Destiny of the Vengeful (KOTL...

By HiddenSecrets55

Disclaimer: These stories are not mine, all rights go to Phantom_Ink. Set before Lodestar. More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty

Chapter Fifteen

2.3K 36 27
By HiddenSecrets55

Unedited.

This. Is. War.

Beneath those three words was a sign. A sign Sophie had recognize from what she had eaten yesterday. The dessert.

The Neverseen were admitting to poisoning her. They could of killed her, if she hadn't found it so sweet, she could of died. The Neverseen were getting bolder and bolder every day, every moment, every second. She patted Myth's head. "Thank you." She said as she pushed the note in her pocket, as Edaline came running from the side of the house. Sophie though fast and set Iggy on top of Myth's head.

"What's wrong? Are you okay?" Edaline asked as she reached Sophie. Looking at Myth accusingly, "Iggy startled Myth. That's all." Sophie lied. Iggy was sniffing suspiciously at Myth's ear. Myth stood incredibly still as the tiny imp scurried to the thick scruff at Myth's neck and shoulders. Edaline breathed a sigh of relief. "Good. Are you okay? How are you feeling? Do you need anything?" She asked. "Just some water please." Sophie said, and the moment she requested it, Edaline had it in her hands, uncorking it. "This is the last one you can have." Edaline said. Sophie's mouth felt dry, but she nodded. "Okay."

"I was reading up on Myth... I think he's a cross between a Bora Wolf and Rouge Beast." Edaline said as she rubbed Myth's head. "Is that a good thing?" Sophie asked. Edaline nodded. "It seems as if Myth got the very best traits of each animal. Bora Wolves are incredibly loyal to their masters...though we as elves don't enslave any kind of beast we take care of them, and thus they think we are their masters, and Rouge Beasts are intelligent and strong, incredibly strong, fast and graceful with instincts to protect and guard it's home. Myth seems to have accepted you as his master and considers Havenfield his home...though he will follow you wherever you let him." Edaline said.

Sophie looked at the beast who looked at her with those soulful eyes, burning into Sophie's heart. She left her hand on Myth's head. She would be happy to have such a loyal beast at her side. Iggy popped up out of the fur, chewing a ringlet of fur. The fetishistic imp squeaked as if approving the state of Myth's fur. "A Bora Wolf and a Rouge Beast." Sophie wondered. Myth's ears turned towards her at the sound of her voice. "He can stay can't he?" Sophie asked Edaline. "I'm afraid we won't be able to get rid of him." Edaline said picking Iggy out of Myth's coat.

Sophie grinned at Myth, as if trying to copy her Myth pulled back the skin over his snout and tried to smile. Sophie chuckled, "I'll take Iggy with me to the garden. Just call if you need anything." Edaline said. "Okay." Sophie said, as she watched Edaline walk away. She pulled the note out of her pocket again and read.

This. Is. War.

They had poisoned her. They had gotten that close to her. She had come that close to dying. Again. She had been that close to a Neverseen member. The Neverseen had come to Havenfield. A cold wet nose was pushed into Sophie's lap and nudged her. Myth looked up at her with questioning eyes. Asking the silent question for Sophie.

What was she going to do? How could she protect Grady and Edaline? How could she even protect her friends? How could she protect herself?

"Well I guess it's true. The Moonlark was poisoned." A voice said gruffly, making Myth start to growl but Sophie clasped a hand over his muzzle. "You're with the Black Swan too?" Sophie asked as she looked at Brosh. He grumbled under his breath, "What do you mean too?" He asked, as he scratched at his beard. "Nothing." Sophie said but held the note to Brosh, as she explained how Myth protected her.
Brosh's face darkened as he handed her the note back and looked over Myth.

"He could get seriously hurt, being exposed like that." Brosh stared at Myth long and hard before nodding. "If he's going to be your protector, he'll need protecting." Before Sophie could ask what Brosh meant, he was gone. Myth glanced at Sophie wondering what had just passed between the two.
Sophie ached as she stood. "I don't know Myth." Myth stood beside her as she leaned against him for support she stumbled over to Calla's tree.

Those three words ringing and echoing in her head.
Like a voice repeating it...over...and over...and over again. Those words that would haunt her thoughts till there was no meaning behind them.

This. Is. War.

They had poisoned her. She could have died if she had eaten more of that to sweet to eat dessert. Her insides would of liquefied and burned her from the inside out. The thought shook Sophie more then she thought was possible. War. Did they mean war with her and the Black Swan or the Lost Cities?

