THE OUTCASTS

By AnamarijaPetric

After the Great War, the world has changed for good. No more war and terrorism. However, unknown to the commo... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18

Chapter 19

3 0 0
By AnamarijaPetric

Neji spent the last two days at the infirmary with Captain Barton who kept going in and out of consciousness. The kid, Phillips left the first night claiming he had other business to do other than babysit me, but he would come every morning bringing me a breakfast tray and a paper magazine that dated fifty years. They wouldn't let Neji anywhere near technology that had a simple transition unit. Which was smart. But even if he wanted to he wouldn't have run away. There was something he had to do first and gathering intelligence in a place like this wasn't supposed to be hard since they were mostly civilians, yet they were quite careful not to let anything slip. Besides, he didn't want Barton here alone. No matter how and why he got here. He was still a captain of the Guard.

The doctor kept him updated on his condition and even offered a bed to rest. Keeping his hands cuffed to one of four seats made him uncomfortable, but he would be damned if he let that show. They saw enough of him being weak.

Neji's thoughts drifted off to the Red-Headed She-Devil at one point. He remembered that Barton was one of the guards at the prison she served time. Somehow, he thought, this was all a too much of a coincidence and something didn't add up. Even as he felt his eyes closing after a good lunch, he kept himself awake. The tray filled with scraps of potatoes was still on him. He guessed he should put it back on a small table next to him. He didn't. He didn't care all that much.

Neji smelled smoke before he saw it. An old looking monitor was on fire in Barton's room. He tried to get up, knocking the plate on the floor. The sound of smashing plates filled the silence as Neji was pulled back by his cuffed hand. He tugged on it but it was too tight and the smoke started to get worse. It reached another monitor. This one shabbier than the other.

Barton started to cough vigorously. He was going to die if Neji didn't do something.

Why isn't there an alarm in this place? He thought miserably.;

The fire was spreading and by some luck it hadn't caused an explosion yet.

Neji yelled calling for help.

Why wasn't anyone there?

At that moment a red-headed figure banged through the infirmary doors holding a fire-extinguisher.

Evans was covered from head to toe in stickers, her hair tied in a messy bun that looked like it battled wind and lost.

Behind her another girl with blue hair came running also holding a fire-extinguisher and together they tried to extinguish the fire. Phillips and a man he couldn't recognize came into the room, and went straight to them with Phillips briefly glancing at Neji.

Someone shouted something.

Phillips and the unknown man helped Barton get out of bed and out of the room. Phillips checked his condition and murmured something to the other man who nodded and murmured back.

It felt like he was the only one out of the loop with the situation.

The unknown man went to where the two girls were finished with putting out the fire. He tried to take the extinguisher from Evans, but pushed him back. The man yelled at her and she yelled back. The other girl was fighting with the opening as it wouldn't stop spraying foam. As she at first glance managed to close it she came to stand by the two of them and the tube broke, causing the foam to spray all over Evans and the other guy.

Neji almost managed to smile. At least at how ridiculous they both looked. Now Evans looked even worse and she fixated her eyes on Neji like she could feel him laughing at her.

She gave him a rude gesture before exiting the patient's room and going to Phillips and Barton who was still coughing.

Doctor Santana came into the room, followed by their leader and Sargeant Tucker who all demanded to know what happened. Tucker accused Neji, the woman told him it wasn't the time and Santana inquired about his health.

"I am fine. But Barton isn't." Neji said and they all went to him. They transferred Barton to another room in a matter of minutes. Which was the only other patient's room in this place. After he stabilized they all came back to Neji, surrounding him. He noticed Santana remained with his patient.

"What happened?" Evans was first to break the silent glare they were all giving him.

"If I tell you that I don't know will you believe me?" He asked back, still cuffed and ready to prove his innocence. Besides, Barton was one of his. No matter what these people say. He was one of the Guard and he almost died. Evans and her group of criminals weren't the only one who wanted answers. And so he told them what happened in detail. After he was done the glaring toned down, but Kala still demanded to know how it happened. He understood that. This was her establishment from what he gathered in these couple of months. This was her team of criminals. She was responsible for them. Just like he was. Even if she was pissed, Kala kept her composure like a leader and soon ordered everyone who was here to tell their side of the story. After that Phillips and the blue-haired girl who was with Evans escorted him back to his cell. And then he noticed a few changes made to his cell. 

"We redecorated a little." Said Phillips. "Don't thank me. It was her idea." He pointed towards the girl.

"Don't point that finger at me Philips. It's rude." She scolded Phillips in an accent and then turned towards him. "And you're welcome. Nobody should sleep in a boring room." If she only knew.

"My name is Hally."

"What are you doing here Hally?" Neji asked as he sat on 'let's call it his' bed.

"What we all are." She responded making an eye contact. He noticed her eyes were brown.

"And what would that be?"

"Cercando di aiutare." Hally said in what he figured was Italian and then left, leaving him with Phillips alone.

"I still don't understand why you didn't escape the other night." Phillips asked, locking the cell door.

Neji was silent for a moment like he didn't know either. It was a decision he made in a moment. But for some reason he knew that it was the right one. Something was happening. Not just in this place, but in the city and Neji had an idea that it all originated here. He felt as if he was betraying his family and team by staying here. He just hoped that they got his message and that they would understand.

When he looked back up, Phillips was gone, but a familiar red-head was in his place and she looked pissed. 

It's an old mansion so of course it has an old 'let's call it dungeon'. But with way more tech and color. So don't worry, our boy is just fine. 

Or is he?

Hally's hair grew a bit.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

11.7K 284 42
My sister and I have been waiting, I fear our parents will never come. What did come was a droid, and along with it came an adventure, a war between...
15.8K 155 82
a list of an Upcoming Clone Wars AU made by Me and @DjMandalore141
208K 3.9K 174
An accident. She's pregnant. How unlucky. She got pregnant in one shot! What was even more unfortunate was that the end of the world had arrived, and...
1.7M 112K 68
Mankind is evolving. Some love it, some fear it. Some embrace it, some envy it. For Zoey, the evolution of man has always been in the darkest part of...