Chapter 19

Neji spent the last two days at the infirmary with Captain Barton who kept going in and out of consciousness. The kid, Phillips left the first night claiming he had other business to do other than babysit me, but he would come every morning bringing me a breakfast tray and a paper magazine that dated fifty years. They wouldn't let Neji anywhere near technology that had a simple transition unit. Which was smart. But even if he wanted to he wouldn't have run away. There was something he had to do first and gathering intelligence in a place like this wasn't supposed to be hard since they were mostly civilians, yet they were quite careful not to let anything slip. Besides, he didn't want Barton here alone. No matter how and why he got here. He was still a captain of the Guard.

The doctor kept him updated on his condition and even offered a bed to rest. Keeping his hands cuffed to one of four seats made him uncomfortable, but he would be damned if he let that show. They saw enough of him being weak.

Neji's thoughts drifted off to the Red-Headed She-Devil at one point. He remembered that Barton was one of the guards at the prison she served time. Somehow, he thought, this was all a too much of a coincidence and something didn't add up. Even as he felt his eyes closing after a good lunch, he kept himself awake. The tray filled with scraps of potatoes was still on him. He guessed he should put it back on a small table next to him. He didn't. He didn't care all that much.

Neji smelled smoke before he saw it. An old looking monitor was on fire in Barton's room. He tried to get up, knocking the plate on the floor. The sound of smashing plates filled the silence as Neji was pulled back by his cuffed hand. He tugged on it but it was too tight and the smoke started to get worse. It reached another monitor. This one shabbier than the other.

Barton started to cough vigorously. He was going to die if Neji didn't do something.

Why isn't there an alarm in this place? He thought miserably.;

The fire was spreading and by some luck it hadn't caused an explosion yet.

Neji yelled calling for help.

Why wasn't anyone there?

At that moment a red-headed figure banged through the infirmary doors holding a fire-extinguisher.

Evans was covered from head to toe in stickers, her hair tied in a messy bun that looked like it battled wind and lost.

Behind her another girl with blue hair came running also holding a fire-extinguisher and together they tried to extinguish the fire. Phillips and a man he couldn't recognize came into the room, and went straight to them with Phillips briefly glancing at Neji.

Someone shouted something.

Phillips and the unknown man helped Barton get out of bed and out of the room. Phillips checked his condition and murmured something to the other man who nodded and murmured back.

It felt like he was the only one out of the loop with the situation.

The unknown man went to where the two girls were finished with putting out the fire. He tried to take the extinguisher from Evans, but pushed him back. The man yelled at her and she yelled back. The other girl was fighting with the opening as it wouldn't stop spraying foam. As she at first glance managed to close it she came to stand by the two of them and the tube broke, causing the foam to spray all over Evans and the other guy.

Neji almost managed to smile. At least at how ridiculous they both looked. Now Evans looked even worse and she fixated her eyes on Neji like she could feel him laughing at her.

She gave him a rude gesture before exiting the patient's room and going to Phillips and Barton who was still coughing.

Doctor Santana came into the room, followed by their leader and Sargeant Tucker who all demanded to know what happened. Tucker accused Neji, the woman told him it wasn't the time and Santana inquired about his health.