on his shït list. The avengers could strike at any moment, they always had tricks up their sleeves, If something got to the principal, no doubt my father would be informed.

"Aside from the dirty sheets, this place doesn't look like it's been deserted." I initiated, trying to kill the awkwardness but it was useless, the tension in the room could be cut with a butter knife.

     Abel had his back to me, he was right were I left him, his head was still drooping, it was almost as if he couldn't believe I was no longer in close proximity.

Awkward...

This one strong sha...

Abel sighed and finally turned around. "Yeah, I clean it once in a while."

"Hmmm." I didn't know what to say, I took this moment to fully drink him in. He wasn't wearing his sweater or the blazer, his plaid shirt was tucked but the sleeves were rolled up to his elbows, his sweater was tied around his waist, typical bad boy fashion. "So, this is your spot."

Awkwardness, go away na...

"Yeah." Abel sauntered towards me, he walked behind me and started yanking the dirty sheets off. "Students started hanging here during lessons, they refused to attend classes, Bola being the ring leader of that. Anyways, Ma decided to have It locked."

Lady Maria Grace...

     I sneezed and involuntarily stomped my foot when dust filled my nostrils, Abel muttered a quick 'sorry' and continued until everything was unveiled.

Wow...

     Table tennis, table football, video games, desktops that looked like they hadn't been used in years. This room was the bomb, there were bean bag chairs, picnic tables and a shelf where tabletop games like: chess, draughts, scrabble, monopoly, ludo, solitaire, etcetera, sat.

"This place is amazing..." I said in a small voice, running my hand over the table football. We never had a rec room at Saint James.

Stopping before the table tennis, I picked up the tennis plate and flailed it with style. "I'm a ping pong champion, you know..."

And who gave you championship?

"Champion?" Abel seemed amused.

"Undisputed." I clicked my tongue and I propped my elbows against the table, trying to look cool.

"Well then," Abel picked up the racket, he walked away and towards the shelf, he grabbed a tennis ball from a carton, he turned and sauntered towards me, stopping at the other side of the table, opposite me. "Let's play."

"What — now?" I spluttered, surprised he challenged me.

What if he was better than me? And I was making mouth...

"Undisputed champ, right?" He asked tauntingly.

I collected my composure and put on a bold grin. "Serve."

     Just as I suspected, Abel was good at table tennis, he was so fast, I had to run in order to catch the ball, he on the other hand hadn't moved from where he stood, either my arms were too short or I wasn't as great as I thought I was — It was one thing to play with Bukky, then another to play with a gorilla.

     Since it was test, our break time was much longer; It was an hour and a half. Whilst Abel and I played, we released little exclamations, I was frustrated, he was kind of trying to get himself pumped up. He laughed when I positioned myself at odd angles and even fell once — but luckily landed on a bean bag chair behind me. But in the end, he came up short, and I was the victor.

"Mhmmm, undisputed babe." He mocked whilst caressing his right hand.

     Amidst the game, I had noticed Abel's discomfort, his right had was hurting, It would momentarily go limp on Its own accord as he tried his best to shrug it off, his grimace didn't go unnoticed by me.

"Does it hurt?" I softly asked, making my way round the table and to him. "Let me see."

I tried to take his hand but he gently swatted mine away. "It's fine."

Doesn't admit pain, how typical...

I rolled my eyes at his attitude. "I know It's fine but let me..." And slowly I held his right hand, carefully examining his wrist. I remember It was the same hand he had broken when he shut a door against It, I got goosebumps just thinking of that day.

     Abel's hand felt wrong, It was like something was out of place. Thus, the limpness.

Madam, since when did you become a physician?

     Perhaps I could massage it back into place.

Ehen, masseuse...

"You don't mind me rubbing it, do you?" I meekly asked.

Abel's eyes widened and he tried to pull his hand away but I refused to let go. "My uncle does that for me." He assured me. "I'll just wait till I get home."

Till I get Home... Does he live with his uncle?

"You might not be able to write with it. We have a paper in -" I paused to stare at my thin leather wristwatch. "... fifty minutes."

