Weaver of Darkness

By melissalwebb

Seventeen-year-old Liss Taylor wants nothing more than to be normal. All she wants is to graduate high school... More

Prologue
(Part 1: The Summoning) Chapter 1
chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
(Part II: The Awakening) Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
(Part III: The Fall) Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
(Part IV: The Crowning) Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Epilogue

Chapter 21

878 86 1
By melissalwebb

Chapter 21

Liss sat next to Sarah, staring at the blank notebook in front of her. She had homework she needed to finish, but the words wouldn't come. All she could think about was the fire at the Granary and how her dream mirrored it perfectly.

She glanced around the library. They were the only ones there. It wasn't surprising, though. An accident of this proportion didn't go unfelt in a place like Night Oak.

Her heart ached for all the students who hadn't come to school, those who'd been touched personally by the tragedy.

Sighing, she set her pen down. Death had come to their small town and decided to stay.

Whatever happened, though, she couldn't let it take up permanent residence.

She knew something was in town and it needed to be stopped, but how? She had no answer for that. She couldn't do anything about it, except stand there while everyone around her died. She brushed angrily at the tear which slid from the corner of her eye. Yeah, crying was going to solve everything.

She felt eyes on her. She glanced up, realizing Sarah was staring at her.

Her friend was silent for a moment, looking thoughtful. Finally, she spoke, "Are you okay, Liss?"

Liss groaned. "If this is going to turn into one of those psycho-therapy sessions, you can save it, Dr. Phil. I don't want to hear it."

"I'm sorry. I'm just worried."

"I am, too, Sarah."

"This is too much," she said, chewing her lip. "I mean, hasn't this town had enough bad luck to last a lifetime?"

"You think the explosion was a coincidence?"

Sarah blinked. "Well, yeah. Don't you?"

Liss closed her eyes, seeing the flames once again and the red eyes staring down at her. "No. I don't"

"I know weird things are happening right now, but I don't think everything in the world has to do with..."

"With what, Sarah? What were you going to say? With me?"

Sarah shrugged, looking at her. "Yeah. That's it exactly. Not everything is about you. I don't know what it means, but not everything is a message for you."

Liss stared at the girl across from her. How could she say something like that? "How long have you known me, Sarah?"

"I don't know. Sometimes, lately, it seems like I don't know you at all."

Liss blinked back tears. "Maybe you should put a little more faith in me." She stood up, grabbing her things. "I don't know how to convince you any other way." She turned and stumbled into someone. "Sorry," she muttered absently, stepping around them.

Hands shot out, gently steadying her. "Are you okay?"

Looking up, Liss found herself staring into green eyes. "Mark."

Sarah was at their side in an instant. "Hey, how's it going?"

He looked at Liss a beat longer, then let his gaze drift over to her. "Better than some people, I see."

"Yeah. She's been having a rough time lately."

Liss took a step back, frowning at her friend. "Yeah, and it keeps getting worse. I've got to go."

"Hey, wait. I wanted to talk to you," Mark said, stopping her.

Liss noticed the hopeful look in his eyes. She'd only talked to this guy once. What could be so important? "What is it?"

"Did you lose someone in that fire?"

"What?"

He shrugged. "Well, you look so upset. Given the set of circumstances, I just figured..."

"No, that's not it. I've just had a lot to deal with."

Mark frowned, concern touching his eyes. "I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything I can do?"

Sarah looked at him, then Liss, and rolled her eyes. "Perfect," she muttered.

Liss glanced at her friend for a moment. "No, I've got it under control. Is that what you wanted to talk to me about?"

"What? Oh, no," he replied with a chuckle. "I almost forgot. I was talking to Mrs. Smith. You know, the English teacher?"

She nodded. Her class was one of her favorites.

"Well, I noticed this school doesn't offer a creative writing class. I was talking to her about options for writers around here. She told me I should talk to you about a group you're in."

"Well..." she began.

"Oh, the group. I could tell you all about that," Sarah said, batting her eyelashes at him.

He looked down at her. "Well, I was kind of hoping you would take pity on the new kid," he said, flashing a dazzling smile. "I'd like to join."

Sarah smiled. "I don't think that would be a problem."

"We'll have to talk to the others, Sarah," Liss said, giving her friend a pointed look.

Sarah ignored her, staring at Mark.

He glanced over at Liss. "Of course. Ask them. I understand how these things work." Mark paused for a moment. "You know, on second thought, maybe this can wait. You have enough on your mind right now without me adding to it."

"Thanks. I appreciate that." She looked over at Sarah, who was still drooling. "You should get Sarah to tell you about it, though. About the town, too. I know she'd love to play tour guide."

Sara gave her a thankful look. "Yeah, that would be great. I know this town like the back of my hand." She smiled up at Mark and continued, "While we're at it, I'll tell you all about the group."

"Um, sure, that would be great," Mark said, looking back at Liss. He looked like he wanted to say something else.

Liss held his gaze for a moment. She couldn't get a read on the guy. Why did he seem so concerned for her?

Does he know something?

Liss shivered, hugging her books tighter. No, she was being paranoid. He'd been nothing but nice to her. She needed to stop trying to make everyone a bad guy. "You two have fun," she said, giving Sarah a smile.

"There you are," Ben said, making his way over to them.

"Hey," Liss greeted him.

He smiled and looked over at Sarah. "Hi, Sarah."

"Hi, Ben," she said, her eyes never leaving the new guy. "Do you know Mark?"

He looked over at him. "Eighth wonder, right?"

She scowled, her face turning slightly red.

Mark took no notice. "Hey, Ben. Nice to meet you," he said, offering his hand.

Ben shook it. "Yeah, you, too."

"Mark's going to join the Circle," Sarah spoke, smiling deeply.

Ben frowned. "Really? I thought there was an initiation to go through." He looked over at Liss. "I thought we decided as a group who got in."

"We do."

Glancing back at Mark, he said, "I mean, no offense, man, but this is the way it's always been done. There are rules."

Mark shrugged. "It's okay. I know people sometimes have a hard time taking in strangers." He glanced at Liss. "I'll see you later." He turned and walked out of the library.

"Ben, do you have to be so rude?" Sarah snapped. "Mark's new here. He's trying to figure out where he belongs." She shook her head in disgust. "How would you feel if we treated you like that? Not very good, I imagine." Flicking her hair over her shoulder, she stormed out.

"Yeah, well, at least I got in the right way," he called after her.

"Quiet!" the librarian hissed, glaring at him from behind her desk.

"Sorry," he whispered. "Do you think I was too harsh with him?"

"I don't know, but I do agree this needs to be a group decision," Liss told him. "Sarah's not thinking clearly right now."

"She's always losing her head over some guy. If she keeps this up, it won't be the only thing she loses."

Liss looked at her friend, at the anger burning in his eyes and took a step back. Where had all this come from? How long had it been there? She was beginning to wonder what else she was missing around her and what the price might be for that lack of observation.    

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.7K 41 27
Jaci Garcia just wants to be normal. Have a normal family, friends, and day to day routine but all that's kind of hard to do with died parents. Being...
305 14 7
An Eighteen Year Old Teenager Named Kourtne Lyle Has Delt With Pain All Her Life And Is Finally Having The Time Of Her Life That Is Until Shit Comes...
7K 1.2K 27
He predicts death. She lives on the brink. Can he save her before it's too late? With one look, Will Brody knows how long you have left to live. Un...
95 7 24
Brianna Night is an almost normal 16- year old high school student. She has lived alone with her mother, Emily, since her father died in a car accide...