Behind you #Wattys2014

By Ilovefingerprints

The car pulled up closer and closer, I squint to look at my new house. My heart stops when I lay my eyes on i... More

Behind you
Prologue
Chapter one
Chapter two
Chapter three
Chapter four
Chapter five
Chapter six
Chapter seven
Chapter eight
Chapter nine
Chapter ten
Chapter eleven
Chapter twelve
Chapter thirteen
Chapter fourteen
Chapter fifteen
Chapter sixteen
Chapter eighteen
Chapter nineteen
Chapter twenty
Chapter twenty- one
Chapter twenty- two
Chapter twenty- three
Chapter twenty- four
Chapter twenty- five
Chapter twenty- six
Chapter twenty- seven
Chapter twenty- eight
Chapter twenty- nine
Chapter thirty
Chapter thirty- one
Chapter thirty- two
Chapter thirty- three
Chapter thirty- four
Chapter thirty- five
Chapter thirty- six
Chapter thirty- seven
Chapter thirty- eight
Chapter thirty- nine
Chapter forty
Chapter forty- one
Chapter forty- two
Chapter forty- three
Chapter forty- four
Chapter forty- five
Epilogue
Acknowledgements
Note

Chapter seventeen

499 20 11
By Ilovefingerprints

Two months later-

After that day, back in September, I decided to leave the house and the cemetery alone, fine I've attempted, at least.

Alicia got better in the beginning October, she could remember most stuff, but she has a lot of trouble in school, her brain only goes up to 8th grade Algebra 1, she forgot most of the books she reads, she remembers people but she doesn't remember some of her belongings, like the other day when I asked her if she wanted to wear the matching shirt with have with me. We've wore that's shirt a jillion times, at least, and she had no memory of it. She has to take counseling, and there's been so much things going on with her, and I feel like I just can't help her.

She keeps on forgetting that she's in 10th grade instead of 9th, I haven't had much time to spend with her, ever since she had to go see this doctor, that doctor, Mom is overprotective, the police come once in a while. I just want a private life with my sister like always. That makes me hate the Rohypnol guy even more. Eleanor and I have been working up a plan in ho to tell the police, that I know where the Rohypnol guy lives in. I wonder why she helps me so much, I never did anything for her..... I haven't seen Cole in person ever since he got married.  I know that he and Kimberly moved to California, so maybe I won’t see him for a long time, it's a four hour plane ride from New York to California, and we live so near Jersey City.

Gradually in school people dropped the rumor about me, everyone except Rosalyn. I'm not sure what she wants, exactly.

___________________________________________________________

"Are you sure it's going to work?" I ask, heart humping.

"It's just got to, Molly, come on." In the reflection I watch her wink at me.

"Oh, I really wish I could do something for you."

"Molly, you moving in makes me feel so much better! I was so lonely! You told me where Amanda and Natalie are buried. And you make me feel useful too!"

"I know, but I can't help you find your family, didn't you tell me finding them is your mission now? And William?"

 "Yes.." She sighs, then widens her eyes. "Molly, how did you know that his name is William?"

"Uh well..." I stammer. "Wait, cause I pay attention." I give her my best Shane- smirk, we've been making fun of him so much, recently. Eleanor laughs.

"No seriously."

"Well, let's try our plan." I place the mirror on my desk and run, the white light follows me. Mom is still talking to the police at the front door.

"Bla bla bla this case of Alicia McAllister and how she's drugged..." I walk over, slowly. "We do not have a clue who he is, her sister has given us physical descriptions, but we do not have a suspect-"

"Um, hi." I say.

"Sorry sweetie, we're very busy." Mom says, silently telling me to go away, already not a good start.

"Actually I had something to say." I start to twirl my hair, nervously. "Like, you see? The... the Rohypnol guy-" The female officer stares at me, interested. "He lives in Seattle.."

"Molly, you're doing great." Eleanor whispers in my ear. I know I'm not.

"How do you know, Miss. McAllister?' The female officer asks, Mom looks startled and nervous.

"I- I don't know why he was in New York, but he lives there, um, well, I kinda had a dream, and sometimes my dreams are psychic." I couldn't believe how stupid I sound, already. I rehearsed my lines for so long and I'm totally bombing it. "Like, one time I dreamed of moving trucks and uh boxes, and we decided to move here, the very next day." I lie. This one was hard to lie through. "In second grade I had a nightmare about getting beat up and getting a really bad black eye, and I got beat up and a black eye at school the next day." At least this is the truth. That day in second grade, I still remember the boy who punched me to the ground and attacked me, he was a 5th grader. I stop talking, expecting them to say that they have no more time for nonsense, but the female officer smiles, interested.

"Wow, that is very cool, Molly." She puts a hand on my shoulder. I sigh in relief I can't believe my little act with Eleanor can actually fool anyone. "I was going to tell you, Molly, tonight you're going to be on the XYZ news."