"You're overreacting." Abel countered. "It's not broken. The Doctor did say I'd be experiencing discomfort especially if I stressed it."

And you have been using it to rearrange people's face...

"and you've been stressing it." I grimaced, and he muttered under his breath.

     Abel finally caved. Fully satisfied, I lead him to the bean chairs, we both sat down. I let his hand go, I felt him watching me as I took off my bag and swung it around, placing it on my lap. I unzipped a small compartment and pulled out the small bottle of loco bam, I lifted my head and found Abel sneering at me.

I laughed. "What?"

"Do you carry that bomb around or did you foresee that you would be needing it...?" He drew his hand away, childishly holding it behind his back.

"I carry it with me." I replied, Abel gave me a weird look.

Along with blisters and bruises, I'm always wearing them.

     Abel didn't reply me, frozen, he watched me with squinted eyes. I reached out and wrapped my hand around his strong forearm, he slightly jerked — snapping out of his reverie but he let me continue. Slowly, I applied the balm on his skin and began rubbing on his wrist. I couldn't help but observe the scars on his wrist, as I rubbed his wrist, I felt them and that was when he stopped me, finally yanking his hand away.

I lifted my gaze to find him searching for an escape, constantly darting his eyes. "Abel..." I called softly.

"You're not doing it right..." He muttered under his breath. "Break will soon be over -"

I stopped him from getting up. "Stop." I snuck a glance at my watch. "Please, let's talk."

     At first Abel gave me a blank stare, his full thick eyelashes fluttered as he scanned my features, his jaw tightened but then he hit me with a smolder, his face softened as his brows furrowed.

Nothing else matters...

~*~*~*~

"You're not hungry?" Abel asked.

     Digging into my bag, I brought out a small white paper bag which contained two doughnuts. I also brought out a small plastic bottle of coca-cola. I had brought these things in school earlier, after Abel asked me to meet him here.

What can I say? I was prepared.

"Wow... look at you." Abel teased as I took a bite.

"Would you like some?" I offered him but he politely declined, he stuck his hand in his pocket and brought out a sucker.

     Whilst eating, I watched him unwrap the sucker before putting it in his mouth.

Abel and a lollipop? What weird sight!

And cute...

     As I ate, Abel and I made small talk, he told me about how he would come here everyday and how he did his best to keep it clean by sweeping occasionally, apparently he had even swept and dusted today because he was expecting a guest — of course I responded with a chuckle, the thought of him cleaning was slightly amusing.

"What are your hobbies?"

"I told you, nothing in particular..."

"Hmmm." I mused. "What do you enjoy doing then?"

"nothing in particular..."

"nothing?"

"Well, there's something practical but I'm not sure you'd wanna hear it." He smirked and wiggled his brows suggestively.

Something practical?

Oh! Oh! Perv!

I simply hissed and shook my head, he laughed. "Well, I love working out." He shrugged, tugging his sucker. "I always carry my dumbbell, morning and night. I occasionally run too — It's soothing."

"Cool..." I awkwardly smiled, not being able to take my eyes away from his mouth.

"And you? D'you exercise?"

"Who — me?" I finally tore my eyes away from his mouth and the sucker. "No oh. I don't have time for that one. I can't and won't, far too lazy."

"I believe every girl exercises." He remarked.

"How d'you mean?"

"Chores."

"Chores?" I furrowed my brows.

"Anything that makes you work up a sweat." He explained and I got it.

"Hey, that's kinda true." I raised my index finger for emphasis. "Well, only those really tasking chores but true nonetheless."

"And you? What do you do for fun?" He enquired.

"Well, I love singing — though I'm terrible at it. I love reading, cooking and dancing - "

"That much is obvious." Abel said, smiling. "You're pretty good at it."

"I'm an 'okay dancer'." I shrugged.

"Is that what you wanna do when you're older? Dancing?" Abel asked.

"Um, no." I replied, frowning. "Well, It wouldn't be bad but my most realistic goal is writing, I always wanted to become a writer. My sister has always been the creative one, I on the other hand never get inspired enough to start something plus I'm really impatient."

