Just Picture It

Από Lisa_R_Baird

After finding out the horrors of a bad foster home and living at the youth shelter for the last few months, J... Περισσότερα

Chapter 1- A Judge's Decision
Chapter 2- Waiting Waiting Waiting
Chapter 3- Emancipation or Bust...Heads
Chapter 4- New Neighbors
Chapter 5- Mini Jackie Chans
Chapter 6- Fight?
Chapter 7- Time to Take a Stand
Chapter 8- Apologies and Lies
Chapter 9- Prove It
Chapter 10- The Past
Chapter 11- The Treatment
Chapter 12- A Place to Call My Own
Chapter 13- Questions, Questions, Questions
Chapter 14- Spies
Chapter 15- Play Time and Gossip
Chapter 16- Test Time
Chapter 17- A Side Spin Shot?!?
Chapter 18- Meet the Family
Chapter 19- We Weren't Doing Anything
Chapter 20- Just a Little Talk
Chapter 21- Pranksters
Chapter 22- Strategy
Chapter 23- A Dangerous Serve
Chapter 24- Just Some Playtime at the Park
Chapter 25- Some Plans Just Don't Work Out
Chapter 26- Are We In This Together or Not?
Chapter 27- Keesha and Ketara Help Tell What Happened
Chapter 28- Who is Playing Doctor?
Chapter 29- Chess and Confess
Chapter 30- An Audience
Chapter 31- Tempted to Taunt
Chapter 32- Is Looking Stupid a Bad Thing?
Chapter 33- Mega Back Spin
Chapter 34- Getting a Schedule Shouldn't be too Hard
Chapter 36- Lunchtime Confessions
Chapter 37- Tennis Practice or Marathon Training?
Chapter 38- Another Kick Serve?
Chapter 39- You Have to Leave?!?
Chapter 40- A Shoulder to Cry On
Chapter 41- Refreshed and Ready... Almost
Chapter 42- Demonstration
Chapter 43- The Job Offer
Chapter 44- Plots and More Plots
Chapter 45- The Unexpected
Chapter 46- The Reasons Matter
Chapter 47- A Wonderful Day... Or Not
Chapter 48- The Plan or Most of It
Chapter 49- What Camera?
Chapter 50- Can't I Do Anything Right?
Chapter 51- Can't Avoid All of the Consequences
Chapter 51- Can't Avoid All the Consequences Part 2
Chapter 52- Too Many Questions
Chapter 53- The Sex Talk
Chapter 54- How to Avoid Troublesome Questions
Chapter 55- The Parental Talk
Chapter 56- Trust Equals Truth, Right?
Chapter 57- Friends Back You Up... No Matter What
Chapter 58- Practice Can Be Hell
Chapter 59- Found Out ?!?!
Chapter 60- Just One More Question
Chapter 61- One Week Later

Chapter 35- Staring Eyes and Lunchtime Drama

444 24 6
Από Lisa_R_Baird

Monday, January 30th 9:30AM

Lincoln High School Hallway

It was easy for Jamie to find her locker, and the combination worked the same as in all her other schools. She stored her tennis things, and took the rest with as she headed down the hall looking for Mr. Shank's English class.

She found it quicker than she would have thought. At the door, Jamie wondered if she should have waited, but reminded herself that Korbin would be there. All she had to do was get through the introduction. She took one more deep breath and pasted on a confident smile before she opened the door, and all eyes turned toward her. Why did they always stare at the new kid, she wondered as she strode confidently across the room and handed the note to the teacher. While the teacher was looking at the note, Jamie quickly scanned the room. A real smile formed when she saw that the open spot in the classroom was next to Korbin.

Mr. Shanks finished the note and introduced Jamie to the class. He glanced around the room and frowned as he said, "It appears that we have only one open seat."

"That will be fine," Jamie said as she sat next to Korbin.

"Good, good," said the teacher. He looked at Korbin and said, "We can always rearrange the room if needed."

Korbin glared at the teacher for that suggestion. Jamie wondered what the problem was, but she was so relieved that she just smiled and nodded.

Jamie was assigned a book and looked at the discussion on symbolism. She had even read the book that they were discussing. Mr. Shanks quickly continued the discussion in a way that made it interesting. Jamie almost raised her hand a couple of times, but decided to watch a little more first, and let the discussion go on around her as she looked over the sheet explaining the grading. One line caught her eye. The number of points next to a group project was huge. The panic started as she remembered the epic failure of being partnered into groups at Roosevelt.

It was like Mr. Shanks had read her mind. He started talking about the project, and was telling them to find a partner. At least the partner wouldn't be assigned. Jamie turned to Korbin quickly, and found him already looking her way. Jamie raised an eyebrow and Korbin nodded. The panic went away, but Jamie wasn't sure why Korbin looked as relieved as she did.

There were some other things that seemed strange. When the teacher had the class name their partners, he shot her a concerned look before continuing down the list. When class was done, most kids rushed the door. Jamie took her time gathering her things, and checked her schedule. When a shadow fell across the page, she looked up at Korbin with a smile.

