No Payne, No Gain

By Urb4nEden

“Promise you’ll never forget me?” I begged, my vision blurry with tears. “I promise.” Kate Robinson and Liam... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10 - Part 1
Chapter 10 - Part 2
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Epilogue

Chapter 18

54.2K 370 64
By Urb4nEden

Chapter 18

The next day, Mr. Hudson was away and we had a supply. She was a ginger, middle-aged woman who found it vey hard to be heard over the chatter of the class. Since Mr. Hudson was away we had to do cover work, instead of practicing for the End Of Term Performance at the end of the year. Ellie was ill with the flu, so I was on my own. I sat down, sighing, at my usual seat at the back of the class, slumping in my chair. I plugged my headphones in my ears and turned on my iPod, scrolling through the songs until I reached More Than This. I selected it and closed my eyes, dropping my iPod in my lap.

Someone plopped down in the seat next to me. “Hey!”

I turned to find Liam grinning at me. I smiled and paused the song, “Hi Li.”

He smiled wider. “So, what are you doing?”

I held up my iPod, and he nodded. In awkward silence settled over us, so I turned back to the music, pressing play and letting the calming tunes wash over me. I sunk down in my chair, closing my eyes, getting lost in the music. I thought I heard my name being called once or twice but I chose to ignore it, it was probably my mind playing tricks on me. I felt completely at edge, though. The thought of Liam sitting in kissing distance was overwhelming.

Suddenly, I heard Liam’s voice shout my name. This time I couldn’t ignore it and my eyes snapped open, realizing the room was almost empty and Matt was stood before me, his hands resting on the desk. I looked up at his handsome face, disappointedly. It wasn’t Liam. “The lesson is over.” He stated. I nodded, and scrambled up, grabbing my bag and yanking the headphones from my ears. Matt turned and walked out the doors, probably following his friends. As I turned a neatly folded piece of paper floated to the ground. I bent down and picked it up.

Kate, It stood scrawled on the front, in Liam’s hurried writing. I unfolded it, my long hair falling in front of my eyes, as my eyes skimmed over the note.

Meet me by the gate; at 6pm. It’s a surprise.

Li xx

I smiled down out the tiny note, pulling my hair behind my ear quickly. I suddenly I remembered where I was and looked up. I was alone. Oops. I hurried to the door, slinging my handbag over my shoulder. I walked out the building, smiling to myself, and headed to Ellie’s dorm.

--------------

“Hi Kate.” Ellie said, when she opened the door in her pajamas. She really did look awful, her nose red and I slick of sweat on her forehead.

“Hey.” I said, leaning in and hugging her. She was boiling. I pulled her after me into her room. “God, El, you’re burning up! Have you taken any medicine?”

She looked at me sheepishly.

“El.” I moaned. “You have the flu, you have to take something!”

“I’m fine.” She assured me. Then, she shivered and crawled into bed.

Then a thought hit me. “Why don’t you have a room-mate?” I asked, curiously, looking over at the abandoned bed opposite Ellie’s.

“Oh, I had one, Julia, but she left during the year and I never got a new one.”

“Maybe I could move here?!” I said, excitedly.

“Yeah, maybe. They would probably not allow it.”

I nodded, and then I thought of something else. “What about Barbie? Didn’t she have one?”

“She did, her name was Kelsey, I think. She was American.”

“What happened to her?”

“You know Beatrice. She’s a bitch, and Kelsey was beautiful and nice. I don’t think Kelsey could take it anymore, so she told everyone some lame excuse and left.”

“God, that’s serious.”

She nodded. “The sad thing is Kelsey and Bea used to be really close, and then Kelsey started to go out with Matt.” She shivered at his name, and then continued. “She had all the boys after her, understandably. “Bea got jealous and turned everyone against her, which broke Kels. Then, she completely crossed the line and got Matt, which utterly crushed.”

“Whoa.” I breathed, letting out the breath that I hadn’t realized I had been holding.