"Inspired? You know," Abel shifted in his position. "... most writers don't use their imagination."

I remained silent, and he continued.

"A good majority of stories are altered versions of the author's personal experience." Abel replied, I was amazed at the words he was spewing. "If you're having trouble with your imaginations, just distort your reality."

This is someone everyone called unintelligent...

"Sure writing is about fiction but It could be your experiences too. It could be your reality." Abel spoke softly.

"No one would read my reality even if It were distorted." I muttered more to myself than to him, I looked down, interlacing my fingers.

"Is that what you think?" He chuckled. "Just challenge yourself, babe."

I sighed, pondering over it. I then decided to turn the tables. "What about you? What is it you would like to become?"

Abel was silent for a while, his sucker was lodged at the side of his mouth. "A sprinter."

Oh wow!

I gave him a look, not that I didn't believe he couldn't do it but, like it sounded so unrealistic. "I'm six-four, two hundred and twenty pounds, and I've got quite a wicked record as a sprinter, you don't think I can do it?"

A record? What does he mean by that?

"It's a big dream." I uttered. "I'm just surprised, that's all."

"Why?" Abel snapped, now looking annoyed. "I know I'm dumb but I'm not dumb enough to fall on my face whilst running. You know what, It doesn't matter, someday, I'll represent this country." He started rising up.

"Hey, hey, hey..." I reached out and took his hands, pulling him down. "Why do you always get so defensive with me? I'm not judging you, I never said you couldn't. If anything, I do think you can do it, all you need is perseverance..." He broke eye contact, I playfully punched his shoulder. "... and from what I know, you're pretty hardheaded."

Abel laughed at that and began, rubbing his wrist, I decided to tease him. "I was even thinking you'd say something like boxing, kick-boxing, or even pro wrestling but a sprinter? That's pretty badass too."

He laughed, for a while we maintained eye contact, our smiles faded away but it wasn't replaced by a frown. I looked down and noticed his wrist. "I hope I didn't worsen the pain." I pointed as he began unfolding his sleeves, covering his scars.

I had finished eating now, but Abel still had the lollipop in his mouth, lodged against his jaw.

"Yeah, you weren't really helping."

"What?"

"It hurt but not because you were actually doing something."

"Ahan but how nau?"

Abel chuckled. "your hands are so tiny, they barely locked around my wrist."

I gave him a toothy grin. "So why didn't you stop me?"

"I thought it was cute that you were trying to help." He flashed me a small smile. "and... I knew you would object if I told you to stop. So, I just let you have your way."

I reached out and playfully punched his shoulder, we were still sitting on the bean chairs.

"My uncle will take care of it when I get home." He stated as he twirled the stick of the lollipop, moving it around his mouth.

Wow...

"Abel?"

"Hmm?"

"Don't you live with your mum anymore?"

He looked away for a second, then fixated his gaze back on me. "No, I'm staying with my uncle and his family."

For some reason Abel felt the need to explain, I didn't complain though, I listened. "We're renovating, so she asked that I move in with my uncle." He sounded so unconvincing.

I didn't ask about It though. "Tell me about your uncle." He playfully distorted his face and gave me a look. "Heh... tell me how it is living with him."

Abel threw his head back. "Ahh... well, life with Uncle Mark is somewhat suffocating but at the same time; It is nice." He continued. "He's always up in my face, preaching nonstop. He's like: That's wrong, you shouldn't do this, every action has Its consequence, If you ever wanna get married, you should smile often - "

Smile often hmmm, I would love that

I laughed out loud. "He says that?"

"Yeah." He chuckled. "He's so mushy, It's quite annoying. But..." He looked into a distance, like he was recalling something. "He has his ways, I don't think I would want him to be any other way. I secretly like everything he does for me, I'm just too hardheaded that I can't listen to him."

He smiled and I did too. "But his wife, she's a virago, she's kinda like that evil step mother in naija movies, the ones our dear Mama G loves playing."