Sophie had never experienced war...all she knew that war was worse then hell. In hell the people there deserved what they got, they were bad people, but in war...in war innocence was caught in the crossfire. Blood was shed that wasn't meant to be shed. Beautiful innocence was destroyed, and lives were taken that weren't meant to be taken. Sophie painfully hiked up the hill that seemed bigger and steeper then ever. However what shook Sophie so much, were her own questions. Could she even win this war? What innocence would be lost? Whose blood would be shed first? Who would claim ruthless revenge? Who would fall onto insanity? Who would lose everything? But most of all...who would win?

Sophie fell to her knees in distress. Thoughts tormenting her mind, as tears burned out of her eyes. "Calla..." She wept, she knee only suffering, misery and grief would come from this pointless and futile war. Only anguish and pain. Sophie wept for all that was to come, all that which was soon to happen. This. Is. War.

Calla, Kenric, and Jolie were only the beginnings of the blood shed. Though Calla sacrificed herself for her people, Sophie knew selfless people would make more sacrifices. Causing others to claim ruthless revenge causing more blood shed, more sacrifices and only a chain reaction that repeated itself. Sophie did the only thing she could at the moment. She wept.

For all that was to coming. Nearly screaming out in pain...and the pain that was to come. She dug the pads of her fingers into the rough bark of Calla's tree, she wept for everything. Her human family, her friends, Grady and Edaline, Jolie, and even Brant, who had let the darkness take him over. Sophie clung to Calla. She didn't know how long she cried but when Myth nudged her back with his cold nose, her senses came back. Two choices: fight or flight.

Sophie chose the choice she was created to do. She chose to fight. She would fight, she had no time for weeping. No matter what, she had to fight. She was created to fight. Sophie sniffed and scrubbed her eyes, with her long sleeve shirt. She would get her strength back and she would fight. Sophie made her choice. There was no backing out of it. No changing her mind. She was going to fight.

~

"What are you doing? You should be in bed." Fitz said frantically as he wrapped his arm around Sophie's waist, as she winced trying to walk. "I'm fine, Fitz." She said, even though her teeth were gritted against the pain. "Where is Edaline? I thought she was watching you." Fitz said. Sophie smiled ruefully.

A few hours ago, Edaline had put her to bed, but Sophie had gotten up again. As if on que, Edaline's voice could be heard in the house. "Sophie Elizabeth where are you?"

Fitz looked down at Sophie. "'I just...I needed to breath." Sophie said. This. Is. War. After reading those three words a heavy pressure had settled in Sophie's chest, making it feel as if she couldn't breath correctly. Fitz's eyebrows turned down. "Let's get inside, you need to lay dow-"

"No." Sophie couldn't feel those walls pressing down on her. "Please no..." Sophie said. Fitz frowned, "Why not?" Sophie wanted to tell him. She wanted to tell him about the note, about the war that had started. She wanted to tell him about the Neverseen. But she couldn't find her voice, she felt the arm around her waist tighten, reminding her it was there. She pulled away quickly. "Just...." Sophie shook her head and stepped away from Fitz. "No." Her muscles burned, and her knees shook, but she had to be strong if she wanted to win this war. She couldn't have a crutch.

She hated how the moment she stepped into Havenfield, everything weighed down on her. The windows, the walls, the ceiling, every bit of Havenfield felt like it was adding to the pressure in her chest. "Sophie," Fitz stepped towards her. Making her fall back two more steps. "What's wrong?" He asked carefully. His hands reaching out to her, as if he were trying to calm a wild animal. His voice soothed Sophie, "I don't... I can't go inside." Sophie said. "Alright." Fitz said. "At least...sit in the hammock." Fitz said calmly. Sophie looked at the hammock. The blanket had been left, she might not feel so much pain. "Would you tell me what's wrong?" Fitz asked half reaching out, ready to catch Sophie, as she lowered herself in the hammock.

Sophie found herself tearing out an eyelash. Sophie's muscles twinged but she refused to acknowledge the pain. How could she tell her friends she started a war? How could she face her friends? How could she face Fitz? As if saving her Keefe leaped into sight, stumbling forward, he kicked at the fading beam of lights as if to kick whoever was on the other side. He looked around and smirked at Sophie. "Hey Foster, Fitz bothering you?" He asked as he brushed off his Foxfire uniform. "No." Sophie said, as she watched Keefe stride confidently over and stood in front of her and Fitz. "I've got news... Big news, that needs everyone to hear." Keefe said. "Like news big enough for you all to forgive me." He said.