Korbin smiled back and said, "Ms. Johnson came through. You have the exact same schedule as I do, and your locker is next to mine."

Jamie stiffened when they got to the door and saw the swarm rushing past, but Korbin just took her hand and bulled through the halls. People stepped to the side and Jamie followed in his wake. When they reached their adjacent lockers Korbin was able to block the foot traffic as they put away their books. She was even able to relax enough to look around the halls. She didn't watch the other students. The huge numbers might freak her out, but she did find the cameras and blind spots that she had noticed earlier.

Even entering the next classes weren't too bad. Korbin stayed with her while the class stared, and somehow the spots next to him always seemed to be empty. With Korbin at her side she even felt good walking into the lunchroom and getting her tray.

As they turned to face the tables Jamie paused nervously, but Korbin already had a plan. He led the way to one of the tables furthest from the door and the main traffic as he asked, "Wall or aisle?"

Jamie blinked and asked, "What"

Korbin said in a low voice, "If you sit at an end, you only have one person next to you, and that would be me. I just didn't know if you wanted to be next to the wall, or on the aisle."

Jamie frowned and then said, "Let's try the aisle. There will be more people walking by, but I'll have an exit."

They had hardly sat down when Sondra, Danica, and Hillary joined them along with Korbin's teammates. Soon the table was full and Jamie was glad that Korbin had thought ahead. Just when she was starting to worry about there being too many people, they stopped coming. Jamie took a deep breath and glanced around. She recognized everyone at the table, and the ones close by were surprisingly empty. For a moment, Jamie was confused, then Jamie saw why the tables were almost empty. Every time someone headed their way, Korbin would glare until they turned away. Sure, there were a few kids at nearby tables, but not very many.

Jamie hid a smile and began to relax as she let the chatting voices swirl around her and ate her lunch. This was much different from lunchtime at Roosevelt. There, she had trouble finding a table that would let her sit with them. Now she had to worry about too many people crowding her.

Her musing was interrupted when Moe glanced at Korbin with a teasing smile before he said to Jamie, "I had a couple of classes with you this morning. It seems that Korbin is helping you get adjusted. I don't know if you noticed, but that makes the teachers nervous. Usually they just let Korbin do the assignments on his own and give him some space. Are you sure you wouldn't rather be partnered with me?"

Sondra and Jamie both froze while Korbin glared. Jamie leaned into Korbin's side casually, and just stared at Moe as she considered the best way to respond. When Moe started to squirm and eventually seemed to realize how out of line his teasing was, Jamie relaxed a little. It didn't hurt that Korbin had casually slid an arm around her back. Jamie finally answered with a simple, "No thanks," and went back to her lunch.

Moe squirmed uncomfortably for a few minutes before he changed the subject by asking in a more serious tone, "Have you decided if you are joining the girls' tennis team?"

Jamie shared, "I met Coach Marshall while I was in the office. She invited me to join. I don't want to throw off the team, but it could be interesting," she said wistfully.

Moe smiled and suggested, "You should watch our practice. Today is the final day for the tournament that decides our varsity team."

"I don't want to miss Korbin's matches. I'll find a way to watch no matter what," Jamie promised. She looked over and noticed Korbin had stopped eating and was picking at his food. "What's wrong?" she whispered.

"I had managed to forget about the tournament for awhile. Now the butterflies in my stomach are bouncing on trampolines," Korbin replied with a wry grin.

Jamie grinned at Korbin's attempt at humor even as she reassured, "You'll do fine."

Korbin gave a nod, and had just picked up his fork again when Susie casually walked by with Aaron and Nancy. As she cut near the table, Susie spoke in a loud carrying voice, "Yes, my nose is broken. A real bitch broke it this weekend."

Aaron glared over at Korbin as he answered Susie pointedly, "You just can't trust some of the people who are at the public tennis courts. Some are just so violent and low class." He came to a stop and looked at Jamie in fake surprise before adding, "I guess that this school lets in violent and low class people too." His gaze turned back to Korbin and Moe as he continued with a sneer, "I shouldn't be surprised. The school let in you two. One gets into fights and the other has to live with his cousins since his parents don't want him."

Jamie grabbed Korbin's arm as he started to rise, and saw Danica and Sondra do the same with Moe. Before anyone else could do anything Terrence intervened. He had moved from his spot quickly to step in front of Aaron, and said firmly, "That is enough. We need to talk. NOW."

Aaron looked like he wanted to say more and began to go around Terrence. Terrence didn't wait for Aaron's agreement. In fact, he almost lifted him off the floor as he rushed Aaron out of the room. Moe and Korbin eased into their seats as Jamie turned back to see if Susie was going to keep it up.

Susie looked after Aaron nervously, but Nancy looked around the almost empty area and then gave Susie a little nudge. Susie then took a determined step forward. The best defense was a good offense Jamie reminded herself and decided to not wait for another attack.

