Exposed

By AliciaMarino

This is a sequel to Hidden. Please read that before this one or you will be lost! Matteo and Emma's story co... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Epilogue

Chapter Five

17K 998 36
By AliciaMarino

My fingers lazily drift over Matteo's pecs, his skin burning my cheek as we lay together in bed, reflecting on an exhausting day. I've felt every emotion imaginable, and only here, now, can I feel myself relaxing.

"I've been thinking about the living situation," Matteo suddenly says, disrupting the calm.

"Oh?"

"I thought about it a lot today, the pros and the cons of being together like this, right off the bat. And I began to see things differently. I think I got a bit nervous when you initially asked, simply because I don't want to let you down. It would destroy me to let you down again."

"I know everything won't always be easy, Matteo. I know that. I know I have things to work on too."

"Lying here, I find it hard to imagine anything better than this."

I sigh, contentedly. "There isn't anything better."

"I think we should then. I think you're right. We should try to do this right."

"Seriously? You're sure?"

He nods, smiling softly. "I am. I've come all this way. What's another leap?"

***

"Do you work on Christmas Eve?" Matteo asks, putting on his dark leather shoes. I look into the mirror, setting down my nude lipstick.

"No, I'm going with my family to a shelter to make Christmas dinner."

He chuckles. "God, you are a saint."

"I'm not. I've barely given anything to charity this year. I've gone once to NYMC."

"NYMC?"

"New York Mission Center. Homeless shelter."

He nods, standing. "How long does that usually last?"

"A few hours," I murmur, pressing my lips together. "You could... come with us?"

"Yeah, I'm sure your parents would love me crashing your tradition."

I walk over to him, smiling softly. "I think it would be great, to have you there."

I wrap my arms around his waist, resting my head against his chest, embracing him.

"I think I'll pass."

"All right, well, I left you the spare key on the counter and I've officially informed Marvin that you live here now."

He smiles and turns, walking to the desk for his wallet.

"What are you planning to do today?" I ask.

"Now that is a surprise," he states, smirking.

"Oh?"

He nods as I grab my purse, dressed in casual blue jeans and a white t-shirt, accompanied with converse. "Well, I'm off. Call me if you change your mind and I can give you the address."

"All right," he says. I turn hastily, already late. Mom and Dad are probably already there. I'm skirting around my couch when Matteo says my name.

He inhales, looking down, gearing himself to say something difficult. I wait silently.

"I've gone to that center, Emma. Back when I first got to New York... I want you to know that's why I don't want to go."

I blink. "You were homeless?"

"Yes, in and out of shelters."

"For how long?"

"Years. I know the owners of that place well."

He's never told me anything about his past, except for how his parents died and Julliard. This is news. "Wow."

"I don't want you to think I'm a complete ass, you know, that doesn't want to give back, but I just don't think I can go there."

"Wouldn't they like to see you doing well though?"

"Maybe, but I... just would prefer to stay behind."

I smile softly. God, he is trying. I walk to him and wrap my arms around his shoulders, kissing him deeply in an effort to show him how appreciative I am to have him opening up. He clasps my face just as I'm pulling back, looking deprived when I smile guiltily.

"I'm late."

"Ten minutes more won't hurt."

"Just ten?" I smirk, smacking his hand off my hip as he tries to pull me in.

"Ten minutes, baby."

I smirk and turn, shaking my head. "Nope, going to have to wait until later for that."

I hear his chuckle as I shut the door behind me.

***

"Mom," I announce in pleasant greeting, kissing her cheek. She's already in an apron, mashing potatoes by hand. Dad is beside her, peeling more. With their caps on, they look like the dynamic duo. I tie my apron, placing a name tag on it. "Where is V?"

"Couldn't come. She had plans already."

I nod, placing a cap on my head, tucking my hair in. Mom glances at me, suspiciously.

"Is Matteo coming?"

"No, he had plans today."