“Yup, Beatrice is extreme. She completely brakes anyone in her way.” I shivered. Was she going to try to break me too?

El sensed my uncomfort, and swiftly changed the subject. “So how was your day, then?”

“Good.” I told her about the uneventful lesson, and then handed her the note. She sent me a confused look, and I nodded towards it. She unfolded and read it quickly. Then, she launched herself at me, squealing.

“We need to choose the outfit!”

“El, you are ill. You need to rest.” I said, pushing her gently, back into her lying position.

“But I don’t want to.” She moaned. “I’m fine. Promise.” She sneezed suddenly, saying otherwise.

I got up, smiling down at her. “Don’t worry, I’ll find something.”

“Fine.” She huffed, crossing her arms, acting like she was about five.

“Get better, El. Don’t worry about me.”

“I won’t.”

I laughed, at her immaturity and turned towards the door.

“Bye, Ellie.” I said, as I closed the door behind me.

“Make sure it’s cute!” She yelled, before I had closed the door completely.

I laughed. I would make sure my outfit was perfect.

---------------

After trying on endless outfits, I found the perfect outfit. It was a small strapless, floral playsuit and a pair of wedges. I curled the ends of my hair and clipped my long fringe back with a flower clip. I looked quickly at my watch. 5.54pm, I had six minutes. Shit. I looked hurriedly, at my reflection in the mirror and turned, heading towards the door.

“Where are you going?”

I spun around. Barbie was sprawled on her bed, reading some gossip magazine. I smirked. “I’m going out.” With your boyfriend, bitch. I added mentally.

“Who with?” She asked in her annoying nasal voice.

“None of your business.”

“Oh yeah, you have no friends.” She said, snottily.

“Shut up, Beatrice.” I said, carelessly.

Her mouth dropped open, with a little popping noise. I had never really stood up to Barbie before. I turned, and stepped out the door, smiling to myself. However, before the door could close completely, I heard Beatrice whisper, “This is war, bitch. I will ruin you.” And the confident smile dropped from my face.

She was going to ruin me just like she had with Kelsey.

-------------------

As I reached the gate I was not only terrified of Barbie, and what she was planning to do to me, but I was also freezing. I had forgotten a jacket.

I saw I figure standing by the gate. Liam. It was getting darker, so it was hard to see him clearly. It didn’t matter though. I had a perfect image of him etched into my mind.

As I neared, he smiled and waved. “Hey.” He quickly pulled me into a hug. I reached my arms around his back and breathed in his familiar smell.

“Hi.” I answered, into his chest.

He pulled back. “Shall we go?”

“Yeah, where are we going?” I asked, hoping he would tell me. Under normal circumstances I hated surprises, but I was with Liam so everything was different.

He grinned his perfect smile at me. “It’s a surprise. I can’t tell you.” I smiled back. That wasn’t fair; he couldn’t just smile at me like that and make me forget why I was there. He didn’t know that that smile made me go weak at the knees. That boy had a weird effect on me.

We started walking, leaving the campus behind, and I shivered. God, why did I have to be so stupid and forget a coat? It was freezing.

“Are you cold?” Liam asked, as if reading my mind.

I nodded, and he stopped, pulling off his hoodie, his hand brushing my arm leaving a trial of goose bumps behind. He then handed it to me, helping me put it on. It was so cliché, but still so perfect. I slipped my arms through the sleeves and let him zip it up for me. I smiled up at him to see him with a pained expression. “Thanks, Li.” He started to lean in and my heart rate increased by a hundred.

He was going to kiss me.

I closed my eyes and waited for his lips to meet mine. They never did. “Kate, come on.” Liam said, quietly, his sweet breath prickling my face. I opened my eyes, to see Liam walking away. I felt my face heat up, grateful that it was getting so dark that he couldn’t see the blush creeping to my cheeks. He couldn’t have been able to anyway, since he had his back to me. I hurried after him, stumbling on my heels.

