Default Settings // Sequel to...

By Small_Raging_Turtles

!*! Sequel to Factory Reset !*! !*! Please read that first !*! A default, in computer science, refers to the... More

A/N
Chapter 1: In Another Life
Chapter 2: A Friend's Help
Chapter 3: Trust Is A Fragile Thing
Chapter 4: Hidden Away
Chapter 5: Red
Chapter 6: The Living Experiment
Chapter 8: When Apologies Are Due
Chapter 9: Take A Break
Chapter 10: Where Am I?
Chapter 11: A Challenge For Authority
Chapter 12: Not Without A Fight
Chapter 13: It'll Hear You
Chapter 14: Scared
Chapter 15: The New Place
Chapter 16: Trapped
Chapter 17: Weak
Chapter 18: The Empty Room
Chapter 19: Strange Happenings
Chapter 20: Calm Before The Storm
Chapter 21: The Surface
Chapter 22: New Recruit, Old Friend
Chapter 23: Do It For Me
Chapter 24: An Offer You Can't Refuse
Chapter 25: Trust In Me
Chapter 26: Who's Side Are You On?
Chapter 27: It Doesn't Feel The Same
Chapter 28: The Mission
Chapter 29: The Fool
Chapter 30: Is It Really You?
Chapter 31: Belonging
Chapter 32: Flip The Coin
Chapter 33: Swan Song

Chapter 7: Ulterior Motives

462 20 5
By Small_Raging_Turtles

Chapter 7: Ulterior Motives

Peridot didn't remember going back to the temple and when she woke up she didn't find any answers waiting for her. The place was empty.

She groaned as she sat up. Red had done a real number on her. Her gem seemed to be the only thing that wasn't harmed. Even after regeneration, the injuries were still there.

Peridot pulled herself off the couch. She was limping and she barely had any energy left. Still, she somehow managed to make her way to the temple door which she knocked on timidly. She could only hope that the others were in there. Peridot sank to the floor disappointedly when nobody came out.

•••••

"That wasn't part of the plan." Sapphire glared at Lapis harshly. Pearl and Amethyst shared a worried look whereas Steven stayed silent, still thinking about Peridot and if she'd reformed yet.

"To be fair, there wasn't much of a plan to begin with." Lapis paced around the barn. "Besides, if I intervened anymore than I did, I could've blown my cover. I'd rather Peridot be injured than dead."

"Lapis is right," Pearl spoke up. "Having her on the inside is integral to us. Lapis had to do what she had to do. If she hadn't been there, Peridot would've died."

Sapphire still wasn't convinced.

"How did they know Peridot was there?" Sapphire asked, "You said Jasper and...and Red don't patrol. That they wouldn't of noticed her there."

Lapis swallowed. "I was wrong."

"Wrong? Or did you tell them we sent her? If we can't trust you with a simple mission then how can we-"

"Maybe we should go back to the temple and regroup." Steven walked over to Sapphire and put a hand on her shoulder. "We can check on Peridot too."

"I'd love to come," Lapis sighed, "But sadly I have to get back to the Kindergarten." Lapis stopped in front of Sapphire as if she was going to say something more but decided against it and left without another word.

The others warped back to the temple where they saw Peridot lying on the floor, playing with a floating spoon.

"Yo Peri," Amethyst greeted in relief. "You're up."

The spoon fell on Peridot's face once she stood up, although she did so with difficultly. She smiled at the group anyways. At least she finally had company.

"Oh, how are you feeling Peridot?" Pearl asked, noticing the gem was still in pain.

"I'll survive," Peridot nodded, sitting back down on the couch.

"Did you get the files?" Pearl walked over to the kitchen to make some tea.

"Huh?" Peridot frowned. "Oh, right..." Peridot reached in her pocket and pulled out the small, crushed bits of the flash drive.

"Dang," Amethyst sighed. "So this whole thing was a bust then?"

"Maybe not," Peridot shook her head. "When we were fighting, Red said some things that I think might help us."

"You can fill us in later," Sapphire said. "You should get some rest for now."

Peridot nodded, "Thanks."

The gems soon dispersed until it was only Sapphire and Peridot left in the room.

"How was she?" Sapphire asked quietly.

Peridot shook her head, not meeting Sapphire's eyes. "She's bad. I mean...really bad. She's farther gone than any of us could have anticipated."

Sapphire didn't seem to respond. After a moment she asked something else.

"Do you trust Lapis?"

Peridot thought about it. "I saw the way Lapis looked at me when Red was about to shatter me. I don't think she wants Red and Jasper to win. And I don't think she wants to see them hurt us. So...yes. I trust her."

Sapphire nodded.

"Do you?" Peridot asked.

Sapphire took a longer pause.

"I trust your judgement." Then Sapphire thought back to Lapis's escape. "And I trust Ruby's."

Peridot nodded.

"Get some rest Sapphire."

"You too."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

74.1K 2.1K 24
The crystal gems won the war, and all that is left of the gems from homeworld are Jasper, Lapis, and Peridot. Steven is the son of pink diamond, a wa...
2.9K 147 29
(A Lapidot human AU) Peridot Greene, a 22-year-old attendee at Homeworld University, straight A student, never causes any trouble amongst the student...
285K 7.2K 64
You are one of a kind. Well, at least that's what your father said. Not in a good way tho. Ever since you were born to Earth, all of the blames was...
1.5K 53 18
Garnet, Amethyst and Pearl have been captured! Join Steven and Connie in their goal to get them back and defeat Homeworld! DISCONTINUED