Sophie tried to stand and almost instantly Fitz was at her side. "You need to rest." He said. "Whoa! That's some pain there! Sit down." Keefe said stepping forward as if to help her but stepped back, as Fitz took Sophie's arm and helped her sit back down. "What happened to you?" Keefe asked Sophie taking in her pale face, her face that was twisted in pain, and the aching feeling radiating off of her. "Never mind about me. What's the news?" Sophie asked as she relented to sitting down. "Fitz, call everyone over would you?" Keefe asked, not taking his eyes off of Sophie.

Fitz grumbled something under his breath but dug his imparter out of his pocket. "What happened Foster?" Keefe asked in a more serious tone. Sophie rubbed her arms. "Nothin-"

"Don't lie to me!" Keefe snapped, as the others leaped into Havenfield. "I tried to lie to my closest friends, and now they are the farthest apart from me. You're planning something, something big that you think you can handle yourself." Keefe said. "I left you all out, and look where that got me. Do you want that?" He asked, as everyone's eyebrows raised. "You want to know!" Sophie shouted, shoving herself to her feet. "You want to know that I was coughing blood and poison all night?! You want to know the Neverseen just tried to poison me yesterday, and left me a note today?! You want to freaken know why I'm not including any of you?! Fine! Here!" Sophie tore the note out of her pocket, nearly ripping it in half in the process and shoving it into Keefe's chest. "That's why!" She snapped, tears in her eyes.

Keefe glanced at the note before shoving it at Fitz. "Alright. It's war, now what are you talking about being poisoned?" Keefe growled his eyes snapping to Sophie, as she weakly sank into the hammock. Dex was beside her in a moment. "You don't get it Keefe. Innocence is killed in war. You elves have never had wars in your history, war is hell."

"She was poisoned yesterday when we were out eating. Grady, Elwin and Dad went to check it out." Fitz said gravely, handing the note to Tam. "No matter how many questions pop up about you two being together out eating, I'll shove it aside for a moment, and ask this: why didn't you hail us?" Keefe asked. "Because Sophie was in pain, and I had to stay with her to calm her down." Fitz said coldly as Keefe took a step towards him. "You could of still hailed us." Keefe said.

"How?! You want me to leave Sophie screaming in agony just to hail you?!" Fitz asked as he stepped to Keefe's silent challenge. "Guys." Sophie said but Keefe and Fitz were face to face glaring, not paying attention too anything else. "I could of been able to help!" Keefe sneered. "No you couldn't!" Fitz growled. Keefe's fists clenched tightly, "You don't know tha-"

"Enough!" Sophie shouted, her voice ringing. Before she winced and clutched her stinging chest. "We have a war to worry about, and you two are here fighting like territorial dogs, and until you both can realize what's important, I'll kick you both harder then you can imagine." She growled. Making both boys hang their head. Sophie said a few words under her breath she shouldn't have before taking a deep breath. "I was poisoned by the Neverseen and war has been claimed, we don't need a stupid rival tearing everyone apart. The question is what we do?"

"I was under the impressing you had a plan." Keefe said. "I have a plan for me. What I'm going to do. As for the rest of you, you, need to find out what you are going to do." Sophie said as she sat down again. Aching from head to toe. Dex reached out and almost cautiously brushed her arm. "I'm with you Sophie." His arm wrapped around her shoulders. "I trust you. I know we believe in the same thing, so I know I can follow you." Dex said carefully, pulling Sophie close. Sophie let herself lean against Dex as she breathed a sigh of relief, as she closed her eyes. Tiredly, her head hurt.

"Remember... We'll be okay." Dex whispered as he rested his chin on top of her head. "I'll do what I was created to do." Sophie let herself take in Dex's warmth a bit more before pulling away. "I'm going to fight, Dex. This is a choice you have to make for yourself, think about your family." She said taking Dex's hands in her own. "You have a family too." Dex said. "I've made my choice." Sophie said. "Alright...what about me? You?...us?" Dex's hands pressed into her own. "Aren't we family?" He asked. His periwinkle eyes burning holes into Sophie. "Everything we've been through. That has to count for something." Sophie reached up, despite her aching and weak arm, she rested a hand on Dex's cheek. "Dex,...I've made my choice." She said as her hand dropped to Dex's shoulder. Dex's jaw set.