We walked in silence; now awkward from the kiss we had almost shared. We were now in the town that Ellie and me had been shopping in only days ago. I looked down at his hand, wanting to clasp them in mine so badly. They were stuffed down in the pockets of his jeans. I slipped my hands into the pockets of his hoodie too, after pulling the hood over my head and breathing in his sweet aroma.

He stopped, suddenly, making me crash into his back. I stepped around him and stood beside him, looking at the building before us. It was a tiny café, lit brightly from the inside. It was beautiful, with rose wines climbing up the wall. Liam was now standing by the door, holding it open, beckoning me to follow him. I stepped forward, smiling at him as I stepped through the door.

It was much bigger from the inside it. Like the Tardis, I thought, smiling to myself. A few couples were dotted around the room, sitting by small, candle lit tables. Some young, like us, some old. I followed Liam to they back of the room, where he pulled out a chair for me. He was such a gentleman. “Thank you.” I said, quietly, as I say down. He nodded and pushed my chair in. I unzipped the hoodie, but left it on. It smelled so good.

“Like it?” Liam asked, the candle light, lighting up his face.

I nodded. “It’s beautiful.”

“You look really beautiful tonight, Kate.” He said, surprising me with a compliment.

I smiled, blushing beetroot. “Thanks, Li.”

He opened his mouth as if to say something, but was interrupted by a waitress, about the same age as us.

“Would you guys like anything?” She asked Liam.

Great. A slutty waitress, a perfect way to spoil our night. The worst thing was she was stunning, even in the tiny waitressing outfit. I glared at her jealously. Of course, Liam would be all over her now.

Before he could answer she interrupted him again. “Here with another girl, Mr. Payne?” she said, flirtily, turning to send me a dirty look.

Wow, she was a top bitch. Her and Barbie should be friends, I thought grimly.

Liam blushed. And then it hit me. ‘Another girl’? Of course; he had taken Bea here. I was stupid to think that I was special. He was going out with her, for goodness sake.

She smirked at Liam. “I wonder what Bea would say?” Beatrice?! So they were friends then.

“Um, I would like a coke, please.” Liam said, quickly, trying to avoid her last comment. “What do you want, Kate?” He said, turning to me.

“Uh, the same please.”

She nodded, leaning dangerously low to pick up the drinks menus, swapping them for meal ones, probably trying to show Liam her boobs. I looked away disgustedly, until I heard the sound of her heels clicking fade away.

“Sorry about that.” Liam said, apologetically.

I nodded, trying to smile, unsuccessfully. I picked up my menu skimming through it, my mood gone. I didn’t feel hungry either. I ended up picking a chicken salad, not wanting to seem fat in front of Liam. After we had ordered, Liam stretched his had across the table, taking my hand.

“I’m sorry it has to be this way. I’m going to try to fix it.” He said, sincerely.

I didn’t have a clue about what he was talking about. “What?”

He groaned, running a hand through his hair. “With Bea, and well, basically just Bea…”

“Oh.” What do you even say to that?

He half-smiled at me, looking slightly unsure.

I patted his hand, reassuringly. “What are you going to do then, Li?”

“I don’t have a clue.” He ran his hand through his hair again. “What can I do, Kate?”

“You don’t have to do anything.” I said, even though I wished he would just dump Barbie already and give me a chance.

He sighed. “I’ve fucked everything up.”

“No you haven’t, Li.”

“I have I lost the one thing I need, Kate. You are-“ WHAT? What was I? The waitress, who placed our plates down, interrupted him. She then leaned herself on the table smiling, more like smirking, at Liam. That girl had no shame. Or self-respect.

“Thank you.” Liam said, politely, and turned to face me.

She stomped off after a few seconds, when she realized he was purposefully ignoring her. I stared down at my uninviting salad, then at Liam’s steak. God, it looked and smelled delicious. Liam noticed my gaze and smirked. “Want some?”

