Discovering Scarlett

By xBiancaRose

When Scarlett's high school sweetheart of four years kicks her to the curb, he turns her world upside down. H... More

Author's Note
01| Gut Feelings
02| Numb
03| Amnesia
04| Daggers
05| Chance
06| Tame
07| Control
08| Grip
09| Haze
10| Torn
11| Storm
12.1| Hesitate
12.2| Beg
13| Reveal
14| Reality
15.1| Code
15.2| Godzilla
17| Suspend
18| Answer
19 | Anticipate
20| Focus
21| Past
22 | Fall
Testing... 1...2...3
23 | Spark
24 | Matched
25| Cut
26| Buzz

16| Snap

14.1K 529 313
By xBiancaRose

{Content Warning: Mild Violence}

How do you do it? How do you get rid of the sinking feeling in your gut? Even in the early morning, I felt the adrenaline coursing through my veins. My body still in fight or flight mode long after the suspense had died. My thoughts never ceased. They went up, down and around like the metal ball in a pinball machine. From one end of the spectrum to the other, only stopping when I glanced at my sister to make sure she was breathing.

Even with my eyes heavy, body weak and restless, my mind persisted, refusing my attempts to succumb to the darkness. Instead, it allowed Cain's words to slither into my mind like a snake, poisoning them with his venom. His cruel utterance hit home, haunting me through the dark of the night because they were true.

I was a damaged, apathetic girl.

I must not have sold the façade of the happy trophy girlfriend well if a man like Cain saw right through me. Shame, in capital bold letters, is what I felt. Embarrassed that I thought I had hidden that to the world. Who else saw through me, at Anderson Corporation? Cindy from HR? Blake my office friend who always brought me coffee?

I felt exposed. They probably thought of me as Thomas's frail charity case it was no wonder why they never looked me in the face. Would they think the same for Elias? I can only imagine what they'll say.

Poor damaged girl, Mother's dead, Fathers useless, she has no family other than her sister. Not to mention the possessive ex-boyfriend set on her destruction. What does a man of Elias's caliber see in a woman like her? He needs a refined woman, polished less messy.

The whispers never stopped, they were constant, following my every move at Anderson. I discarded them thinking it was petty hatred for being Thomas's girlfriend. But if the real cause was pity, it sickened me. There was nothing worse than that. Why did I even care? I would never see those people again. What people thought of me at Anderson or at Castellano Enterprises should be the least of my concerns. I had told off Cain. Stupidly forgetting in the heated moment who the man on the other side of the phone was. With an ego larger than Saturn's rings, he would make sure to teach me a lesson. He always did.

The false bravado I had exhibited last night faded into the air rendering me defenseless not equipped in any way to go battle. I wondered if the universe was testing me. Leering in a dark corner anticipating if I would crack under pressure. It was moments like these that could make or break me. I could either stand tall or cower in defeat. Staring at the white ceiling tiles, one thing was certain. I didn't want to be that girl I used to be.

Sure, maybe I would always be emotionally scarred damaged goods. I can't erase my troubled past or the havoc it caused on my soul but that didn't mean I couldn't be happy. When I saw Isabella, it put things into perspective setting fire within. I would no longer be complacent. I wouldn't let moments pass me by, I would bask in them. I wanted to experience life, the vibrancy and the grimness of it all because experiencing meant you were alive.

I turned my body to the side and stared at the sunrise from the window. Laying on the hospital love seat was equivalent to laying on a trail of rocks or better yet pins and needles. This unpleasantry did remind me of something much more pleasant than my previous thoughts before. The night at the hotel when Elias and I had fallen asleep on the couch—him pulling me closer in his deep sleep. I remember laying there admiring his features wallowing in his warmth, feeling as if my heart would combust in any second. The mere thought of him eased my mind.

I set the harsh wool cover aside and sat up. There was no point in trying to get sleep now. The bright side is that it's the weekend. That would give me plenty of free time to recover from this bout of insomnia. I gleamed at my sister whose mouth was wide open snoring away.

She had exhausted most of her energy last night that I expected her to rest throughout the day. When we were relocated to the fourth floor the nurses had informed me that her ultrasound and CT Scan showed no signs of bleeding anymore. Which was wonderful news as for the rib fracture nothing but pain relief could be administered since the fractures would heal on its own. If my sister continued to show signs of improvement she would be released by tomorrow.

Knowing Isabella would be fine renewed some of my lost energy. I stood, deciding that I should make myself somewhat presentable. I went to the mirror not expecting to be as horrified as I was staring back at my reflection. My mascara smudged, hair a frizzed disheveled mess and still in yesterday's clothes. I would have to endure, leaving my sister unattended was not an option. I wet a paper towel and wiped off the mascara, feeling a tad embarrassed that Elias had witnessed me this way.