"I'm going to what?"

"We just need to interview you, your mother, your sister of course, and your brother,"

"Oh.." I guess I will be seeing Cole in person so soon.

___________________________________________________________

The make- up and hair did not take as long as I thought it would, my stylist was pretty fast, and I got to pick what to wear. I didn't want anything fancy, so I just wore my favorite shirt, a flannel button down from Hollister, and jeans. All-star converse, so casual. Unlike me, Kimberly, who was being styled right beside me, she wore a long violet colored dress. I don't think she really is all that important for this event anyways.

Alicia was being interviewed first, I watched her from inside the building one of the many live televisions. She seemed nervous, her hair was curled into many swirls. My stylist gave up combing my hair a thousand years ago.

Cole and Kimberly were asked about who they invited to their wedding. Kimberly said it was a public kind of thing. My mother went next, and I actually thought that it was embarrassing, I mean how many people are going to see this? Probably half of the people at school.

A woman comes in and tells me to go out. My entire body tenses, my first time on television, I remember wanting to be an actress back when I was like eight. Not happening.

I step onto the stage, with so many cameras... too much, I feel dizzy. That's when time stops and my foot slips, I fall smack on my face. The stinging pain cuts sharp into my chin where it still isn't fully recover from the time I fell off a building with Shane.

"Oh, are you okay!?" One of the cameramen say. If I ever thought that I was embarrassed.... Kimberly could sashay out in heels, I'm wearing sneakers.

"Oh, I'm finer than fine." I blush, taking a seat on the long white bench. This place is so cool.

"Hi, Molly McAllister." My interviewer smiles. She has pretty green eyes and red hair. She's not as dressed up as Kimberly. "My name is Kimberly DeRaps." Oh well, same name.

"Uh, um, uh, uh, hi." I say, into the microphone with a box on the handle like the ones in television.  

"I heard that you are the only one in the family who really knows this guy who drugged your sister."

"Uh... I don't know him?"

"Well, you've interacted with him the most. Molly, that's very interesting, I'm sorry you couldn't stop him."

"If it weren't for that Alicia was in very bad condition, I would've went after him." I sigh, and when I look up, I can see that the camera has zoomed into my face. My eyes pop.

"You know that he lives in Seattle, Washington." She says, forehead creasing. "You said you knew form a psychic dream? Interesting, that's far from New York."

"Right."

"Are you willing to travel up to the Pacific Northwest to help find him? After all, you're the only one who's actually witnessed him putting the drug in your sister's drink."

"I'd do anything for Alicia."

"What a great sister! I heard that you dragged her home, that day, and that you visit her every day after school it the hospital."

“I guess I do." I say, blushing. “I mean, yeah I do."

"So, Molly, who are your friends?" Kimberly DeRaps asks. why does that matter? I just want this to be over as soon as possible so I can leave!

"Eleanor is my best friend ever." My heart stops, what is wrong with me!? How can I all of a suddenly talk about Eleanor!? "Uh, at school, I have two very good friends named Emily Rodriguez and Lexica Lopez, they're awesome!" I need to somehow make people mishear my Eleanor statement but this is recorded!

"Good to know about your social life, Molly." Kimberly DeRaps smiles. "Now, will you describe the guy who drugged your sister again?"

"The Rohypnol guy? He looked really creepy! Kind of like Shane-" It's too late, this time Kimberly DeRaps tilts her head at me.

"Oh, and who's... Shane?"

"Um... um..." My cheeks pale, at least that's what I see on the screen behind Kimberly DeRaps. "He's just this guy that.... um he's the guy who gave me a black eye, in like second grade, yeah."

"Oh." Her smiles back. I sigh in relief.

"He looked just like any gothy emo late teenager." I continue. I don't really know what I'm talking about.

"Is there any way you can know his location now, or his name?"

"I'm sorry but no."

My interview felt like forever, but in the end I had survived. When I returned to my salon, Kimberly rolls her eyes at me.

"Nice trip, Molly, you really can't do anything the right way."

"Thank you." I say, grab my purse, and quickly leave. The interview actually got me thinking, maybe I'll have to soon plan my trip to Seattle.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.8K 347 14
The dead typically want one of two things. Ghosts crave conversation. Spirits seek pain. My name is Bria, and I've been able to interact with the de...
1.8M 89.3K 59
There's a lot of secrets that live in this house, so many bad things happened that would give you nightmares. After a tragedy that changed the commu...
11.6K 1.1K 50
Into a bit of horror? 🔪 Or maybe you just want a little fright? These scary short stories are perfect for you! Each chapter will be a different scar...
37.8K 3.4K 33
Liam left everything that he knew behind, his house, the neighborhood he lived in, and the city that he knew. Why? Because he needed a change. He nee...