Chapter 16

While having a very educating conversation with Doctor Santana about how reduced shark numbers was one of the reasons for upgrading medical supplies in South America, a guard burst open through the doors of the basement/cell Neji had been calling unwanted bedroom for a couple of months now. He demanded the doctor to come with him, but didn't say for what reason other that it was urgent. Most likely because he didn't want Neji to know. Which meant that it was important and it had to do with this little organization that held him prisoner.

The doctor offered apologies and left him a book by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, who Neji had mentioned in one of his conversations with the good doctor who offered him company. Neji didn't know if Santana liked to converse with him because of his intelligence or he was here to gather slipped information.

Nevertheless, he didn't mind the company. Even when the doctor mentioned that red headed devil of the Evans girl who was apparently doing well for herself here. Neji didn't care much other that it proved useful information about the organization. And so he would let the doctor speak.

It had taken a few moments for Neji to notice that he hadn't heard the familiar click of the cell being locked.

He took a deep breath. And kept holding it until he reached the bars and the glass of the electric door.

There was no familiar silent hum of them.

They were unlocked.

Neji slowly released his breath he was still holding.
Had the doctor forgot to lock them, or he left them open on purpose?

A trap? A test? Or help?
He doubted that.
Neji slipped on the hoodie he was given and Guard issued boots that were underneath the small night cabinet and slowly opened them, looking out for just a second before he stepped out.

In the darkness he noticed that it was visibly colder than in his cell as he made his way toward the basement door.

He listened and waited, but there was no one on the other side of the door. And the cameras weren't working for a couple of weeks now.

The doors too were unlocked.

This wasn't a coincidence.

This wasn't a rescue either.

This was an escape.

A Guard escaping a makeshift prison with population of one inmate.

Neji entered the corridor and began ascending the steps. There was no one and it was then he noticed that the power was out.

No light, no hum.

He noticed that he was at the main hall of the house. Or rather a mansion.

Even in the darkness he could see the big staircase lit with candles that showed paintings and a small sitting place where half eaten food was.

There were two options for him right now in a big mansion where he didn't know his footing.

One, was to go down into the corridor on his left and the other to his right.

And so he went with his gut feeling and went left.

Which he noticed was not such a good idea, but he had to continue. It was too dangerous to turn back in case someone went to check him in his cell and find him missing.

And so down the abnormaly long hallway he went. It was when he noticed the small flickering white and blue light of a holo underneath the slightly opened doors that Neji stopped.

There was no one inside the small room.

Should he go in and maybe find a map, or a pad or an old smart phone.