"But yes. To answer your question, yes, we are family." Sophie said forcing a smile. "Of sorts." She said, making a small smile break through Dex's stony face. "But right now...this is your choice. You have siblings, parents, aunts and uncles." Sophie said. Dex pulled away from Sophie. "Maybe we can try to talk this out with the Neverseen." He suggested. Sophie shook her head, "They waged war." Sophie took a deep breath. "If it's a war they want. It's a war they'll get...a war they won't win." Sophie looked at Dex. "No one will judge you if you don't fight." Dex shook his head. "I know what I'll do." He said his hand pressing to the pin on his chest. "I'll make weapons for you. I'll make sure you come back." He said, as he reached for Sophie's wrist, and twisted the sucker punch.

"I'll make sure you win." He said. Sophie smiled, and bent her head forehead, resting it on Dex's own, she closed her eyes. "I'll come back. I promise." She said. Dex grinned, "You better...you still owe me a favor." He said trying to lighten the mood as he pulled away. "I do, don't I?" Sophie smiled. "Foster, I've tried this before...what you're doing, it does nothing! It gets you no where." Keefe said in a pleading tone. Reminding the two best friends they weren't alone. Sophie looked up, "No. What you did Keefe, is completely different from what I'm doing." Sophie said as she looked at her friends.

"That pressure? The pressure in your chest like you can't breath? Like you can't be inside any kind of building, that constant pain behind your eyes and the weight tied to your gut? I know that feeling Sophie. Don't think for a moment I don't know what that feels like. This isn't the way to do things. We're stronger together remember? Remember you begged for me to come home?" Keefe kneeled in front of Sophie and grasped her hands, holding on so tight his knuckles turned white. "Come back Sophie. Don't go down that road, it only leads to self destruction, and guilt that follows you like a cloud. That pressure? It doesn't go away until you come back, that pain behind your eyes..like your head is about to explode it only stops once you realize,

Once you realize you have good in you. Please don't go down this road Sophie, I'm begging... Begging you, don't make the same mistakes I've already made." Keefe said. "It does get better...but you have to trust us...your friends." Sophie looked up from Keefe's begging eyes, to Tam and Linh. "We just got our life back." Linh nearly whispered. Tam placed his arm protectively around his sister's shoulders. "We're not about to throw that away." He said. Sophie looked at Biana, "I can't fight. I can't do anything special-"

"I disagree with you." Everyone jumped and looked up at Alden, who stood in his regal glory. He looked at Keefe kneeling before Sophie, and his eyebrows raised. Keefe stood up, "I was right wasn't I?" He asked Alden. Alden sighed, "Yes, you were right."

"Maybe this will change your mind." Keefe said shooting Sophie a glance. "I do believe you can do something incredibly special Biana." Alden told his daughter firmly before looking at Sophie. "How are you feeling?"

"I'm recovering." Sophie replied. Alden sighed. "Well, Keefe told me a very interesting...if not disturbing theory and I found it correct." Alden looked at each of the seven elves in the eyes. "The Neverseen have a washer on their side. From what we can tell...Ruy has no memory of kidnapping or hurting Dex and Sophie. Alvar..." Alden cleared his throat. "Alvar has no memory of Mt. Everest, along with other members of the things they've done." Alden said.

No memory. They'd have no memory of the war. "We have bigger problems than that." Sophie said handing Alden the note. "Actually...." Dex said even though Alden's eyes hardened. Dex reached in his bag and pulled out a note. "The Black Swan are wanting me to make , and from what I understand...they want Sophie to go to the forbidden cities so they can trigger another ability." Dex handed the note to Alden. Dex however turned his eyes to Sophie, and Sophie could read in his eyes, as clear as reading words out of a book.

I figured out the catche.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

916K 38.7K 80
Maddison Sloan starts her residency at Seattle Grace Hospital and runs into old faces and new friends. "Ugh, men are idiots." OC x OC
94.4K 749 14
𝙄𝙉 𝙒𝙃𝙄𝘾𝙃, I write Imagines about Jeremiah Fisher and the rest of TSITP OR 𝙄𝙉 𝙒𝙃𝙄𝘾...
221K 9.4K 60
╰┈➤ *⋆❝ 𝐢'𝐝 𝐫𝐚𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫 𝐧𝐨𝐭 𝐥𝐨𝐬𝐞 𝐦𝐲 𝐜𝐨𝐟𝐟𝐞𝐞 𝐭𝐚𝐛𝐥𝐞 𝐚𝐬 𝐚 𝐫𝐞𝐬𝐮𝐥𝐭 𝐨𝐟 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐩𝐢𝐬𝐬𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐨𝐟𝐟 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐭𝐢𝐦𝐞-𝐛...
1.2K 30 3
Story about Abhimanyu and his twin (imagination) brother lives. peep to know more