The Catalyst (GirlXGirl)

By LBrooks23

~COMPLETED~ In a world that is overruled with corruption and a new incurable disease sweeping through several... More

Chp. 1 "New Best Friend"
Chp. 2 "One Year Later"
Chp. 3 "Attraction"
Chp. 4 "A New Face"
Chp. 5 "Undeniable Feelings"
Chp. 6 "Change of Plans"
Chp. 7 "Close Call"
Chp. 8 "Realization"
Chp. 9 "Here's the Plan"
Chp. 10 "Good Guys and Bad Guys"
Chp. 11 "Finishing Up"
Chp. 12 "Oops"
Chp. 13 "Revelation"
Chp. 14 "Who Am I?"
Chp. 15 "What's Next?"
Chp. 16 "The Call"
Chp. 17 "Recruiting"
Chp. 18 "Last Day"
Chp. 19 "Rehearsal"
Chp. 20 "A Familiar Face"
Chp. 21 "And We're Off!"
Chp. 22 "A Friendly Chat"
Chp. 23 "Arrived"
Chp. 24 "Meet the Masons"
Chp. 25 "Eye Opener"
Chp. 26 "Close Call"
Chp. 27 "Home Sweet Home"
Chp. 28 "New Ability"
Chp. 29 "A Serious Talk"
Chp. 30 "Untimely Introductions"
Chp. 31 "Proper Introductions"
Chp. 32 "Preparation"
Chp. 33 "Convincing Lies"
Chp. 34 "Bad News"
Chp. 35 "Secret Skills"
Chp. 36 "Goodbyes"
Chp. 37 "Phase 1"
Chp. 38 "Finally Alone"
Chp. 39 "Deep Thought"
Chp. 40 "Doctor Henson"
Chp. 41 "Down Time"
Chp. 43 "Surprise"
Chp. 44 "Welcome to the Bureau"
Chp. 45 "The Lab"
Chp. 46 "The Truth Sucks"
Chp. 47 "Deep Conversations"
Chp. 48 "It's a Date"
Chp. 49 "Desperate Times, Desperate Measures"
Chp. 50 "Two-Sided Story"
Chp. 51 "Hard Work"
Chp. 52 "Great News"
Chp. 53 "Shocking Information"
Chp. 54 "Saving Avery"
Chp. 55 "Confessions"
Chp. 56 "Shocking Secrets"
Chp. 57 "Unexpected Call"
Chp. 58 "Old Wounds"
Chp. 59 "Training"
Chp. 60 "A Much Needed Talk"
Chp. 61 "Awkwad Introductions"
Chp. 62 "Business Meeting"
Chp. 63 "Late Night Talk"
Chp. 64 "Round Two"
Chp. 65 "Friendly Advice"
Chp. 66 "Forgive Me"
Chp. 67 "Morning After"
Chp. 68 "The Final Meeting"
Chp. 69 "The Plan's in Motion"
Chp. 70 "Mishap"
Chp. 71 "Plan B"
Chp. 72 "Escape"
Chp. 73 "The Final Chase"
Chp. 74 "Aftermath"
Chp. 75 "A Step Forward"
Chp. 76 "Welcome Home"
Chp. 77 "A New Beginning"

Chp. 42 "Pursuing Phase 3"

11K 375 26
By LBrooks23

Chp. 42 “Pursuing Phase 3”

A couple hundred dollars and three hours later we were finally leaving the mall to go eat dinner. After we would go on back to the hotel, sleep, wake up early, and hit the road one last and final time before getting to Buffalo. I was nervous, yes, but more than anything I was just ready. I wanted some relief, I wanted some of the weight taken off of my shoulders, and I knew once we got there I would get that.

It was just a matter of time.

I didn’t know exactly how the meeting with Agent Boyd was going to go down but I was hoping that he would clear a lot of our questions up. I hated not knowing exactly what I was getting myself into.

We pulled into the familiar steakhouses parking lot that Max had whined over when we first arrived in Charleston. My stomach was clenched in hunger and I drooled at the thought of steak and potatoes, and at this very moment of relaxation I realized I had gained my appetite back.

We were sat by a petite hostess an then our orders were taken, and for once looking at the three people next to me I realized we were somewhat like a family.

Avery wasn’t just my girlfriend; she had also become one of my best friends, just like Max, who was more like a brother than anything. Gage still had the protective fatherly-figure but in a sense he also had a fun, brotherly side.

They were the family I had always wanted growing up.

Avery’s hand slipped into mine under the table, pulling me out of my trance-like state I hadn’t realized I was in. She spoke, “You ok?”

I smiled, this time not having to force it, “Yea, I was just thinking how we’re kind of like a family now.”

Max made a face of disapproval, “Yea, except I look at Avery more like the red-headed stepchild rather than actual blood relation.”

I felt Avery’s knee jerk under the table as it came into contact with Max’s shin, and the table jumped when he flinched with discomfort. He leaned over in pain as Avery smiled in sarcasm, “Likewise, Maxwell.”

Gage was stifling laughter on the other side of the table while I leaned my head against the palm of my hand. Those two were something else, but I knew if anything happened to either one of them, the other would be somewhat devastated.

Even if they denied it in front of each other.

“So I’m guessing Agent Roger Boyd will call us around 6:30 considering our ETA is around that time?”

Gage’s question pulled my attention away from Avery and Max’s episode and I nodded, “Yea, and then we’ll just go from there.”

He nodded, “Are you nervous?”

I shrugged, realizing the anxiousness of the situation had immediately returned, “Yea, I mean who wouldn’t be? I haven’t even met this guy before, but so far all of the meetings have been legit.”