I snickered and he grinned. "Big troublemaker." He shook his head. "Then there's my cousin, Victor."

Cousin?

"I always thought he was your brother."

"Nah, I'm an only child." He replied. "That brat is always sassing me, forming bros for me but I love him anyways."

Awwe...

"What's your traditional name and what does it mean?"

"Ugochukwu." He looked so proud. "God's eagle."

"Temilola..." It was my turn. "Mine is fortune..."

Ding Ding Ding!

     That was a warning bell, break was over and the next paper would be starting in five minutes, Abel and I had to separate, I became deflated. I really loved listening to him talk about himself, I wanted to learn more about him but I know I had to leave; our story would continue tomorrow.

~*~*~*~

     Friday, last day of the test, we were done with all our papers. Naomi and I were strolling around the premises, gossiping. It was scorching outdoors, we had both discarded our blazers, even still, the sweat persisted.

"are you gonna tell me where you were yesterday during break?" Naomi nudged my shoulder as we walked.

Oh oh...

"I was..." I cleared my throat. "... with Abel."

"I knew it!" Naomi halted in her steps, dramatically stomping her foot on the ground and clicking her fingers. "something told me so! I just knew it!"

"Hmmm, na so..."

"So, you have started chopping big fish abi?" She teased.

"Big fish ni....? Abeg put me down oh, I no wear pant." I countered.

"Is a lie... You wear!" She retorted, making me laugh. "Babes, seriously what's going on between you and that boy? Who is liking who? Kiss nko?"

"Nothing." I quickly replied, looking smug, I was going to tell her everything but I just wanted her to beg me small for details.

Hehe!

"See her head, so you want me to beg you abi...?" Naomi attacked me, I burst into laughter. "You will grow white bearbear (beards)." (you'd grow old waiting)

"Babe, chill..." Still laughing, I continued. "I will tell you joor..."

"No, don't talk..."

"Abel and I are friends, we are sort of getting to know each other." She waited for me to say more but I didn't.

Silence.

"Wait, that's it?" Her grin faded away. "The controversial, the bad boy, the softest, finest, hottest, fűck lord, Abel Ejiofor is..." She made air quotes. "... sort of getting to know you? Is that code for something else or...?"

"Puh-lease, get your mind outta the gutter." I replied. "Our friendship is simply platonic and it will stay that way."

"Does he know that?"

"Yes..."

"Did you actually tell him?"

"What — no!"

"You see..." She clapped her hands on my shoulder. "Honey, I am going to ask you a question and be honest because your answer will determine what advice I'd give you."

"Okay..." I uttered, slightly confused.

"Do... You... Like... Abel?" My heart skipped a beat, the scenes of the prior days when Abel had been close to kissing me flashed before my eyes and a jolt of electricity ran through my body.

_______________________________________

[EDITED]

Thanks for reading...

Fortsätt läs

Du kommer också att gilla

10.5K 1.6K 52
We are not the broken clichés you want us to be anymore. We have transcended beyond the "Good Girl ~ Bad Boy" boxes they tried to put us in. We are s...
25.6K 1.2K 72
"All I want is you. You and no one else, and I'll keep you to myself. There's no time to take it slow. Laine, please, let me get to know you." A typi...
166 1 10
Aurora Valentine, an 18 year old girl with epilepsy goes to school just to meet the worlds end. Her and her friends have a wild ride trying to surviv...
3.8K 264 35
𝙒𝙝𝙖𝙩 𝙬𝙤𝙪𝙡𝙙 𝙮𝙤𝙪 𝙙𝙤 𝙞𝙛 𝙮𝙤𝙪 𝙛𝙚𝙡𝙡 𝙞𝙣𝙩𝙤 𝙖 𝙘𝙤𝙢𝙖 𝙖𝙣𝙙 𝙬𝙤𝙠𝙚 𝙪𝙥 𝙛𝙚𝙚𝙡𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝙗𝙚𝙩𝙧𝙖𝙮𝙚𝙙 𝙗𝙮 𝙚𝙫𝙚𝙧𝙮𝙤𝙣𝙚...