Chaos

By veronicasoli

Taylor's father disappears one day and she takes it upon herself to find him and in the process, she loses al... More

Prologue
I: the reputation that I preserve
II: without my wealth
III: my last shred of pride
IV: you said times change
V: popularity comes at a cost
VI: under the scrunity
VII: never be the same
VIII: in the storm
IX: to love who you don't see
X: my perceived reputation
XI: david's curiosity
XII: the devil of your dreams
XII: how not to be numb
XIV: shocked at your ignorance
XV: all the lies
XVI: trust is never enough
XVII: the meathead seeks meat
XVIII: my hidden shame
XIX: the lover of dreams
XXI: to be lost is to be found
XXII: he bulldozed my life
XXIII: my deepest desire
End [Part 1]
XXV: beg for mercy

XX: one second is all it takes

90 15 1
By veronicasoli

HAPPINESS IS something everyone strives for. When you think about it, you realize that that's the whole point of our lives. No longer is it survival. It's happiness. We search for a perfect mate on apps that are for hookups. We spend money on the most expensive car, elaborate houses, clothes, and shoes just so we can feel more bigoted and better about ourselves. We have social media so we can get likes and follows so we would feel like people actually care. Why? Because we like happiness. We want happiness.

But happiness is achieved when everyone else is swimming in a sea of misery. And it's disgusting that you wouldn't have remorse or feel ashamed.

Right now, my misery outweighed any goals of happiness I had ever wished to reach.

        "She left a few hours ago actually. She said something about jogging somewhere. She told me to meet her at school. She was visiting me for medical purposes." David lied through gritted teeth and they had no idea. I shut my eyes and crawled further into the small slot between the couches where I wouldn't be spotted. I wondered how many people stood in front of the door but most importantly, how easily David had thought up that lie. He must know something clearly that he is hiding from me. He must've realized they looked suspicious.

        "You wouldn't have a problem with us entering to look around then right?" A persistent Tank asked. I would assume there were two other people there with him.

        "Uh, sure, but since you're FBI, I believe you need a search warrant for that. Get one and come back," David said smugly, shutting the door halfway before Tank hit it open, from what I could hear.

        "And who are you?" Tank asked, a menacing sound to his voice.

        "Nobody important." David replied. Had he been through something like this before? He seemed to have all the answers. Did his mother find things in my family file that I didn't even know about? Did David know why these men were after me? Were they even dangerous?

        "Okay Mr. Nobody. We will be back with a search warrant. Or we can get Taylor to come to us herself." I heard Tank grunt as the men shifted in front of my door. "Move or we will make you move." Tank threatened. My heart elegance racing wildly as David fell and picked himself up. Had they pushed him? I couldn't see.

        "You can take me. Taylor won't come after me, she doesn't even know who I am. This is my apartment! I don't even know a Taylor! My girlfriend went running, her name is Bethany. Who are you?!" David shouted, spouting lies to protect me. I heard signs of struggle but remained silent in my hiding spot. My heart was racing in the dim morning, just as the sun began to rise.

        "Well Mr. Nobody." Tank stated, "By the looks of your swollen lips and the pink tint of your cheek, I would assume that you are having an affair with Taylor Lance Blakely. And the lies you spouted just a few minutes ago don't coincide with what you just said. If you're in there Taylor, if you can hear me, just know you won't get your boyfriend back until you succumb to our wishes, check your  damn phone child." I wondered how they knew and why they didn't believe David. Were they just used to stealing random people, lying or not.

        My eyes widened. I could hardly contain myself and stay put. Did they say get my boyfriend back?? As in, they were about to steal him. I was beginning to panic and my hiding spot suddenly felt extremely cramped. I wanted to walk out and show myself but as soon as I peaked my head, David gave me a sideways glance- a warning look. I shuddered and his again.

        "We aren't dating. I already told you she isn't here, whoever this Taylor is- she's not here. Now look I don't want any trouble, I-." David shouted, but was quickly cut off. I heard a loud thud, felt movement on the ground, and finally silence.

        I could have done something. I could have stepped out and showed Tank that I was there. But I didn't and instead I let one of the greatest people I have ever met get taken away from me. I took a few moments before deciding to step out of my hiding space. Droplets of blood stained my floor, the door was left open.

       "David." A tear fell out of my eye as I frantically searched for any signs of where they may have taken him. Matt. Matt would help! I quickly ran to Matt's apartment door and began pounding on the door.