I shook my head, and grabbed my fork, stabbing at my salad and popping some in my mouth. The chicken was cooked perfectly, but my eyes were still drawn to Liam’s delicious meal. Still, I didn’t want him to see me as some fat pig. I stuffed some more in my mouth, still slightly annoyed at myself for choosing something so light.

“Open up.” I looked up to see Liam holding up a fork with a small piece of steak on the end. I shook my head, feeling myself giving in. I gave up when he pushed the fork towards my lips, poking them slightly; I opened my mouth and pulled it off. God, it was delicious. I groaned in pleasure and Liam chuckled.

I blushed. “Thanks, Li.”

“Anytime.” He grinned his beautiful smile at me.

We chatted a bit, and finished off our meals, then ordered dessert. I ordered a ice cream sunday, and Liam asked for an apple crumble, with a fork. I didn’t think more about it. It was normal to eat apple crumble with a fork right. Then I remembered; Liam had a phobia of spoons! I quickly asked for a fork too, just to be sure Liam wouldn’t get freaked out. I turned to Liam, to see him smiling at me. Gah, he was breathtaking. “You didn’t have to do that.”

I smiled. “I know.”

A comfortable silence settled over us, as we stared at each other. I wished I knew what he was thinking about. He was so beautiful.

I snapped back to reality as Liam blushed. “Uh, thanks...”

What? Then realization hit. I had said it out loud. Now he knew that I thought he was beautiful and probably thought I was so weirdo.

God, this was going so badly. We sat in silence as Liam paid, and left with one left flirty wink from the slutty waitress. As we left I heard a click and saw a flash of light out of the corner of my eye. I turned my head quickly, but there was nothing there. I turned back to Liam, who had an unreadable expression on his face. He grabbed my hand, suddenly. “Let’s go.”

We hurried home, not talking much. As we reached my dorm, Liam pulled me into a hug and kissed my head. It sent tingles along my body and I shivered slightly. “Thanks for tonight, Li.” I said, quietly, looking at my toes.

“No problem. Sleep tight.” He said, and left.

I turned and unlocked the door to my dorm, tingles left behind.

I was head over heel for Liam, and there was nothing I could do about it.

~~~~~~

Hey People!

This is the loooooooooooooooooongest chapter i have ever done, so please tell me what you think :)

Firstly, I HAVE ENTERED THE 1DWATTYAWARDS, SO I WILL BE GIVING UPDATES BUT WHEN THE TIME COMES PLEASE VOTE FOR NO PAYNE, NO GAIN. IT WOULD MEAN SO MUCH! It's not like i'll win, but still it's fun to participate :)

Secondly, Kate's date outfit is in the EXTERNAL LINK >> So please check it out ;) I haven't done outfits for ages so yeah..

Uhm, i can't really remember anything else, so yeah. THANK YOU FOR ALL THE SUPPORT> YOU GUYS HAVE BEEN AMAZAYN, BRILLIAM, FABULOUIS, PHENOMENIALL AND EXTRODIAHARRY :)

Sorry for any typos, i never proof read ;)

Lotsa love,

Eden xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

PS: IF YOU HAVE INSTAGRAM PLEASE FOLLOW ME: LIVELOVELOUIS :) AND ON TWITTER AND TUMBLR, BUT I'VE ALREADY SAID THAT.

LOVE YOU GUYS, KEEP BEING AMAZAYN! 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

579K 8.2K 35
Liam and Zoey have been friends since they were little toddlers. Zoey has a pretty rough life, and then Liam goes off to the X-Factor, causing her to...
796 4 16
Grace Lynch and Liam Payne were lovers from the very beginning. They did everything together, and loved each other with all of their hearts. After a...
31.3K 501 23
Liam and Emerson are best friends and have been ever since they were toddlers. But the same day Liam tells Emerson that he is going to audition for t...
2.6K 83 25
Kate is a high school student and works on top of that. She meets a group of unusual boys and falls in love with one of them, Just like her friends d...