Jamie raised her chin proudly and stood up. As she put a hand on Korbin's shoulder for support, she felt the tension in his muscles. Even if he was still sitting, Korbin was ready to explode. That would be a bad idea. The shock, worry, and anxiety Jamie had been feeling found its focus and turned into hot anger. Jamie began to rub Korbin's shoulders as she prepared her words to have the most effect.

The harsh chuckle and loud words that Jamie forced out, could be heard several tables away. "You make it sound like I beat you with a racket. Why don't you just admit that you aren't a very good player? You were the one that told me to show you my best shot.  You not only couldn't return my first serve, but you didn't even get out of the way. You don't want to admit how awful a player are, so you are spreading rumors." Susie's mouth opened and closed like a fish and her face turned red. Before she could comment Jamie continued, "There is no need to have your friend make trouble with Moe and Korbin. I guess he isn't worried about getting kicked off the tennis team for fighting. He must not have done well enough to have a chance at the varsity team like Korbin or Moe. I guess he is just second rate... like you."

The few people close by, all gasped at her words. Susie stumbled back like Jamie had actually slapped her, and her face drained of all color.

Nancy's own gasp of outrage seemed to shake Susie out of her shock. She shot Jamie an evil look and hissed, "I tried to warn you once. Enjoy the attention while it lasts. Soon, no one will want to be around you. I know people from your last school. Soon, everyone here will know all your old secrets. Once that happens, no one will want to be around you anymore." She whirled away with Nancy following quickly behind.

Jamie watched her go with concern, but once she was gone Jamie let out a big breath and swayed a little. As soon as Susie was gone, the people from the surrounding tables must have decided the show was over. They got up and left. At first, Jamie thought Susie's words were already coming true, but then she saw the true reason.

They stopped at other tables and started whispering to friends that had been too far away to hear the conversation. Soon, the indeterminate roar of whispers swelled. Back to being the center of gossip, Jamie realized. It wasn't as bad as at Roosevelt though. The gazes didn't seem to be full of dislike. Instead, Jamie realized, they were curious and filled with excitement.

Korbin drew her attention when he commented dryly, "You know, I was worried that Susie might be a little mad about the broken nose, but now I think I might have overestimated her anger before."

Moe grinned in understanding and suggested, "You mean because she will be so mad about being made to look stupid in the lunch room that she won't be so mad over her nose.?"

Korbin nodded and smiled back at Moe. Jamie rolled her eyes, but was glad that he was able to joke a little. At least he wasn't as tense anymore, Jamie realized as she ran her hand over his back one more time before sitting back down. She frowned at Korbin before she commented, "At least I used words. You looked like you were about to pound on Aaron in the middle of the lunch room. I think the school frowns on that sort of lunchtime entertainment."

When Korbin exchanged glances with Moe, she knew that she had guessed right. Korbin shrugged and said dryly, "Now why would we need to do that when we have Terrence and you to defend us?"

Jamie glanced over cautiously, but even though Korbin wasn't happy, he was eating again and didn't seem ready to explode. She looked around the table. Most had gone back to eating their lunch, but Danica and Sondra had squeezed in next to Moe, and were talking to him quietly. When Sondra took Moe's hand, he looked down in surprise. It wasn't long until he was smiling and relaxed like nothing had happened.

When Terrence came back alone, he glanced around at the whispering room and their abandoned area. His eyes rolled, but he didn't say anything as he sat down, and tried to act natural. Korbin cleared his throat. Jamie looked up anxiously as she worried that Korbin was going to say something to Terrence about fighting his own fights. He was looking at her instead of Terrence though and seemed more concerned than angry as he softly said, "She's just angry right now. You don't have to worry about Susie. She has a hot temper, but things will cool down soon. Besides, she can't hurt you even if she does find out about what happened at your last school."

Moe caught enough of Korbin's words to be curious. "Do you have some deep dark secrets, Jamie?" he asked teasingly. Danica and Sondra exchanged glances. Danica nudged Moe and gave him a frown and a small shake of the head, but he was on a roll.

Jamie isn't perfect. I hope you still find her a likeable character and not too much of a "mean girl."

What about Moe? He doesn't mean any harm, but he doesn't know when to stop, does he? Want to take a guess on what happens next? Do you think Jamie will trust enough to tell about her past? If you like this chapter please vote, follow, or comment. I live for your feedback. Thanks.

Συνέχεια Ανάγνωσης

Θα σας αρέσει επίσης

Just Try It Από LRB

Ρομαντική

10.2K 584 75
Sondra Riley has had enough. Over the years she has become and expert at placating those around her. Now everyone expects her to let them run her l...
Jamie Από Maxy

Μικρού Μήκους

1.5K 108 35
Its the year 1966 Jamie is 17 her mother has been abused by father since she turned 5 it been 12 years and all Jamie want to do is spend her last yea...
3.9K 374 67
**Jamie lowered himself so his face met mine. "Are you stupid?" he asked, cocking his head to the side. "Jamie!.." I rushed between gasps, "you're h...
1.4K 82 22
"I walk down the school hallway, "don't make eye contact" I keep repeating in my head. The sweet smell of cologne and perfume fills the halls. I kee...