"Hm."

"I asked him right before I left," I press with no reason to have to defend him. He's not doing anything wrong.

"I see."

She knows exactly what to do to make me fume. Dad smirks slightly, knowing the workings of this family well. Smartly, he keeps his mouth shut, knowing at any second, either of us could blow. I decide it would be safer for her if I try to find someplace else to work. I end up at the line table as we prepare the plates and silverware. A few hours fly by before people begin to file inside, greeted with food on the tables. It's almost five when we actually begin to serve-my favorite part. The owners stand at the front of the long tables, giving merry tidings.

"Merry Christmas," I say, dropping a dollop of stuffing onto someone's plate.

"Oh my goodness!"

I look up in the chaos, seeing a man that looks suspiciously like the man I love, bending down awkwardly to hug Wendy, one of the owners. He straightens and I smile, finding it is Matteo. He glances around, looking rather lost until his eyes meet mine.

He came.

I wave awkwardly with my spoon and he points towards me, talking to the women. I gasp, realizing someone is waiting on me and quickly scoop.

"Oh, I'm sorry. Merry Christmas."

I'm practically beaming as Matteo comes behind the table, reaching for an apron off the wall. He comes by me and I blush as he presses his lips my cheek.

"You're here."

He nods, gesturing with his shoulder. "I'm being put to work. I'm needed at the pie table."

"Well, you better get to it," I reply, grinning as he heads to where Wendy is waving him over. I find that throughout the next hour I'm unable to stop myself from trying to get glimpses of him.

"So, he came then..."

I glance behind me, finding my father standing there. I clear my throat and nod. "How did you even know it was him?"

"Saw him come up to you," he says. "He's quite good-looking. I can see why you girls faun over him."

"He's more than his looks," I say sternly.

He places his hand on my back, rubbing. "Well, he came. I have to give him props for that, even if I don't like him for you."

"Dad."

"Don't dad me. I have every right to want you to find someone worthy of your affections. You are too giving sometimes."

"You don't even know him. Why are you going to judge him without even meeting him?"

"I'm not. I'm going to go introduce myself right now."

"No! Dad!" I hiss, grabbing his arm as he begins to move in his direction. "Just wait until tomorrow, please."

"We're about to leave and I'd like to at least introduce myself to him."

"I know you want to give him the rundown, but can you at least wait until we're in a private setting?"

He rolls his eyes, leaning down to kiss my cheek. "Your mother won't be happy. See you tomorrow, Em."

"See you tomorrow," I breathe, relieved when he turns back towards the kitchen. I unravel the drawstring, already headed towards Matteo. He's cleaning his hands, staring down into the soapy water. I come up behind him, wrapping my hands around his waist.

"Hello."

"Hello," he answers, peering over his shoulder amusedly.

"I thought you weren't going to be able to make it."

"Yeah, well, I had time after the errands."

I rest my cheek against his back. "I'm really glad you could."

He nods, drying his hands. "Yeah, me too."

"My parents left."

He's quiet for a moment. "Oh, I thought maybe I'd meet them today."

"I thought it would be better tomorrow, so it's easier."

"Easier? On Christmas morning?" he questions, a brow raised wryly. I smirk and bite my lip.

"I have to go, but we can't go home together."

"Why?"

I smirk, taking off my cap. "Oh, just errands."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

20.5K 847 21
Two years have passed since Thomas and Rose's tumultuous adventure at sea. Thomas has graduated university and has found success as a novelist, and h...
110K 2.6K 20
*THIS BOOK HAS A SEQUEL* ❤️❤️❤️
118K 3.3K 10
Rosabella Moretti has accepted a job as a maid from her mother's good friend, after her mother passed away. She only heard that the woman has been w...
37.3K 836 58
Ava gets kidnapped by her parents enemy and she's kept hidden so Matteo Giordano doesn't finds her. She gets tortured but she meets someone that's he...