"You went with choice number two. I'm Isabella Rayne Delacruz and I approve that message." She laughed groggily enacting a coughing spell.

I finished putting my hair in a messy bun and walked over to her, rubbing her back. "Sis, take it slow. I'm glad to hear you laugh but you need to rest. Okay? but first, tell me what you are talking about."

She cleared her throat as if she was about to begin a long-winded speech. "Let's see, you stay overnight at a hotel with your boss and come back with a trail of hickeys. I'm going to assume it was Elias unless you pulled a random concierge into your room. Which is very unlike you, so I'm like 100 percent sure those are from Mr. Godzilla. I'm proud of you sis. Thought you were going to be all conflicted over the fact he is your boss for like a gazillion years."

"Well you'll be glad to know after much thought I've concluded, that powerful chemistry and attraction is a combination that is almost impossible to fight. Especially if I'm going to be seeing him every day. It's a lost cause. The pull of energy we have when we're around each other is unexplainable."

I pulled myself onto the counter and crossed my legs discarding the paper towel in the trash. "Of course, those things don't erase the complications we face. We're nothing if we overlook the obstacles. But I'm not sure how I can find a plausible solution if I'm still reeling over the fact that the guy I drunk kissed at a club turned out to be my boss and then in a holy shit plot twist fashion we are very compatible together. Let me tell you the odds of finding a decent man in a club while drunk is close to none."

My sister eyes glazed over, I had probably lost her at chemistry but that didn't stop the word vomit coming out of my mouth. "Time is a construct. Time, it doesn't exist. But that fact doesn't stop today's society obsession with it. Giving it much meaning than what it is, a measurement of spacetime. Instead of being in the moment taking in how people make us feel were thinking about time. Setting things aside even if they bring us an ecstasy we've never experienced before because 'It's not the right time.' There will never be a right time." I paused, twirling my foot around, thinking of a way to put my thoughts into layman's term.

"Sister— "her tone unsure, arching a brow.

"Elias and I haven't known each other for very long, we have things in our fridge longer than I've known him. Which, is really gross we need to clean the fridge but that's beside my point. Thomas and I were together for four years. If I was to gauge by time alone I wouldn't make sense of how I feel when I'm around Elias. Transparent, authentic, like I don't have to put on a front. Everything feels natural like were on the same wavelength. With Thomas, I morphed myself into things I wasn't. Becoming a woman of his dreams, never questioning and internalizing every emotion I felt that wasn't happy." I stared at the hospital window, seeing a plane descend for touchdown in the distance. "I'm mortified at who I was Izzy."

"You didn't sleep last night, did you? I know for fact you didn't because you start to rant. Geeze, Lee take care of yourself. If you weren't embarrassed at yourself at some point, you wouldn't be human. Now, all this talk about chemistry and stuff what does it mean? Are you going for it? Have you guys talked about the tongue dancing that recently occurred between you two? You can't just not discuss that. Unless you want," Isabella gestured her hands to signal an explosion followed with a sound effect to match.

"In our defense, we haven't had an opportunity. The morning after we kissed his brother shows up out of nowhere, then we had the meeting with Oli right after that was an explosion that I don't want to get into. Then on the drive back to LA yesterday kiss was put on back burner cause we had to discuss said explosion. Anyways, I tried bringing it up last night but It came out more like a confessional, all I needed was a melodramatic song in the background. So, I panicked and said it was hypothetical."

I settled myself off the counter and paced back and forth with a hand on my hip. "I'm also really trying to think logically as well, you know since my last relationship with a CEO ended in me losing everything. I can't afford to have history repeat itself. Not that I think Elias is anything like Thomas but I still need to remain somewhat level headed and think of every outcome. I don't want to be blindsided, I need to talk to him, confront this head on and go from there."

"Uh yeah, totes agree if shits going hit the fan you want to be on the same page, dealing with it together. Lee, try not to be too cynical."

She threw an empty grape juice container, startling me back to reality. She laughed. "Pay attention because I'm throwing truth bombs your way. Having feelings for someone is illogical in itself. It's not meant to make sense. You don't need to have all the answers right now but you do need an open line of communication. No need to overcomplicate things you'll say, 'Want to keep making out or quit the tongue dancing cold turkey?' simple and straight to the point."

The door opened wide stopping my next statement from leaving my mouth. In walked a tall, tanned lean but muscular tattooed gentleman in fitted jeans and a band t-shirt with a bouquet of lilies in tow. This must be Tobias. "What is this tongue-dancing that I hear of?" his voice accented with a dialect I could not decipher.

