Chapter 8

The drive seemed to have lasted for hours, until they had finally stopped. But when she looked at their late father's old watch on Cole's hand it only lasted for less than half an hour.

Opening the van door's her brother stepped outside and Jane followed. It was then that she saw an enormous old mansion made out of red bricks and big windows which were now half closed with wooden and metal plates. They were standing in the driveway of it when she heard Kala Lance say to her „Welcome to our home. Come with me please Jane. We have much to talk about." Cole signaled to follow her as she made her way inside.

It was then I saw another van pull up and a large man carrying a limp body. He carried the Captain of the NY Guard like he weighed no more than a small childe when she had a devil of a time when she half carried him on her shoulders to the warehouse. His wrists were bound and his hair was sticking to his forehead as the man who carried him head for the inside.

If you'd look outside the mansion would appear to you as just an old, abandoned building that even the mice would avoide. The corridor that led to the main room looked disgusting and so did the room up ahead, but Kala and Cole just passed inside and when her brother signaled her to enter she was breathless. The walls weren't brown and decaying, they were dark blue and silver with many pictures and clocks that showed different time zones.

A large, old map of the city was strung on the right side where they were several brown and grey couches filled with people drinking something and watching holopads. There was a large staircase that led to the second and third stories of the mansion and she noticed that the gallery above them was filled with more people painting. There was a faint sound of music. The kind that they used to play in malls.

Taking it all in she hadn't noticed when her brother put his hand on her back, smiled one of his full-show teeth smiles and led her to the people who were sitting on couches.

Jane noticed a girl about her own age with bright azure short hair and olive skin who chatted with other two girls with more enthusiasm than she had seen on race cart drivers finishing their last lap. When the girl noticed them approaching she almost jumped. „Cole, your're back!" she yelled and gave him a huge bear hug.

„Hally. My little imp!" Cole said as he hugged her back. Then he put her down and introduced me. „Hally, this is my baby sister J.J. J.J., this is Hally Carrara. My other sister."'

„It's Jane. Don't listen to my brother. Nobody calls me J.J."

„Non ti preoccupare Jane. I have heard so much about you." She said as she took  my hands and gave me a big smile.

„I on the other hand haven't heard anything about you." Someone on the couch made a grunting noise.

„I couldn't tell you." Cole suddenly said.

„But you will tell me everything. Right now."

„I'm afraid he couldn't tell you. Not while you were in Arville." Kala said out of nowhere. Jane didn't even noticed her gone. „Please, my dear. Come with us. There is much to show you."

„It was nice meeting you. Come and find me after you are done with your tour." Hally said.

„Umm, sure." I said as they led me in one of the endless corridors. When I looked back  I found Hally sitting back on her spot chatting again.

We passed the gallery and went into one of the corridors with several doors all in large distance from each other, when suddenly we stopped in front of the last door painted white. Kala swiped her wrist over what looked to be a scener and the doors opened.

Jane was dumbstruck to say the least. The whole room was buzzing with men and women of all ages and cultures as they all appeared to have been working. They were all serious, communicating with each other only if it was needed. She could feel the buzzing. The energy coming from the computers. In the center of the room was a large square desk with holographs on them. They were showing the Earth's Defense system that came online years ago. One of the first cooporation programs between every continent in the world. One hundred and ninety-six stations all over the world that connected the world, creating a barrier around it that could detect, deactivate and monitor every and all air space, earth and sea transport, missiles and terrorist attacks. Even though most of the world's terrorist's have been dealt with, there are still a few minor groups operating in remote countries trying to seize control again.