I realized I had made a point as Gage took that into consideration, realizing that they were just trying to properly guide us along. My friends knew how dangerous it was to be seen with me, especially if a Snitch or another Agent from the F.P.S. recognized me. I figured we were safe though, considering no one actually knew what I looked like from the F.P.S.

The only weird thing that came to mind was that freaky occurrence that happened in Monroe with the Black Dodge that had followed us. It made me wonder if they had actually gotten pictures of me and my friends, and if so, what exactly did they follow us for?

The more thought I put into the situation the more confusing it became, so when the food was set on our table I forced my thoughts away from it. That happened weeks ago, and nothing bad had happened since, so maybe it had just been a freak occurrence.

Besides, if there was anything wrong I’m sure the Protection Bureau would be on top of it.

~ ~ ~ ~

The next morning came quickly as me and my friends slept quite late in the day, leaving right at noon in hopes to make it to Buffalo at 6:00. I knew this car ride was the most important of all, but I also knew it would be the longest as well. I was ready to meet Boyd, I was ready to get this over with, and I was ready to get to the Bureau.

This car ride was different from the others, which had been more quiet and serious, but for some odd reason all four of us were conversing normally. I guessed we were all nervous in a sense, and knowing we weren’t alone in that matter allowed us conversation.

We were about four hours into our drive now, and glancing at the GPS we still had a little ways to go till Buffalo. The further we got from the big towns and cities the more isolated we became, which was fine with me considering the BD3 disease was still out there.

We had gone from about 25 other cars traveling with us to 5, and I didn’t know if anyone had realized it besides me. I had never liked the feeling of isolation but in this case I knew I should be thankful for it, especially for my friends’ well-being.

The less people we came into contact with, then the less likely we would run into an infected person.

 I was just hoping that when we met Agent Boyd everything would be ok.

~ ~ ~ ~

“You have reached your destination.”

The female-automated voice from the GPS spoke, and I heard Max actually reply. “Thank you, Tanya.”

I rolled my eyes and smirked under my hair, hearing Avery respond, “Who the fuck is Tanya?”

“The GPS you idiot, who else?” Max retorted to Avery almost immediately, defending his verbalization of actually naming the GPS.

Avery snorted, letting me know she wasn’t done, “I figured it could’ve been your imaginary girlfriend.”

“Enough,” I demanded, not wanting this snide-remark contest to continue any further while Gage pulled into the parking lot of a hotel. It was 6:00 exactly and I was expecting a phone call from Roger any minute now, but I figured while we waited we could check in.

I knew little about the Bureau procedure but I knew for sure we wouldn’t be staying at this hotel the entire time we were here. If I had heard correctly it would only be until we were instructed otherwise, which I hoped wouldn’t be more than one night.

I wanted to feel safe inside the Bureau, not exposed in some public hotel.

We walked into the lobby and sat on a couch, watching patiently as Gage spoke with the receptionist. Max was playing on his phone but Avery’s attention was on me, and she smiled, “So, how you think this meeting’s gonna go? Considering this is the last step?”

I was curious for sure, and I knew she had a right to be as well, but in all honesty I had no idea what to expect. Meeting Boyd was the last phase, the last step till successfully getting into the Bureau. The place that protected both sets of my parents, and it’s also the place that failed my dad.

If that’s what you wanted to consider it.

Maybe there were people in there that could tell me the entire story, and possibly clear some of the holes in the story. I knew my dad kind of went crazy from power consumption but I knew the Bureau was trying to protect him in a way. My dad couldn’t control himself in the end, and someone from the Federal Agency killed him.

And somewhere in the pit of my stomach I felt revenge bubble.

I had never felt anger like that, but when I thought about my dad being murdered¸ there became this fire deep in my stomach. They killed him simply because they thought he was a threat to society, when in reality my dad had only been trying to save someone.

How could this government affiliation be going on? Were there really that many corrupt government leaders in our White House and Self Defense Team? And if so, then who was covering for this agency that was doing inhumane acts against innocent people?

Then suddenly the ringing of my cellphone pulled me out of my thoughts, and I realized who it was. My heart was beating fast in my chest, and I knew it was Boyd. I answered, “Hello?”

“Andrea, how are you and your friends? Have you all made it to the hotel?”

It was odd hearing him talk about my friends but I figured he was just trying to start a conversation. Although, I just wanted to get the ok with him to meet and get into the safe haven of the Bureau.

I responded, “Yea we’re all fine, and we’re checking in now.”

“Good, listen, I’m sure Doctor Henson told you a bit about what to expect in meeting me. I need you to corporate with me fully because things have been… odd lately around the Bureau.”

“Could you elaborate on that?” I didn’t mean to sound hasty when I replied but I couldn’t help it, I was curious.

“Don’t worry, I’ll explain everything later, meanwhile I’ll text you the address to where I want to meet with you guys. When you get there pull around the back and out of sight, I’ll be there waiting.”

He sounded serious, and I was more nervous than ever now but I had no choice but to go with the flow.

“Yes sir.”

Then as I was hanging up I heard one last sentence, “Be safe Andrea.”

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.9K 69 15
Andy Warthorn is a bright light. And like a moth drawn to a flame, Jia Greene - closeted lesbian - follows her, hoping one day she'll get close enoug...
110K 1.4K 25
'Was it real?' Ms.Black looks up from her phone 'what?' Her raspy voice sucks all my self respect out of my body and all that is left is a tightend f...
Triple Point By Lauren W

Science Fiction

41.2K 4.7K 129
Targeted by superpowered terrorists, an actress is protected by the government's strongest guardian--the same woman who broke her heart two years ago...
2.4M 82.4K 41
~COMPLETED~ GirlxGirl / TeacherxStudent. ~ ~ ~Being one of the most popular girls in high school, Kate Brooks thinks her life is perfect. She has mon...