He rushed to Isabella's side giving her a hard kiss on the lips. The love-struck look on both their faces told me they serious about each other. His green eyes glistened with the harsh fluorescent lights of the room as he introduced himself. He explained, him and his friend sustained no injuries in the accident. He also stated his chérie kicked him out not wanting him to miss his important gig. Only a few seconds into our conversation, my sister gave me a sly look then peered at the door.

Taking the bold hint, I excused myself. Privacy was the least I could give. It was also the perfect opportunity to get some much-needed coffee. A charge nurse directed me to the small floor lounge. The small squared lounge didn't have much, carton apple juice, crackers, and coffee. I poured the steamy liquid into the styrofoam cup while I flipped through messages and emails.

My mouth twitched into a smile as I leaned against the counter reading the good morning text from Elias. Right as I was about to reply I felt hands placed on both sides of my hips.

It took three seconds to react before I bolted through the lounge door walking past the swarm of nurses. My heart galloped in my chest as I tried to access my surroundings. There was no way I would bring this mess into Isabella's room.

"You are being childish. Stop this nonsense and talk to me." Thomas said with an assertive tone. I flipped him the bird and set my vision on the elevator if I was quick enough I could lose him there.

I heard the clacking of his dress shoes close behind and quickened my step. My attempt unsuccessful feeling his fingers clamp into my tender flesh. "We need to discuss things, Scarlett." Thomas released his grip with the closing of a medicine cart drawer. The old nurse scowled at us. "Is everything okay here?" I shook my head. "No, you should call security- "He smiled at the nurse, forcing my hand into his. "That won't be necessary. I apologize for the disturbance; my wife is a little upset right now."

A wary smile surfaced on her lips as she nodded. Thomas apologized again using his distraction to my advantage, I yanked my hand out of his and ran to the elevator.

My feet skidded into the floor as the hospital staff passed me pulling a trolley into the elevator. Wasting no time, I turn left into the stairwell and flipped through my contacts trying to find Elias's.

Before I could click the screen, Thomas barged into the stairwell grabbing the phone out of my grasp. I winced when I saw his hand raise throwing the phone down the stairs. My chest tightened hearing the crack of the screen. I kneed him right in his genitals and ran to the bottom of the stairs. The phone was useless, the screen blacked out with colorized pixels.

"Fuck Scar. So, fiery these days aren't you."

I threw the phone at him missing him by long shot. He gritted his teeth, giving me a disapproving look. He has a knack for pulling the victim card. Except for this time, his manipulative ploys would not work.

"Why would I ever want to talk to you huh? Tell me, was it part of your brilliant plan to make me appear to be the informant? Pulling me in closer to you when you saw Elias. Smart move, too bad it didn't work. How do you even know I'm here? Are you and your father bonding over spying on my every move?" I questioned but no longer felt vexed to hear a response.

Three more flights of stairs and I would reach the lobby. I hastened my step hearing his footsteps become increasingly closer. As soon as my foot touched the floor he manhandled me into the corner.

He grabbed my chin forcing me to look at him. I screamed for help but he quickly muffled my cries with his hand. "I never wanted to end things. I refused to marry her until my dad threatened me that he would 'take care' of you. It was around the same time your mother passed away. You were grieving, barely got out of bed. I couldn't do it so I asked my father to postpone. He gave me six months but something had distracted him which gave me three more months. By then I had started drinking, taking anything to take the edge off. Before I knew it, I couldn't stop. I started cheating, treating you like shit and when you confronted me that day about my drinking... I just thought fuck it, things have to come to an end soon."

His words ate at me as he removed his hand off of my lips. Was this just another fabricated lie to excuse himself from any guilt? I no longer trusted a word he said. But the serious expression on his face muddled my perception making me believe maybe he was telling the truth.

I felt suffocated in his tight hold- caged into his arms like an animal. I tried to break free but his grip only tightened pressing me more against his chest. I moved my legs but with each attempt, he pinned them back down. My breathing became rapid as my mind tortured me, reminding me of my remarks to Cain last night.

I thought I knew the type of man Cain was. Cruel, disgusting but this...threatening to kill me. It rattled me. Naïve to think a man like him would not go to that extent to get what he wanted.

I turn my head uncomfortable with his unrelenting stare only to have him force my eyes back to him. "I tapped my father's phone since I saw you at Oliver's dad's company. I had never noticed the fear in your eyes before. It made me suspicious. When I heard your phone call with him last night it confirmed them. It all makes sense now you have something on him, don't you? Whatever it is, it was careless of you to provoke him. Now that I'm sober it has made me see things clearly—"

"Let me get things straight. You've known this yet you continued trying to see me. Completely ignoring the fact that your own father has threatened to end my existence if we were together. How would that have worked? Was I going to be your mistress? You didn't think it was important to tell me my life was in danger?"

I tried to headbutt him but he pushed my head against the wall with a tight grip on my neck. "Enough of this. Stop fighting me, I don't want to go to war with you."

