Chapter 10

Picture of Kala Lance included

For the second time in a very short period, Neji didn't know where he was. His wounds ached and his body was sore. He was thirsty and he was pretty sure that a bubble of rage was growing inside of him. Neji tried to get up but there was a growing pain in his head that made him want to vomit. Slowly he looked around while he tried to ease himself up as he put a hand on a wall when he noticed that it was made out of bricks. They were a bit damp and wherever he was it smelled like moss, dust and old wood. However, it wasn't cold, which meant that where ever he was there was a source of heat. There was a small source of light and he had a trouble seeing.

It was then he noticed that he could see a faint smeer of his reflexion. Bulletprof glass.

„Shit." He mumbled

He started to remember what happened before as he presumed was knocked out cold. The girls his team brought to the HQ per his mother's request, the Evans girl that managed to escape through the emergency floor door. Then the run in with the Reapers and her tending of him before her brother found them with whoever those people were.

He tried to recall what he knew about the Evans siblings when he heard footsteps. Neji tried to stand up. He didn't want to appear weak in front of his captors. The footsteps were getting louder. They were smooth, elegant. Probably a woman then. She was tall, slender, her skin dark. Her dark hair was cut to her chin and as she stopped a few meters from him, he noticed that she was looking at him with a mix of suspicion and something else he couldn't quite catch. Her voice was soft as she spoke and he remembered her.

„ It's morning of First of October if you are interested of the time. However, for the place. That is classified."

When she noticed I kept quiet she continued.

„Do you know why you're here?"

„I don't even know where „here" is or who are you."

„My apologies Captain. I know your name and it is only fair I give you mine. My name is Kala Lance. I'm in charge here." She looked at him before she continued. „The reason we brought you here is because we understand that Major Shay has plans for the girls you arrested yesterday. What can you tell me about that?"

„Nothing." Which was true, but she didn't know that. Neji tried to use his right arm to activate the locator on his handcuffs when he remembered that they were probably still at the warehouse. His team was probably still searching for him. 

If there was a way for him to activate some sort of a signal then they could find him and arrest these people. That Evans girl included. He didn't care that she had saved him from the Reapers and their brutal beating then mended him. She was a criminal just like the rest of her siblings.

„If you are wondering about the wereabouts of Jane Evans, I assure you she is well." She chuckled.

" I know that look in your eyes even if you are trying to hide it. You failed at your mission when she got away from you. And now to top it all you have been captured by unknown forces and imprisoned."

„You kidnapped a captain of the NYC Guards. There will be consequences for that."

„Probably. But then again perhaps not. Captain, there are worse things than us out there. Us outcasts that are trying to survive in today's world. You know this." She turned to get out when she spoke again. 

„I suggest you make yourself comfortable Captain. There will be a doctor to come and look at you in a few moments. You will be here for a while."

Humph. Bitch. He had to get out of here. No matter the pain that was slicing through his abdomen as he breathed, he had to find a way out.

The doctor Kala Lance had said would come was a short older man with greying hair holding a med kit in his left arm and a key card in his right that he used to step into his cell.

„Good morning Captain. My name is Doctor Santana. I was told that Miss Kala had already announced me." He spoke with a slight accent, his voice calm like he had fixed up captives on a daily basis. 

Maybe there were a pair of scissors or a scalpel he could use to get out of here. The doctor was older, he couldn't fight him. He wouldn't kill him though just threat him long enough to take the card and get out of here. 

Maybe he could take a guard or two, although he hadn't seen any, but he knew there were there. He could hear a faint murmuring in the right corner from where the light was.

 And then what? 

He didn't know where he was, but considering the fact there were over dozen men in the warehouse he wouldn't stand a chance. Not when his ribs were broken and they were armed. He silently cursed and the doctor looked at him curiously while he was opening the med kit and taking out a syringe and a scanner.

„I wouldn't bother trying to escape if I were you. I know you were hoping for a scalpel in there but I don't usually carry one when coming down here."

Damn, even though he tried to look indifferent, the doctor noticed. The old man had keen eyes. He's been through something. 

He knew that look. Some of the old veterans had them when he saw them at a celebration or a gathering when he was protecting the major.

„Now let me look at you." Doctor said as he checked his abdomen with a skener.

„I take it that those bruises on your forearms are from you're fall from the aircraft?" he asked as he put a salve on his bruises.

„I suppose."

„You are lucky. There are people who jumped from lower distance and ended up with a broken neck. Now let's see those ribs." Doctor Santana bended as he unwraped his bandages Evans put on him in the warehouse. 

„She did a good job considering the circumstances. Have you thanked her yet?"

„For what? Escaping? Yes, I thanked her as soon as I woke up cuffed to a pipe in an old warehouse in the middle of Reaper territory."

„As I recall, she saved you from them when she could have easily run off." Neji winced as doctor put a cooling gel and a balme to his bruises where his ribs are. Then he disinfected his arm and took the syringe he prepared to his arm. Neji hated them ever since he was a boy. „This will help with the pain. Your ribs will be healed in time. For now, rest and try to get some sleep. I know that these aren't the best of circumstances for you, but you will need your strength. Your breakfast should come shortly."

„I should thank you for fixing me up."
„This is my job muchacho. Although there is someone else you should be thanking as well."

„She is the reason I am in this mess."

„Perhaps you're right. Talvez no." Was all he said as he took his med kit and left Neji to his own thoughts in the semi dark.