        "Matt! Matt! Open the door Matt please Matt!" I cried hysterically, my fists beating as fast as my heart against his door. After a few moments, I crumbled in my tears and pooled on the floor.

        David was trying to protect me. Now he's gone. I had no idea where they had taken him- but I needed to find him. What if they killed him? Damn it Taylor! Don't think like that!

        "Matt, please open the door." I bawled, water droplets staining David's sweater. I began to panic, running back into my apartment and dialing 911.

        "911 what's your emergency."

        "My friend. . ." I had trouble talking, my heart rate accelerating and sobs escaping my lips, "he was kidnapped." I cried.

        "Okay ma'am please take a breath and calm down. What's your location? We can send someone to find your friend. When did this happen?"

        "A few. . . a few minutes ago." I sobbed, what if I never saw him again? That would be an absolute possibility, "what if they kill him? They were 3 men who came looking. . .there's...there's blood on the floor! I'm so scared, I don't want them to hurt him." I cried.

        "Ma'am you're breaking up. Please repeat that."

        "My friend. He. . ." The line went dead. Empty and buzzed. No sound escaped my phone. I sat beside the door. Mom was asleep in the farthest room in the house and I didn't want to disturb her. I cried loudly until my eyes felt like they would burst. A cop car parked below and an officer ran upstairs. They must have tracked my address through my phone. I didn't know hey could do that.

        "Ma'am are you okay?" I couldn't even speak, I couldn't move. He must have seen the blood because he walked to the front of my door and pulled out his phone.

        "I'm calling for back up. Detectives will investigate your case, I need a few statements from you first." I looked up at the cop, attempting to sit up but collapsed beside the spot where David's blood stained the carpet.

        "Can you explain the situation?"

        "D. . . David heard a knock. He. . .he. . . answered the door and I sat. . .on that couch. There were bad men. . .I only know. . ." I began to hiccup, this is ridiculous, "the face of one man. They. . . asked. . . for.. . . . me. I do. . .don't know, David. . .somehow covered for me. I didn't know what they wanted. I was supposed to meet with one of the men to get information about my father. They took him. . . they. . . knocked him down. They took him. They took him. I. . . I was about to show them that I was there. They pushed him down first and I almost stood up. He, he looked at me, to make sure I stayed put. I should've called the cops as soon as they knocked. They took David from me." Tears bled from my eyes like the ocean decided to relocate to my tear ducts. "He's gone. I. . . didn't do. . . anything. I could have helped. I. . ." I began crying. I was unable to talk, speak, or even breath.

        "Okay calm down Miss."

        "CIA I'm here on secret business on behalf of the case of the Blakely Family. We need to have FBI agent Tank. . .I forget his last name. But how often do you meet someone named Tank?" I heard Matt say to the police officers. He held his badge in front of them as they stepped aside.

        "Taylor are you okay?" Matt asked, sitting beside me now. I felt numb, not feeling my lungs breath or my heart break or my tears fall. I was angry at Matt for not answering the door when I had knocked, but I was more angry at myself for letting David bravely stand up for me while I hid behind the shadows.

        "Taylor, its all okay, take deep breaths." Matt sat beside me on the blood stained carpet. I couldn't feel anything but saw him lift me off the ground.

        This thing with my father has gone too far. It's now become personal. And now, more than ever before, I needed to know what happened to cause all this.

¤¤¤

        It's funny to think that a second is all it takes. One last breath. One second. Last time to hear someone's voice. One second. Last heartbeat. One damn second.

        I had never felt a horror as bad as this one that now became me. It was all I could think of. David, I think I may have actually loved him. Loved to the point of imaging a future and family together. Perhaps it was an in the moment sort of love.

        But love fades. And all it takes to do so is one second.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.9K 108 12
**READ PLEASE**A teenage all round beautiful female has trouble trying to adapt to her boyfriends family.. which she thought was perfect. However as...
947 125 27
Hannah Taylor is a bedraggled, constantly tired single mum. Her entire reason for living is for her young daughter, Bea. After she caught her ex chea...
1.7K 74 18
𝑮𝒂𝒃𝒓𝒊𝒆𝒍𝒍𝒂-𝑵𝒂𝒊𝒍𝒆𝒂 (6) "She's dead." "Dead? What does that mean?" The young girl asked with morbid curiosity. "It means, she isn't here...
Nicole By Minahil

Mystery / Thriller

4.8K 116 26
My mother had kept secrets from me for as long as I could remember. Never answering anything I asked about my father, my siblings or why they weren't...