His hand steady with same forceful grip, "Did... he.... cause... Isabella's accident?" My throat burned, choking out the words.

"Why would my father care about Isabella? You have not been in danger since the day I accepted to marry Abagail. There's no need for the dramatics. My father has no suspicions that I've seen you at all. But you did put yourself back on his radar last night. Seeing that you now worked for our lead competitor must have unsettled him. You are going to tell me what you know...My father will pay for ruining my life." 

My head felt light, I blinked my eyes trying to get the small black dots out my sight. "You're.... hurting...me," I said fighting for breath.

He unclasped his hand, kissing my cheek as he wiped the tear that fell against my cheek. "I'm sorry. Let me show you how serious I am."

He took my hand placing it against his slacks. "I need you to get something in my pocket. I don't trust if I let you go, that you won't run off on me." I rolled my eyes, grabbing the small velvet box. "Open it." My eyes burned with hatred as I gritted my teeth. "How do you expect me to do that with limited mobility of one hand?"

A smile dangled off the corner of his lips. "Your smart baby, figure it out." I flicked the box open with my thumb taking in the size of the princess cut diamond ring. I laughed, not surprised that he didn't remember the type of ring I liked— a question he had asked often.

His body stiffened at my reaction. "Marry me, Scarlett. He won't be able to touch you if you are my wife. We can get married today. I'll have my assistants leak it to the media. With the public aware of our nuptials, the board nor my father could do nothing of it. You've been my lucky charm, my best advisor without you by my side we have roughly lost twenty-five percent of clients- fifteen percent going to Castellano Enterprises. I didn't notice your significance at the company before but I am willing to consider a more prominent role for you. My wedding with Abagail is set for two weeks. I can prove to you I can be a better man. I will make you fall in love with me again. This is the best plan, the only way I can fix this."

My mind dared me to elicit a reaction out of him. Warranting any reaction would prove if the words he slipped out of his mouth were genuine even though my gut told me they weren't.

"Wow, you really outdid yourself. This is the most romantic proposal ever. Even bringing in your fiancée into the nice equation— a nice touch I must say. I hit the jackpot. What do you want me to say? Yes, I'll marry you right now? Do you expect me to forget your transgressions? All the pain you have caused me? And for that very reason, I rather have someone skin me alive than marry you. Look at yourself. You've become the thing you hate the most, Your father." My voice croaked as I spit in his direction.

His hand cracked across my face, snapping my head back with force of the blow. "You wanted that, didn't you? You practically begged me to do that. I'm tired of your disrespect towards me, you will never do that again." He yanked my hair making my neck twist painfully to the side. "Do you understand?" He pulled harder, "Answer me." I blinked the tears back into my eyes. "Yes, I understand."

He let go, pushing me to the wall. "That's what I thought. I forgot you liked it rough. Don't ever compare me to my father.  I am nothing like him. I did everything in my power to protect you. And this is how you repay me? Ungrateful bitch, I'm done with you. My father was right about your type, your only good for one thing."

He straightened his posture snatching the ring out my hand. "You know, this new bolder side of you. It's sexy I would have enjoyed putting you in your place. That guy you're so wrapped in is a fucking illusion. He's nice now but what happens when he gets his fill of you? You're nothing but a conquest to him, a good fück on the side. A whore at his disposal. If that's what you want so be it."

He released me from his hold. I staggered backward, clutching my face. "Best of luck, in the mess you got yourself into. You're nothing but a pawn in my father's game. I honestly feel a bit sorry for you. You'll learn soon babe. My advice, heed his warning and keep your mouth shut. You look better that way, anyway. "

Author's Note

I am sorry for another long chapter! Sometimes, I can't stop myself. I also want to apologize for the sporadic late updates. Life has been hectic, my schedule changed and I'm still trying to figure it out. Hope you can bear with me.

Thank you so much for the continued support. This story has 22k views! That's intense. I can't thank my readers enough.

As I token of my appreciation, I was thinking of writing a bonus chapter on a subject most requested. The bonus chapter won't reflect the plot but give more insight on the subject that piqued your interest.

You can leave suggestions here.

Much love,
Bianca xx

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.3K 282 35
Once again her dark past wants to write its self , but the only difference this time she has someone to save her from its vicious claws But not only...
18 0 3
After finding out her new girlfriend is cheating on her, Leslie decides to use her new job as the CEO of her father's art firm as a way to experience...
339 78 11
Noah Cartel, a once-wealthy young man who enjoyed the status of being the sole heir to the vast empire of Cartel Enterprises, now finds himself in th...
125K 6.9K 44
Revenge is all both are set out for! Hate is all that drives them! Scarlett Walter isn't a regular corporate employee but the heiress to a fortune, a...